[Today at 06:22:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So When Do We Buy Wojo's House?  (Read 6198 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
So When Do We Buy Wojo's House?
« on: October 27, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »
Or VT booster but Brent's spacious estate in Mequon?

http://www.businessinsider.com/crimson-tide-boosters-nick-saban-mortgage-2014-10

Crimson Tide Boosters Paid Off Nick Saban's $3 Million Mortgage Weeks After Saban's Agent Spoke To Texas

A private foundation set up "to help fund athletics" at the University of Alabama purchased the house of Nick Saban for nearly $3.1 million in 2013, according to Kent Faulk of AL.com. Saban and his wife continue to live in the house, and the foundation now pays the property taxes.

It is not unusual for football coaches at big universities to live in houses owned by others, whether by the school or school interests. But what is unusual about this situation is the timing of the transaction as well as that the deal will allow Saban to live in the house as long as he wants, even after he stops coaching the Crimson Tide football team.

According to the report, the foundation purchased the home from Saban in March 2013. That was just 10 weeks after Alabama won its third national championship under Saban.

That also means the mortgage was paid off by the foundation just weeks after Saban's agent spoke with University of Texas officials, which came days after the championship game, according to an AP report. Eight months later, a report surfaced that Saban's agent had told the University of Texas that his client would be willing to leave Alabama to become the next Longhorns head coach.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: So When Do We Buy Wojo's House?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:32:01 PM »
When you're hot, you're hot. And, when you're not, you're not, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »
But wait...but wait...shouldn't we buy Buzz's house first, for all he did for us? We must get the Sultan's sage advice.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 01:50:08 PM »

According to the report, the foundation purchased the home from Saban in March 2013. That was just 10 weeks after Alabama won its third national championship under Saban.

There's your answer.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:56:51 PM »
Pretty sure Saban would be liable for income tax on the market equivalent of rent.

In most cases, free housing is only nontaxable if it is for the convenience of the employer.  Unless that house is next to Alabama's football stadium, that's not the case.

Saban better hope that the IRS commissioner for the state of Alabama is not an Auburn grad.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 02:08:23 PM »
Pretty sure Saban would be liable for income tax on the market equivalent of rent.

In most cases, free housing is only nontaxable if it is for the convenience of the employer.  Unless that house is next to Alabama's football stadium, that's not the case.

Saban better hope that the IRS commissioner for the state of Alabama is not an Auburn grad.

He lives to fight another day...

http://revenue.alabama.gov/about-commissioner.cfm
University of South Alabama grad
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »
There's your answer.

Mark my words.... Benny B is in for $5,000 towards Wojo's house 10 weeks after his third tourney championship.  Who's with me?  Only 599 more to go.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
Mark my words.... Benny B is in for $5,000 towards Wojo's house 10 weeks after his third tourney championship.  Who's with me?  Only 599 more to go.

We're talking three championships in four years, right? 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »

598 to go.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:45:59 PM »
We're talking three championships in four years, right? 

Heck, I'll take three championships, period, even if it takes 20 years... gives me more time to come up with my five g's.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »
598 to go.

If Wojo stays long enough to give us three championships, over any time period, I will personally buy him a new house.

598 now down to zero

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »

Do I hear....gross up

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 07:40:15 AM »

Perhaps it is convenient in the sense that it is in Tuscaloosa, not Austin. You take a very narrow view of the tax code, Chick. Sure you don't work for the IRS?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 08:22:09 AM »
Perhaps it is convenient in the sense that it is in Tuscaloosa, not Austin. You take a very narrow view of the tax code, Chick. Sure you don't work for the IRS?

No, but my mom did - for 25 years.

Sounds like you are taking a very aggressive stance on this.  So, what is your social security number again, d?
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 08:30:47 AM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 08:48:49 AM »
If the IRS is investigating the free lunches at the tech firms and Silicon Valley, they damn well better be investigating Saban's house.  Even though the boosters are going to pick up that tab also eventually.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 09:38:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the IRS would view Saban's free housing as taxable.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/07/14/irs-sees-ohio-university-presidents-house-as-taxable.html

Told ya.  It's pretty tough to get tax-free housing unless your employer reasonably expects you to be physically available 24/7 or it is not practical for you to return to a private home each night (like working on a cruise ship).
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
No, but my mom did - for 25 years.

Sounds like you are taking a very aggressive stance on this.  So, what is your social security number again, d?

Where we come from Warriorchick, we call these folks "revenooouers." We don't give those guys our social security number!