[Today at 10:08:05 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: SLU Protest..  (Read 21036 times)

314warrior

• Starter
Re: SLU Protest..
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »

So the SLU president was really faced with three choices.  Call the police and get the protesters forcibly removed from campus.  Continue ignoring them and having a group of people living in the heart of your campus.  Or signing this document, which frankly doesn't include anything remarkable.

I'm not saying he did the right thing, but it's not as though he committed a great deal of university resources to sign this.  I bet half this stuff they already do.  I can see why he made the choice he did.

I agree.  Most action items probably align with current initiatives, and they all fit with SLU's mission.  I think university administrations frequently make these kinds of concessions to protests around race issues.  I'm out in California, and it seems like UC schools do this all the time. 

I think MU would behave similarly - offer to strengthen the school's connection and support of the surrounding community.  Hauling protestors off campus in police vans would be a terrible PR image.  Much more costly than a few constructive steps.

Side note: I wonder why the protestors didn't hit up Wash U.  Lots more money to be found on that campus if you're looking for some new outreach programs and a beefed up African Studies program.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
I agree.  Most action items probably align with current initiatives, and they all fit with SLU's mission.  I think university administrations frequently make these kinds of concessions to protests around race issues.  I'm out in California, and it seems like UC schools do this all the time. 

I think MU would behave similarly - offer to strengthen the school's connection and support of the surrounding community.  Hauling protestors off campus in police vans would be a terrible PR image.  Much more costly than a few constructive steps.

Side note: I wonder why the protestors didn't hit up Wash U.  Lots more money to be found on that campus if you're looking for some new outreach programs and a beefed up African Studies program.

I think Al Sharpton's beeper just went off.
Have some patience, FFS.

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »
I think Al Sharpton's beeper just went off.

Doubtful.  He probably doesn't like to cross paths with the Anti-Defamation League.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »
I think it's extortion plain and simple, and to Topper's point earlier....what prevents a group from doing the same thing at MU?  Granted you would have to have a larger controversy (ala Ferguson) to come in under to make it less arbitrary, but this could be a template.

I don't have an issue with the social cause ultimately served here by the agreement, they are noble causes.  However, I have multiple issues in the manner it which it was "forced" and the underhanded nature by which the university leadership went about it.

What would the SLU president have done had a group of students started protesting in chemistry building because of student debt, and they dangled the hook of "well we'll stop protesting if our protest group gets better funding, or our grades are improved one letter grade"?  I recognize it is an imperfect comparison, but I think it conveys the point.

Additionally, while the funding is minimal, where is it going to come from?  Is another program going to have funding reduced to support this agreement?  If so, can anyone with enough media leverage come in and demand funding changes at the university?

Lastly, was this whole episode conducted in an intellectually and academically honest way?  Is this an example of leadership we would want to pass on to the next generation currently enrolled at the university?

What would you have done if you were the SLU president?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »

Hire Larry Williams as Athletic Director and Sergeant-At-Arms.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2014, 09:13:02 PM »
Included in this link Is a clip of a protester at SLU a week ago:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/ferguson-protest-leader-raps-about-slapping-choking-raping-white-women-video/

Am I wrong or did the guy steal this bit from 1975-6?

http://youtu.be/vKXZCbpYgSo
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 01:13:50 AM »
I'll admit, I haven't been paying any attention to the situation. But is there no chance that there is any tampering or falsifying of the "forensics" or official statements, etc.? It wouldn't be the first attempt at a cover-up in a high profile situation

From CNN tonight.....imagine if they would have actually balanced the story from day one instead of months later.  Sigh

"In recent days, The New York Times received information from a federal source and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch was given Brown's autopsy report and spoke to a source with knowledge of the investigation. The Washington Post, meanwhile, reported that at least six black witnesses gave grand jury testimony that supported Wilson's side of the story."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 07:50:25 AM »

I would have disclosed what was going on and probably had an open dialogue with the protesters in front of the cameras.  I also would have waited them out a little bit, make them protest for a while before engaging to see if they are committed.

It's kind of like the filibuster thing in Congress.  If you want to filibuster, fine do it, don't just talk about it and have everyone follow along simply because you said you would filibuster.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 09:09:35 AM »
I would have disclosed what was going on and probably had an open dialogue with the protesters in front of the cameras.  I also would have waited them out a little bit, make them protest for a while before engaging to see if they are committed.

It's kind of like the filibuster thing in Congress.  If you want to filibuster, fine do it, don't just talk about it and have everyone follow along simply because you said you would filibuster.

Sounds like the good basis for an episode of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge to me.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 09:10:53 AM »
Sounds like the good basis for an episode of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge to me.

Man, I kinda miss that show.  I remember reading a USA Today in an airport as they breathlessly described that as where television would go for the next 10 years.  I think it was off the air a year later.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »
Man, I kinda miss that show.  I remember reading a USA Today in an airport as they breathlessly described that as where television would go for the next 10 years.  I think it was off the air a year later.

And not surprisingly, television indeed went there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2014, 10:17:29 AM »

OK that's a fair answer.  In other words you would have basically waited longer.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »

OK that's a fair answer.  In other words you would have basically waited longer.

Correct.  And to be fair to the prez, while I don't think this was done with integrity I do think from a PR perspective it was smart.  This doesn't have any legs, some SLU parents will be enraged for a while but it will go very quickly and quietly into the good night.  Not even the angry radio crowd is going to go after this with much if any fervor.

SLU pays a little bit of tribute and moves right along.

feedback