[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: SLU Protest..  (Read 21031 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
SLU Protest..
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »

Having graduated from Marquette and SLU Law, I must say the "Island" effect is jarring at SLU. Campus is 2.5 to 3 miles from the Arch and downtown St. Louis, and while it is an extremely well-manicured campus with statues and artificial ponds, the neighborhood goes south REAL fast once you get two blocks out in pretty much any direction.

Based on what is likely to happen in the St. Louis area in the next few weeks, I think a lot of parents of SLU kids are going to be rather happy for that island effect.  Just sayin....

warriorchick

• All American
SLU Protest..
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
Based on what is likely to happen in the St. Louis area in the next few weeks, I think a lot of parents of SLU kids are going to be rather happy for that island effect.  Just sayin....

Didn't stop the protesters from getting on Campus and using extortion to get what they wanted out of the school:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/10/here_are_the_agreements_that_ended_occupy_slu.php

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/slu-president-buys-off-occupyslu-protesters-hides-payoff-from-parents/
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
SLU Protest..
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »
Didn't stop the protesters from getting on Campus and using extortion to get what they wanted out of the school:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/10/here_are_the_agreements_that_ended_occupy_slu.php

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/slu-president-buys-off-occupyslu-protesters-hides-payoff-from-parents/

The way things are shaping up, things could get really really ugly in the next few weeks.  The forensics aren't matching the witnesses and that doesn't seem to matter as someone is going to pay, either through violence or property damage (or both).  I'm sure SLU is preparing, but the NY Times article yesterday, the Wa Post today and the Post Dispatch today, not going to be pretty.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: SLU Protest..
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
Split this off from the Warrior thread .. I had no idea about the SLU protests until you posted it.

Really fascinating event, solution, et cetera.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
The way things are shaping up, things could get really really ugly in the next few weeks.  The forensics aren't matching the witnesses and that doesn't seem to matter as someone is going to pay, either through violence or property damage (or both).  I'm sure SLU is preparing, but the NY Times article yesterday, the Wa Post today and the Post Dispatch today, not going to be pretty.

I'll admit, I haven't been paying any attention to the situation. But is there no chance that there is any tampering or falsifying of the "forensics" or official statements, etc.? It wouldn't be the first attempt at a cover-up in a high profile situation

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »
I'll admit, I haven't been paying any attention to the situation. But is there no chance that there is any tampering or falsifying of the "forensics" or official statements, etc.? It wouldn't be the first attempt at a cover-up in a high profile situation

Let's reverse the question, any chance witnesses made stuff up and "bear false witness?"   Let's not forget that feds are doing this stuff now by the Fed AG, not just the locals.  Three independent investigations in tandem.

The easiest thing to do is give up a body and let someone take the fall.  If it doesn't go that way, kind of kills your conspiracy theory in my opinion.  There is clearly an easy solution, but if that isn't what happens and Rome burns, it will be because the evidence backs that up.  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:24:31 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »
Who on this board would have any credible answer to this?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »
I'm sure SLU is working on contingency plans, but this may be a time they are quite happy to be in an island situation.  USC was in a similar fix when South Central burned back in the day, but because their campus is also "on an island" and the campus police did a great job of protecting life, property, etc.

We'll see how it goes, sure hope it doesn't get to that point, but based on the rehtoric in those articles and the claims of one side, well I'm glad my kids aren't at SLU at this point in time. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »
Let's reverse the question, any chance witnesses made stuf and "bear false witness?"   

This.

As someone who has had a neighborhood "witness" brazenly lie to a police officer about some wrongdoing I allegedly did to their friend, I am extremely sensitive to this.  For the record, it wasn't nearly as serious as murder.
Have some patience, FFS.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »
Let's reverse the question, any chance witnesses made stuf and "bear false witness?"   Let's not forget that feds are doing this stuff now by the Fed AG, not just the locals.  Three independent investigations. 

The easiest thing to do is give up a body and let someone take the fall.  If it doesn't go that way, kind of kills your conspiracy theory in my opinion.  There is clearly an easy solution, but if that isn't what happens and Rome burns, it will be because the evidence backs that up. 

Absolutely all possible. And, again, as I said, I haven't been following it. I don't have a conspiracy. Just acknowledging that there are many possibilities of how the conclusions can be drawn out. Any investigation can have many different influences. We all hope that the investigations have no bias or prejudice and let the facts do the talking. Many times, however, powers that be wield influence outside the scope of those facts. And you're right, it works both ways.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
I really, really hope that if the forensics show that the officer was justified, that some of the people who helped to lead the protests will work to keep things calm.  That's probably too much to ask.

I also hope that the Ferguson PD, as well as others, can learn from this how they can work to build greater trust within their communities so that the relationship isn't so adversarial.  That probably is also too much to ask.

My guess is that there will be no black and white answer.  Shades of gray that can be used to protest for and against, and by Fox, MSNBC and their ilk to support their agendas.

It will all be very depressing cause nothing will come of it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »
I really, really hope that if the forensics show that the officer was justified, that some of the people who helped to lead the protests will work to keep things calm.  That's probably too much to ask.

I also hope that the Ferguson PD, as well as others, can learn from this how they can work to build greater trust within their communities so that the relationship isn't so adversarial.  That probably is also too much to ask.

My guess is that there will be no black and white answer.  Shades of gray that can be used to protest for and against, and by Fox, MSNBC and their ilk to support their agendas.

It will all be very depressing cause nothing will come of it.

Good stuff

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »
Who on this board would have any credible answer to this?

I would argue everyone on this board has a credible answer to this as we can all point to examples in the past of wrong-doings by organizations or individuals during investigations that were later uncovered.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »

I've got a freshman daughter at SLU so I was following the occupy movement pretty closely. A week ago Sunday, they arrived on campus and kept it up until at least 2:30-3:00 am and continued through Saturday morning.  This is while mid-terms were going on.  It was extremely disruptive to the students and the pres. lied and said the protesters were students.  The lead protester was Jessica Hollie, aka Bella Eiko.  She's a professional protester from Oakland.  I figured they left because this past weekend was fall break and a lot of students were gone.  Either way, I'm glad they are gone.  

The protesters vowed violence if no indictment is handed down.  While the agreement permanently ends the encampment, my fear is that it won't prevent violence from occurring if Wilson isn't indicted, and it looks like he won't be.  
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
Split this off from the Warrior thread .. I had no idea about the SLU protests until you posted it.

Really fascinating event, solution, et cetera.
Which thread was this split from?

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 03:41:27 PM »
I've got a freshman daughter at SLU so I was following the occupy movement pretty closely. A week ago Sunday, they arrived on campus and kept it up until at least 2:30-3:00 am and continued through Saturday morning.  This is while mid-terms were going on.  It was extremely disruptive to the students and the pres. lied and said the protesters were students.  The lead protester was Jessica Hollie, aka Bella Eiko.  She's a professional protester from Oakland.  I figured they left because this past weekend was fall break and a lot of students were gone.  Either way, I'm glad they are gone.  

The protesters vowed violence if no indictment is handed down.  While the agreement permanently ends the encampment, my fear is that it won't prevent violence from occurring if Wilson isn't indicted, and it looks like he won't be.  

So what is you opinion and your daughters opinion of how the SLU prez handled this situation.  Seems pretty slimy to me.  I applaud the efforts in general, though it feels like extortion and to do so while at a minimum obfuscating the truth is no something I would accept from Prez Lovell.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 03:43:10 PM »
So is Marquette turning into SLU?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
So what is you opinion and your daughters opinion of how the SLU prez handled this situation.  Seems pretty slimy to me.  I applaud the efforts in general, though it feels like extortion and to do so while at a minimum obfuscating the truth is no something I would accept from Prez Lovell.
Like many other parents, we're not happy about the fact that we were lied to by the president.  My daughter, as well as many, many others, were clear that the vast majority of the protesters were not students but the prez consistently stated they were and that's why they were allowed to remain on campus.  It didn't give us a warm and fuzzy feeling that we felt we were entitled to in order to make us believe he was doing everything he could to keep our kids safe.  Is that too much to ask of a university?

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »

Yellow journalism. Provide the pictures, they'll provide the war.

The only thing that I'd add is that their agenda is more about attracting eyeballs than about ideology. If there were ratings in calm, measured, and objective reporting such a channel would exist... but alas...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »
Yellow journalism. Provide the pictures, they'll provide the war.

The only thing that I'd add is that their agenda is more about attracting eyeballs than about ideology. If there were ratings in calm, measured, and objective reporting such a channel would exist... but alas...

So, do we blame (some of) the media, which is simply chasing the necessary ratings (dollars), or the consumer for choosing to ignore calm, measured and objective reporting, and viewing the loud, blathering idiots on cable news instead?
After all, it's not the media's fault y'all prefer People to the The Economist and "The O'Reilly Factor" to "The McLaughlin Group."
There's plenty of calm, measured and objective material out there if you're willing to look for it. If you're like most people, you aren't looking.
It's a bit like blaming 7-11 for selling Big Gulps instead of sensible servings of pomengranate juice. Media outlets know exactly what you're watching/clicking on and when, and they're going to respond to those habits.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 05:50:09 PM »
Maybe some of us  read People to take a crap and the Economist for the left's slant, O'Reilly to hear  tough questions asked and the McLaughlin Group for things that don't get addressed elsewhere. Pretty elitist to paint persons you don't know with a condescending brush.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »
This.

As someone who has had a neighborhood "witness" brazenly lie to a police officer about some wrongdoing I allegedly did to their friend, I am extremely sensitive to this.  For the record, it wasn't nearly as serious as murder.
Did this have to do with acoustics at the neighborhood block party?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »
Maybe it's just me but I feel like if keefe made this thread it'd be locked by now...
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »
Maybe some of us  read People to take a crap and the Economist for the left's slant, O'Reilly to hear  tough questions asked and the McLaughlin Group for things that don't get addressed elsewhere. Pretty elitist to paint persons you don't know with a condescending brush.

If preferring The Economist to People makes me elitist, I'll gladly carry that label.
And I'm willing to wager there's not a big crossover market of people who read both publications.
I also suspect people who actually read The Economist do so for "the left slant."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 07:18:29 PM »
Did this have to do with acoustics at the neighborhood block party?

No.  When I was sixteen and a newly licensed driver, I was in downtown Nashville and I switched lanes without looking in my rear view mirrors.  I heard someone lean on their horn, and I swerved back into my original lane.  At the next stop light, the woman driving the other car came up to my window and started screaming, "You hit my car!" Then her passenger got out and started screaming at me as well.

I know I hadn't, and I told them that, but these women were very adamant and I was a shy, easily intimidated driver.  After a couple of minutes a policeman driving by saw us standing in the intersection and stopped.  The driver pointed to one of the dents on her car and claimed I caused it, and her passenger backed her up 100%.  The officer looked at these two unhinged women, looked at me, a sobbing girl in her Catholic school uniform, and then looked at the dent.

He very calmly said to the other driver, "You have a silver car.  There is blue paint on this dent.  This young girl here is driving a green car. It is obvious she did not cause this damage."  With that, he waited until the grumbling women drove off and made sure I  had calmed down enough to drive.

I hate to think all the trouble I would have ended up having to go through if that policeman hadn't backed me up.  But to this day, I remember how appalled I was that someone would tell such a bald-faced lie to a police officer.
Have some patience, FFS.