[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crean  (Read 15723 times)

PJDunn

• All American
Re: Crean
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »
At the end of the day it all comes back to the fake tan.  Everything else is window dressing.  Tom is a freak.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
Unless you are secretly longing for TT to return to MU, is there ANY reason for this thread to exist?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
At the end of the day it all comes back to the fake tan.  Everything else is window dressing.  Tom is a freak.
lol....but I disagree.

I do not mean to but in anyone's business but I too am wonder why we still knock Tom Crean.

Let me tell you something...EVERYTHING started with him.

Like it or not or whether you want to admit it or not. He brought Buzz here and the entire culture change when he got here. That is the bottom line...

There is not a spotless or perfect or stainless program in the country. But the foundation was laid by Tom Crean from Conference USA to the Big East from the old gym to 'the AL'...mark it down...he spearheaded it all.

You will never see me be so shallow as to knock or rip Crean or Buzz, Both were absolutely awesome for this University as Men's Basketball Coaches.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:52:33 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »
One could say a few. One could say multiple. Two is the actual number.

perfect

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »
Crean sucks

Like death and taxes, it's not a real thread until 4ever gets this in

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
lol....but I disagree.

I do not mean to but in anyone's business but I too am wonder why we still knock Tom Crean.

Like it or not or whether you want to admit it or not. He brought Buzz here and the entire culture change when he got here. That is the bottom line...

There is not a spotless or perfect or stainless program in the country. But the foundation was laid by Tom Crean from Conference USA to the Big East from the old gym to 'the AL'...mark it down...he spearheaded it all.

You will never see me be so shallow as to knock or rip Crean or Buzz, Both were absolutely awesome for this University as Men's Basketball Coaches.

It could be argued that it was Kevin O'neil that restarted it I mean Jim macilvine believes it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 12:04:22 PM »
It could be argued that it was Kevin O'neil that restarted it I mean Jim macilvine believes it.

So, what's the argument?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 12:05:01 PM »
Crean sucks
+1...he's a prick, too.

he served a purpose at MU, as he did at IU...he'll be gone as soon as they can afford to do so.  

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 12:05:52 PM »
lol....but I disagree.

Umm I am happy for you and your opinion but I completely disagree.   And I belive most would wholeheartedly disagree with you.  Mu was top 25 in attendance and in the tourney  a couple of times , once with a 4 seed and once off a conference championship with 2 nbaers on the roster a mere 2 years before Tommy Naismith invented the game at MU.  Stop reading his Bio and get real.  Mu to the Big EAst is on the shoulders of AL.  And again MU was attractive to Big Easts western expansion due to its history, market, attendance and on court performance well before tommy ever showed up.  I would give second billing to Kevin oneil as he cleaned up the mess left by the Majerus exit and Dukiet debacle.  
Maybe not shallow , simply uninformed.  Crean was no more than a steward and a dbag

source?

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »
One could say a few. One could say multiple. Two is the actual number.

I laughed.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »
So, what's the argument?

That we sucked... Bad. Kevin Oneil brings us to two ncaa appearances (s16) next we make the nit championship (not terrible better than flaming out) follow that with two more ncaa appearances. To at least have the program respectable in 90s before crean took over and brought us to a consistent major level.
Maigh Eo for Sam

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
https://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=205729292&sid=942&tid=205729292&style=1

What they are talking about on the IU board.

Maybe they need superfan chico to remind them of his accomplishments

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
Thank you, Coach Crean, for your accomplishments at MU.   IMO, your greatest, other than the Final 4 of course,  was lining up a successor who was a far better coach.   I don't hate the guy.   I fully appreciate the time and effort he put into MU.  But, if you look at Crean's overall record; 291-194, 7 NCAA tourney bids, 3 NIT bids, 5 seasons with no post season in 15 years as a head coach at high profile programs, it is difficult to make a case that he is much more than a slightly above average coach.  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:06:58 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

source?

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
https://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=205729292&sid=942&tid=205729292&style=1

What they are talking about on the IU board.

Maybe they need superfan chico to remind them of his accomplishments

I don't understand how to read that board. Do you have to click on each post? That seems absurd.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »
Let's examine life at MU before Tom Crean resuscitated a program that (as TC would have you believe) had gotten the death penalty right after Al retired and did not field a team for 22 years except for when Doc Rivers played by himself:

2 Years before - Conference Tourney Champs, NCAA bid, 10 seed, 1st Round
3 Years before - NCAA bid, 4 seed, 2nd Round
4 Years before - NIT Runner-up (IU would kill for one of these in 6 of the past 8 years)
5 Years before - NCAA bid 6 seed, Sweet 16

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
Let's examine life at MU before Tom Crean resuscitated a program that (as TC would have you believe) had gotten the death penalty right after Al retired and did not field a team for 22 years except for when Doc Rivers played by himself:

4 Years before - NIT Runner-up (IU would kill for one of these in 6 of the past 8 years)

So 3 NCAA bids, 3 NCAA wins and an NIT runner up in the 5 years pre TC versus 5 NCAA bids, 5 NCAA wins and no real NIT success in 9 years with TC. Thanks, Tom, for saving our program. LOL

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 02:09:48 PM »
Don't forget, out athletes couldn't even get new basketball shoes before he showed up, and there was so little interest in the program that he had to be introduced at the coffee shop at the AMU (both claims by TC).

The list of the last few years before Crean should be pinned to the top of the board. I got to enjoy 2003-2008 (also known as 1 NCAA win over a five year period). Talk about a basketball drought.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »

Dont forget....

6 Years before - NCAA bid

6 years before Crean took over at IU they were in the National title game. 

Tom Crean - Program builder
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 03:07:52 PM by River rat »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »
So 3 NCAA bids, 3 NCAA wins and an NIT runner up in the 5 years pre TC versus 5 NCAA bids, 5 NCAA wins and no real NIT success in 9 years with TC. Thanks, Tom, for saving our program. LOL

Not to mention that his predecessor who accomplished those things in the five years before Crean was dismissed from the position.  The school did not think that was good enough.  

To be fair, O'Neill somehow righted a sunk ship, but Crean reversed a burgeoning downward spiral under Deane.  Crean deserves a lot of credit for that, but if there is a post-McGuire savior, I vote for O'Neill.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:03:40 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »
That we sucked... Bad. Kevin Oneil brings us to two ncaa appearances (s16) next we make the nit championship (not terrible better than flaming out) follow that with two more ncaa appearances. To at least have the program respectable in 90s before crean took over and brought us to a consistent major level.

I did't think you meant to transpose Deane's accomplishments to KO but the bad sentence structure makes it seem that way. Otherwise, at least you kept it succinct and excluded the hatred so many around here seem consumed by.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 07:46:51 PM »

Interesting, especially when you reference Doc Rivers and Rivers said he resurrected the program, and Hank Raymonds said he built a monster.  Personally, I don't think he resurrected it, I think he made it so a lot of naysayers that said MU can never be good again drown in their BS.  We got to a place we hadn't been in 25 years.

A bit of clarification on what happened prior....

2 years before we had to win 4 games in a conference tournament to make the NCAAs....we then got drilled by 30+ points when we showed up at the dance.  We were not a good team, we got hot at the right time.  Classic crap shoot.

No, IU would not kill for a NIT runner-up, you're kidding yourself if you think this is the case, especially using the last 6 year time horizon.  Are you suggesting they would trade the two Sweet 16's for a NIT runner-up...please.

What seems to be missing is that from 1977 to 2003, a span of 25 seasons, we went to zero Final Fours and ONE Sweet 16.  A total of 9 NCAA appearances in the 25 years since the championship.  NINE.  A total of 5 NCAA tournament wins in those 25 years.  Crean's team practically equaled that in one year.

8 years later, the continued crapfest continues.  Some of you really should seek counseling.  Do you do this around Mike Holmgren?  Majerus?  O'Neill?    It is truly amazing to see, not much more I can say.  Par for the course for River Rat and Lenny, it's what they do.  Funny thing is that I know Mike Peeg's pretty well, interesting to see River Rat post on IU boards as an IU fan....pathetic, but interesting nonetheless.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
I am not a Crean hater. I certainly am not a Crean apologist.

Crean did reasonably well at Marquette. Helped stabilize the program. Brought in a very good successor. Recruited one of the best, if not THE best, player in school history. Coached us to the Final Four. Of course, that FF was his only great season, beginning to end, but he had a lot of good ones.

At Indiana, he has been OK. Going to back-to-back S16s in Years 4 and 5 at IU is good, obviously, but it's hardly legendary stuff. And then to follow that by not even making the NIT despite the presence of two high draft picks, certainly not impressive.

Crean has been a good college coach. He clearly doesn't live up to the hype that broadcasters have created, but it's not as if he has been bad.

He's not the village idiot. He's not a championship-caliber coach. He's in the middle, right there with dozens and dozens - and hundreds? - of others.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 08:05:39 PM »
I am not a Crean hater. I certainly am not a Crean apologist.

Crean did reasonably well at Marquette. Helped stabilize the program. Brought in a very good successor. Recruited one of the best, if not THE best, player in school history. Coached us to the Final Four. Of course, that FF was his only great season, beginning to end, but he had a lot of good ones.

At Indiana, he has been OK. Going to back-to-back S16s in Years 4 and 5 at IU is good, obviously, but it's hardly legendary stuff. And then to follow that by not even making the NIT despite the presence of two high draft picks, certainly not impressive.

Crean has been a good college coach. He clearly doesn't live up to the hype that broadcasters have created, but it's not as if he has been bad.

He's not the village idiot. He's not a championship-caliber coach. He's in the middle, right there with dozens and dozens - and hundreds? - of others.

This is a fair description of Crean the coach.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2014, 01:16:17 AM »
Unless you are secretly longing for TT to return to MU, is there ANY reason for this thread to exist?

None, but a few people here have serious issues.  It's been over 6 years and 6 months....some serious issues...

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »
Please - 3 years of walk-ons at IU???  Took 3 years just to recruit some scholarship players and get them on the court???  UK does this every year. 

What a crock of an excuse and not even true.  Nonetheless, even if true, who's fault is it that walk-on's are playing after the first year?  After all, "it's IU".  Top 5 national program.  Final Four coach.  Players would flock to go there, right?  Guess not...

feedback