[Today at 09:14:22 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by TheREALwrk
[Today at 09:11:45 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Cable Dish and MU  (Read 7045 times)

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
Cable Dish and MU
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
So I had cut the cord on Cable and Dish/Directtv after MU bball ended last season.  I sifted through and waited for the best sign-up deal and have bit the bullet and signed up yet again.  ONLY so I can watch MU games on FS1.  I literally have no other reason to pay the fees.  I can watch the Packers on my antenna and Netflix covers any shows my family enjoys watching.  And I am not a MLB fan.

Anyone else out there only have cable/dish because of MU hoops?
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

copious1218

• All American
Re: Cable Dish and MU
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »
We do not have cable solely because of MU, but the Mrs. and I discussed getting rid of cable, and I convinced her we have to keep it through the MU season. 

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »
Don't have cable/dish, but the best case for getting it would be MU hoops. I'd chip in $50/month during the season just for that, if that was an option.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
Maybe get someones TW login and use the fox sports go app. Not condoning it, but probably low risk. Not sure what they are including on there this year though. Anyone know what the deal is with DirecTV and Fox Sports Go?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:46:50 PM »
I do.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
Just renewed my cable today for FS1

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »
No doubt DirecTV is expensive...I pay like $120 a month for a mid tier package (we do have three receivers in the house, 2 DVR which makes it more expensive, and I have also had it over 2 years so all the rebates and stuff have worn off), but I also split it four ways.  Once CBB season starts, I add the SportsPack which is like $13 a month, and you can literally get every single MU game, and pretty much all power conference games.  It is pretty awesome for big CBB fans...but again, not cheap.

I am also a sports nut all the way around (love MLB, college hockey,NHL, NBA, NFL Sunday Ticket), so not having Cable has never really even crossed my mind. I wouldn't know what to do without it...but that's just me. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mreezybreezy

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
I think the Fox Sports Go thing requires a TV provider tied to it. I don't have cable but tried checking out the app quality during the World Series last night, at which point it prompted me for login credentials (used someone else's). Picture was good, but as far as I know it won't act as a standalone thing for now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
Maybe get someones TW login and use the fox sports go app. Not condoning it, but probably low risk. Not sure what they are including on there this year though. Anyone know what the deal is with DirecTV and Fox Sports Go?

Very few providers have a deal with Fox Sports Go.   Fox was desperate for carriage to launch FS1 and FS2 last year and they had to cave in many areas.  They then launched Fox Sports Go and said if you want it, you must pay us a ton more for FS1 and FS2....most providers have said no thanks.  The value isn't there and because nearly 90% of customers would be burdened with a price increase to use an app when less than 20% care about sports, well it's not happening anytime soon. Probably the next contract negotiation, much like you have seen ESPN app slowly added to various providers as their contracts expire and ESPN forces it on them along with Longhorn, Fusion, etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:26:20 PM »
I think the Fox Sports Go thing requires a TV provider tied to it. I don't have cable but tried checking out the app quality during the World Series last night, at which point it prompted me for login credentials (used someone else's). Picture was good, but as far as I know it won't act as a standalone thing for now.

Correct, it is an authenticated pay TV product, no different than Big Ten 2 Go, ESPN App, Turner apps, etc.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 01:39:18 PM »
I got DirecTV not just for MU hoops, as I already had cable, but for a variety of reasons.

I was a little disappointed to see that my level (Choice) doesn't include FS2, so I'll miss a couple games. I don't think I get CBS Sports Net, either, so that's another game or two, right?

Given the price I pay, that kind of sucks.

But I guess it'll give me an excuse to grab a cold one at a sports bar with like-minded Warriors. So it's not all bad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
I got DirecTV not just for MU hoops, as I already had cable, but for a variety of reasons.

I was a little disappointed to see that my level (Choice) doesn't include FS2, so I'll miss a couple games. I don't think I get CBS Sports Net, either, so that's another game or two, right?

Given the price I pay, that kind of sucks.

But I guess it'll give me an excuse to grab a cold one at a sports bar with like-minded Warriors. So it's not all bad.

Not sure what the deal is now that I'm in a different gig, but 99% sure XTRA has FS2 and CBS Sports Network, it's like $7 more per month than Choice if I recall.  You could upgrade your service the day before the game and then go back to Choice, you would only pay the prorated fee which is about $0.25 a day you keep it.  You can't do that with premium services which require 30 days to keep, but pretty sure you can on base packages.  Just an option you may wish to consider.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 02:27:37 PM »

The only game on FS2 is home vs. Nebraska-Omaha.
There are 2 games on CBS College Sports:  home vs. Creighton, and at Seton Hall.

If you attend home games, the only road game you'd miss on TV is at Seton Hall.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
Not sure what the deal is now that I'm in a different gig, but 99% sure XTRA has FS2 and CBS Sports Network, it's like $7 more per month than Choice if I recall.  You could upgrade your service the day before the game and then go back to Choice, you would only pay the prorated fee which is about $0.25 a day you keep it.  You can't do that with premium services which require 30 days to keep, but pretty sure you can on base packages.  Just an option you may wish to consider.

This is correct.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 06:03:24 PM »
I have to go to a friend's place or a bar, or listen to Homer and Mac.  Just isn't worth having cable for 12 months at >$1,200 to watch 30 games.  

Don't have cable/dish, but the best case for getting it would be MU hoops. I'd chip in $50/month during the season just for that, if that was an option.

That would be a good price point that would get me to buy in...~$250ish.  Substantially more than the $150 for MLB.TV, which offers almost every game of 162 for my team.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:06:49 PM by chapman »

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 07:33:22 PM »
I couldn't imagine my life without cable.  :D
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »
I have Dish because chicos is an emplyee of directv.  He believes he owns it but is just a rat in a cage

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
Gotta love working for a state university. They pay for my cable :D. Get FS1 and FS2, in HD no less.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 09:00:56 PM »

I spoke to Fox Sports guys today...DTV will have it by end of year.  Part of the baseball playoff transport deal.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 10:11:36 PM »
Got the sports pack just for MU!

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 02:21:21 AM »
No doubt DirecTV is expensive...I pay like $120 a month for a mid tier package (we do have three receivers in the house, 2 DVR which makes it more expensive, and I have also had it over 2 years so all the rebates and stuff have worn off), but I also split it four ways.  Once CBB season starts, I add the SportsPack which is like $13 a month, and you can literally get every single MU game, and pretty much all power conference games.  It is pretty awesome for big CBB fans...but again, not cheap.

I am also a sports nut all the way around (love MLB, college hockey,NHL, NBA, NFL Sunday Ticket), so not having Cable has never really even crossed my mind. I wouldn't know what to do without it...but that's just me. 

Just call them up, tell them you want to cancel. They will send you to there retention department and give you way cheaper deals if you say your going to charter/time warner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 05:17:31 AM »
If anyone is thinking about going to DirecTV, PM me so you can get $100 off!!!

(Because I care about you.)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
I have to go to a friend's place or a bar, or listen to Homer and Mac.  Just isn't worth having cable for 12 months at >$1,200 to watch 30 games.  

That would be a good price point that would get me to buy in...~$250ish.  Substantially more than the $150 for MLB.TV, which offers almost every game of 162 for my team.

I'm similarly situated. Until CBB is offered on a platform like MLB.tv - which will be a long time - I can't justify spending so much to watch only MU games. Looks like I'll be spending lots of time at the yacht club this winter. Hopefully they're open late enough what with all of the 9pm starts on the East Coast.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 10:35:46 AM »
the X1 set up from Xfinity is pretty amazing, and there are rumors of an upcoming Netflix integration to compete with HBO's future digital package. The integrated sports app is cool, you can get a google chrome plugin so you can watch most networks at work (including FS1). As an employee I won't tell you what I pay but if I wasn't it would be worth the price tag.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 01:36:40 AM »
I have Dish because chicos is an emplyee of directv.  He believes he owns it but is just a rat in a cage

As much as you stalk me I would think you would know your statement is no longer true and hasn't been for many months.  Secondly, you got taken to the woodshed here by so many people I lost count on the business owner argument you tried to make.  You really going to make that mistake a third time?

Maybe a lecture on how great Mbao was going to be or irregardless not being a word are in order again from you.   Angus, had an Angus burger today...thought about you.  Tasty.