Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Casual Hoya reviews MU  (Read 27521 times)

tower912

• All American
Casual Hoya reviews MU
« on: October 21, 2014, 07:30:59 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
Re: Casual Hoya reviews MU
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »
Apparently so do you

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
Wow, saying if Marquette beats someone they will hurt the opponents chances for the NCAA. DUHHHHH

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
Great writing and analysis.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:17:40 PM »
Casual attempt at MU analysis

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »
Read this and died -

gardner
has to top my list of "guys i’m glad are out of the league". don’t really hate hate the guy but he ate our lunch for years

by hoyafan03 on Oct 21, 2014 | 1:09 PM reply

CasualHoya
perhaps literally

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 08:22:05 PM »
This article says it was written by hoyasincebirth. Isn't that the Hoya fan who posts on here?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 08:56:57 PM »
Mediocre MU beat Georgetown twice last year

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »
This article says it was written by hoyasincebirth. Isn't that the Hoya fan who posts on here?

Yes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
One of the more in depth analyses I have seen. Everything he sees is true and fair. Let's hope our players play above expectations.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »
As I read this article, all I could think was: "Wow, Georgetown admits 12-year-olds?"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:16:02 PM »
Read this and died -

gardner
has to top my list of "guys i’m glad are out of the league". don’t really hate hate the guy but he ate our lunch for years

by hoyafan03 on Oct 21, 2014 | 1:09 PM reply

I'm sure many fans at other schools feel the same about Gardner being gone.  Devante will be missed a ton on this year's team.  Think Jamil, Otule, Jake and even the loss of Todd can all be offset fairly well with Steve Taylor, Luke Fisch, JJJ and Duane - yet nobody will play with the efficiency and effectiveness Gardner did.  Was a travesty to see his senior year wasted as it was by Buzz.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 12:46:42 AM »
I'm sure many fans at other schools feel the same about Gardner being gone.  Devante will be missed a ton on this year's team.  Think Jamil, Otule, Jake and even the loss of Todd can all be offset fairly well with Steve Taylor, Luke Fisch, JJJ and Duane - yet nobody will play with the efficiency and effectiveness Gardner did.  Was a travesty to see his senior year wasted as it was by Buzz.

Must agree. He could have had an nba defining season if it wasn't for buzz.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 04:12:02 AM »

Well apparantly 32 nba gms decided he wasnt nba material n chose to even bring him into camp.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 06:10:22 AM »
lol.  he's not even close to capable of playing in the NBA.  Unless Buzz was forcefeeding him I don't think he had much to do with it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 06:16:04 AM »
Devante scored points in bunches against non-athletic bigs, but he was a one-trick pony.    I thank him for his time at MU, I am glad that Buzz wrestled him away from South Florida, but he wasn't misused.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 07:21:50 AM »

I heard that Dirk Nowitski bribed Buzz to make sure Davante wouldn't make it to the NBA. 

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 08:03:23 AM »
We might be eliminated from the NCAA tourney before the new year? This dude serious? We're gonna lose 3 maybe 4 games in the non conference and then as he points out we'll be scary once Luke is eligible (vs. ASU and beyond) and our team finds its identity.

Soneone get this guy a jump to conclusions mat.
Bring back FFP!!!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 08:35:09 AM »
We might be eliminated from the NCAA tourney before the new year? This dude serious? We're gonna lose 3 maybe 4 games in the non conference and then as he points out we'll be scary once Luke is eligible (vs. ASU and beyond) and our team finds its identity.

Soneone get this guy a jump to conclusions mat.
I thought this was incorrect also, because losses without Steve Fischer will be discounted by the selection committee. However, we would need to finish in the top 4 of the Big East and win a first round game in the Big East tournament to have a chance at a bid.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »
I thought this was incorrect also, because losses without Steve Fischer will be discounted by the selection committee. However, we would need to finish in the top 4 of the Big East and win a first round game in the Big East tournament to have a chance at a bid.

I think this guy used up his eligiblity in like the 60s. Besides, he's commited to San Diego State. I don't think we can get him to decommit  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »
I thought this was a well-written piece and I do enjoy that he incorporates a bunch of commentary from message boards.  Its also kinda funny how people are jumping on this piece for describing a down year which we miss the tourney yet that seems to be what most think on here.

I personally am a little optimistic that we get some better results from our talented recruits from last year as they are used more often and think we can make the tourney.  However, I cannot discount the opinions of us missing the tourney.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »
Marquette was dogcrap all season long last campaign and were two choke jobs in the last week away from finishing 11-7 and a stand alone third place finish. Color me unimpressed with any of the squads that finished around us then and/or picked ahead of us now based on recruiting hype alone. Warriors finish fourth and sneak in with a good performance in NYC.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 09:18:17 AM »
Devante scored points in bunches against non-athletic bigs, but he was a one-trick pony.    I thank him for his time at MU, I am glad that Buzz wrestled him away from South Florida, but he wasn't misused.   

LOL - Scored against non-athletic bigs?  He scored against anybody he was matched up with one on one.  Abused Zeller and UNC as a sophomore in the tourney.  His O-Rating/Efficiency were some of the best in college basketball, and I'd surmise if you take his career O-Rating, he'd arguably rate in the Top 5% of all college basketball players.  Wish we had more "one trick ponies" like Gardner.

As for Gardner being misused - its kind of like how people said Dean Smith was the only guy who could hold Jordan under 20ppg.  Buzz should have been playing Gardner 30 minutes a night every night as a senior.  And we won't rehash how Buzz's coaching decision last season absolutely and totally hampered Gardner's ability to operate.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 09:19:45 AM »
lol.  he's not even close to capable of playing in the NBA.  Unless Buzz was forcefeeding him I don't think he had much to do with it.

Hmmm... Gardner was MVP of the Portsmouth Invitational, the same tournament Jimmy B used to springboard himself to a first round pick. He might never be an NBA player, but to say he's "not even close to capable" is a bit of an exaggeration.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 09:22:16 AM »
Hmmm... Gardner was MVP of the Portsmouth Invitational, the same tournament Jimmy B used to springboard himself to a first round pick. He might never be an NBA player, but to say he's "not even close to capable" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Which of the 32 teams extended him a contract?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."