[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Public vs. Private Wojo  (Read 6896 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
Public vs. Private Wojo
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
Just talked to someone who is around the team every day and asked about Wojo. The person said Wojo is as intens - if not moreso - than Buzz was behind closed doors.

Thought that was an interesting comment because in the public eye Wojo seems so soft spoken and thoughtful. Can't wait for the season to start ... I wonder which Wojo we'll get on the sidelines?? The "Marquette is the best of both worlds guy" or the "floor slaps" guy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Public vs. Private Wojo
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »
I could see him being more intense I mean the guy not just has the competitive nature like buzz but also was an athlete so it's been driven into him as well.

I expect a very calm sideline presence except for the occasional game where he goes nuts
Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »
He was more the " floor slaps" guy as an asst at Duke.

I would expect Wojo will conduct himself similar to Coach K.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
Listen... if I had to choose between intensity and whatever the opposite of intensity is in picking a D-I head coach, I'm picking intensity.  Even K has had his moments of crazy on the court.

Do I expect Wojo will "walk it off" at some point?  No.

Do I expect him to be screaming at his players and the refs?  I sure as hell hope so.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »
I assume every D1 coach is insanely competitive and intense, even if they are quiet about it.

You don't work those kinds of hours, spend that amount of time on the road, and work your way up the ranks being a laid back kind of guy.

You want to be laid back? Go sell insurance.

High level coaching is an intense gig. Don't ever be fooled by a coach's public "schtick", even if his schtick is to tell you that he doesn't have a schtick, ala Buzz Williams.

MUlegends

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »
Take a look at who he learned from. Coach K isn't exactly a can of peaches behind closed doors and he comes from the Bob Knight coaching tree.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
Listen... if I had to choose between intensity and whatever the opposite of intensity is in picking a D-I head coach, I'm picking intensity.  Even K has had his moments of crazy on the court.

Do I expect Wojo will "walk it off" at some point?  No.

Do I expect him to be screaming at his players and the refs?  I sure as hell hope so.

"Give 'em hell AL!" meant something folks.

You don't think Al was intense?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »
Intense is one thing, being crazy is another. There is nothing wrong with intense.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 02:02:07 PM »
I assume every D1 coach is insanely competitive and intense, even if they are quiet about it.

You don't work those kinds of hours, spend that amount of time on the road, and work your way up the ranks being a laid back kind of guy.

You want to be laid back? Go sell insurance.

High level coaching is an intense gig. Don't ever be fooled by a coach's public "schtick", even if his schtick is to tell you that he doesn't have a schtick, ala Buzz Williams.

No question, D-1 coaches are intense individuals. The question is, can you be intense on the court (practice, games, etc.), but normal away from it? Frankly, it seems that past MU coaches have struggled with the off the court part. But, it seems the profession in general has issues with that. Perhaps, Wojo can break that trend.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »
Just talked to someone who is around the team every day and asked about Wojo. The person said Wojo is as intens - if not moreso - than Buzz was behind closed doors.

Thought that was an interesting comment because in the public eye Wojo seems so soft spoken and thoughtful. Can't wait for the season to start ... I wonder which Wojo we'll get on the sidelines?? The "Marquette is the best of both worlds guy" or the "floor slaps" guy.

Good - I would be worried if your friend reported that every day was about waiting for the ice cream man to show up during practice.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 02:34:40 PM »
I could see him being more intense I mean the guy not just has the competitive nature like buzz but also was an athlete so it's been driven into him as well.

I expect a very calm sideline presence except for the occasional game where he goes nuts

+5
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »
No question, D-1 coaches are intense individuals. The question is, can you be intense on the court (practice, games, etc.), but normal away from it? Frankly, it seems that past MU coaches have struggled with the off the court part. But, it seems the profession in general has issues with that. Perhaps, Wojo can break that trend.

Agreed... and to be honest, that's not limited to coaches, or even athletes.

People who aspire to, and achieve power positions, aren't always the best people or neighbors.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 02:44:21 PM »
Of course Wojo is intense, didn't some one post that he was yelling in the locker room after Madness?

And yes, any floor-slapper had to be intense.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 02:47:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with some intensity.

"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
Nothing wrong with some intensity.

looks like a Warrior to me

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 05:43:49 PM »
looks like a Warrior to me

Funny, looks more like a worthless piece of sh*t to me.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 06:43:31 PM »

This is where I get in trouble here and people get upset, but I don't know any other way to answer this then through personal experiences....so blast away.

I've worked with or for many coaches, and all of them are intense as hell.  Personally, the only one that was "normal" outside of work and even at work that participated in a high profile sport is Mike Scioscia (named AL manager of the year today).  Certainly there are many others that are not in high profile jobs that pulled it off because the stressors are different.  Markus Roeders can be really intense, but he's a sweetheart off the pitch...as an example. 

For college basketball coaches, whether it was K.O., Mike Deane, Mike Rice, Matt Doherty, Tom Crean, Roy Williams, Bob Knight, Joe Maddon, Craig Hartsburg, Terry Collins, Guy Charron, etc....all of them were intense on and off in my interactions with them.  Don't take intense to mean prickly, some were and some weren't, but all of them were intense.  I'm sure there will be some folks here that will question what that means for say a M. Deane.  An inability to separate themselves from the reality in which they lived would be my definition.  Consumed by it.  When I see Roy Williams on tv I crack up, that "oh shucks diggity dog" routine is not how he is.  I've stated this before, but in my view when your life is dependent upon 17 to 22 year old young men and their actions on and off the court, it makes you self controlling and crazy.  Assistant coaches, different story as often they play the role of being the buddy to the kid that just got verbally accosted by the head coach, so they have to maintain a different attitude and perspective.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 06:49:06 PM »
This is where I get in trouble here and people get upset, but I don't know any other way to answer this then through personal experiences....so blast away.

I've worked with or for many coaches, and all of them are intense as hell.  Personally, the only one that was "normal" outside of work and even at work that participated in a high profile sport is Mike Scioscia (named AL manager of the year today).  Certainly there are many others that are not in high profile jobs that pulled it off because the stressors are different.  Markus Roeders can be really intense, but he's a sweetheart off the pitch...as an example. 

For college basketball coaches, whether it was K.O., Mike Deane, Mike Rice, Matt Doherty, Tom Crean, Roy Williams, Bob Knight, Joe Maddon, Craig Hartsburg, Terry Collins, Guy Charron, etc....all of them were intense on and off in my interactions with them.  Don't take intense to mean prickly, some were and some weren't, but all of them were intense.  I'm sure there will be some folks here that will question what that means for say a M. Deane.  An inability to separate themselves from the reality in which they lived would be my definition.  Consumed by it.  When I see Roy Williams on tv I crack up, that "oh shucks diggity dog" routine is not how he is.  I've stated this before, but in my view when your life is dependent upon 17 to 22 year old young men and their actions on and off the court, it makes you self controlling and crazy.  Assistant coaches, different story as often they play the role of being the buddy to the kid that just got verbally accosted by the head coach, so they have to maintain a different attitude and perspective.

Well said. Head coach/assistant coach is basically good cop/bad cop. Hard to know for sure how Wojo will act now that's he's in charge. I suspect he'll pick up a T or two, but he won't be doing any silly dances at center court.

Had a few interactions with KO back in the day. Man, he was the living definition of prickly.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »

Had a few interactions with KO back in the day. Man, he was the living definition of prickly.

Without any doubt.  TC was the same way.  MD could be that way, but if you were in his circle he was a good dude...a lot of fun, but if you weren't in that circle he could come across as prickly.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 07:09:18 PM »
Without any doubt.  TC was the same way.  MD could be that way, but if you were in his circle he was a good dude...a lot of fun, but if you weren't in that circle he could come across as prickly.

Had to shoot some commercials with KO. He was a terror. Impatient, condescending, and vulgar. Tough for a young guy fresh out of school directing his first ad shoot.

Is/was TC the same way? Never met him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »
Had to shoot some commercials with KO. He was a terror. Impatient, condescending, and vulgar. Tough for a young guy fresh out of school directing his first ad shoot.

Is/was TC the same way? Never met him.

No, TC would actually do anything you asked him to do for the program....commercials, appearances, call season ticket holders on the phone, etc.  Never an issue on that stuff.   He's just stubborn and it's his way or the highway.  I don't care what business you are in, that gets old very soon especially if there are many ways to skin the cat that don't conform to his way.  To be fair, never an issue for me personally as I left on my own terms.  Others, were around for quite some time.  Coach Knight, definitely a his way or the highway guy which should shock nobody on planet earth.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 07:51:48 PM »

I appreciate this insight.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 08:15:32 PM »
No, TC would actually do anything you asked him to do for the program....commercials, appearances, call season ticket holders on the phone, etc.  Never an issue on that stuff.   He's just stubborn and it's his way or the highway.  I don't care what business you are in, that gets old very soon especially if there are many ways to skin the cat that don't conform to his way.  To be fair, never an issue for me personally as I left on my own terms.  Others, were around for quite some time.  Coach Knight, definitely a his way or the highway guy which should shock nobody on planet earth.

Well Done Sir!!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback