collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Humphrey becoming a dorm  (Read 9460 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Humphrey becoming a dorm
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »
Marquette has said that starting fall of 2015 Humphrey will become a dorm and McCabe will become university housing. If im right, Humphrey holds more people. Could this be the beginning of the end for McCormick? Cant see any other reasoning behind the switch besides for that reason.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:47:37 PM by ChitownEllenson »

Coleman

• All American
Re: Humphrey becoming a dorm
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »
Marquette has said that starting fall of 2015 Humphrey will become a dorm and McCabe will become university housing. If im right, Humphrey holds more people. Could this be the beginning of the end for McCormick? Cant see any other reasoning behind the switch besides for that reason.

It could be as simple as they are expecting a bigger than previously anticipated freshman class. I wouldn't read too much into it. My freshman year, they had to stick 25 people in the Hilton to accomodate the bigger class.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 03:01:54 PM »
It could be as simple as they are expecting a bigger than previously anticipated freshman class. I wouldn't read too much into it. My freshman year, they had to stick 25 people in the Hilton to accomodate the bigger class.

Same happened my Freshman year. They made quads out of the lounges in McCormick until enough people dropped out. Thats why I think its something bigger going on. MU hasnt been afraid to make temporary adjustments in the past.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 03:12:09 PM »

Here is the official statement.  Sounds to me like they simply are trying to meet current demand.

As the University’s enrollment continues to grow, we have a need to develop a plan to accommodate additional first and second year students. Humphrey Hall will be transitioned to a Residence Hall for the 2015-2016 academic year. This will alleviate our need to house first-year and transfer students in lounges.

In an effort to accommodate our rising junior, senior, and graduate student population, McCabe Hall will be transitioned to an apartment building next summer. In preparation for this change, the University Apartments staff is committed to supporting current tenants, as well as new applicants. While we may not be able to accommodate all new applicants for the University Apartments, we will continue to support students as they search for housing in the near Marquette neighborhood.

Marquette provides a variety of services for students living off-campus. University Apartments and Off-campus Student Services partners with the Department of Public Safety, Marquette University Student Government, and the Avenue’s West Association to strengthen neighborhood relations, promote educational and safety initiatives, and provide opportunities for students, community partners, and property owners/managers to discuss neighborhood challenges. Specifically, the office provides:
•A comprehensive website of not only property listings, but also good information that is useful to students before, during, and after their tenancy. It is important to note that any property listed on this website must fall within the Public Safety patrol area – Marquette does not list properties outside of the DPS boundaries; and, it does not endorse any properties but those owned by Marquette.
•Mediation services to students who find themselves in conflict with their roommates or with their landlord.
•Maintains relationships and communication with the area landlords as a means to more effectively advocating for students when things go wrong. It is important to note two things here: 1) students have rights as renters, but also responsibilities to uphold; 2) Marquette cannot coerce a landlord into doing anything they do not wish to do, or are not required by law to do. Marquette opens lines of communication and attempts to facilitate solutions that are amenable to everyone. Also, the University Apartments and Off-campus Student Services can refer students to appropriate city agencies if a landlord is not being responsive.

There is plenty of privately-owned housing in the off-campus neighborhood to accommodate students. While the process is by no means simple or stress-free, Marquette tries to provide guidance to students so that they can learn these important skills, be smart consumers, and grow in the process. Parents are important partners in this process, which is why we provide sessions during Family Weekend in October to educate both parents and students about the leasing timeline and process. If anyone has questions, please contact the University Apartments and Off-campus Student Services office directly at 414-288-7281.

What's the capacity difference between McCabe and Humphrey, anyway?  You are not exactly talking McCormick numbers.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 03:13:58 PM »
Im just wondering about the kids who signed leases for Humphrey already next year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
Crapped out tryin' to become President. Might as well go for becomin' a dorm, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »
Im just wondering about the kids who signed leases for Humphrey already next year.

They get first crack at Campustown before any other students in the apartment lottery.

Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:44:17 PM »
What's the capacity difference between McCabe and Humphrey, anyway?  You are not exactly talking McCormick numbers.

It's a big building.

http://www.marquette.edu/orl/apartments/documents/HumphreyFloorplan.pdf

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
What?

Walgreens is a dorm?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 04:04:21 PM »
It's a big building.

http://www.marquette.edu/orl/apartments/documents/HumphreyFloorplan.pdf

Yeah, I have seen it.

What's the capacity difference between it and McCabe?  It's not even close to absorbing McCormick.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 04:13:21 PM »
All they're doing is increasing their Frosh/Soph. dorm housing by flipping Humphrey with McCabe.  Things for underclassmen had gotten pretty tight (although the class that just started 60 days ago was a more modest at approximate 1925 students).  But the year before ORL were busting up all the lounges in McCormick just to get enough bed capacity.  Perhaps they see a bigger class next Fall as well.

Still, I can envision (but know nothing) that MU will continue to acquire residential property as it becomes available.  Right now there's gnashing of teeth by the current Sophomores (actually their parents) who will see a decrease short term in University provided Junior/Senior housing and have somewhat missed the chance for a 'prime' apartment off campus next year.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »
Based on that floorplan, Humphrey's current capacity is about 325.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »

And that's if they keep things as is. I wonder if they'll try to split some of them up.

McCabe holds a little over 200, if I remember correctly.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 05:52:37 PM »

I have no doubt marquette will nearly double that. Wouldn't surprise me if that number is close to 600 when it's all said and done.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
McCabe holds a little over 200, if I remember correctly.
You are correct, this says 225 for McCabe.
http://www.marquette.edu/orl/res/reshalls/documents/McCabeLEEDVirtualTour_Final.pdf
I haven't spent much time on campus lately and didn't realize MU renovated this building.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 11:53:08 AM »
Where will the hoops team reside?  How can we ever sign top players?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »
Where will the hoops team reside?  How can we ever sign top players?

Seriously though, where will they live?  Still split between Humphrey and Tower?

If MU could ever buy the Catholic Financial building, that location would be convenient for players across the street from the Al.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »
Seriously though, where will they live?  Still split between Humphrey and Tower?

If MU could ever buy the Catholic Financial building, that location would be convenient for players across the street from the Al.

Probably put the upperclassmen in McCabe and the frosh in Straz. McCabe is really, really nice. Much nicer than Humphrey.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »
Hope there'll be some changes to the Academic Support Facility then. I remember a few TAs being housed in there but a lot of wasted space. Might be time for new build there

I feel like that area of campus, right around the support facility and back end of the parking lot is one of the more dangerous spots on campus.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 03:14:37 PM »

Helmi's Hilton!

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 03:16:53 PM »
I have no doubt marquette will nearly double that. Wouldn't surprise me if that number is close to 600 when it's all said and done.

They will have to, those would be pretty monster units for dorms. Have no idea how they will actually do that.

Wrong summer to apply to summer crew.

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »

I have heard that at least one basketball player resides in the new Ivy on 14th St. apartments.  Ivy on 14th is located on Wells Street across from the AMU.  Ivy on 14th was built by Opus and could very well end up a MU property at some time in the future.

I have also heard that the men's BB team, women's BB team and the volleyball team have inquired about additional housing as well.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
I have heard that at least one basketball player resides in the new Ivy on 14th St. apartments.  Ivy on 14th is located on Wells Street across from the AMU.  Ivy on 14th was built by Opus and could very well end up a MU property at some time in the future.

I have also heard that the men's BB team, women's BB team and the volleyball team have inquired about additional housing as well.

I'm wondering what the other corner is besides Wells that Ivy on 14th is on?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »
Crapped out tryin' to become President. Might as well go for becomin' a dorm, aina?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
Probably put the upperclassmen in McCabe and the frosh in Straz. McCabe is really, really nice. Much nicer than Humphrey.

I think they will all be in the same building in the future.