[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Most Famous Movie Set In Every State - WI: "Dawn of the Dead" (2004)  (Read 21073 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: The Most Famous Movie Set In Every State - WI: "Dawn of the Dead" (2004)
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »
Basketball and Christmas are not a dichotomy... enjoying one doesn't preclude you from enjoying the other.  Preferring basketball over Christmas (or vice versa) would be like saying you prefer orange juice to Star Wars.  If you took a survey nationwide and simply asked both questions, "do you like basketball" and "do you like Christmas movies," those answering affirmatively to the former would outnumber the latter.

Also, I'll concede that DotD is "cult zombie gore," but in fairness, isn't Bridesmaids more of a "chick flick" than a mainstream comedy?  But my issue with Bridesmaids isn't that it is or isn't mainstream, it's that it attracts a certain audience based strictly on gender lines.  Sure, a cult film may not appeal to everyone in the masses, but it doesn't draw a line amongst the masses according to race, creed, gender, nationality, etc.  Bridesmaids does.

Case in point: Brokeback Mountain was widely acclaimed.  A-List cast.  Tremendous success at the box office.  Won three Oscars.  But if you were having an outdoor movie night for your neighborhood in the suburbs, do you think it would it be a good selection?

Are you seriously comparing "Bridesmaids" to "Brokeback Mountain"?

And I wouldn't show "Bridesmaids" at a neighborhood outdoor movie night because it is not appropriate for kids.  Would you show "Hangover"?

No open-minded person dismisses "Bridesmaids"  as merely a chick flick.  And I'd ask that you refrain from passing further judgment on its merits until you have actually seen it.  
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 02:18:57 PM »
I'll admit it, I had to google Bridesmaids. It does kind look chick-flickish IMO just from the IMDb description

Annie (Kristen Wiig), is a maid of honor whose life unravels as she leads her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), and a group of colorful bridesmaids (Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey and Ellie Kemper) on a wild ride down the road to matrimony. Annie's life is a mess. But when she finds out her lifetime best friend is engaged, she simply must serve as Lillian's maid of honor. Though lovelorn and broke, Annie bluffs her way through the expensive and bizarre rituals. With one chance to get it perfect, she'll show Lillian and her bridesmaids just how far you'll go for someone you love

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »
I have a real problem with A Christmas Story beating out Hoosiers.

1. You can't watch Hoosiers without knowing it was set in Indiana.  In CS, every reference to "Indiana" from which one could discern the film's setting is (I think there are two) very subtle... miss it and you could easily mistake it for being set in an Illinois-side suburb of Chicago.
2. Just about the entire movie [Hoosiers] was filmed in Indiana.  In fact, two of the most memorable scenes in Hoosiers (measuring of the FT line/rim & championship game) were not just filmed in Indiana, but in the exact place where the title game at the center of the plot is played today.  CS was shot on location almost entirely in Cleveland.
3. Bobby Plump's character in the film (Jimmy Chitwood) was played by a Chatard alum.  In fact, they moved a BRHS/Chatard HS game to Hinkle for the movie just so they would have enough extras for filming the final game.

I could go on, but these are the top 3.

Does anyone disagree?

EDIT: Sorry, I need to go on...

4) Hoosiers nominated for two Academy Awards.  Christmas Story, none.
5) Lifetime gross: Hoosiers, $28M; Christmas Story, $21M.
6) Rotten Tomatoes: Hoosiers, 88%; Christmas Story, 88%
7) IMDb Metascore: Hoosiers, 76; Christmas Story, 77

And here I always thought A Christmas Story took place in (and was filmed in) Cleveland, OH.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »

Also, I'll concede that DotD is "cult zombie gore," but in fairness, isn't Bridesmaids more of a "chick flick" than a mainstream comedy?  But my issue with Bridesmaids isn't that it is or isn't mainstream, it's that it attracts a certain audience based strictly on gender lines.  Sure, a cult film may not appeal to everyone in the masses, but it doesn't draw a line amongst the masses according to race, creed, gender, nationality, etc.  Bridesmaids does.

I thought Bridesmaids was the movie that ended up breaking the stereotype that women couldn't lead in a mainstream comedy movie....

Personally thought it was funny (at least as funny as any other goofy or slapstick comedy) and didn't realize I was making some sort of political statement.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »
I'll admit it, I had to google Bridesmaids. It does kind look chick-flickish IMO just from the IMDb description

Honestly, the only people that think it is a chick flick are people who haven't seen it and assume because it's got an almost all female leads it HAS to be a chick flick.....no way all women could be just be a solid funny movie, am I right guys?

For me, the scene when they are trying on bridesmaid dresses is hands down funnier than almost anything in a Hangover movies (and I loved the first 1 and a half Hangovers)

This is one of those moments in life as my father use to say "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2014, 03:31:01 PM »
As someone who loves both Dawn of the Dead and Bridesmaids, I feel it's my responsibility to weigh in. You're welcome in advance.

Bridesmaids---way bigger than Dawn of the Dead, but not sure that I would consider it a "Wisconsin" movie. About half of it takes place in Illinois.

The fake town for Dawn of the Dead surprises me. Could have sworn it was set in Milwaukee. In fact it was instrumental for developing my own Milwaukee zombie attack escape plan. Apparently that was flawed on my part. Thank God I never had to test it.

Dogma's a decent choice, but again, a lot of it takes place outside Wisconsin.

You're missing some other contenders, like Michael Clayton and the cinema classic, Mr. 3000 (RIP Bernie Mac).

However, my vote goes to Baseketball. Go Beers.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2014, 03:39:42 PM »
So is "Debbie does Dallas" it for TX

And who could argue "clueless" for Cali
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »
As someone who loves both Dawn of the Dead and Bridesmaids, I feel it's my responsibility to weigh in. You're welcome in advance.

However, my vote goes to Baseketball. Go Beers.

Baseketball was filmed entirely in California.  Shame on you, Zucker Brothers.  And it grossed a whopping $7 million.

Go read the criteria again.
Have some patience, FFS.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2014, 04:09:17 PM »

Baseketball was filmed entirely in California.  Shame on you, Zucker Brothers.  And it grossed a whopping $7 million.

Go read the criteria again.

My Marquette education taught me that arbitrary criteria are no match for what lies in my heart.

On the other hand, Baseketball taught me that first I get a job, then I get khakis, then I get chicks. Those two pretty much have me covered.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »
I have a real problem with A Christmas Story beating out Hoosiers.

1. You can't watch Hoosiers without knowing it was set in Indiana.  In CS, every reference to "Indiana" from which one could discern the film's setting is (I think there are two) very subtle... miss it and you could easily mistake it for being set in an Illinois-side suburb of Chicago.
2. Just about the entire movie [Hoosiers] was filmed in Indiana.  In fact, two of the most memorable scenes in Hoosiers (measuring of the FT line/rim & championship game) were not just filmed in Indiana, but in the exact place where the title game at the center of the plot is played today.  CS was shot on location almost entirely in Cleveland.
3. Bobby Plump's character in the film (Jimmy Chitwood) was played by a Chatard alum.  In fact, they moved a BRHS/Chatard HS game to Hinkle for the movie just so they would have enough extras for filming the final game.

I could go on, but these are the top 3.

Does anyone disagree?

EDIT: Sorry, I need to go on...

4) Hoosiers nominated for two Academy Awards.  Christmas Story, none.
5) Lifetime gross: Hoosiers, $28M; Christmas Story, $21M.
6) Rotten Tomatoes: Hoosiers, 88%; Christmas Story, 88%
7) IMDb Metascore: Hoosiers, 76; Christmas Story, 77

Agree that Hoosiers is way better than A Christmas Story...but Breaking Away is much better than both.  And while Hoosiers was nominated for 2 AAs and Christmas Story none...Breaking Away won the Oscar for Best Screenplay, and was nominated for 4 others.  Also won a Golden Globe for best comedy.  Filmed and set in Bloomington.

Edit:  And Breaking Away has a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:27:30 PM by GooooMarquette »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
Are you seriously comparing "Bridesmaids" to "Brokeback Mountain"?

And I wouldn't show "Bridesmaids" at a neighborhood outdoor movie night because it is not appropriate for kids.  Would you show "Hangover"?

No open-minded person dismisses "Bridesmaids"  as merely a chick flick.  And I'd ask that you refrain from passing further judgment on its merits until you have actually seen it.  

Yes.

I don't know, because I am refraining from judgement of movies I have not seen; however, I think it's safe to say that just because a  movie kills in the under 40 demo, it doesn't mean it has mass appeal.

I wasn't dismissing Bridesmaids as a chick flick... I am dismissing it because it is targeted toward a specific audience and therefore lacks mass appeal.  This isn't me being judgmental, it's strictly an observation about how the studio positioned the film.  You find me a marketing professional who can take an unbiased look at the publicity for the film and tell me that it wasn't being targeted primarily to a female audience, and I'll withdraw my argument.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2014, 04:30:21 PM »
Yes.

I don't know, because I am refraining from judgement of movies I have not seen; however, I think it's safe to say that just because a  movie kills in the under 40 demo, it doesn't mean it has mass appeal.

I wasn't dismissing Bridesmaids as a chick flick... I am dismissing it because it is targeted toward a specific audience and therefore lacks mass appeal.  This isn't me being judgmental, it's strictly an observation about how the studio positioned the film.  You find me a marketing professional who can take an unbiased look at the publicity for the film and tell me that it wasn't being targeted primarily to a female audience, and I'll withdraw my argument.

Show me a marketing plan that goes for "mass appeal", and I'll show you something that failed.

Everything has a target.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
Yes.

Show me evidence it was targeted at women?  I remember it as pretty agnostic in that regard.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2014, 05:10:51 PM »
Bad analogy. The screenwriter grew up caddying at a snobbish, very exclusive country club in the toniest of Chicago's north shore suburbs. He has said he based the movie and the people in it on that experience. Nebraska is about as far from that kind of experience and those type of people as it gets. It would be like setting  "Taxi Driver" in Kansas.

There is no contention that Indian Hill was a major inspiration for the film. Again, the article is about setting of a film and not where it was shot or about the inspiration for the film. You are using terrible logic and ignoring that it may actually be set in a state against your wishes. Basically you are stating Caddyshack can't possibly take place in Nebraska because it's Nebraska. What? Why do you care?  

Do you feel like snobby people can't possibly live in the state of Nebraska? A false perception that Nebraska does not have wealthy residents? Country Clubs are non existent within the state?

In regard to Taxi Driver, it is pretty clear where that is set....sooo ok?. However, The character of Travis Bickle is partially based on Arthur Bremer (or Oliver Stone if you asked him). So, using your logic, Taxi Driver is now set in Milwaukee...except, it isn't.

If we get into characters that exhibit similar personality traits or characteristics as Travis Bickle, according to you, they can only live in New York City. Except, they can literally live anywhere.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:15:02 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »
There is no contention that Indian Hill was a major inspiration for the film. Again, the article is about setting of a film and not where it was shot or about the inspiration for the film. You are using terrible logic and ignoring that it may actually be set in a state against your wishes. Basically you are stating Caddyshack can't possibly take place in Nebraska because it's Nebraska. What? Why do you care?  

Do you feel like snobby people can't possibly live in the state of Nebraska? A false perception that Nebraska does not have wealthy residents? Country Clubs are non existent within the state?

In regard to Taxi Driver, it is pretty clear where that is set....sooo ok?. However, The character of Travis Bickle is partially based on Arthur Bremer (or Oliver Stone if you asked him). So, using your logic, Taxi Driver is now set in Milwaukee...except, it isn't.

If we get into characters that exhibit similar personality traits or characteristics as Travis Bickle, according to you, they can only live in New York City. Except, they can literally live anywhere.

He was lampooning the people he knew in his youth. Those people were from a country club in Winnetka, Il., which is about as much like Nebraska as New York city is like Boise. Is it possible that Doyle-Murray would set a story from his youth in Nebraska? Sure, but there's no evidence in the film that I've seen. You?

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »
He was lampooning the people he knew in his youth. Those people were from a country club in Winnetka, Il., which is about as much like Nebraska as New York city is like Boise. Is it possible that Doyle-Murray would set a story from his youth in Nebraska? Sure, but there's no evidence in the film that I've seen. You?

I've never thought about it, it doesn't matter what I think, you are basing your argument on your feelings. A brief search seems to provide additional sources that the film is indeed set in the state of Nebraska.

According to IMDB, "While the movie was filmed in Ft Lauderdale, FL the country club was supposed to be located in Nebraska. In preparation for filming certain scenes they spent many days spraypainting the grass blue around the clubhouse."

Further research turned up:
"The first allusion to this setting comes when Danny consults Ty Webb on going to college. Webb asks: "Do you want to go to college?" "In Nebraska?", Danny replies incredulously. (I will admit as a native Nebraskan that my home state does have something of a "brain drain" of students going out of state for higher education, but the honest truth is that Nebraska does have one of the highest percentages of high school graduates attending college of any state in the union, and is consistently among the top ten states in the nation for standardized test scores. Just thought I'd throw that in.) Danny is apparently bucking for a placement at the fictional "St. Copious of Northern Nebraska". Must be close to Carhenge - but that's another quiz. The Nebraska connection comes up later when Al Czervik ends one of his exchanges with Tony: "When are you due back in Boys Town?" Boys Town is an incorporated village in suburban Omaha, Nebraska dedicated to at risk youth. Founded in 1921 by Catholic clergyman Edward J. Flanagan, the community, now known as Girls and Boys Town, was the basis of a 1938 movie starring Mickey Rooney and Spencer Tracy, with Tracy winning an Oscar for his role as Father Flanagan. Rodney Dangerfield, unfortunately, was denied this honor for "Caddyshack"."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »
I've never thought about it, it doesn't matter what I think, you are basing your argument on your feelings. A brief search seems to provide additional sources that the film is indeed set in the state of Nebraska.

According to IMDB, "While the movie was filmed in Ft Lauderdale, FL the country club was supposed to be located in Nebraska. In preparation for filming certain scenes they spent many days spraypainting the grass blue around the clubhouse."

Further research turned up:
"The first allusion to this setting comes when Danny consults Ty Webb on going to college. Webb asks: "Do you want to go to college?" "In Nebraska?", Danny replies incredulously. (I will admit as a native Nebraskan that my home state does have something of a "brain drain" of students going out of state for higher education, but the honest truth is that Nebraska does have one of the highest percentages of high school graduates attending college of any state in the union, and is consistently among the top ten states in the nation for standardized test scores. Just thought I'd throw that in.) Danny is apparently bucking for a placement at the fictional "St. Copious of Northern Nebraska". Must be close to Carhenge - but that's another quiz. The Nebraska connection comes up later when Al Czervik ends one of his exchanges with Tony: "When are you due back in Boys Town?" Boys Town is an incorporated village in suburban Omaha, Nebraska dedicated to at risk youth. Founded in 1921 by Catholic clergyman Edward J. Flanagan, the community, now known as Girls and Boys Town, was the basis of a 1938 movie starring Mickey Rooney and Spencer Tracy, with Tracy winning an Oscar for his role as Father Flanagan. Rodney Dangerfield, unfortunately, was denied this honor for "Caddyshack"."

Okay, you win. Nebraska has people every bit as pompous, self important and snobbish as anything Doyle-Murray could have encountered in Winnetka.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2014, 07:49:13 PM »
Okay, you win. Nebraska has people every bit as pompous, self important and snobbish as anything Doyle-Murray could have encountered in Winnetka.

It's a movie, man, relax.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2014, 07:54:16 PM »
It's a movie, man, relax.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Peace.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2014, 08:16:51 PM »
Show me evidence it was targeted at women?  I remember it as pretty agnostic in that regard.

A) the studio dubbed it as "the female Hangover."

B) The most prominent of the studio-selected endorsements that appear on the theatre poster are from Cosmopolitan, More and Red Magazine.

C) The movie debuted to an audience that was 67% female.

D) Most media outlets and critics refer to it as some analogue of a "female-targeted film"
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2014, 08:45:14 PM »
Man Wisconsin really has little draw as a setting for a film if Dawn of the Dead is the selection, with Bridesmaids being a mention.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »
A) the studio dubbed it as "the female Hangover."

B) The most prominent of the studio-selected endorsements that appear on the theatre poster are from Cosmopolitan, More and Red Magazine.

C) The movie debuted to an audience that was 67% female.

D) Most media outlets and critics refer to it as some analogue of a "female-targeted film"

Wow, you appear to have done an awful lot of research given you have never actually watched this movie.  Are you that desperate to prove that you are right?
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »
Wow, you appear to have done an awful lot of research given you have never actually watched this movie.  Are you that desperate to prove that you are right?

He's out surveying the Jews and Chinese of Skokie right now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2014, 09:07:47 PM »

Behind The Green Door, aina?

Marilyn Chambers fan?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »

He's out surveying the Jews and Chinese of Skokie right now.

This is probably the funniest thing I've read tonight...well played.