[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wally can get up  (Read 13180 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Wally can get up
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
Please give me examples of someone that does not see the floor then transfers to a BETTER program and becomes a starter?

I'm not dissin Wally, I'm saying you expect too much ... Yes I think he can work into the rotation, but start?  Try this, he will never be ahead of Sandy Cohen.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 10:23:50 AM »
Please give me examples of someone that does not see the floor then transfers to a BETTER program and becomes a starter?

I'm not dissin Wally, I'm saying you expect too much ... Yes I think he can work into the rotation, but start?  Try this, he will never be ahead of Sandy Cohen.

I dont think he will start but he can be a 15 mpg player. I personally havent seen what the hype is about Sandy. Granted, he is a freshman but not many flashed. Also, Sandy and Wally play different positions. Wally will be more of a 3/4 and Sandy can play point guard.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 10:27:50 AM »

Well I don't think he will be a starter, but he did have some injuries early on that got him off to a slow start. Then there was a coaching change. Those things tend to bury someone on a bench if you aren't that coaches type of guy.

I think what most people are trying to say is that he is more than just a warm body. I like the energy he brings so far. We won't know just how much he brings to the table until next year, but I imagine he could see 10-15 minutes and becomes more focused with his brother on the way.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »

I'm not dissin Wally, I'm saying you expect too much ... Yes I think he can work into the rotation, but start?  Try this, he will never be ahead of Sandy Cohen.

Luke Fischer?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »
Well I don't think he will be a starter, but he did have some injuries early on that got him off to a slow start. Then there was a coaching change. Those things tend to bury someone on a bench if you aren't that coaches type of guy.

I think what most people are trying to say is that he is more than just a warm body. I like the energy he brings so far. We won't know just how much he brings to the table until next year, but I imagine he could see 10-15 minutes and becomes more focused with his brother on the way.

Bingo.  You can't coach athleticism, and athleticism can help make plays on the basketball court.  10-15 minutes for the caliber of athlete Wally is, is a reasonable expectation.  Issue for a guy like Wally is that due to the incredible athleticism, and especially while growing up in a place like Rice Lake, WI - he never needed to fully develop a great perimeter shot - as he could likely get to the rack at will.  He comes from a good lineage, and with some work should be able to develop a solid jump shot.  He's a perfect candidate to be an 8th-9th man on a roster...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
and with some work should be able to develop a solid jump shot.

like Derrick Wilson this year?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 12:57:34 PM »

First, Minnesota was way better than us last season. And will probably be better than us this season.

2nd, as someone else said, Luke Fischer.

3rd, I just said competing for starters' minutes. Meaning he's in the conversation, not necessarily actually starting. It's also assuming that Wally does improve his fundamentals.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
This entire thread in reminiscence of the thread several years ago praising Erik Williams for having an "NBA body" and it was a given he would star for MU and we wondered if he would leave early for the NBA draft.

We ridocously overvalue our players.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
This entire thread in reminiscence of the thread several years ago praising Erik Williams for having an "NBA body" and it was a given he would star for MU and we wondered if he would leave early for the NBA draft.

Every fan-base does. This is not unique.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »

I'm not saying he's going to get starters minutes by any respect.  But I think the reason he couldn't get off the bench at MN was at least partially due to injury and a coaching change.  There is no reason why he can't be a decent contributor next year or the year after. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 02:05:31 PM »

?

Who has said it is a given that Wally will start? The statement was IF he can improve his fundamentals, he COULD COMPETE for starter's minutes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »

Are we down with the depaul or is he going to have some kind of miraculous conversion?

Maybe down with the depaul this season but hopefully up with the georgetown in 2015-16!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StCroix64

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »
The biggest knock on Wally...going all the way back to HIGH SCHOOL is his defense.  It was his downfall in Minnesota with both coaches.  You can be athletic as hell, if you can't move laterally quick enough to guard someone, you're going to struggle getting minutes anywhere.

That being said, defense IS coachable...there are lots of guys who are no fleet of foot playing D1 basketball who can get coached up to play position defense.

Wally is too athletic to NOT get minutes, but those minutes WILL be limited if he can't play D.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »
I'm not a kinesiology guy, but I find it difficult to believe that a guy could have the hops that Wally does, yet lack lateral movement.  Does anyone know if this can be the case?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

StCroix64

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 07:17:43 PM »
I'm not a kinesiology guy, but I find it difficult to believe that a guy could have the hops that Wally does, yet lack lateral movement.  Does anyone know if this can be the case?

Take it for what its worth.  I can attest from watching him play dozens of times and talking to people within the program at Minnesota.  Defense is his biggest weakness.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »
Wally's never been given an opportunity to show what he can do in college ball.  Freshman year he broke his hand in late October and never worked his way into the rotation after missing 8 weeks.  Sophomore year, Pitino made it clear that he wanted Wally to commit only to basketball, and punished him when he refused to give up track.  Hopefully, Wojo will give him a chance so folks have some basis to comment on his strengths/deficiencies.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 01:01:41 PM »

reaction time, anticipation, vision etc also play into that, its not just jumping at a non moving object.  The kinesiology is different too (quick reactionary motion vs pure explosive power) but that is more than I care to go into