[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thanks To Bill Cords  (Read 14492 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Thanks To Bill Cords
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »
Today was last day for Bill Cords. Really appreciate what Bill Cords did for the program the last year. Hopefully he can go back to enjoying retirement.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Thanks To Bill Cords
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 07:47:39 PM »
Today was last day for Bill Cords. Really appreciate what Bill Cords did for the program the last year. Hopefully he can go back to enjoying retirement.

Amen.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 08:00:17 PM »

And thanks for the previous 20 years as well.
I know there are some smallmouth up nort' in Lake Shishebogama with Bill's name on them. (which I guess would make them Billy's Bass?)
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
He was a good man to work for.  Served MU well.  Hope he and Gwen enjoy their retirement.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
He was a good man to work for.  Served MU well.  Hope he and Gwen enjoy their retirement.
Jesus, Chicos.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:49:57 PM »
2nd retirement...    ;)

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »

He definitely did many good things for Marquette.

Thank you Mr. Cords for all your years of service.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »
Jesus, Chicos.

Sorry if a personal experience offends.  He did good things at MU and he was a good man to work for.  I don't take anything back.  If it offends, ignore. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »
Cords and Wild did far more than MU should have had to ask of them.  Hope MU can do some things to make sure everyone remembers that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »
Sorry if a personal experience offends.  He did good things at MU and he was a good man to work for.  I don't take anything back.  If it offends, ignore. 

+1  Let the man pay his respects Windy.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »

Yeah, that poster is way off base here.  Cords is just a decent man and don't think he has too many detractors about his work.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »
Yeah, that poster is way off base here.  Cords is just a decent man and don't think he has too many detractors about his work.
Nope, I stand by my comment and it has nothing to do with Bill Cords. Nothing.

coffee cup

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 06:47:25 AM »
It seems to me if the sole purpose of a post is to express gratitude and focus on Bill Cords than stating something like, "Bill's work was tremendous! Thanks." would suffice.

Further, it seems to me if it is important for some reason for others on the board to know that you worked for Bill and know him (and no, I don’t know why this would be important to a grown man) than your post might not solely be about Bill and thanking him but also gratuitously include the not subtle reminder to the board that you worked for him and EVEN KNOW HIS WIFE’S NAME!

Weird.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 06:58:29 AM »
Nope, I stand by my comment and it has nothing to do with Bill Cords. Nothing.

Some of you guys make me laugh and shake my head at the same time.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 07:39:14 AM »
Thanks Bill.  (I've only met and talked with him a couple of times.  But I did know the last two Athletic Directors if that matters to you guys.)

Quick story about how gracious a man Bill is.  Last May I was able to arrange a private tour of the Al for chick's parents during graduation weekend.  I'm sure many of you have toured the facility but they hadn't been on campus for any reason since we got married decades ago so it was a nice homecoming for them to watch their oldest grandaughter graduate.  So we're wrapping things up by the Al statue after a very nice personal tour and out comes Bill from the office.  He stops, asks about our weekend plans, etc. and proceeds to regale my father in law with Al stories from the 70s for 15 minutes.  More fine Marquette hospitality. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »
It seems to me if the sole purpose of a post is to express gratitude and focus on Bill Cords than stating something like, "Bill's work was tremendous! Thanks." would suffice.

Further, it seems to me if it is important for some reason for others on the board to know that you worked for Bill and know him (and no, I don’t know why this would be important to a grown man) than your post might not solely be about Bill and thanking him but also gratuitously include the not subtle reminder to the board that you worked for him and EVEN KNOW HIS WIFE’S NAME!

Weird.
A guy pays Cords a compliment, and you read the entire tax code into it. You sir are weird.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »
Seriously, congratulations, Chicos-haters.   You've turned a thread thanking Bill Cords into a bunch of crap.  And don't go saying "Chicos started it."  You did. 

For the love of all that is holy, you find Chicos irritating to read, so use the ignore function and stop being irritated about him, bitching about him. 

Stop reading the posts that irritate you, reporting them to moderators.   Use the ignore button and get on with your lives.

In conclusion, thanks, Bill Cords.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
Seriously, congratulations, Chicos-haters.   You've turned a thread thanking Bill Cords into a bunch of crap.  And don't go saying "Chicos started it."  You did. 

For the love of all that is holy, you find Chicos irritating to read, so use the ignore function and stop being irritated about him, bitching about him. 

Stop reading the posts that irritate you, reporting them to moderators.   Use the ignore button and get on with your lives.

This. Don't associate a post with a username. There was no foul in the post. Enjoy your retirement Bill.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »

Mr. Cords - Thank you

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 11:25:02 AM »
A guy pays Cords a compliment, and you read the entire tax code into it. You sir are weird.

Huh?  I was just teasing Chicos.  Not worried about it either way.  I was simply telling a nice story about Cords from earlier this year.  Have a great day.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »

Weird.

I hope Coach Wojo and his wife Lindsay enjoy their stay at Marquette and eventually when they retire together.  Same goes for our new AD Bill Scholl and his wife Julie.  Usually marriage is teamwork.  I wish them all well at MU, and in their future endeavors together as a team.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »
I hope Coach Wojo and his wife Lindsay enjoy their stay at Marquette and eventually when they retire together.  Same goes for our new AD Bill Scholl and his wife Julie.  Usually marriage is teamwork.  I wish them all well at MU, and in their future endeavors together as a team.

Hahaha, nicely done.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 04:20:32 PM »
Huh?  I was just teasing Chicos.  Not worried about it either way.  I was simply telling a nice story about Cords from earlier this year.  Have a great day.

Willie wasn't responding to you js, he quoted coffee cup whom his dismay was with.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »

Weird.

Anyone who ever bothered to read Cords' official MU bio knows his wife's name.

http://www.gomarquette.com/school-bio/marq-athdirector.html

"He and his wife, Gwen, reside in Brookfield. Daughter, Lisa, graduated from Marquette in May, 1998, with a bachelor's degree in liberal arts and son, Aaron, is a senior in Marquette's electrical engineering program."

If this is so weird, why do you suppose that MU's athletic department--which Bill Cords ran--includes such information?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 07:35:28 AM »
Some of you guys make me laugh and shake my head at the same time.
Based on all accounts, Bill Cords was a huge advocate for the basketball program and his stewardship resulted in nationally recognized product on the court. But, and I ask this fully expecting educated, valid points, what exactly did he do? As an MU fan, I'm genuinely curious to know. Seems like a great guy and I hope I have an opportunity to meet him at some point.

I was just a little agitated with Chicos post given his history--I don't need to know that you worked for him unless you expound on why he was great to work for or that you know his wife's name. The well-wishing is all well and good, but don't use it as an opportunity to boost your "street cred" without anecdotes or rehashing some of his successes.

feedback