Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Who is currently your favorite player in the NBA who played for MU

Dwyane Wade
Steve Novak
Wesley Matthews
Darius Johnson-Odom
Jae Crowder
Dwight Buycks
Jimmy Butler
Vander Blue

Author Topic: Favorite MU player currently in the NBA  (Read 10454 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Favorite MU player currently in the NBA
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »
Gotta love coming to conclusions based on one NBA preseason game!  Chicago sports fans, baby.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »
So seat of the pants hyperbola counts as proof now?  

What does plane geometry have to do with this?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:22:21 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »
Jimmy got my vote, but Wes is a very close second.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »
Scoop had Buzz cutting Jimmy's schollie his sophomore year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
Really, When was the last time Wes got compared to Michael Jordan by one of Michael's former teammates?

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/10/16/6992165/jimmy-butler-hits-game-winner-gets-compared-to-michael-jordan-by

So a know-nothing yahoo -- a guy MJ had zero respect for, BTW -- uses a preseason game to compare a role player with the greatest hoopster ever. Ugh.

And not to diminish Jimmy's game-winner -- because it was a great shot -- but the Bulls were only in position to win because Thibs put the starters back in in the fourth quarter against Atlanta's scrubs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2014, 07:05:15 PM »
So a know-nothing yahoo -- a guy MJ had zero respect for, BTW -- uses a preseason game to compare a role player with the greatest hoopster ever. Ugh.

And not to diminish Jimmy's game-winner -- because it was a great shot -- but the Bulls were only in position to win because Thibs put the starters back in in the fourth quarter against Atlanta's scrubs.

Very true, however, Budenholzer had some starters in there as well.  Thibs only put starters JFB, Noah and Gasol with six minutes to go...And the "scrubs" included Brand, Payne and starter Shroeder.  JFB scored 20 in 6.

To the point, Thibs let Jimmy take over at the end...ran plays for him, asked him to take over defensively. By my count, of the ten players for most of the 4th, JFB was the 8th highest paid.  Here is the understory:  Thibs, well known to hate Bulls management, was sending a message to the ownership and some certain star players. Fact is, Noah and Butler are the only two players Thibs trusts and maybe Captain Kirk.  Thibs just earned Jimmy a big contract last night.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »
Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are inferring, but if you think Wesley is better than DWade even now you are crazy.  DWade is not what he was, but is still far and away more skilled than Wes.  Not hating on Wes, just stating the facts.

Lax Brah,

Did you even read his post before typing such an idiotic response?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »
Very true, however, Budenholzer had some starters in there as well.  Thibs only put starters JFB, Noah and Gasol with six minutes to go...And the "scrubs" included Brand, Payne and starter Shroeder.  JFB scored 20 in 6.

To the point, Thibs let Jimmy take over at the end...ran plays for him, asked him to take over defensively. By my count, of the ten players for most of the 4th, JFB was the 8th highest paid.  Here is the understory:  Thibs, well known to hate Bulls management, was sending a message to the ownership and some certain star players. Fact is, Noah and Butler are the only two players Thibs trusts and maybe Captain Kirk.  Thibs just earned Jimmy a big contract last night.

I didn't know Thibs had such disdain for Bulls management, so I learned something here. I'm 4+ removed from living in Chicago, so I don't follow the teams there nearly as closely as I once did. Makes me like Thibs more!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »
I didn't know Thibs had such disdain for Bulls management, so I learned something here. I'm 4+ removed from living in Chicago, so I don't follow the teams there nearly as closely as I once did. Makes me like Thibs more!

Yep...Gar and John like to overmanage their coach.  Jimmy has a window till the end of October to resign or he is a FA.  Thibs taking care not of JFB...while tweeking Rose and the brain trust.  He has talked up Jimmy in every presser while downplaying Derek.  Master motivator and mind fooker.  Us vs. Them

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/relationship-between-coach-tom-thibodeau-and-gm-gar-forman-reportedly-toxic/

Gar vs. Thibs..a bit old as Jerry settled them down but a lot going on under the surface still.  Derek is a mess, IMO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
Thibs vs. Gar/Pax has potential for great theater but it's hard to imagine it ever being as much fun as fun as Phil vs. Crumbs.

The last couple years he was in Chicago, Jackson used to publicly rip Krause at every opportunity.

And let's not forget that Pax, whom I used to consider a good guy, did rough up Vinny once.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »
As a player, d wade. Hands down.

As a person, Wes. Not that d wade isn't a good person, I just love Wes. High quality human being.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
Buncha FIBs in here.

Lotsa friendly Illinois brethren.

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 11:17:38 PM »
JFB hands down. Ever since I saw him leaving Humphrey to go skateboarding in purple skinny jeans, I was all like "this dude is going places."

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
As a player, d wade. Hands down.

As a person, Wes. Not that d wade isn't a good person, I just love Wes. High quality human being.

This.

Wes kept it real.

Jimmy would be a really close second cuz keepin' it real means singing Miley Cyrus when the video crew is on and not caring what others think.
SS Marquette

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »
Gotta love coming to conclusions based on one NBA preseason game!  Chicago sports fans, baby.

Yeah.  Stupid FIBs.  I mean, really smart wisconsin people would never make sweeping conclusions based off preseason games, or even worse, an intrasquad scrimmage. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 10:09:24 PM »
Yeah.  Stupid FIBs.  I mean, really smart wisconsin people would never make sweeping conclusions based off preseason games, or even worse, an intrasquad scrimmage. 

I'm guessing it's the FIBs who are doing that.  On top of that I have not heard any Marquette fans saying we have someone as good as Wade (the MJ of MU).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
Anyone that didn't vote for Dwade is wrong. He single handy put Marquette back on the map.

If we could separate the two somehow, I'd even say that Dwade > Final Four

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »
It has to be D-Wade
like him or hate him (mostly bulls fans)  D-Wade is going to be an OTHOF.  In this day and age this is extremely rare.  Currently, Kobe, and Dirk are the only other OTHOFs I can think of.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »
Anyone that didn't vote for Dwade is wrong. He single handy put Marquette back on the map.

If we could separate the two somehow, I'd even say that Dwade > Final Four

So, if my favorite MU player in the NBA isn't Wade, I'm wrong?  I voted for Crowder.  I have no illusions that he is the best player to come out of Marquette, I just really liked the way he played while at MU and am impressed that a 6'4" guy with PF skills and not tremendous bulk even has a job in the NBA, so he's my favorite. 

If the question is who was the most influential Marquette player in the NBA, then you would be wrong if you didn't pick Wade.  But anyone can be your personal favorite.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »
So, if my favorite MU player in the NBA isn't Wade, I'm wrong?  I voted for Crowder.  I have no illusions that he is the best player to come out of Marquette, I just really liked the way he played while at MU and am impressed that a 6'4" guy with PF skills and not tremendous bulk even has a job in the NBA, so he's my favorite. 

If the question is who was the most influential Marquette player in the NBA, then you would be wrong if you didn't pick Wade.  But anyone can be your personal favorite.

+1

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 09:41:03 AM »
It has to be D-Wade
like him or hate him (mostly bulls fans)  D-Wade is going to be an OTHOF.  In this day and age this is extremely rare.  Currently, Kobe, and Dirk are the only other OTHOFs I can think of.
Tim Duncan.
Staying with one team is some strange criteria. Was John Stockton somehow better than Karl Malone? Were the careers of Patrick Ewing and Hakeem devalued because they didn't stay where they were drafted? Is Reggie Miller better than Kareem

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
Eh, not worth it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:08:05 AM by ChitownEllenson »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 10:11:50 AM »
Wade and simply because his talent level was something never seen before at MU. Watching him play at MU and for Heat, especially early in his career, was something to see. Remember watching SportsCenter and he was top ten play of the day almost daily for the Heat. Best part was many of those plays were on D side of the ball or unreal pass.

Am a big Wes fan and JFB is hard not to cheer for. Truthfully, it is hard to cheer against any of them.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »
I watch and enjoy Wes, Jimmy and Novak more than Wade.

I just expect Wade to be good, and he is. Watching those three try to get better is more fun.