[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Guarding Kaminsky  (Read 35519 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Guarding Kaminsky
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 03:47:12 PM »
Guy, this isn't the Heat with LeBron going up against the #8 seed or Samford at the Kohl Center. Pretty poor form to already write this one off as a loss especially at home and with all the question marks (that may be answered in the positive) going into the season.

I must've blacked out when I said it was the Heat against an 8 seed or Samford at the Kohl Hole.

What it is is a veteran Bo Ryan team coming off of a Final Four appearance and returning all but 1 key player against a 19-17 team that lost it's 2 best offensive players from a team that struggled to score the basketball.

Are you saying he would be our answer on defense?

I don't think I said that?  Unless I said his 41 and 16 won the Connecticut game on the defensive end of the court?  I'm not sure what you're getting at...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »
I wonder how different this thread would be if Wisconsin didn't play a home game against Oregon last March...

They're very good, but still reliant on the outside shot. They struggled a bit in the middle of last season. If they're off, and MU is hot, who knows. Wouldn't bet on it, but crazier things have happened.

I'll have a lot better handle on this game once I see how MU deals with Ohio State and Georgia Tech's size.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »
I wonder how different this thread would be if Wisconsin didn't play a home game against Oregon last March...

+1

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 04:05:43 PM »
Novak 41? Hell, we managed only 35 against Ohio State last year - and that was with Gardner and Jamil!

If we play mostly man, there's a very good chance that STJr will get into serious foul trouble, and we know that Juan and Deonte are foul-prone.

Our best chance probably will be to play a zone that collapses on Kaminsky and hope Bucky is cold from outside -- kind of the same defense many teams successfully played against us last year. (Of course, unlike the 13-14 Warriors, Bucky actually has some players who actually can make 3s, including Kaminsky.) If we can get ball-pressure up top and Bucky is loose with the basketball, maybe we'll get some steals and fastbreaks.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of many scenarios that will result in victory for our lads. It's simply the case of an outstanding opponent against an inexperienced, height-challenged, less-talented Marquette team. Hey, it happens ... and it probably won't be the only time it happens next season, a transition year before we get back on a roll.

If Bucky is hitting 3s and we aren't, it could go from a mere defeat to an incredibly ugly, humiliating rout. Think the second half of the OSU game and either Creighton game ... only worse.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »

They're very good, but still reliant on the outside shot. They struggled a bit in the middle of last season. If they're off, and MU is hot, who knows. Wouldn't bet on it, but crazier things have happened.

I'll have a lot better handle on this game once I see how MU deals with Ohio State and Georgia Tech's size.

Sounds like Chicos trying to diminish Bert's accomplishments.  The problem is, Wisconsin did play a home game against Oregon last March.  Those are the lamest arguments out there.  "If this team didn't do this then..."  Or, "If you take away these 3 (good or bad, depending on the argument) performances from this player, then his numbers aren't that (good/bad)!"  Bucky did play Oregon at "home," and then won 2 games after that on a neutral court, and went to a Final Four.  And this year they return everyone but one of their many 3 point shooters.  They're a dang good team and we frankly just won't be that good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »
I don't think I said that?  Unless I said his 41 and 16 won the Connecticut game on the defensive end of the court?  I'm not sure what you're getting at...
I didn't see the relevance in stating that Novak is 3 inches taller than any MU player against UW this year.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »
Nope, especially not in the Bradley Center. Professional athletes may not be rattled in a hostile environment but college kids definitely are and safe to say that college players are a lot more comfortable at home ergo they play better.

Let's not forget a little Big East game against UCONN in 2005 when Novak made it rain and we blew the #2 ranked Huskies at the time out of the water to the tune of a 15-point victory, hanging 94 on'em in the process.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=260030269

unfortunately the Bradley Center is NOT usually a hostile environment for WI, maybe some of you getting extra tix are distributing/scalping them too loosely?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »
They're a dang good team and we frankly just won't be that good.
So just to be clear, how do your "ifs" play out that lead to your assessment that "we frankly just won't be that good"?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »
So just to be clear, how do your "ifs" play out that lead to your assessment that "we frankly just won't be that good"?

I don't see Fischer being a savior (he'll be okay, but considering he's our only guy over 6'7" okay isn't going to be good enough).  I don't see JJJ being a savior (he'll be okay, but he's not going to suddenly score even 15 ppg this season, and we kind of need that guy on this team.  Carlino will score a lot but he'll also shoot a lot.  We'll be pesky on the defensive end but we'll struggle to score the ball.  We struggled to score last year and we had Jamil, Davante, and Todd to do that.  This year we lost them and added Carlino (in terms of players who can score...obviously we lost more and added more).  That's not a net positive if you ask me.  We will not score enough to win a lot of basketball games (against non-cupcakes).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »
I don't see Fischer being a savior (he'll be okay, but considering he's our only guy over 6'7" okay isn't going to be good enough).  I don't see JJJ being a savior (he'll be okay, but he's not going to suddenly score even 15 ppg this season, and we kind of need that guy on this team.  Carlino will score a lot but he'll also shoot a lot.  We'll be pesky on the defensive end but we'll struggle to score the ball.  We struggled to score last year and we had Jamil, Davante, and Todd to do that.  This year we lost them and added Carlino (in terms of players who can score...obviously we lost more and added more).  That's not a net positive if you ask me.  We will not score enough to win a lot of basketball games (against non-cupcakes).

Really, the only reason people feel good about this team is because of potential.  Potential that has yet to be proven.  Whether its Duane, JJJ or Deonte, we are expecting them to live up to their billing.  Not to mention the idea that Wojo is going to push magic buttons to get them there.

Now all that may happen.  Perhaps none of it does.  My guess is that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 04:37:20 PM »
Fair enough. Appreciate the explanation.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »

Really, the only reason people feel good about this team is because of potential.  Potential that has yet to be proven.  Whether its Duane, JJJ or Deonte, we are expecting them to live up to their billing.  Not to mention the idea that Wojo is going to push magic buttons to get them there.

Now all that may happen.  Perhaps none of it does.  My guess is that the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Completely agree. It's just fun to think about this team and then realize that you've forgot to include one or two players. So I'm thinking about Duane, JJJ, and Deonte...then remember Taylor, Carlino, and Fischer (second semester). And then maybe Cohen pops into my head. This year is a bit of an anomaly when you consider just how many questions marks there are and that if only a few of them turn out well, we'll be competitive. It'd be better to have a few more birds in the hand, but no one can dispute that it will be entertaining to see how it all plays out.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 04:42:03 PM »
Sounds like Chicos trying to diminish Bert's accomplishments.  The problem is, Wisconsin did play a home game against Oregon last March. 

Not at all. They beat Baylor (who steamrolled a similar team in Creighton) and beat a very good Arizona team. Because of that run, people forget that they were inconsistent at times last season, and lost some games they shouldn't have. With the the same team they have coming back.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
Wisconsin is a preseason top 5 team.

We will be lucky to be a preseason top 100 team.

Hard not to expect this one to be a loss. However, I will continue to hope and proclaim that will beat those nasty, stanky vermin that call themselves Vadgers. Crazier things have happened...but I know this one is probably going to be ugly
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 05:33:34 PM »
Once STjr and Juan pick up their second fouls with 9 minutes to go in the first half, we can throw Cohen, Deonte, and JJJ on them.    After THEY get in foul trouble, we can go with Dawson, Carlino, Duane and Derrick.  I am sure they are quaking in their boots.   I just hope it isn't embarrassing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 05:46:23 PM »
Badgers will probably be starting:

Jackson
Gasser
Dekker
Hayes
Kaminsky

I would counter with

Jackson - Derrick
Gasser - Carlino/JJJ
Dekker - Burton/JJJ
Hayes - Juan
Kaminsky - Steve

Steve might need help when Kaminsky in the post. I think you pull the double team from Dekker's man and pray he's having an off shooting night. Jackson and Gasser are too deadly to leave and Hayes will camp near the post. The best option honestly is for Steve to deny Kaminsky from touching the ball in the post at all.

I have one disagreement.  I think Kaminsky is most dangerous on the perimeter, so I would use Juan on him to chase him around the perimeter.  If Kaminsky goes inside to post Juan up, its much easier to get someone in the paint to double him then it is to double him on the perimeter.  Body wise Steve is also probably needed to handle Hayes inside.  Anyone else on the team would be abused by Hayes' girth, including Juan.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 06:20:33 PM »
So much optimism...I dont think we stand a chance. Badgers too good this year unfortunately. MU still rebuilding.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »
I have one disagreement.  I think Kaminsky is most dangerous on the perimeter, so I would use Juan on him to chase him around the perimeter.  If Kaminsky goes inside to post Juan up, its much easier to get someone in the paint to double him then it is to double him on the perimeter.  Body wise Steve is also probably needed to handle Hayes inside.  Anyone else on the team would be abused by Hayes' girth, including Juan.

Disagreed.  Watching Kaminsky annoyed the heck out of me down on the blocks.  I'd rather he sit out on the perimeter, and I think Steve is athletic enough to guard him out there.  I think Burton plays big enough to guard Hayes in the post, as Hayes is more of a below the rim post player.  Burton loves banging with those guys.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
So based on this thread unless dekker and kaminsky and Hayes all year their acls we don't have a prayer of keeping this game within even double digits? Ok good to know
Maigh Eo for Sam

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »
Triple team.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
So based on this thread unless dekker and kaminsky and Hayes all year their acls we don't have a prayer of keeping this game within even double digits? Ok good to know

So are you volunteering to pull a Tonya Harding?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 07:12:37 PM »
Badgers will probably be starting:

Jackson
Gasser
Dekker
Hayes
Kaminsky

I would counter with

Jackson - Derrick
Gasser - Carlino/JJJ
Dekker - Burton/JJJ
Hayes - Juan
Kaminsky - Steve

Steve might need help when Kaminsky in the post. I think you pull the double team from Dekker's man and pray he's having an off shooting night. Jackson and Gasser are too deadly to leave and Hayes will camp near the post. The best option honestly is for Steve to deny Kaminsky from touching the ball in the post at all.
Your counter line up ensures our ass getting kicked. No offense.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »
Your counter line up ensures our ass getting kicked. No offense.

Carlino and Burton were fantastic offensive players last season. Steve showed a lot of offensive promise. And I am hoping that Juan has finally realized his potential.

Derrick is still our best defender. I think you want him on the court. Paired with Carlino instead of Jake, I think he could be much more effective.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2014, 07:25:08 PM »
So are you volunteering to pull a Tonya Harding?

I mean I'm not guaranteeing anything but I do have a very particular set of skills...
Maigh Eo for Sam

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »
I forgot. Did we suddenly schedule to play these guys?

Psssh, they're 0-1 and all hype.

feedback