Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Guarding Kaminsky  (Read 35525 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Guarding Kaminsky
« on: October 15, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
So we have a pretty good UW team at the BC this year with a chance to pick up a marquee non-conference win...but Kaminsky has been standing in the way of my optimism.

How do we guard him? Taylor and then double team when he gets the ball in the paint? I'm a big fan of Burton putting a body on him from time to time when he's roving around the perimeter or coming over on an aggressive double team. I'll take my lumps at the line every now and then. (although don't want Burton getting into foul trouble). I know Burton is not the best defender at least as of last year, but he has solid body and off-the-chart athleticism, which should be used to throw Kaminsky off his game once and a while.

Thoughts?

MuMark

• All American
Re: Guarding Kaminsky
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:15:48 PM »
Thoughts?

Pray......

Possibly the best UW team ever and MU with a young, untested and undersized team with a rookie head coach.......

Home court will help but winning is highly unlikely...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »
Yeah, not only do you have to worry about Kaminsky, but then who do you stick on Dekker?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
Thoughts?

Pray......

Possibly the best UW team ever and MU with a young, untested and undersized team with a rookie head coach.......

Praying was bandied about in my head as well.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »
If Burton put as much effort into defense as he put into finding shots he'd win Big East Player of the year....

So we have a pretty good UW team at the BC this year with a chance to pick up a marquee non-conference win...but Kaminsky has been standing in the way of my optimism.

How do we guard him? Taylor and then double team when he gets the ball in the paint? I'm a big fan of Burton putting a body on him from time to time when he's roving around the perimeter or coming over on an aggressive double team. I'll take my lumps at the line every now and then. (although don't want Burton getting into foul trouble). I know Burton is not the best defender at least as of last year, but he has solid body and off-the-chart athleticism, which should be used to throw Kaminsky off his game once and a while.

Thoughts?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 01:23:17 PM »
Yeah, not only do you have to worry about Kaminsky, but then who do you stick on Dekker?
JJJ? Height differential of around 4 inches, but not like Dekker is going to be posting him up all that often. I feel pretty good about JJJ matching up with Dekker's athleticism.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »
JJJ? Height differential of around 4 inches, but not like Dekker is going to be posting him up all that often. I feel pretty good about JJJ matching up with Dekker's athleticism.

I don't "feel good" about it, but I don't see much of a choice.  Dekker can shoot over JJJ all day long. 

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »

I don't "feel good" about it, but I don't see much of a choice.  Dekker can shoot over JJJ all day long. 
Shot 32% from beyond the arc last year, a 7% drop from the prior year. As long as JJJ can stick with him around the perimeter and get a hand in his face, I don't think he'll beat us from there. And as far as driving, JJJ has the agility and speed to stay in front of him.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
We have to be fast and quick and use our entire roster. Each player that is in the game has to give 100 percent max effort on both ends until they are exhausted. Wojo will provide the leadership to make this happen.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
MU may not win but I predict a close game. Remember two years ago when a high seeded team from this state was lucky to get out of the second round, had tons of hype and was returning 4 starters? Remember how that went? Just saying, UW was lucky to beat Oregon and had they lost The narrative would be different.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 01:37:42 PM »

Juan.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
Thoughts?

Pray......

Jesus Christ everyone, they're not invincible!!!
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
Badgers will probably be starting:

Jackson
Gasser
Dekker
Hayes
Kaminsky

I would counter with

Jackson - Derrick
Gasser - Carlino/JJJ
Dekker - Burton/JJJ
Hayes - Juan
Kaminsky - Steve

Steve might need help when Kaminsky in the post. I think you pull the double team from Dekker's man and pray he's having an off shooting night. Jackson and Gasser are too deadly to leave and Hayes will camp near the post. The best option honestly is for Steve to deny Kaminsky from touching the ball in the post at all.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
I predict that JJJ barely plays against UW.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 01:56:37 PM »
Juan.

Honestly I forgot about him.  LOL.

You are correct about that.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »
Jesus Christ everyone, they're not invincible!!!
Nope, especially not in the Bradley Center. Professional athletes may not be rattled in a hostile environment but college kids definitely are and safe to say that college players are a lot more comfortable at home ergo they play better.

Let's not forget a little Big East game against UCONN in 2005 when Novak made it rain and we blew the #2 ranked Huskies at the time out of the water to the tune of a 15-point victory, hanging 94 on'em in the process.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=260030269

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »

This is not our 1977 NCAA Championship team. It's the Red Rodent forcryingoutloud.

I don't expect the rodent to got 30-0, blast through the Big 10 and immediately win the NCAA and be compared to the great UCLA teams. But if you read these posts, you would think Bo is the second coming of John Wooden and Dekker is Kareem Jabbar, BilL Walton, Sidney Wicks and Steve Patterson all rolled into one.

Lighten up folks. It's only October!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
This is not our 1977 NCAA Championship team. It's the Red Rodent forcryingoutloud.

I don't expect the rodent to got 30-0, blast through the Big 10 and immediately win the NCAA and be compared to the great UCLA teams. But if you read these posts, you would think Bo is the second coming of John Wooden and Dekker is Kareem Jabbar, BilL Walton, Sidney Wicks and Steve Patterson all rolled into one.

Lighten up folks. It's only October!

Hyperbole much?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »
We have to be fast and quick and use our entire roster. Each player that is in the game has to give 100 percent max effort on both ends until they are exhausted. Wojo will provide the leadership to make this happen.

Nobody has ever won anything unless they give 110%.........100% isn't going to cut it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »
Nope, especially not in the Bradley Center. Professional athletes may not be rattled in a hostile environment but college kids definitely are and safe to say that college players are a lot more comfortable at home ergo they play better.

Let's not forget a little Big East game against UCONN in 2005 when Novak made it rain and we blew the #2 ranked Huskies at the time out of the water to the tune of a 15-point victory, hanging 94 on'em in the process.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=260030269

Who's going to put up 41 points for us?

Juan.

Exactly.  Juan matches up much better with Dekker and Burton with Hayes than the other way around.  Hayes would make Juan look like a rag doll on the block.  In fact, I'll go on record and say that the 2nd toughest matchup for Marquette in this game is Hayes and not Dekker (obviously behind Kaminsky).  Dekker doesn't scare me at all (he'll get his 12 points, fine).

Kaminsky owned the NCAA Tournament when teams played him soft and let him roam around the perimeter without getting into his body.  When Kentucky finally bodied him up all over the court he looked lost.  It's too bad we don't have any size/depth down low to do that.  Steve has the ability to do that, but you can't risk early foul trouble with him being our only size.

This game is a loss.  It'll just be interesting to see if we're competitive or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
Who's going to put up 41 points for us?

Exactly.  Juan matches up much better with Dekker and Burton with Hayes than the other way around.  Hayes would make Juan look like a rag doll on the block.  In fact, I'll go on record and say that the 2nd toughest matchup for Marquette in this game is Hayes and not Dekker (obviously behind Kaminsky).  Dekker doesn't scare me at all (he'll get his 12 points, fine).

Kaminsky owned the NCAA Tournament when teams played him soft and let him roam around the perimeter without getting into his body.  When Kentucky finally bodied him up all over the court he looked lost.  It's too bad we don't have any size/depth down low to do that.  Steve has the ability to do that, but you can't risk early foul trouble with him being our only size.

This game is a loss.  It'll just be interesting to see if we're competitive or not.
Ha, did you honestly think Novak was capable of a 41/16 game against the #2 team in the nation. That game single-handedly put him in the NBA draft conversation. Nobody saw that coming. Nobody.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »
Ha, did you honestly think Novak was capable of a 41/16 game against the #2 team in the nation. That game single-handedly put him in the NBA draft conversation. Nobody saw that coming. Nobody.

41 and 16?  No.  But Novak was a known star.  Everyone knew when he crossed half court he could hit a shot.  Nobody is even close to that type of player on this team.  Novak was the best shooter in college basketball, and he was 3" taller than anybody that will be eligible to play in the Wisconsin game for Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »
Guy, this isn't the Heat with LeBron going up against the #8 seed or Samford at the Kohl Center. Pretty poor form to already write this one off as a loss especially at home and with all the question marks (that may be answered in the positive) going into the season.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
Novak was the best shooter in college basketball, and he was 3" taller than anybody that will be eligible to play in the Wisconsin game for Marquette.
Are you saying he would be our answer on defense?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 03:15:26 PM »
I forgot. Did we suddenly schedule to play these guys?

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

feedback