[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ESPN Insider look at the 14-15 Big East  (Read 10644 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: ESPN Insider look at the 14-15 Big East
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 06:55:55 PM »
Because if you read the projections, we're coming in ninth in the Big East. If they thought JJJ, Burton, and Duane were all going to play like former top 50 kids in their second year, with a great graduate transfer in Carlino, a fourth year senior/second year starter in Derrick, a former top 100 transfer in Luke, two former top 100 upperclassmen in Juan/Steve, and a top 100 freshman in Cohen, they would be picking us to finish in the top half of the Big East. Instead, they look at last year's performance and assume that they can expect more of the same.
Give JJJ some PT and he could be very good one day.Give em a break.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »

Agreed. That's why I said in my initial post that I thought he was unfairly (from an on the court talent perspective) on the bench. I think he will be very good. My point is that people not associated with our program have already (incorrectly) written off JJJ. They see last year and assume that he won't get much better than that. Very few people outside of Marquette probably even remember that he was a top 30 recruit. All they see is his production from last season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
I agree JJJ can be very good. He needs consistent playing time. He is a pure scorer with great acceleration .

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
Agreed. That's why I said in my initial post that I thought he was unfairly (from an on the court talent perspective) on the bench. I think he will be very good. My point is that people not associated with our program have already (incorrectly) written off JJJ. They see last year and assume that he won't get much better than that. Very few people outside of Marquette probably even remember that he was a top 30 recruit. All they see is his production from last season.
If you didnt know he was ranked 27th by espn,you would think he was a 3 star from his production.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »
Because if you read the projections, we're coming in ninth in the Big East. If they thought JJJ, Burton, and Duane were all going to play like former top 50 kids in their second year, with a great graduate transfer in Carlino, a fourth year senior/second year starter in Derrick, a former top 100 transfer in Luke, two former top 100 upperclassmen in Juan/Steve, and a top 100 freshman in Cohen, they would be picking us to finish in the top half of the Big East. Instead, they look at last year's performance and assume that they can expect more of the same.

But more to the point, Reggie Rankin said JJJ was, and I quote, "one and done material." The fact that he barely got off the bench last year would probably qualify him has a bust in Rankin's view. And before people get pissy about vocab, bust just means not living up to initial projections. JJJ still has the chance to be very good, I think he will make it.

So based on Rankin's view that he was a possible one and done, you are assuming that he now thinks he's a "bust." I wasn't getting pissy, just seeing where your comment was coming from. You made a blanket statement about the national media, so I was curious as to what you were referencing. Also, I think most are placing us so low in their projections due to our lack of size...not because of JJJ being a bust. I think all three are going to show why they were top 50 kids!

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »
I'm hoping JJJ and Teve have breakout years since they were wronged the most by Brent.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »
Perhaps another advantage of hiring Wojo.  Wojo-->Duke-->ESPN love. 

With the recent Ellenson commitment creating some buzz (no pun intended), its seemed like ESPN has had a lot of good things to say already about Wojo and MU.  Wojo essentially gets to play with house money this year, as the narrative (at least on the court) will really start next year.  But, if he can spin something special this year and grab a NCAA bid, you can bet ESPN will be all over that story line. 

I wore one of my Marquette t-shirts to basketball practice the other day (I coach at a middle school). A 12-year-old kid sees it and says, "Marquette? That's where Wojo is. I hear he's already doing great."

The kid later said he's a Duke fan, and I do live in N.C., so name recognition will be higher here of course. But I do agree with the thesis that Wojo was not just another no-name assistant. Way more known than Buzz was when we hired him, and almost surely better known by the general public than Crean was.

For whatever all that's worth.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 12:41:13 AM »
I'm hoping JJJ and Teve have breakout years since they were wronged the most by Brent.

I hope so too. We Marquette fans all assume Buzz wronged JJJ, Steve, Dawson, Burton, etc and think they aregoing to have breakout years. People outside our program think they were only good enough to deserve the measly playing time they got. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback