[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Insider look at the 14-15 Big East  (Read 10706 times)

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
ESPN Insider look at the 14-15 Big East
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:17:23 AM »
Projected 2014-15 Big East standings
1. Villanova | 2. Xavier | 3. Georgetown | 4. Providence | 5. St. John's | 6. Marquette | 7. Seton Hall | 8. Creighton | 9. Butler | 10. DePaul

Stranger things have happened in college basketball than Villanova potentially not winning the Big East in 2014-15. Honestly, stranger things have happened just within the Big East over the past few months than Villanova not winning the league title this upcoming season.

Buzz Williams is now the head coach at Virginia Tech; Seton Hall's Kevin Willard has a higher rated crop of freshmen than Florida's Billy Donovan; and a new DePaul arena that has triggered lawsuits, elicited the open opposition of the school's faculty and earned the resentment of many Chicago taxpayers is somehow still on track to open in 2016.

Villanova not winning the Big East wouldn't hold a candle to any of the above in terms of improbability, but you do have to like the defending Big East champs' chances. The Wildcats' status as heavy favorites stems from two sources.

2014-15 All-Big East team
Pos.   Name   Team   Year
G   D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera   Georgetown   Jr.
G   Deonte Burton   Marquette   Soph.
G   Darrun Hilliard   Villanova   Sr.
F   JayVaughn Pinkston   Villanova   Sr.
C   Matt Stainbrook   Xavier   Sr.

First, coach Jay Wright returns Darrun Hilliard, JayVaughn Pinkston, Ryan Arcidiacono and Daniel Ochefu from a starting lineup that went 16-2 in this league last season. Second, Doug McDermott is no longer present in this league, and it's not readily apparent that a conference with several good teams can produce one really good rival to seriously threaten Nova.

If the improbable does happen yet again, however, and some other team has the effrontery to snatch the title away from Villanova, I'll nominate Xavier as the most likely Cinderella. In theory, we should be feeling sorry for Chris Mack, who lost not only Semaj Christon but also Justin Martin and Isaiah Philmore. True enough, but the Musketeers also happen to have the Big East's best two-way big man in Matt Stainbrook, a future star in freshman Trevon Bluiett and enough point guards to play four opponents at once.

Mack is beloved by pluralists everywhere for being one of the few head coaches in Division I who isn't an essentialist when it comes to defensive schemes. The Musketeers keep opponents guessing by mixing man and zone, though lately, the resulting stats have more closely resembled the handiwork of the latter than the former. Teams playing Xavier tend to shoot a very high number of 3s and not worry too much about committing turnovers. If fewer of those opponents' shots from beyond the arc fall this season, the Musketeers can look better on D in a hurry.

Last season, Georgetown fell between two stools, so to speak. The good news was that D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera continued to develop into one of the nation's finest scoring guards, while Markel Starks capped off his career by making first-team All-Big East as a senior. But a solid backcourt alone couldn't make up for Otto Porter's departure, and when UCLA transfer Josh Smith failed to follow up on a very encouraging debut (25 points in 27 minutes against Oregon) and instead earned an academic suspension, John Thompson III's team lost five consecutive games in January and never fully recovered.

With or without contributions from Smith (who has picked up where Renardo Sidney left off and is now the Godot for whom college hoops observers must forever wait), Thompson will entrust his offense to Smith-Rivera and top-40 freshmen Isaac Copeland, L.J. Peak and Paul White. If the Hoyas rebound from last season's uncharacteristically listless showing on D, this team is talented enough to not only return to the NCAA tournament but to do so with a high seed.

For Providence coach Ed Cooley, the wait for Kris Dunn is, apparently, over. Dunn was a top-25 prospect nationally in the recruiting class of 2012, but shoulder injuries have limited him to just 18 starts over two seasons. In those brief appearances, the 6-foot-3 Dunn has been strictly a pass-always point guard, but if full health makes him more assertive he'll be a huge factor, along with LaDontae Henton and Tyler Harris, as the Friars address a rather formidable challenge.

Bryce Cotton has left the Dunkin' Center (Providence's home court), and, to employ terminology well suited to the arena's sponsor, that really does leave a gaping hole. (Ask North Carolina. In Providence's 79-77 loss to the Tar Heels in the round of 64, Cotton lit up UNC for 36 points and eight assists.) Cooley will try to offset that absence with the deepest roster he's had yet at PC.

St. John's had the best defense in the Big East last season, and, if JaKarr Sampson's early departure to play pro ball means more minutes for 6-foot-9 junior Chris Obekpa, there's a very good chance Steve Lavin's men will hold on to this distinction again in 2014-15. Obekpa might be the finest rim protector in all of Division I.

On offense, 6-4 senior D'Angelo Harrison is back for one last round of feast-or-famine hoops. If he's fouled -- he draws six whistles per 40 minutes -- he will almost certainly make you pay, hitting 86 percent of his attempts at the line. But if you don't foul him -- and you shouldn't -- he will almost certainly miss his 2-point attempt.

In 2013-14 there were just three players in the entire country who attempted at least 250 shots inside the arc and connected at a lower rate than Harrison (39 percent). Then again, if the proverbial breakout season arrives on schedule for highly acclaimed sophomore point guard Rysheed Jordan, Harrison may have to carry less of the load as a senior.

At Marquette last season the initial surprise came when the Golden Eagles missed the NCAA tournament for the first time in nine years. Then, a second, and much larger, shock arrived: It wasn't so much that Williams left Al McGuire's chair as that he would do so to take the job at Virginia Tech. The Hokies have not exactly been building Marquette-like multiyear NCAA tournament appearance streaks of late.

Now the MU program is in Steve Wojciechowski's hands, and the first-year coach will set to work trying to improve an offense that had much more in common with Butler and DePaul in terms of shooting from the field than it did with Creighton or Villanova. Maybe Deonte Burton can be part of the new regime's solution.

The last time we saw the 6-4 Burton, he was scoring a career-high 23 points on just 14 shots in a losing effort against Xavier in the Big East tournament. Wojo's sophomore should form one half of a solid nucleus alongside BYU transfer Matt Carlino. And if additional contributions should be forthcoming from top-100 freshman Sandy Cohen, redshirt freshman Duane Wilson and/or Indiana transfer Luke Fischer (eligible as of mid-December), Marquette could surprise almost as many people as Buzz did.

Willard has brought in a freshman class at Seton Hall that ESPN rates as superior to the ones signed by Florida, Texas and Syracuse, to name but a few. Landing two highly coveted NYC prospects like Isaiah Whitehead and Angel Delgado should boost the program's stature and position the Pirates for future successes on the recruiting trail. If you saw this paragraph coming a year ago, take one step forward and accept my salute.

About this 2014-15 season in particular, however, I do have a couple concerns, even with Whitehead and Delgado joining Sterling Gibbs (aka The Villanova Slayer). First, Fuquan Edwin is gone. It will be difficult for any two players to combine an outrageously high steal rate and a huge role in the offense with 50 percent shooting or better on 2s the way Edwin did as a senior.

Second, the Pirates are apparently under instructions to refrain from trying to get offensive boards. Willard is certainly not the only member of his profession to cherish this particular preference, but seeing as his was the No. 1 defensive rebounding team in the league last season, it's possible there's an opportunity cost being incurred here.

• EnlargeAustin Chatman

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
Austin Chatman will have to step up offensively to fill the void left by Doug McDermott.
Delgado is reputed to be a force of nature on the glass, and in Big East play last season the Hall's shooting from the field was measurably superior to its actual scoring per turnover-less possession. It's almost as if some mysterious, unseen force is pulling against what would otherwise be a pretty good offense. Lift the ban, Coach.

Creighton must replace not only the No. 5 scorer in the history of Division I basketball (that would be McDermott) but three other starters as well (Jahenns Manigat, Ethan Wragge and Grant Gibbs). In circumstances such as these, I can't shake the feeling that the Bluejays offense might not be quite as good as it was last season. This is why I earn the big bucks.

Veterans like Austin Chatman and Will Artino will team with Cal transfer Ricky Kreklow and top-100 freshman wing Ronnie Harrell to see if they can at least minimize the inevitable slippage on offense. And before you suggest oh so cleverly that coach Greg McDermott try playing some defense for a change, keep in mind this D was actually pretty normal last season. Not in the same zip code as St. John's or Villanova obviously, but comfortably within the same defensive neighborhood as the likes of Xavier, Georgetown, Seton Hall and Marquette. Direct your snark at all or none of the above as you see fit, but any alternative in between is analytically verboten.

I can envision the return of Roosevelt Jones from the injured list leading to markedly better offense from Butler this season. The Bulldogs simply couldn't buy a basket -- from either side of the arc -- last season, and Jones' return should be an enormous help to Kellen Dunham both in terms of floor spacing and sheer workload.

That being said, Butler's weak spots weren't confined to just one side of the ball in 2013-14. The tallest player on the roster is 6-9 senior Kameron Woods, and last season, Big East opponents made 54 percent of their 2s against this D. The Bulldogs also came in a hair below the Big East average for defensive rebound percentage. Brandon Miller managed to mask these deficiencies to an extent through equal parts skill (Butler rarely fouled) and luck (opponents missed a ton of 3s). But those structural essentials -- short D, long season -- aren't likely to change appreciably in 2014-15.

With each passing year I become more persuaded that the customary way in which we discuss basketball does DePaul a manifest disservice. Coaches cycle in and out of that job, and every last one of them is lectured until he hears it in his sleep that if he would simply mine the rich vein of local talent, all would be well. And, truth be told, DePaul coaches past and present have indeed had some success in recruiting quality players from greater Chicago, yet it never seems to translate on the court. Why?

In each of the past two seasons, the Blue Demons have had the Big East's worst defense by a statistical mile, and last season, conference opponents made a whopping 56 percent of their 2s. When speaking of any offense that doesn't have the benefit of Doug McDermott's services, 56 percent 2-point accuracy over the course of an entire conference season is a pipe dream. In short, the DePaul defense makes opposing offenses much better than they otherwise would be.

Local product Billy Garrett was a top-100 recruit, and, who knows, maybe he'll have a breakout sophomore season. But no major conference team that allows its league to ring up 1.16 points per possession over the course of an entire season can hope to break even on the scoreboard. Until DePaul registers this conclusion and acts upon it, the Blue Demons will continue on their present path, no matter how talented that path might be.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: ESPN Insider look at the 14-15 Big East
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:35:33 AM »
I like this preview. I know we generally hate espn because they hate the Big East but based on this preview I feel like they don't hate us as much as many of the other teams in the conference.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »
I like this preview. I know we generally hate espn because they hate the Big East but based on this preview I feel like they don't hate us as much as many of the other teams in the conference.

Perhaps another advantage of hiring Wojo.  Wojo-->Duke-->ESPN love. 

With the recent Ellenson commitment creating some buzz (no pun intended), its seemed like ESPN has had a lot of good things to say already about Wojo and MU.  Wojo essentially gets to play with house money this year, as the narrative (at least on the court) will really start next year.  But, if he can spin something special this year and grab a NCAA bid, you can bet ESPN will be all over that story line. 

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »
If Deonte Burton is an All Big East 1st-teamer, this is not going to be a bad team.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »
If Deonte Burton is an All Big East 1st-teamer, this is not going to be a bad team.

Not sure I agree with that.  I am expecting Burton to be good (although maybe not 1st Team good, but still good).  I am expecting Carlino to be good but at times frustrating.  Beyond that, I'm not sure what to expect.

If somebody other than Burton steps up and plays at a really high level then we have a chance to be okay.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 12:12:56 PM »
Buy low on JJJ. Nuts how a heralded recruit last year is rarely mentioned despite the fairly universal belief that he was wrongly buried by Buzz.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »
Not sure I agree with that.  I am expecting Burton to be good (although maybe not 1st Team good, but still good).  I am expecting Carlino to be good but at times frustrating.  Beyond that, I'm not sure what to expect.

If somebody other than Burton steps up and plays at a really high level then we have a chance to be okay.
A chance to be okay? That's setting expectations a little too low.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 12:17:03 PM »
A chance to be okay? That's setting expectations a little too low.

I'm not expecting much from this team...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »
Buy low on JJJ. Nuts how a heralded recruit last year is rarely mentioned despite the fairly universal belief that he was wrongly buried by Buzz.

JJJ is an interesting case.  What was odd is Buzz raved about him in the pre-season last year..played him some in the Non-Con, and JJJ had mixed results.  Yet then Buzz absolutely buried him on the bench.  I find it hard to believe that JJJ would have been a weaker option at the 2G than was Jake.  Jake should have been a spot role player and used a floor spacer as needed.  JJJ has a lot more potential off the bounce and mid-range than did Jake...and clearly Jake wasn't the future of the program.  Wish Buzz would have given all the young guys much more run last year, so they would have gotten more game experience.  Oh well.  I'm still optimistic about this year as the talent is there...just has to grow up quickly.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »
I'm not expecting much from this team...
That's so "national media" of you.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »
JJJ is an interesting case.  What was odd is Buzz raved about him in the pre-season last year..played him some in the Non-Con, and JJJ had mixed results.  Yet then Buzz absolutely buried him on the bench.  I find it hard to believe that JJJ would have been a weaker option at the 2G than was Jake.  Jake should have been a spot role player and used a floor spacer as needed.  JJJ has a lot more potential off the bounce and mid-range than did Jake...and clearly Jake wasn't the future of the program.  Wish Buzz would have given all the young guys much more run last year, so they would have gotten more game experience.  Oh well.  I'm still optimistic about this year as the talent is there...just has to grow up quickly.
Good points. Lot of candidates for the X factor this year, but JJJ sits atop my list.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 12:23:36 PM »
Good points. Lot of candidates for the X factor this year, but JJJ sits atop my list.

JJJ is a big piece.

Whether freeing STJ causes Havok

Whether Fishy comes back and further makes point #2 more effective.

How Duane performs and how he reacts to growing pains.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 12:28:04 PM »
That's so "national media" of you.

Not really.  Just see a whole lot of question marks and very few sure things on this team.  Sure, if JJJ starts living up to his potential and if Deonte can put the ball in the hole with an increased role on the team and if Steve and Jaun can hold down the post until Fischer is eligible and if Fischer is ready to be a major contributor right away in December and if Duane is able to contribute at a high level right away and if Carlino can fit into the offense without becoming overly trigger happy, etc. etc. etc. then sure, we'll do some big things.  That's just a whole lot of "ifs" for me to be overly optimistic about the results going into this year.

Even if many of those things come true, we have a 6'7" Steve until mid December and then you add in a 6'10" Fischer and that is literally the only size we have down low (I get it, Juan is 6'6" and Deonte plays bigger than the 6'4" he is listed at, but I don't consider them low post size).  That's not exactly a recipe for huge success in college basketball, more because of the defensive side of things (as we saw, we had some bigs last year but couldn't score anyways).

Maybe I'll be wrong.  That'd be nice.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
Not really.  Just see a whole lot of question marks and very few sure things on this team.  Sure, if JJJ starts living up to his potential and if Deonte can put the ball in the hole with an increased role on the team and if Steve and Jaun can hold down the post until Fischer is eligible and if Fischer is ready to be a major contributor right away in December and if Duane is able to contribute at a high level right away and if Carlino can fit into the offense without becoming overly trigger happy, etc. etc. etc. then sure, we'll do some big things.  That's just a whole lot of "ifs" for me to be overly optimistic about the results going into this year.

Even if many of those things come true, we have a 6'7" Steve until mid December and then you add in a 6'10" Fischer and that is literally the only size we have down low (I get it, Juan is 6'6" and Deonte plays bigger than the 6'4" he is listed at, but I don't consider them low post size).  That's not exactly a recipe for huge success in college basketball, more because of the defensive side of things (as we saw, we had some bigs last year but couldn't score anyways).

Maybe I'll be wrong.  That'd be nice.
I guess I see it as a lot of "if" potential as opposed to having a group of guys that have hit their ceiling and we know what to expect. If only a few of the "ifs" pan out, we can be a tourney team. We've broken through with much less talent in the past. And I'm pretty high on Wojo these days, and believe he has the acumen and work ethic to piece it all together.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »

That wasn't the point. The point was that IF he was a 1st-teamer.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 01:19:36 PM »

I think JJJ is the biggest ? on the team. Marquette fans think he was unfairly buried on the bench. National media types assume he was a bust. I'm hoping like hell that JJJ was unfairly buried by Buzz and that he will come out and play like a top 30 recruit. But we have no real proof of that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
That wasn't the point. The point was that IF he was a 1st-teamer.

I got that.  What I am saying is that I am expecting Deonte to be good.  How good?  I'm not sure.  If it's First Team All Big East then we will be better than expected, but I'm not sure Deonte being a top player as opposed to a really good player is the difference between a bad season and a good season.  Deonte will be good or great.  We need some other players to be good to surprise.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 03:16:52 PM »
JJJ is a big piece.

Whether freeing STJ causes Havok

Whether Fishy comes back and further makes point #2 more effective.

How Duane performs and how he reacts to growing pains.

Having Luke back will absolutely help steve. That way he can play more of a stretch 4 like is is more comfortable with. Gives Steve a lot more room and spacing to work with.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 03:28:53 PM »
JJJ had 5 games of 12 points or more last year. Yes they were against cupcakes. But "busts" don't usually show that level of potential as a freshman even against the bad teams. When I think of highly ranked busts at MU, I think of Erik Williams, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith. None of those guys showed the scoring potential that JJJ had last year. He also had 9 points, 3 assists and only 1 TO on the road against a tournament team in ASU.

JJJ got 15+ minutes in 6 games last year. His point totals in those games were: 12, 9, 18, 12, 12, 14, 6. In 5 of those 7 games he shot at least 50% from the field.

If JJJ gets 20+ minutes this year I hope/expect him to be an efficient, 10+ PPG scorer.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »
JJJ had 5 games of 12 points or more last year. Yes they were against cupcakes. But "busts" don't usually show that level of potential as a freshman even against the bad teams. When I think of highly ranked busts at MU, I think of Erik Williams, Jamail Jones, Reggie Smith. None of those guys showed the scoring potential that JJJ had last year. He also had 9 points, 3 assists and only 1 TO on the road against a tournament team in ASU.

JJJ got 15+ minutes in 6 games last year. His point totals in those games were: 12, 9, 18, 12, 12, 14, 6. In 5 of those 7 games he shot at least 50% from the field.

If JJJ gets 20+ minutes this year I hope/expect him to be an efficient, 10+ PPG scorer.
Good stuff.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »

Agree with all of this except that Reggie smith was highly ranked... He was a three star.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 03:53:22 PM »
Agree with all of this except that Reggie smith was highly ranked... He was a three star.

True, my mistake. Although I'm pretty sure one service had him ranked between 90-100, I can't remember which.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »
True, my mistake. Although I'm pretty sure one service had him ranked between 90-100, I can't remember which.

One service did, although I can't remember.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »
I think JJJ is the biggest ? on the team. Marquette fans think he was unfairly buried on the bench. National media types assume he was a bust. I'm hoping like hell that JJJ was unfairly buried by Buzz and that he will come out and play like a top 30 recruit. But we have no real proof of that.

Where do you get national media types assume JJJ was a bust? I would venture that most realize freshman take time to develop and with wildly inconsistent playing time really didn't have much of a chance.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 06:54:45 PM »
Where do you get national media types assume JJJ was a bust? I would venture that most realize freshman take time to develop and with wildly inconsistent playing time really didn't have much of a chance.

Because if you read the projections, we're coming in ninth in the Big East. If they thought JJJ, Burton, and Duane were all going to play like former top 50 kids in their second year, with a great graduate transfer in Carlino, a fourth year senior/second year starter in Derrick, a former top 100 transfer in Luke, two former top 100 upperclassmen in Juan/Steve, and a top 100 freshman in Cohen, they would be picking us to finish in the top half of the Big East. Instead, they look at last year's performance and assume that they can expect more of the same.

But more to the point, Reggie Rankin said JJJ was, and I quote, "one and done material." The fact that he barely got off the bench last year would probably qualify him has a bust in Rankin's view. And before people get pissy about vocab, bust just means not living up to initial projections. JJJ still has the chance to be very good, I think he will make it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:11:54 PM by The Adventures of HE-Man and the Kangaroo Kid »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback