[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wes the best 2 way 2 guard in the NBA?  (Read 8749 times)

swoopem

• All American
Wes the best 2 way 2 guard in the NBA?
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »
Wes says he's the best 2 way 2 guard in the NBA. I see what he's saying because of his defense, but I think I would take Jimmy over him (as well as the elite 2 guards).

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24751843/wesley-matthews-i-think-im-the-best-2-way-2-guard-in-the-nba
Bring back FFP!!!

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wes the best 2 way 2 guard in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
I would take Wes over Jimmy.  Wes is a better offensive player while not being too much of a step down defensively.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:04:56 AM »
what about Wade?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »
Wes is jumping out the window on this one....

Kobe, D Wade, Klay Thompson all play better Offense than Wes and KB8 and Wade are great defenders too.

He didn't even make Bleacher Reports top 10.  Jimmy Butler came in as #2 out of the top 10.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1743493-ranking-the-best-defensive-shooting-guards-in-the-nba#articles/1743493-ranking-the-best-defensive-shooting-guards-in-the-nba/page/12

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »
Wes > Jimmy. Not close on the offensive end.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »
Wes > Jimmy. Not close on the offensive end.

Yep.  I think Wes is extremely underrated on offense and he is certainly a plus defender.  Here's his shot chart from last season (through early February)

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:24:37 AM »
If you watch portland, wes is not very involved with the offense except to stand on the perimeter n help space the floor and shoot the occasional 3.  Very few touches.  Nice nba player but no where near jimmy or others

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 09:28:11 AM »
If you watch portland, wes is not very involved with the offense except to stand on the perimeter n help space the floor and shoot the occasional 3.  Very few touches.  Nice nba player but no where near jimmy or others

Wes' usage percentage last year:  19.6
Jimmy's usage percentage last year:  16.8

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »
If you watch portland, wes is not very involved with the offense except to stand on the perimeter n help space the floor and shoot the occasional 3.  Very few touches.  Nice nba player but no where near jimmy or others

Jimmy Butler Night in and Night out defends the best player on the opposite team and does a great job at it. Hes the reason Luol Deng is no longer a Chicago Bull. If his Offensive game ever developed to the level of his defense he would be a top 10 player in the league.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »
Jimmy Butler Night in and Night out defends the best player on the opposite team and does a great job at it. Hes the reason Luol Deng is no longer a Chicago Bull. If his Offensive game ever developed to the level of his defense he would be a top 10 player in the league.

Right.  But it hasn't.  That's pretty much the point.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »

Right.  But it hasn't.  That's pretty much the point.

correct and he is arguably on the downward side of his career at this point.  short shlf life in prosports

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »
correct and he is arguably on the downward side of his career at this point.  short shlf life in prosports

At 25 years old and only been in the league 3 years. Downward part of his career is a stretch. Barring injury he has at least 6-7 good years left. He will never be Kobe, Lebron or KD but he will be able to defend them. I guess as long as their is good offensive players around him in Chicago Coach Tibs wont worry to much about it.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »

You're joking right? Jimmy is just getting started and he's also about to get paid. Hopefully by the Bulls, but if they don't sign him he becomes a restricted free agent in which case some team will offer him boat loads.

I know it's the preseason but he's averaging 16ppg so far. His offense is only going to improve, especially if the guys around him stay healthy.
Bring back FFP!!!

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
At 25 years old and only been in the league 3 years. Downward part of his career is a stretch. Barring injury he has at least 6-7 good years left. He will never be Kobe, Lebron or KD but he will be able to defend them. I guess as long as their is good offensive players around him in Chicago Coach Tibs wont worry to much about it.

I think Jimmy's going to have a breakout year. He was relied upon on the offensive end too much last year and his performance regressed as a result. With a healthy D. Rose and the addition of McDermott, Mirotic, and Gasol, he won't have to carry nearly as much weight.

Barring a major setback, I think Jimmy is due a nice payday in the 3-4 yrs @ $8-10M per range.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 11:58:59 AM »
Jimmy's good.

Wes is better.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »
River Rat was trolling Sultan.  Sultan says Wes is better than Jimmy today, and River Rat took exception with that, sarcastically saying that Jimmy can never get better because he's on the decline.  Not sure how that was meant to disprove Sultan's opinion that Wes is better, but there you have it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »
I applaud Wes for his confidence and he very well might be right.

Jimmy can't be the same kind of offensive player simply because he can't make a high rate of 3s. He chucked up WAAAAY too many last year, and I agree with the posters who say Jimmy's overall game will improve this season now that he won't have to do that.

Wade and Kobe still must prove they are elite - though it's worth saying that Wade still outperformed Matthews in most offensive categories last season even though it supposedly was a "bad" year for Wade.

Klay Thompson is right up there, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

28thBrew

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
The competition to Wes in this regard is really only Klay Thompson. Kobe and Wade have both regressed considerably on the defensive end so I don't think they're really in this conversation. And I think there is a good argument that Wes is better than Klay. He can score off the dribble and on the block. Klay isn't doing that (yet, at least).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »

Well if any when Jimmy's offensive game improves, I will acknowledge that he is a better all around player than Wes.

But the issue isn't who has the better future, it is who is better *right now.*

brandx

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
Beal? Derozan? Harden? Westbrook? (I know he plays both guard spots.) Thompson?
Danny Green? Avery Bradley?

I think they are all at least the equal or better than Wes or Jimmy .

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Beal? Derozan? Harden? Westbrook? (I know he plays both guard spots.) Thompson?
Danny Green? Avery Bradley?

I think they are all at least the equal or better than Wes or Jimmy .

I forgot about Beal - a very nice offensive player who isn't a bad defender and can get better. Good job naming him as a candidate for this "honor."

I think of Westbrook as a 1. Harden is one of the worst defensive guards in the NBA. Avery Bradley, maybe, but I don't think he's been as good as long as Matthews.

Danny Green is fairly similar in style to Wes; I'll give Wes the tiebreaker because I like him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 10:56:33 PM »
I forgot about Beal - a very nice offensive player who isn't a bad defender and can get better. Good job naming him as a candidate for this "honor."

I think of Westbrook as a 1. Harden is one of the worst defensive guards in the NBA. Avery Bradley, maybe, but I don't think he's been as good as long as Matthews.

Danny Green is fairly similar in style to Wes; I'll give Wes the tiebreaker because I like him!

I agree Wes has been better that Bradley so far, but I think he will shine in Boston this year. And Wes is limited by the fact that there are other good options on offense in Portland and he is used as a safety valve a lot.

And I put Harden in because he gets such an advantage offensively over Wes that I don't think the defense makes up enough of the difference.

And, put Wes on the Spurs and he would be as good or better than Green in that offense.

I was just throwing out a few more names.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 02:31:48 AM »
I'm actually disappointed when Wes - or any other NBA player - comes out with this type of statement. It can cause problems with teammates and the press.  Disappointing that one of our MU boys felt the need to say this.

As for whether it's true or not, I'd say that Kobe (the last year he was healthy) and Wade are still better, and that Jimmy Effing Buckets is close, but not there yet.  The only guys eligible should be those called on to guard the other team's best 1-3 spot player night in and night out.  Wes does that, and does it well. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 05:58:43 AM »
I absolutely LOVE Butler (both as a Bull and as one of my favorite MU players ever) but I'd have to go with Wesley. I think Jimmy benefits, attention wise, from playing for the Bulls, while Matthews toils in relative obscurity.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 12:57:10 PM »
Wes is jumping out the window on this one....

Kobe, D Wade, Klay Thompson all play better Offense than Wes and KB8 and Wade are great defenders too.

He didn't even make Bleacher Reports top 10.  Jimmy Butler came in as #2 out of the top 10.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1743493-ranking-the-best-defensive-shooting-guards-in-the-nba#articles/1743493-ranking-the-best-defensive-shooting-guards-in-the-nba/page/12

That was 2013 though..
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....