'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2015 Recruiting Targets  (Read 25298 times)

MUMonster03

• All American
2015 Recruiting Targets
« on: October 14, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
Is there anyone else that we really want to get for 2015 since we will have an open scholarship with Gabe leaving? I'm not talking about pipe dreams here, I'm talking about people that the coaching staff are really after. I know some have mentioned just banking it since we have some evening out to do, but I am in the boat of go ahead and use it since we almost always have transfers and Henry will probably only be here for 2 years max.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2015 Recruiting Targets
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »
Davon Dillard and Melvin Frazier are the two names I've heard. There is also the possibility of a transfer pickup in the spring
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:08:53 PM »
Henry is more than likely gonna be 1 and done, especially if he plays like the top 5 player in the country that he's been rated at and with the supporting cast of Deonte, JJJ, Duane, Nick, Hanif and Company we should win alot of games...... :'(

That one is gonna be a great year tho....

Is there anyone else that we really want to get for 2015 since we will have an open scholarship with Gabe leaving? I'm not talking about pipe dreams here, I'm talking about people that the coaching staff are really after. I know some have mentioned just banking it since we have some evening out to do, but I am in the boat of go ahead and use it since we almost always have transfers and Henry will probably only be here for 2 years max.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:10:45 PM by Nevada233 »

brandx

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
Henry is more than likely gonna be 1 and done, especially if he plays like the top 5 player in the country that he's been rated at and with the supporting cast of Deonte, JJJ, Duane, Nick, Hanif and Company we should win alot of games...... :'(

That one is gonna be a great year tho....

Maybe, but I will be surprised if that happens. And I have read no NBA scouts talk about him as a one-and-done.

Also, I wouldn't consider him top 5 just because a service or two may have him at 4 or 5. My guess is that his average will be in the 10-12 range.

That, being said, I think he has a chance to be a solid NBA player - maybe in the Chandler Parsons mode. But I think he will be here two, or possibly three years.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 02:49:41 PM »
Maybe, but I will be surprised if that happens. And I have read no NBA scouts talk about him as a one-and-done.
Also, I wouldn't consider him top 5 just because a service or two may have him at 4 or 5. My guess is that his average will be in the 10-12 range.

That, being said, I think he has a chance to be a solid NBA player - maybe in the Chandler Parsons mode. But I think he will be here two, or possibly three years.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Maybe this has nothing to do with an NBA scout saying it, but this has him going lotto after his frosh year (caveat: I have no idea how reliable draftexpress is)

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:25:25 PM »
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

Maybe this has nothing to do with an NBA scout saying it, but this has him going lotto after his frosh year (caveat: I have no idea how reliable draftexpress is)

Draft Express is pretty good but the move from high school to college is challenging enough particularly for a kid from Rice Lake, I do not see it.  2 years I see at most if he is that good.  Remember Brian Butch, he was a big time Top 10 player, that had a nice 4 year career at UW.  Lets see how Henry does against better competition everyday, in practice as well as games.
Long way to go before he is in the NBA.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »
Draft Express is pretty good but the move from high school to college is challenging enough particularly for a kid from Rice Lake, I do not see it.  2 years I see at most if he is that good.  Remember Brian Butch, he was a big time Top 10 player, that had a nice 4 year career at UW.  Lets see how Henry does against better competition everyday, in practice as well as games.

I'm all for letting him develop at his pace. One and done is still rare and it takes an elite talent. Just saying it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility. He's considered that good.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
I'm all for letting him develop at his pace. One and done is still rare and it takes an elite talent. Just saying it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility. He's considered that good.

Anything is possible, looking at Draft Express, the 2015 top white American is Sam Decker, 2016 top white player is Henry, now that in itself is amazing, two white kids from Wisconsin,
love it.  But even Sam realized he needed 3 years so one and done, pretty hard to do, Sam could have come out last year but it sounds like he knew he needed more seasoning before
the NBA.  I am hoping the same for Ellenson because when he is a soph, the team should be very talented with experienced players.  Probably a Top 10 team, 

Fisher, Ellenson, Burton, Duane and Cheatham or JJJ, back-ups will be good as well. Wojo only needs a back-up 4 in 2015 recruiting.  The rest is back besides Taylor.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »
I'm guessing draft Express is as accurate this far out from the draft as 2016 college recruiting lists. How many times have the bozos from draft express flown in to watch HE play? How about...zero. How many times have the same experts watched him play AAU? Probably zero.

Can u imagine a job in which your responsibility is to watch some AAU games and rank players based off of performance? Haha. Impossible. I read quotes on here that are from "recruiting experts" in which they state that they will have an updated list...or re-evaluate a certain player's standing in their top 100 list. It's like, "I'm going to fly out to Sioux Falls and watch "x" and then adjust the top 100 list." Yeah...ok. I'm sure P5 programs are waiting in anticipation.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »

Can you really compare Butch to HE? Is it fair to compare across draft classes/years?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
I'm guessing draft Express is as accurate this far out from the draft as 2016 college recruiting lists. How many times have the bozos from draft express flown in to watch HE play? How about...zero. How many times have the same experts watched him play AAU? Probably zero.

Uh...HE did participate in several USA basketball functions.  Draft Express has at least seen him once, if not more.

TWITTER TRACKER[/b]

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress     ·   Oct 9    

Henry Ellenson's 36.4 PER was the best in @usabasketball U17 World Championship history, ahead of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Andre Drummond.

Huge picked up for Marquette in Henry Ellenson. Averaged 29 pts, 17 rebs per-40 at U17s in Dubai. Looked great at Dev Camp this past weekend

Here's an interview we did w/ Henry Ellenson at the U17 World Championship in Dubai. Had 3rd best PER at tournament. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Henry-Ellenson-7234/

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:48:34 PM by Ellensons Headband »

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »
Uh...HE did participate in several USA basketball functions.  Draft Express has at least seen him once, if not more.

TWITTER TRACKER[/b]

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress     ·   Oct 9   

Henry Ellenson's 36.4 PER was the best in @usabasketball U17 World Championship history, ahead of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Andre Drummond.

Huge picked up for Marquette in Henry Ellenson. Averaged 29 pts, 17 rebs per-40 at U17s in Dubai. Looked great at Dev Camp this past weekend

Here's an interview we did w/ Henry Ellenson at the U17 World Championship in Dubai. Had 3rd best PER at tournament. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Henry-Ellenson-7234/

This....it's not just local HS hoops for guys of HE's caliber.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 07:55:51 PM »
Uh...HE did participate in several USA basketball functions.  Draft Express has at least seen him once, if not more.

TWITTER TRACKER[/b]

Oh...well...thank god they saw him outside of h.s. and AAU.

Quick question: if these guys are so damn good at evaluating talent, why haven't they gotten hired by an NBA franchise? No need to respond...I know the answer.

brandx

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »
Oh...well...thank god they saw him outside of h.s. and AAU.

Quick question: if these guys are so damn good at evaluating talent, why haven't they gotten hired by an NBA franchise? No need to respond...I know the answer.

They do get hired at times - but there are a limited number of jobs.

And, I don't think you understand the whole concept here. It is NOT an exact science. You aren't just looking at Player A and saying he is better than Player B. You are projecting one, two, three or more years ahead depending on what level you are scouting. You are projecting mental and physical growth as well as looking at current basketball skills.

It's not about who is the best shooter or best jumper, etc. Besides the obvious skills that you look for, they are watching what the player does when he has the ball, when he doesn't have the ball, when he is on defense, how hard of a worker the player on and off the court, etc. etc.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:46:47 PM »
NBA scouts don't have a monopoly on evaluatiing talent....they make mistakes all the time. It is an inexact science to say the least.

Also my understanding is that Draft Express does talk to NBA scouts as well as evaluate players on their own.

I am no scout yet I saw Demarcus Cousins play once at Mark Millers tournament when he was a junior in high school and told the people I was with that he would be a lottery pick.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »
NBA scouts don't have a monopoly on evaluatiing talent....they make mistakes all the time. It is an inexact science to say the least.

Also my understanding is that Draft Express does talk to NBA scouts as well as evaluate players on their own.

I am no scout yet I saw Demarcus Cousins play once at Mark Millers tournament when he was a junior in high school and told the people I was with that he would be a lottery pick.

Draft Express has seemed pretty decent in the past on their pre-draft Mocks. It's awfully hard to predict a year or two ahead of time.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 09:00:58 PM »
They do get hired at times - but there are a limited number of jobs.

Who?

And, I don't think you understand the whole concept here. It is NOT an exact science.

Do you mean to tell me that the 55th ranked player isn't better than the 56th ranked player and slightly worse than the 54th ranked play in any given year? Crap!

You aren't just looking at Player A and saying he is better than Player B. You are projecting one, two, three or more years ahead depending on what level you are scouting. You are projecting mental and physical growth as well as looking at current basketball skills.

How do they project growth? Do they have access to medical records? Are they also doctors? Can they project growth themselves based on growth plates. You know...I could stick my head up a cows....nevermind.

It's not about who is the best shooter or best jumper, etc. Besides the obvious skills that you look for, they are watching what the player does when he has the ball, when he doesn't have the ball, when he is on defense, how hard of a worker the player on and off the court, etc. etc.

Oh my god, you mean to tell me that they watch players? Get outta town!

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
Can you really compare Butch to HE? Is it fair to compare across draft classes/years?

Ellenson is much farther along physically at the same stage as Butch.  Brian had a hard time staying on the floor for long spurts while Henry and Diamond Stone can play an entire high school game.  That's the big reason Brian redshirted.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »
So, TAMU or anyone... any idea if we are targeting anyone outside of Dillard? Is there a random darkhorse candidate that we aren't paying attention to that likely plays the 3?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 12:50:27 PM »
So, TAMU or anyone... any idea if we are targeting anyone outside of Dillard? Is there a random darkhorse candidate that we aren't paying attention to that likely plays the 3?

I think you should always keep 1 scholarship for spring with about 500 kids transferring every year, with 12 kids next year coming in, thats enough to try and keep them all happy?  Unless
there is a top kid, why use it?  And I am saying a 4-5 star.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 01:01:12 PM »
I think you should always keep 1 scholarship for spring with about 500 kids transferring every year, with 12 kids next year coming in, thats enough to try and keep them all happy?  Unless
there is a top kid, why use it?  And I am saying a 4-5 star.

Not to stereotype dukies but with Wojo having the Duke mentality bringing it to a school with the tradition of MU I think he'd agree with you it's either transfers that have proven they can ball or 4-5 stars out of HS
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 01:31:23 PM »

Dillard and Frazier are the only names I've heard for sure.

Some other guys who are top 150 talent, that aren't already a heavy lean elsewhere, who I think could help us include:

Marcus LoVett: 6-0 170 PG from Chicago (only top 100 kid besides Dillard/Frazier I really think we could have a shot at)
Shawntrez Davis: 6-8 200 PF from Atlanta
Keith Stone: 6-7 240 SF from Florida (no relation to the Keystone Lite guy)
Andre Adams: 6-8 200 PF from Florida
Damontrae Jefferson: 5-7 150 PG from Milwaukee (Mo Acker Reduex!)
Isaiah Moss: 6-5 175 SF from Chicago (former Steve Taylor Jr. teammate)
Jordan Murphy: 6-7 215 SF from Texas (former Buzz target)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:35:24 PM by The Adventures of HE-Man and the Kangaroo Kid »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »

Some other guys who are top 150 talent, that aren't already a heavy lean elsewhere, who I think could help us include:

Marcus LoVett: 6-0 170 PG from Chicago (only top 100 kid besides Dillard/Frazier I really think we could have a shot at)

I think LoVett is the guy we may end up with if Dilliard picks Purdue.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »

Isaiah Moss never played with Steve Taylor at Simeon. He was at Lincoln Way East his freshman year. He blew up over the summer. When I played against him he wasn't aggressive and seemed to be hesitant to shoot.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »
Recruits for 2015--- I know we have NN, but I think Marcus LoVett would be outstanding. If Dawson
doesn't have a good year or start, I think he leaves. Also a good rebounder and sky jumper like Shawntrez Davis at 6-8 would be a compliment to the front line off the bench. Heldt, who I think will be a solid player
at MU, will need a year or 2. Just a thought