[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2014-15 Intro Video  (Read 18780 times)

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
Re: 2014-15 Intro Video
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 03:05:21 PM »

Today I am sitting on my couch, watching football, and playing around on the internet.  Does that count as a win?

Not if beer isn't involved.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 03:05:48 PM »

Today I am sitting on my couch, watching football, and playing around on the internet.  Does that count as a win?
Epic win

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 03:06:33 PM »
Not if beer isn't involved.

Too much involvement last night.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
My arschlug response: *not sure if that is the true German spelling* MU spends top $s to have BB teams and that should require some accountability of Athl Dept for putting together blah, mediocre executions like this year's Mens BB Pre player Intro Video. Our school, who laid off teachers and other personnel, spent hard $s on video. BB is important to MU. For those who say: "it is what is" or "so we can blame a poor season on the video" (or something like that Ms Chick), if you have any mgmnt responsibility, would you allow your direct reports to give you inferior, lackluster, mediocre execution? If so, I hope that your employers soon figure out that you don't have management potential.

MU spends like some of the top tier programs. This pre game video is typical of:

1. government or academia "oh that is nice but it doesn't mean anything" POV while dropping serious money in production
2. people who think that Marketing/PR (same objectives but different disciplines) mean nothing anyway because it is all smoke'n'mirrors.
3. regardless of your place in life, I could direct a video-TV spot-promo because it is all about what I think the video is about (even though it runs very quick and if you run it 2 -3 times for yourself you can analyze it better to your personal intent - sorry grasshoppers, it doesn't work that way in real life when you've got 13,000+ in the stands waiting to get revved up). It is more of Dominican emotive[i ]than a Jesuit rational[/i] approach. This execution just doesn't do it - it is weak and non-motivating unless you want to sit around, try to analyze it and justify the poor execution. Professional video in-arena doesn't work that way. BTW, I can be fun at a party, but when my school spends big $s on underperforming stuff, I've got the cahonees to speak out.

Where is the MU staff accountability. MU needs to look harder at this stuff. We expect to be top tier in BB. Why should't MU alumni, students and fans expect better (for the budget) in MU marketing brand executions? WIN every day NOT. Do you think the new Coach, Pres or AD were hired by explaining MU's situation as "it is what is"? Where is the accountability? There should better than just good stuff (and this isn't even that). I doubt if Wojo or the new pres have much experience in marketing... so letting the same people who gave MU season ticket holders the pablum like William's SuperHeroes (far from it!) or the past PR blunders (WVa, Milwaukee Journal relations or Chicago Tribune relations/handling) ought to be addressed. The new intro video is very weak.

If my memory serves me right, MU changed a past Intro video. Why can't MU do that again? Did they "test" the spot?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:59:11 AM by CoachRaymondsClass »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »
A number of people said they like it.  You don't. 

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »
its solid

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »
My arschlug response: *not sure if that is the true German spelling* MU spends top $s to have BB teams and that should require some accountability of Athl Dept for putting together blah, mediocre executions like this year's Mens BB Pre player Intro Video. Our school, who laid off teachers and other personnel, spent hard $s on video. BB is important to MU. For those who say: "it is what is" or "so we can blame a poor season on the video" (or something like that Ms Chick), if you have any mgmnt responsibility, would you allow your direct reports to give you inferior, lackluster, mediocre execution? If so, I hope that your employers soon figure out that you don't have management potential.

MU spends like some of the top tier programs. This pre game video is typical of:

1. government or academia "oh that is nice but it doesn't mean anything" POV while dropping serious money in production
2. people who think that Marketing/PR (same objectives but different disciplines) mean nothing anyway because it is all smoke'n'mirrors.
3. regardless of your place in life, I could direct a video-TV spot-promo because it is all about what I think the video is about (even though it runs very quick and if you run it 2 -3 times for yourself you can analyze it better to your personal intent - sorry grasshoppers, it doesn't work that way in real life when you've got 13,000+ in the stands waiting to get revved up. It is more of Dominican emotivethan Jesuit rational approach. This execution just doesn't do it - it is weak and non-motivating unless you want to sit around, try to analyze it and justify the poor execution. Professional video in-arena doesn't work that way,

No accountability. MU needs to look harder at this stuff. We expect to be top tier in BB. Why should't MU alumni, students and fans expect better (for the budget) in MU marketing brand executions? Do you think the new Coach, Pres or AD were hired for explaining MU's situation as "it is what is"? There should be accountability. There should better than just good stuff (and this isn't even that). I doubt if Wojo or the new pres have much experience in marketing... so letting the same people who gave MU pablum like William's SuperHeroes (far from it) or the past PR blunders (WVa, Milwaukee Journal relations or Chicago Tribune relations/handling) ought to be addressed. The new intro video is very weak.

If my memory serves me right, MU changed a past Intro video. Why can't MU do that again? Did they "test" the spot?
Good God, you must be fun at a party.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 10:03:59 PM »
Sultan and above: you guys are very easy to please.

Do you have any commercial production experience? Do you have any consumer marketing experience? This place is like when my clients say: " I showed it to my wife and she said...."  Everyone thinks they can do TV/video... yeah, they can. But that doesn't make them effective. Look at MU Athl Dept.

I'm giving up. MU deserves better. Pay top bucks for a program. Shouldn't get lackluster/mediocre ancillary executions to support program. This intro will wear out very quickly with the target audience.

I'll just lurk again to see if anything of interest turns up. Surprised nobody turned this into a Chuck Norris joke.  I offer to buy Keefe an imported beer when in Seattle area - an ex AF pilot even said it was a weak brand execution (whatsa matter with the rest of you?) I thought this was supposed to be the "with it" board. Someone started the subject and I responded - thought that was what this board was supposed to be about
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:05:15 AM by CoachRaymondsClass »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »
I'm responding.  I'm not turning it into a joke.  I simply think you are over-thinking the intro video.  Could it be better?  Sure.  Is it worth the time and money to start from ground zero...including the coaches and players time?  Doubt it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 10:28:40 AM »
I'm responding.  I'm not turning it into a joke.  I simply think you are over-thinking the intro video.  Could it be better?  Sure.  Is it worth the time and money to start from ground zero...including the coaches and players time?  Doubt it.

+1 

On that same note, has anyone seen any intro videos from other teams that are better?  Serious question.  If so, post them.
Have some patience, FFS.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
I mean it's ok but I was very underwhelmed by it. Call me crazy but I like things that don't seem so scripted. This seemed so canned. Plus there seemed to be no plan for this to tell as a "story". That's really what it should be doing. Seems like they had no plan so they just took some shots of guys goofing around in the locker room, almost like they said "someone do something funny for the video". That's not interesting at all. All of it was shot in one place - could have seen more campus.

Most of all - I think it should have featured Wojo more and not just in the VO. Since this year will be a struggle on the court and we have little bellcow talent to promote...Wojo should have been the focus of the video and him "getting to know" the campus and community.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »
Sultan and above: you guys are very easy to please.

Do you have any commercial production experience? Do you have any consumer marketing experience? This place is like when my clients say: " I showed it to my wife and she said...."  Everyone thinks they can do TV/video... yeah, they can. But that doesn't make them effective. Look at MU Athl Dept.

I'm giving up. MU deserves better. Pay top bucks for a program. Shouldn't get lackluster/mediocre ancillary executions to support program. This intro will wear out very quickly with the target audience.

I'll just lurk again to see if anything of interest turns up. Surprised nobody turned this into a Chuck Norris joke.  I offer to buy Keefe an imported beer when in Seattle area - an ex AF pilot even said it was a weak brand execution (whatsa matter with the rest of you?) I thought this was supposed to be the "with it" board. Someone started the subject and I responded - thought that was what this board was supposed to be about

It's a meet-the-team video. I don't think anyone is looking for it to win the Palme d'Or.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 03:19:33 PM »
My view is that its not the best effort that I can recall, but probably not the worst either. Agree with Sultan, that it is impractical to reproduce the entire effort. And even if they did, what if Raymond still isn't satisfied?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 03:23:31 PM »
Better than the team walking on top of mini computerized Milwaukee or the simple MArquette logo going slowly across the screen to a song by fatboy slim or the version where it's thunderstruck or the video where they're playing at a suburban park or the one where they're randomly playing hoops all over campus.  Really the Pray, the "I am..." And the 11-12 workout one were the only truly pump up ones I can't think of.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »
Please let real basketball start so I won't have to read folks overanalyze a freakin' video or ascribe season predictions to an intrasquad scrimmage.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »
I liked this one quite a bit. So many new faces though, my god.

The best part was when Derrick looked back, like he was about to show the world he was going to go off.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2014, 07:02:19 PM »
+1 

On that same note, has anyone seen any intro videos from other teams that are better?  Serious question.  If so, post them.

Anyone? 

Really?

I thought CoachRaymondsClass would have put up a half-dozen by now, given that he thinks MU's was so terrible they out to sh!tcan it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2014, 07:25:19 PM »
Need a Jen Lada "Marquette Beer Money" opening video...

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »
Need a Jen Lada "Marquette Beer Money" opening video...

Is that the chick with the lisp or the one who is hard of hearing?

Death on call

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
I actually think it's pretty darned good! Then again, I also enjoyed the one when the players looked like giants walking through Milwaukee.

source?

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »
Anyone? 

Really?

I thought CoachRaymondsClass would have put up a half-dozen by now, given that he thinks MU's was so terrible they out to sh!tcan it.

I don't think any other BE teams have had their madness event yet.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2014, 09:33:30 PM »
I don't think any other BE teams have had their madness event yet.

I wasn't limiting it to the Big East.  Or even this season.
Have some patience, FFS.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2014, 09:40:01 PM »
I thought it was pretty sweet.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 10:38:23 AM »
BTW, I can be fun at a party, but when my school spends big $s on underperforming stuff, I've got the cahonees to speak out.

If you measure your "cohonees" by what you type on an anonymous message board, then I think you might have bigger issues that just the video.

If you didn't like it, you didn't like it. That's fine.

But, I'm not sure it's a sign of institutional apocalypse, as you indicated.

It's just a matter of taste, thus the indifferent reaction by other posters.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »
Please let real basketball start so I won't have to read folks overanalyze a freakin' video or ascribe season predictions to an intrasquad scrimmage.

Says the guy who provided his analysis in the same thread... :)

Rather than a specific theme or setting (playground, campus life morphing to basketball, superheros, etc) I really like the fact that this year's focus seems to fit Wojo's message.  We're all a part of one of the greatest histories in college basketball and we fight to win in all aspects of our lives.  Derek's backward glance invites us along.  Students, alumni, everyone.  We are Marquette.  Let's do our part.  See you at the scrimmage.

feedback