'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2014-15 Intro Video  (Read 18946 times)

warriorchick

• All American
2014-15 Intro Video
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:14:14 AM »
Thoughts?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rY2Ifoxtob0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rY2Ifoxtob0</a>
Have some patience, FFS.

CAGASS24

• All American
Re: 2014-15 Intro Video
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:25:56 AM »
Still showing expert production quality; but doesn't really carry much pump factor for me- it's no pray, and I also really like the one where the team passed the ball around campus

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »
Sandy with the double somersault half twist.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 09:45:32 AM »
Rather than a specific theme or setting (playground, campus life morphing to basketball, superheros, etc) I really like the fact that this year's focus seems to fit Wojo's message.  We're all a part of one of the greatest histories in college basketball and we fight to win in all aspects of our lives.  Derek's backward glance invites us along.  Students, alumni, everyone.  We are Marquette.  Let's do our part.  See you at the scrimmage.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:49:08 AM by jsglow »

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 09:59:55 AM »
Still showing expert production quality; but doesn't really carry much pump factor for me- it's no pray, and I also really like the one where the team passed the ball around campus

Please tell me the second video you mentioned should be in teal.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 10:22:02 AM »

Yeah, pretty good but not great.

Random thoughts and nitpicks:
1. Seems to take a shot Buzz right off the bat
2. Wojo doesn't have Morgan Freeman's narrating ability. Should've had players split up the narrative
3. "We stand on shoulders of giants" is kinda weak. Come up with unique wording then throwing random quotes
4. He keeps saying "the best" as if we aren't included. Kind of Buzz's underdog mentality.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »
I enjoyed it. It's not as good as Pray, but better than many of the recent videos. I liked that Wojo was involved. Could have used more pump up thought I enjoyed the end.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 02:17:55 PM »
I'm down with it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 02:52:59 PM »
I love it.

It's what we're about at Marquette.

Only criticism:It would be nice if it were a bit edgier. As if we snarled. As if we're angry we're not taken seriously.

As if we have some a*s kicking to do. We don't just win, we take no prisoners. Just like in life!

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »
Looks good to me. My favorite video though is from 2005-06 I think, with the players walking as giants through Milwaukee/campus. I think Ousmane may have climbed over the Al even. The production quality has improved just a bit since then.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 08:21:34 PM »
All meaningless until we see them play. Realistically I hope we see progress each game. That is all we can ask for this year.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 09:21:34 PM »
Just OK. Very low on the in-stadium "rev 'em up" factor. Copy sounds wooden like a marketing/creative strategy statement. i've seen a lot of spots with good production value, but that doesn't make them motivating nor good. I liked the fun parts like Luke mugging and the Chief doing somersault,,, also Derrick looking into the lens at end.

The "win every day" theme, or more appropriately tag line, is really an in-house team theme because players are only as good as they practice every day, and must bring it in practice every day. Nothing is tied together in the video to lead to the concluding tag line "win every day" to make it pop or bring a climax to the piece - tie it all together. Players get it, but I'm not sure students and fans do.

Last years was not good. This year is blah. However, I could see how the Academic and Athl Dept would like it, think that it was good and approve it.  Player motivation theme does not = student and all fan motivation theme for pre game intro. Pretty pictures do not necessarily make a good message. I would like to take a trip through the Athl Dept wastebasket to see what alternatives they turned down.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »
Pro:
- Including Wojo's voice
- Key shots of some of the younger players
- The revolving, changing players towards the end
- DWil looking over his shoulder at you

Con:
- Some of the posed "sneers" didn't seem to fit
- The Giants flashed by pretttttty quick
- Not all of the players "revolved" at the end; would have loved to see all of them.
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »
Just OK. Very low on the in-stadium "rev 'em up" factor. Copy sounds wooden like a marketing/creative strategy statement. i've seen a lot of spots with good production value, but that doesn't make them motivating nor good. I liked the fun parts like Luke mugging and the Chief doing somersault,,, also Derrick looking into the lens at end.

The "win every day" theme, or more appropriately tag line, is really an in-house team theme because players are only as good as they practice every day, and must bring it in practice every day. Nothing is tied together in the video to lead to the concluding tag line "win every day" to make it pop or bring a climax to the piece - tie it all together. Players get it, but I'm not sure students and fans do.

Last years was not good. This year is blah. However, I could see how the Academic and Athl Dept would like it, think that it was good and approve it.  Player motivation theme does not = student and all fan motivation theme for pre game intro. Pretty pictures do not necessarily make a good message. I would like to take a trip through the Athl Dept wastebasket to see what alternatives they turned down.

Kinda like G.T.S.T., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 09:58:25 PM »

Sorry - don't get it? What does it mean? Is it funny?

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 06:34:06 AM »

Sorry - I had to think about this, and then I realized that you meant one of the William's team season motto:

Grind Together, Shine Together.

You are correct sir!  It was something the team used to rally around all season. BUT it was NOT the theme (if I remember correctly) of the In-Stadium Pre Player Introduction Video. What works for the team (and I like "Win Every Day" for Locker Room Signs as an example) does not work for Fans in the Stands? The theme should be focused on getting fans revved up emotionally and eliciting fan behavior to support the team for that game - cheer loud and wildly. This strategy and execution is FLAT. Where is the call to action? (I think that it is supposed to be the frames where Derrick turns and looks into lens - way too subtle for what's needed).

MU AD has roughly 20 - 30 days till season opener. If I worked for them, I'd recommend that they bite the bullet and have a complete redo with a new theme. Start with a new theme that focuses on the objective (joke: this would be nice for graduation or frosh orientation) and get some good copy, that meets objective, a dramatic voiceover anncr, some contemporary big beat music and recut footage they have or shoot some more. Keep Wojo coaching and Lovell administering - it sounds like a vision statement. I'd bet this was done MU in-house with an outside production company. Time for the new AD to step up and look at MU marketing and PR - Get it right.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 08:42:51 AM »
I like it.  It is what it is. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 10:42:43 AM »
Poor acoustics and Wojo mispronounced "Marquette."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »
Sorry - I had to think about this, and then I realized that you meant one of the William's team season motto:

You are correct sir!  It was something the team used to rally around all season. BUT it was NOT the theme (if I remember correctly) of the In-Stadium Pre Player Introduction Video. What works for the team (and I like "Win Every Day" for Locker Room Signs as an example) does not work for Fans in the Stands? The theme should be focused on getting fans revved up emotionally and eliciting fan behavior to support the team for that game - cheer loud and wildly. This strategy and execution is FLAT. Where is the call to action? (I think that it is supposed to be the frames where Derrick turns and looks into lens - way too subtle for what's needed).

MU AD has roughly 20 - 30 days till season opener. If I worked for them, I'd recommend that they bite the bullet and have a complete redo with a new theme. Start with a new theme that focuses on the objective (joke: this would be nice for graduation or frosh orientation) and get some good copy, that meets objective, a dramatic voiceover anncr, some contemporary big beat music and recut footage they have or shoot some more. Keep Wojo coaching and Lovell administering - it sounds like a vision statement. I'd bet this was done MU in-house with an outside production company. Time for the new AD to step up and look at MU marketing and PR - Get it right.

I hear what you are saying, but these things are a little overblown anyway.  I mean, after getting revved up for a minute or so, the game starts and everyone settles down. 

I mean, it's just an intro video.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »

So I guess if we have a disappointing season, we can blame the intro video.
Have some patience, FFS.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 11:41:34 AM »
So I clocked the screen time and Dawson has about 6-7 seconds of screen time compared to Dwil's 4 (4.5 at most).

You could argue that I am reading too much into that, but I find it hard to believe that it's a mere coincidence.  Signal received, Wojo, signal received. 

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 11:45:54 AM »
So I clocked the screen time and Dawson has about 6-7 seconds of screen time compared to Dwil's 4 (4.5 at most).

You could argue that I am reading too much into that, but I find it hard to believe that it's a mere coincidence.  Signal received, Wojo, signal received. 

I need a new foil hat.  Where'd you get yours?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
From a branding standpoint it is pretty awful.

Death on call

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 02:11:48 PM »
Win every day

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
Win every day

Today I am sitting on my couch, watching football, and playing around on the internet.  Does that count as a win?

feedback