[Today at 11:14:56 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

NIL Future by Hards Alumni
[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Madness Thoughts  (Read 34985 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Madness Thoughts
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2014, 04:03:24 PM »
In the words of our immortal QB..........RELAX.  ::)

Who's our Aaron Rodgers? Or Nelson, Cobb, Lacy, Matthews, Tranon, or Peppers, for that matter. I sea a couple of Davante Adams's and HaHa Clinton-Dix's, but those guys don't make me relax, they make me excited about the future.

I think lots of players on this team have the talent to be as good, or better than Crowder and DJO. It's a matter of them putting it together, just like it was for those two players.

As good or better than DJO and Crowder?! Wow!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »
Who's our Aaron Rodgers? Or Nelson, Cobb, Lacy, Matthews, Tranon, or Peppers, for that matter. I sea a couple of Davante Adams's and HaHa Clinton-Dix's, but those guys don't make me relax, they make me excited about the future.

As good or better than DJO and Crowder?! Wow!

I think Deonte, JJJ, and Duane all have the capability to become just as good as those two. Obviously not there yet, but the other two had JUCO experience before they got here and it served them well. After this season we will have more firm understanding of what we have with these three.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
I think Deonte, JJJ, and Duane all have the capability to become just as good as those two. Obviously not there yet, but the other two had JUCO experience before they got here and it served them well. After this season we will have more firm understanding of what we have with these three.

I can't wait for JJJ to play up to that smirk that he has.  BTW, I'm not being critical, I really like his smirk, it gonna be great to see after he drains a three pointer that's a dagger in the other team.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
Next year, there will be a full house and then some as the hype for Henry is thru the roof, with the overall talent looking good, the hype for the whole team probably will need to simmered
just a little.  More importantly, will they be able to play together as a team.  Freshman star, I doubt the upper classman will like that.

From what I've heard about Henry's personality (and the personalities on others on MU), I don't think that his production is going to cause resentment.  I actually think that everyone will be stocked to have him on their side.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »
I'll say it again. They really, really need to give the women their own event. By the time the guys come out, the crowd is already restless. By the time the scrimmage is over, many have already left.

Maybe move the women to Saturday or Sunday afternoon (depending on the Packers schedule).

So then even less people will show?

I think that the point wasn't that not enough people show up, it's that not enough people stay for the end of the men's scrimmage..

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »
Let's keep in mind that this team is very young. Of the six underclassman only Deonte got what I would consider meaningful playing time at the D1 level. Luke played only one semester as a freshman, JJJ and Dawson played some but not that much. Even Steve I would consider a second semester soph as he missed or did not play most of last season.  The three seniors though they have the experience are not the most talented. The task that Wojo has is to get them to play disciplined ball as a team. They are going to make their mistakes this season lets hope they learn from them.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2014, 11:07:33 PM »
Did you think we made the elite 8 with DJO and Crowder? Or is that just a stupid error on your part?
I did not realize you were talking about the elite 8 team. However, the DJO/Crowder team was a better team than the elite 8 even though it only got to sweet 16. The elite 8 team should not of got past the first round. Of course last year Uconn should of not got past the first round.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2014, 11:14:25 PM »
More importantly, will they be able to play together as a team.  Freshman star, I doubt the upper classman will like that.
The team did not make the NCAA's last year and I do not see how it can make it this year. By next year the whole team will see Henry as their savior.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2014, 09:14:32 AM »
I think lots of players on this team have the talent to be as good, or better than Crowder and DJO. It's a matter of them putting it together, just like it was for those two players.

No one on this current team will be better than Crowder (Big East Player of the Year after just two years mind you), of that I'm sure.  Ellenson next year has the potential clearly, though.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2014, 09:24:10 AM »
From what I've heard about Henry's personality (and the personalities on others on MU), I don't think that his production is going to cause resentment.  I actually think that everyone will be stocked to have him on their side.

As long as players feel they are being treated fairly and those with the playing time deserve to out there, they aren't going to care how much Henry plays.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »
I know this is a little late but my friend who is a trainer told me Wojo was screaming at the guys after the scrimmage. Even called it a disgrace...
Honestly though, its good to know Wojo has some fire in him
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:09:45 PM by draino22 »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »
Duane should some explosive moves,not sure why so much hate.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2014, 01:22:36 PM »
I know this is a little late but my friend who is a trainer told me Wojo was screaming at the guys after the scrimmage. Even called it a disgrace...

He's 100% right. Scrimmage or not...it was a horrible display.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »

Heard that about Wojo too. Behind closed doors he really works the players in practice. A lot more fire than his calm outward demeanor. Not saying its a bad thing at all. I like the fact that he wants to get the best out of his players,

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2014, 01:34:07 PM »
Duane should some explosive moves,not sure why so much hate.

My biggest complaint with Duane was that he looked mentally weak and turned the ball over a TON. He just needs to not let things get to him. For example, he turned the ball over and instead of getting back on defense he grabbed Derrick and fouled him. He has so much potential but I have a feeling things like that arent going to fly with Wojo.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2014, 01:41:38 PM »
My biggest complaint with Duane was that he looked mentally weak and turned the ball over a TON. He just needs to not let things get to him. For example, he turned the ball over and instead of getting back on defense he grabbed Derrick and fouled him. He has so much potential but I have a feeling things like that arent going to fly with Wojo.
[/quote

To be fair I think Duane was set up to fail going up against Derrick who is a pretty good defender. But also, Derrick is a scrappy senior and he knows what Duane can do. That was Duane's first action in a long time so I think a lot of people just need to relax and believe in the coaches. I have no doubts that Duane will fix any issues he's currently having. He'll be fine just give him some time.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »
[/quote

To be fair I think Duane was set up to fail going up against Derrick who is a pretty good defender. But also, Derrick is a scrappy senior and he knows what Duane can do. That was Duane's first action in a long time so I think a lot of people just need to relax and believe in the coaches. I have no doubts that Duane will fix any issues he's currently having. He'll be fine just give him some time.
Yep

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »

Why is it good to know that Wojo can scream at the players?  There is nothing wrong with it, but you can get your point across in many different ways.  And a lot of screamers with "fire" have turned out to be poor coaches.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »
If Buzz were doing it, the Buzz haters would whine.   If Crean would have done it, the Crean haters would have whined.    This is still the honeymoon phase.   If the players respond well, then it is good that he did it.   If not......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »

Why is it good to know that Wojo can scream at the players?  There is nothing wrong with it, but you can get your point across in many different ways.  And a lot of screamers with "fire" have turned out to be poor coaches.

He could serve milk and cookies and give everyone a participation medal.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
Heard that about Wojo too. Behind closed doors he really works the players in practice. A lot more fire than his calm outward demeanor. Not saying its a bad thing at all. I like the fact that he wants to get the best out of his players,

Coach K is much the same way

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »
He could serve milk and cookies and give everyone a participation medal.

It only took just over a half hour for someone to miss the point completely.  Pretty solid for a sleepy Sunday afternoon.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
If Buzz were doing it, the Buzz haters would whine.   If Crean would have done it, the Crean haters would have whined.    This is still the honeymoon phase.   If the players respond well, then it is good that he did it.   If not......

Of course.  The point wasn't that screaming at someone is always ineffective.  The point is that screaming at players, and showing "fire," may or may not be a good thing.  It's only good if it works.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2014, 04:03:50 PM »

I'm glad to hear that he yelled at the team.  It says to me that Wojo is not going to be content to just "mail in" this season and play for next with his big recruiting class.  I didn't go to the scrimmage but from the reports its sounds like nobody played that well and some of the guys didn't seem that focused.  One  of the concerns I had with Wojo and his staff of "recent x-players" is that they might be too likely to fall into identifying with the players and going easy on them as a result.  To use a "Buzz-ism" this team is going to have no margin for error.  They have to bring it every game or they will lose to average teams and have no chance against good teams.  Need to set that expectation right away.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2014, 04:09:15 PM »

Of course.  The point wasn't that screaming at someone is always ineffective.  The point is that screaming at players, and showing "fire," may or may not be a good thing.  It's only good if it works.

I recently read a bit about coaching in soccer and the fallacy that's been perpetuated that screaming produces improved performance. The argument is that a lot of it has to with regression to the mean occurring all the time, whether it's athletic performance, office work, flying a plane, etc. So when an athlete performs poorly, the coach yells and the athlete does better the next time. When an athlete does well, the coach praises and the athlete does worse the next time, so it registers that being loud and mean all the time is the best approach. In reality, an athlete who performs below standard is more likely to do better next time anyway, and the opposite applies to a higher than average performance.

Yelling can still work, but there's more psychological subtlety to it than just spouting off whenever something doesn't go well.

feedback