[Today at 05:45:01 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Madness Thoughts  (Read 34999 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Madness Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
I'll say it again. They really, really need to give the women their own event. By the time the guys come out, the crowd is already restless. By the time the scrimmage is over, many have already left.

Maybe move the women to Saturday or Sunday afternoon (depending on the Packers schedule).
Giving the women their own event? There would 50 people there. With this setup the women are introduced and play to a packed AL. Only time during season that this will happen.  I don't see it changing anytime soon. Every year people complain about event, but the next year the AL is filled once again.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »
Giving the women their own event? There would 50 people there. With this setup the women are introduced and play to a packed AL. Only time during season that this will happen.  I don't see it changing anytime soon. Every year people complain about event, but the next year the AL is filled once again.

Next year, there will be a full house and then some as the hype for Henry is thru the roof, with the overall talent looking good, the hype for the whole team probably will need to simmered
just a little.  More importantly, will they be able to play together as a team.  Freshman star, I doubt the upper classman will like that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 10:06:48 AM »

100% correct

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
I included some. To be perfectly honest, there weren't many positives to take away besides Wally, Derrick, Juan and Luke. Wojo said it best at the end of the scrimmage "As you all can see we have a lot of work to do" This team is not very good but I am looking forward to watch them develop. It's hard to get mucb insight after only one scrimmage but they are gonna struggle.

Which one is it?

Is it hard to get much insight after one scrimmage? Or did you get so much insight from one scrimmage you've determined they're "gonna struggle"?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
I agree, I think that is telling.  He's been Mr. Positive in every way since taking the job, and then to be that abrupt is out of character for him.

Although, there was a lot of playing for the crowd I thought, lots of behind the back, no look passes, etc.  I said before these are designed for the fans benefit, but maybe he wanted the guys to play more serious basketball than they did.

I hope it was just playing for the crowd and having a fun time as the play was rather sloppy. But Wojo making that remark is disconcerting. My hope is he realizes that HE has a lot of work to do to get them to play as a team.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »
The event itself cannot be used to judge the potential of the team. Yes lots of work to do, and we all know that.

The event tho is Marquette MADNESS. And there is not a ton of Madness flying around. The planners need to orchestrate this event like a pump-up show. That's what it's supposed to be. We need more hoopla - more Madness. More production.  And maybe stagger the women and men's play.  Maybe intro the women's team and coaches, they do their dance, then intro the men's team and coaches and more integrate the two throughout the night

When the men's concludes now, as we know, many attendees have left.  Integrate the men's and women's and then have a Madness ending.  Maybe the shirts should be given at the end. Or half your ticket at the end gets you something else. And actually HAVE a end.  A video to concude the event or something. Lots of things can be done. Madness should be about . . . Madness - FAN-atics.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:43:19 AM by Daniel »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2014, 10:44:51 AM »
The event itself cannot be used to judge the potential of the team. Yes lots of work to do, and we all know that.

The event tho is Marquette MADNESS. And there is not a ton of Madness flying around. The planners need to orchestrate this event like a pump-up show. That's what it's supposed to be. We need more hoopla - more Madness. More production.  And maybe stagger the women and men's play.  Maybe intro the women's team and coaches, they do their dance, then intro the men's team and coaches and more integrate the two throughout the night

When the men's concludes now, as we know, many attendees have left.  Integrate the men's and women's and then have a Madness ending.  Maybe the shirts should be given at the end. Or half your ticket at the end gets you something else. And actually HAVE a end.  A video to concude the event or something. Lots of things can be done. Madness should be about . . . Madness - FAN-atics.

Normally I don't call out others spelling and grammar problems but I had no idea what you were trying to say in much of this post.  Still drunk from last night?
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 10:45:28 AM »
Which one is it?

Is it hard to get much insight after one scrimmage? Or did you get so much insight from one scrimmage you've determined they're "gonna struggle"?

Hard to judge individual performances after just one scrimmage but it's pretty obvious that as a team it's gonna be a rough year. I don't think it was as much as a showcase as people think. They were running sets but man was it sloppy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
Hard to judge individual performances after just one scrimmage but it's pretty obvious that as a team it's gonna be a rough year. I don't think it was as much as a showcase as people think. They were running sets but man was it sloppy.

I think you should be careful about projecting how the season is going to be based on a scrimmage, one week into the practice season, with a new coach.  Let's see how they look at Haunted Hoops.  Then Wisconsin Lutheran.  Then Tennessee-Martin five weeks from now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 10:53:38 AM »
In the words of our immortal QB..........RELAX.  ::)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 10:56:31 AM »

I think you should be careful about projecting how the season is going to be based on a scrimmage, one week into the practice season, with a new coach.  Let's see how they look at Haunted Hoops.  Then Wisconsin Lutheran.  Then Tennessee-Martin five weeks from now.

Id say we have till OSU even remember our elite 8 year we got bulldozed by Florida before we started jelling
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
Id say we have till OSU even remember our elite 8 year we got bulldozed by Florida before we started jelling

Well yeah exactly.  People have talked about how this team might take awhile to gel, and now people are freaking out over a pre-season scrimmage.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2014, 11:16:18 AM »
Sounds like MM could use a party planner. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »

Agreed, let's wait and see what the Learning Curve looks like for this team after a few game. (Both Players & Coaching Staff)

" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »
I'll say it again. They really, really need to give the women their own event. By the time the guys come out, the crowd is already restless. By the time the scrimmage is over, many have already left.

Maybe move the women to Saturday or Sunday afternoon (depending on the Packers schedule).

So then even less people will show?

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2014, 11:47:01 AM »
It is a scrimmage.    After a practice earlier in the day.      And remember, "a team is only as good as its returning players."

Tell that to Kentucky

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
Yes, but that team road the backs of two players. There is not anyone on this team that is near the talent of Crowder and DJO.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »
Yes, but that team road the backs of two players. There is not anyone on this team that is near the talent of Crowder and DJO.

I think lots of players on this team have the talent to be as good, or better than Crowder and DJO. It's a matter of them putting it together, just like it was for those two players.

dbwarriors

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »

Crowder & DJO were not on the Elite 8 team.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »

Agreed, my excitement was drained waiting for the guys. However, if the women get there own event nobody would go.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »
Pretty good analysis in my opinion except for Derrick. He played his usual decent defense, but was still bad on the offensive end. Air balled 2 layups and had another rejected. Also missed his only free throw and 3pt attempt. Did have a nice layup high off the glass that went in. I guess him actually attempting a shot beyond the arc is somewhat encouraging.

quit frankly, other than when Duane was attempting to just dribble and set the offense(IE waiting for a wing to get open)  Duane blew by Derrick at will.  At least 5 times I counted where Duane went right past Derrick.  Without question Duane is the most explosive driver in the guards group.  Derrick did a great job when all Duane was doing was trying to set the offense.  He hounded Duane very well and caused some turnovers.  I think this is where people say Duane is not a true PG.  But when Duane wanted to drive on Derrick he did so whenever  he wanted to.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »

Did you think we made the elite 8 with DJO and Crowder? Or is that just a stupid error on your part?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »

Amen Brother.  Amen...
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »
Until people start attending women's games, they will never remove the women from Marquette Madness.

The women's games here at TAMU are actually more well attended the men's. That's obviously because of the current state of the programs, but it shows that there are people out there who enjoy women's games.

I went to a few dozen women's games when I was a student. I recommend everyone try going to one, they are a lot of fun.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 03:03:20 PM »
quit frankly, other than when Duane was attempting to just dribble and set the offense(IE waiting for a wing to get open)  Duane blew by Derrick at will.  At least 5 times I counted where Duane went right past Derrick.  Without question Duane is the most explosive driver in the guards group.  Derrick did a great job when all Duane was doing was trying to set the offense.  He hounded Duane very well and caused some turnovers.  I think this is where people say Duane is not a true PG.  But when Duane wanted to drive on Derrick he did so whenever  he wanted to.

I agree. I think he played his typical defense, which I feel is very overrated for the most part. He is a solid defender, occasionally plays good/great defense for spurts, but nowhere near the lockdown defender some make him out to be. Due to him being the whipping boy of many, I feel posters trump up his contributions to make them more than what they really are.