[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Madness Thoughts  (Read 34986 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Madness Thoughts
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2014, 08:58:24 AM »
So, guys having fund at 9PM on Friday night after sitting around almost two hours watching the festivities, and having a full practice and classes earlier in the day, are going to get yelled at for missing an open shot as if it is no different than playing Georgetown in February?

This might be worse than Bobbly Knight right before he was shown the door.

Are you related to the gentleman in blue?

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Regardless of what the scrimmage looked like, what matters is what the team looks like at the beginning of March.  I think it will be a stretch to make the NIT, but if the team shows continual improvement and the talent we believe to be there starts to show itself, I'm fine with it.  This season is about getting reps and seeing if Wojo can coach and develop players.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2014, 09:03:14 AM »
If the team approached this scrimmage with a different attitude than Wojo wanted, he needs to let them know that.

Other than that, this is not a big deal at all.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »
"This might be worse than Bobbly Knight right before he was shown the door."

Triple facepalm....

I hope you are joking cause this might be the dumbest post in the history of MUScoop....

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2014, 09:38:36 AM »
If the team approached this scrimmage with a different attitude than Wojo wanted, he needs to let them know that.

Other than that, this is not a big deal at all.

The team attended Deonte's Mom's funeral and was ripped a new one shortly after for there underwhelming performance at the scrimmage. Wojo is certainly aware of the coal he is trying to turn into a diamond this year and they will be better than what was shown friday.....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
This might be worse than Bobbly Knight right before he was shown the door.

How many players did Wojo choke Friday night?

onepost

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2014, 11:06:02 AM »
This board has proved, at times, to be utterly insane but are we truly debating whether or not Wojo should've yelled at the guys after a scrimmage where anyone who attended noted that they played like crap and didn't care??

Jesus Christ, get a unnatural carnal knowledgeing grip.  He expected them to play well and they didn't take it seriously.  So he went off on them behind closed doors .  This is a complete non-issue.  When I was a manager with Buzz the year of DJO/Crowder this kinda stuff happened all the time.  Wojo expected better and they didn't perform, so he let them have it.  I loved hearing this.

And Heisenberg, if you are kidding about the Bobby Knight comparisons then this is a hell of a troll job.  If not.....I mean.....

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2014, 11:14:57 AM »
Regardless of what the scrimmage looked like, what matters is what the team looks like at the beginning of March.  I think it will be a stretch to make the NIT, but if the team shows continual improvement and the talent we believe to be there starts to show itself, I'm fine with it.  This season is about getting reps and seeing if Wojo can coach and develop players.

Did you mean to write a stretch to make the NCAA?  Perhaps you did mean NIT?  I'm aware there are some limitations on the team this year as it relates to experience and proven contributors - yet let's not forget there is a LOT of Top 100 talent on the roster.  I feel it could be choppy early, yet feel by mid January/early February the team will be rounding into form and should get itself on the bubble.  Don't think 20 wins is out of the question - and just basing that largely on the potential* (dangerous word of course) of Deonte, Luke, JJJ, Duane, John,  - and some improvement from Derrick, Juan and Steve...plus the addition of 5th year senior Carlino.

Just not sure a doom and gloom forecast is necessary - and I won't jump to that conclusion as I did in early December last year - with this year's team if it struggles out the gate.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
Those scrimmages are at the end of the season when everyone is on shape and understand their seriousness, as you are trying to impress a professional scout.

None of those scrimmages are done on a Friday night in front of hundreds of drunk fans, after a women's scrimmage, a dunk contest, and a cancelled three point competition with the coaches.

Look I agree they did not look that good but I also think it is indicative of nothing.  As I said on page one, anyone that is analyzing last Friday night as if it was a serious effort, and if the coaches are yelling at them as if they lost a real game, needs to get a grip.  Not those like me that are arguing that ANALyzing Friday was a waste of time Madtown.
BS...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2014, 11:39:40 AM »
Unfortunately, coaches have to yell at players sometimes. Hopefully, it is not every day. Does it help? Maybe with some players. However, Buzz could not motivate these players and I am not sure Wojo yelling at them is going to help either.  Buzz believed that you had to have tough players. Wojo was a tough player. Outside of Burton and Derrick Wilson are there any tough players on this team? Maybe Dawson. Talent means very little, if you cannot perform when the going gets tough.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »
Did you mean to write a stretch to make the NCAA?  Perhaps you did mean NIT?  I'm aware there are some limitations on the team this year as it relates to experience and proven contributors - yet let's not forget there is a LOT of Top 100 talent on the roster.  I feel it could be choppy early, yet feel by mid January/early February the team will be rounding into form and should get itself on the bubble.  Don't think 20 wins is out of the question - and just basing that largely on the potential* (dangerous word of course) of Deonte, Luke, JJJ, Duane, John,  - and some improvement from Derrick, Juan and Steve...plus the addition of 5th year senior Carlino.

Just not sure a doom and gloom forecast is necessary - and I won't jump to that conclusion as I did in early December last year - with this year's team if it struggles out the gate.

I absolutely meant NIT, I think this team likely finishes right around the same record as they had last season.  It will have a very different feel to it though.  I don't think it's doom or gloom, I think it's realistic.  The coach changed, but not a ton else did from last season to this season.  I completely agree there is a ton of talent on the team, but it is all very inexperienced.  There is going to be a steep curve in the non-con and then again in the conference season once Fischer is back and the team has to learn how to play with him.

We have 9 players on the roster, we are one injury away from being insanely short handed.  Other than Derrick Wilson, nobody has averaged more than 15 minutes a game and only three players have played more than 20 minutes in a single game (De Wilson, Carlino and Burton).  To expect an NCAA birth is quite the stretch.  I think the team will improve over the course of the season which is all I really want this season, but I think we'll be lucky to make the post season...of any kind.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
Unfortunately, coaches have to yell at players sometimes. Hopefully, it is not every day. Does it help? Maybe with some players. However, Buzz could not motivate these players and I am not sure Wojo yelling at them is going to help either.  Buzz believed that you had to have tough players. Wojo was a tough player. Outside of Burton and Derrick Wilson are there any tough players on this team? Maybe Dawson. Talent means very little, if you cannot perform when the going gets tough.

Exactly.  The kids should know that the tourney seeding committee looks to these scrimmages.  By essentially tanking it, the team has moved down a few lines and squarely into bubble territory.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
I absolutely meant NIT, I think this team likely finishes right around the same record as they had last season.  It will have a very different feel to it though.  I don't think it's doom or gloom, I think it's realistic.  The coach changed, but not a ton else did from last season to this season.  I completely agree there is a ton of talent on the team, but it is all very inexperienced.  There is going to be a steep curve in the non-con and then again in the conference season once Fischer is back and the team has to learn how to play with him.

We have 9 players on the roster, we are one injury away from being insanely short handed.  Other than Derrick Wilson, nobody has averaged more than 15 minutes a game and only three players have played more than 20 minutes in a single game (De Wilson, Carlino and Burton).  To expect an NCAA birth is quite the stretch.  I think the team will improve over the course of the season which is all I really want this season, but I think we'll be lucky to make the post season...of any kind.

May the odds be ever in our favor.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »
I can't imagine a coach getting bent by physical mistakes at this point in the season, but he sure can correct the mental ones.

If the effort and concentration weren't there, a coach is going to correct that behavior.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2014, 02:54:24 PM »
I can't imagine a coach getting bent by physical mistakes at this point in the season, but he sure can correct the mental ones.

If the effort and concentration weren't there, a coach is going to correct that behavior.

I also think fans expect to much at the very beginning. They remember how the team last year was playing in March, but they do not remember how that team was playing at MU madness. There is a world of difference between a team at the start of the season and the team at the end of the season. The most important thing is the rate of improvement. The best team in October that barely improves will not be a ranked team come tournament time. I think this team is starting at a lower than usual level for an MU team, but being young they may improve at a greater than usual rate. At least I hope so.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »

Carlino averaged more than 27 minutes per game all 3 seasons at BYU.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2014, 12:24:55 AM »
The team attended Deonte's Mom's funeral and was ripped a new one shortly after for there underwhelming performance at the scrimmage. Wojo is certainly aware of the coal he is trying to turn into a diamond this year and they will be better than what was shown friday.....

Deonte's Mom's funeral wasn't on Friday. It was Saturday

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2014, 12:41:57 AM »
How many players did Wojo choke Friday night?

My source said he choked 5 but that might include his own chicken. Still waitin for confirmation. Stay tuned.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2014, 02:23:12 AM »

I prefer him to use whatever tactics work.  Some good coaches yell...some don't.  Some bad coaches yell...some don't.

Yelling doesn't mean better coaching or that they care more.  That's all I'm saying.

To add to that some players respond and some don't. Different tactics work with different players and some respond to nothing. If this team, as a group, respond to any tactics we have some improvement, if not, think of next year.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2014, 08:59:16 AM »
Deonte's Mom's funeral wasn't on Friday. It was Saturday

I was talking about the next day...

Tums Festival

• All American
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

feedback