Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Madness Thoughts  (Read 35002 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Madness Thoughts
« on: October 11, 2014, 12:08:36 AM »
Hard to tell since it's only one scrimmage but here are my thoughts. Thought it would be handy just to have one communal thread.

Derrick Wilson: Looked good to he honest. He's gonna get minutes whether you like it or not. Improved his defense even more.

John Dawson: Got the least amount of run. Not going to be an impact player this year.

Matt Carlino: Takes a ton of shots. Really good at driving the lane. His shot was off today but it will fall. Gets inside his own head sometimes.

Luke Fischer: It's gonna be a rough go without him. Good interior defense with some nice post moves. Should be a solid player.

Duane Wilson: Looked pretty awful honestly. A ton of turnovers missed some shots. Settled down when he started driving the lane more.

Steve Taylor: Always takes one too many dribbles in the post. Didn't get fed often but needs to go straight up with it more.

Sandy Cohen: He's a freshman, don't know what else to say. Makes silly mistakes but played alright defense. Not much to talk about on the offensive end.

Wally Ellenson: He's. Lot better then people give him credit for. Good on the defensive end and honestly the best player of the night. Athletic as all hell.

Jajuan Johnson: Shots weren't falling but I liked the fact that he kept shooting. Should be okay with some run. Will be more of a difference maker next year.

Juan Anderson: Most impressed with Juan. Hit some shots and all over the place on the defensive end. WI'll get a ton of minutes at the stretch 4. See him starting until Luke gets back.

Deonte Burton: Didn't show much. Kind of disappointing. Good but so inconsistent. Sky's the limit if he can play more under control.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Madness Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:17:35 AM »
Deonte looked to me like he was out there to make highlight plays rather than just playing solid basketball.  Which I'm fine with, tonight was nothing more than a showcase for the fans.  

Duane Wilson did look bad, but he's going to have a lot of rust to shake off after sitting all last year.  He'll be fine, but it's going to take some time.

Juan looked like Juan of old to me.  Except he actually hit a three.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:23:42 AM by HutchwasClutch »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:22:32 AM »
Was next to Steve today on Wells.  He is a big dude. Got the bulk to hold his own in the middle.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 12:46:48 AM »
You can hardly blame Deonte if his thoughts were elsewhere tonight.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 01:18:20 AM »
Could you post some positives of the night too?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 01:22:50 AM »
Could you post some positives of the night too?

I included some. To be perfectly honest, there weren't many positives to take away besides Wally, Derrick, Juan and Luke. Wojo said it best at the end of the scrimmage "As you all can see we have a lot of work to do" This team is not very good but I am looking forward to watch them develop. It's hard to get mucb insight after only one scrimmage but they are gonna struggle.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 01:23:25 AM »
Hard to tell since it's only one scrimmage but here are my thoughts. Thought it would be handy just to have one communal thread.

Derrick Wilson: Looked good to he honest. He's gonna get minutes whether you like it or not. Improved his defense even more.

John Dawson: Got the least amount of run. Not going to be an impact player this year.

Matt Carlino: Takes a ton of shots. Really good at driving the lane. His shot was off today but it will fall. Gets inside his own head sometimes.

Luke Fischer: It's gonna be a rough go without him. Good interior defense with some nice post moves. Should be a solid player.

Duane Wilson: Looked pretty awful honestly. A ton of turnovers missed some shots. Settled down when he started driving the lane more.

Steve Taylor: Always takes one too many dribbles in the post. Didn't get fed often but needs to go straight up with it more.

Sandy Cohen: He's a freshman, don't know what else to say. Makes silly mistakes but played alright defense. Not much to talk about on the offensive end.

Wally Ellenson: He's. Lot better then people give him credit for. Good on the defensive end and honestly the best player of the night. Athletic as all hell.

Jajuan Johnson: Shots weren't falling but I liked the fact that he kept shooting. Should be okay with some run. Will be more of a difference maker next year.

Juan Anderson: Most impressed with Juan. Hit some shots and all over the place on the defensive end. WI'll get a ton of minutes at the stretch 4. See him starting until Luke gets back.

Deonte Burton: Didn't show much. Kind of disappointing. Good but so inconsistent. Sky's the limit if he can play more under control.

Pretty good analysis in my opinion except for Derrick. He played his usual decent defense, but was still bad on the offensive end. Air balled 2 layups and had another rejected. Also missed his only free throw and 3pt attempt. Did have a nice layup high off the glass that went in. I guess him actually attempting a shot beyond the arc is somewhat encouraging.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 03:31:27 AM »
I included some. To be perfectly honest, there weren't many positives to take away besides Wally, Derrick, Juan and Luke. Wojo said it best at the end of the scrimmage "As you all can see we have a lot of work to do" This team is not very good but I am looking forward to watch them develop. It's hard to get mucb insight after only one scrimmage but they are gonna struggle.

I think this is going to be a tough year for those expecting 19 or 20 wins. The sophs need to improve and help is on the way in 2015.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 06:46:52 AM »
We talking bout a scrimmage....
Not a game..
But a Scrimmage...

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 06:58:14 AM »
We talking bout a scrimmage....
Not a game..
But a Scrimmage...

A scrimmage on our practice court!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 07:13:11 AM »
A scrimmage on our practice court!

+1

This analysis is a waste of time.  I saw a bunch of kids out there screwing around and having fun and we're analyzing it is if were getting ready to go to the NCAA tournament.

Here's all the analysis you need to know ... everybody played and nobody's hurt ... next

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »
+1

This analysis is a waste of time.  I saw a bunch of kids out there screwing around and having fun and we're analyzing it is if were getting ready to go to the NCAA tournament.

Here's all the analysis you need to know ... everybody played and nobody's hurt ... next

Exactly.  This is dumb.  They've been in real practice for about a week and don't play their first real game in over a month.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 07:21:20 AM »
Thanks for being honest. Honestly.

Hard to take anything away from the scrimmage.
STJR is 15 lbs heavier it appears.
Matt Carlino hasn't seen a shot that he doesn't like.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 07:26:24 AM »
I was most impressed with Carlino and Fisher.  Duane was brutal... Decision making was terrible.  On the positive side, he gets in the lane at will.  Agree that Carlino is our best player.  JJJs shot doesn't look much different.  Still an awkward release.  He needs to focus on slashing and pull-ups. Another positive is Cohen.  Very fluid. Oozes potential.

First scrimmage in a while where my initial impression was: we are not good... Lots of work to do.  Hopefully come March we are vastly improved.
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 07:34:04 AM »
It is a scrimmage.    After a practice earlier in the day.      And remember, "a team is only as good as its returning players."
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 07:49:45 AM »
>>Coaches Kieger and Merritt are the only two real dancers in all of MUBB.
>>Only the Southpaws can throw it down with a vengeance.
>>MUAD didn't know what every freshmen learned during orientation:  If you are going to have smoke indoors, cover the smoke detectors.
>>MU Men BB way ahead on defense. MU Women BB way ahead on offense.
>>Have heard Coach Wojo's welcome speech numerous times...I may have it memorized.  He is on the reach times frequency media schedule with that message.
>>This event is a social event for the students.  Too early after only a couple of days of practices to tell anything of judgment.  Newcomers all look like they have special talents.
>>Big Luke will make a difference. Will be a rough but fun ride preseason.
>>Event could use some ATVs.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 07:51:59 AM »
i get that it was only a scrimmage, but the entire night was pretty poor, even by midnight madness standards.  started with the smoke alarms going off when wojo was giving his opening remarks, dunk contest was decent enough and nice that parker came out for wojo...then 20 minutes for a rim to be fixed.  finally, the boys scrimmage...and no coaches vs. players 3pt shootout because wojo came out and thanked those who were still there when the scrimmage was over (about 1/3 of the crowd) and was honest when he said, "as you can see we have a lot to work on."  this might be a year to play slow, take good shots, and defend the hell out of the ball.  obviously you look at this team and wonder about points and interior defense...while it was only midnight madness...i'm more worried now than when i walked into the al at 7pm yesterday.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 07:53:32 AM »
At the end of the scrimage Wojo said "As you can see we have a lot of work to do" and then walked off the court. Left me with the impression that he was truly disappointed. With the smoke alarm going off, the broken basket and the cancelled three point shooting contest this had to be the worse madness ever. However, it might of been the best slam dunk contest at midnight madness. I would place it 2nd behind Matthews dunking over his mother.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:55:50 AM by bilsu »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »
At the end of the scrimage Wojo said "As you can see we have a lot of work to do" and then walked off the court. Left me with the impression that he was truly disappointed.

I agree, I think that is telling.  He's been Mr. Positive in every way since taking the job, and then to be that abrupt is out of character for him.

Although, there was a lot of playing for the crowd I thought, lots of behind the back, no look passes, etc.  I said before these are designed for the fans benefit, but maybe he wanted the guys to play more serious basketball than they did.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 08:05:40 AM »
I'll say it again. They really, really need to give the women their own event. By the time the guys come out, the crowd is already restless. By the time the scrimmage is over, many have already left.

Maybe move the women to Saturday or Sunday afternoon (depending on the Packers schedule).

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 08:08:47 AM »
The women's scrimage was better than the men's scrimage.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 08:29:36 AM »
The women's scrimage was better than the men's scrimage.

Maybe. But that's not why the fans were there.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 08:40:21 AM »
It is a scrimmage.    After a practice earlier in the day.      And remember, "a team is only as good as its returning players."

Common thinking is that that won't be the case in 2015-16. Hopefully not at least.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
Duane Wilson while making mistakes I think has what a good penetrating point guard should be.  That is to draw the defenders.  Sandy Cohen looked good for a freshmen.  Carlino will be a major contributor.  Juan I believe will be much improved with confidence.  Having a guard like Carlino may give Juan more confidence.  Deonte will be a critical foundation to this team regardless of what he did in the scrimmage.  Surprised did not see Dawson more on the court especially since I do not see a true shooting guard on the team.  Dawson seems like that would be a more natural position for him.  Ellenson could be a great spark for the team.  Someone who can swat balls out of the air.  Unfortunate he will not be able to play this year.  Will be interesting to see who the starters will be.  Taylor is all muscle.  He will need it against the bigs he will be facing.

Deonte, Carlino, Taylor are my definite starters and major minute getters.  The other two positions I think are up for grabs.  I think for a team to win you always need three scorers on the court at once.  When Marquette had DJ, Jerel, Wesley and Lazar you could always have three of the four on the court.  When Marquette had JFB, Jae, Vander, DJO, Junior, Davante, etc. again you could always have three scorers on the court.  Deonte and Carlino are definitely scorers.  Where will Marquette get other additional points?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:50:04 AM by NCMUFan »

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 08:52:36 AM »
I agree with separating the women's madness to a different day.  I don't go anymore because it is too drawn out.  If I could see the dunk contest, a three point contest and a pumped up scrimmage I would be grateful. Hour and a half and everyone has their fill.