[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by willie warrior
[Today at 12:45:02 PM]

MU Gear by Hards Alumni
[Today at 12:18:52 PM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ellenson - The Real Deal  (Read 19552 times)

ecompt

• All American
Re: Ellenson - The Real Deal
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
At the in laws tonight. My SIL quipped that HE must not have had the grades for Madison. My BIL used to be the prez of UW alumni assoc. He's a great guy by the way.  SIL is ok too.

Typical badger drool.

All you had to say was, "Ron Dayne." Four years at Buckyland and he could barely read the Wonderlic test. Scored a 4 out of 50.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »
I said "my, aren't we full of ourselves".

I think the response should be why doesn't UW graduate it's basketball players if they are such great students coming out of high school.  I know they will then say that UW is just such a tough academic institution of higher learning. But just point out the majors of the basketball team and football team and again ask why they graduate such a low percentage of these academic studs.  Does Bo make them less smart with his coaching style given their great academic backgrounds coming in...?

See: http://stanford.scout.com/story/1273612-the-bootleg-s-2013-graduation-rate-analysis

Sorry, on the link scroll down to "Bottom 10 Basketball Grad Rates: Major Programs" and "Biggest Difference in Grad Rates Between Basketball Players and All Students" a little over half way down after the football stuff.  For the Harvard of the Midwest that only takes academic studs, it is a little embarrassing.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:48:55 PM by GOO ELLENSON »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
At the in laws tonight. My SIL quipped that HE must not have had the grades for Madison. My BIL used to be the prez of UW alumni assoc. He's a great guy by the way.  SIL is ok too.

Typical badger drool.

You should ask then why Bo was still following him around this summer.  Presumably his grades hadn't changed from then until now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »
I think the response should be why doesn't UW graduate it's basketball players if they are such great students coming out of high school.  I know they will then say that UW is just such a tough academic institution of higher learning. But just point out the majors of the basketball team and football team and again ask why they graduate such a low percentage of these academic studs.  Does Bo make them less smart with his coaching style given their great academic backgrounds coming in...?

See: http://stanford.scout.com/story/1273612-the-bootleg-s-2013-graduation-rate-analysis

Sorry, on the link scroll down to "Bottom 10 Basketball Grad Rates: Major Programs" and "Biggest Difference in Grad Rates Between Basketball Players and All Students" a little over half way down after the football stuff.  For the Harvard of the Midwest that only takes academic studs, it is a little embarrassing.

How did they get the "Harvard of the Midwest" reputation? I mean in the Midwest there's at least Michigan, Notre dame, university of Chicago and northwestern that are better.  Maybe UofI as well?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GOO

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 01:26:01 PM »
How did they get the "Harvard of the Midwest" reputation? I mean in the Midwest there's at least Michigan, Notre dame, university of Chicago and northwestern that are better.  Maybe UofI as well?

I don't think they actually have that reputation.  They would like to, but they do not have that reputation.  There are at least a dozen if not more schools just in the surrounding states that have better lay to that claim.   

I think it was something that some UW alumni self proclaimed and is now used as a joke by others.  I don't know of anyone that thinks they are the Harvard of the Midwest other than a few older alumni (I am an alum of UW Madison and Marquette, so I have many UW friends who are a bit older).  I think the younger generations look at US News and realize they are not the Harvard of the Midwest.  It is something I hear amongst older alums more who are a bit out of touch.  But these same older alums tend to often be down on the football team as bringing down the schools reputation (I think they want something more like Northwestern or at least those from the '80's just used the excuse that UW can't have a competitive team because they are the... wait for it... Harvard of the Midwest). 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
How did they get the "Harvard of the Midwest" reputation? I mean in the Midwest there's at least Michigan, Notre dame, university of Chicago and northwestern that are better.  Maybe UofI as well?

1.  Fabulous graduate school.  One of the best in the world.  
2.  Lack of a second similar university in the state that leads people to temper their enthusiasm.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »

2.  Lack of a second similar university in the state that leads people to temper their enthusiasm.

Oh I don't doubt that they're a fantastic school and better than us in about everything except two programs (though not as much as they like to act) but I was just pointing out Harvard of the Midwest seemed like a stretch.  But I definitely get point no 2
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
I don't think they actually have that reputation.  They would like to, but they do not have that reputation.  There are at least a dozen if not more schools just in the surrounding states that have better lay to that claim.   

I think it was something that some UW alumni self proclaimed and is now used as a joke by others.  I don't know of anyone that thinks they are the Harvard of the Midwest other than a few older alumni (I am an alum of UW Madison and Marquette, so I have many UW friends who are a bit older).  I think the younger generations look at US News and realize they are not the Harvard of the Midwest.  It is something I hear amongst older alums more who are a bit out of touch.  But these same older alums tend to often be down on the football team as bringing down the schools reputation (I think they want something more like Northwestern or at least those from the '80's just used the excuse that UW can't have a competitive team because they are the... wait for it... Harvard of the Midwest). 
this. Michigan, UofC, Northwestern, Notre Lame. UW isn't even in the same category of exclusivity or academic tradition.

Grew up in Michigan and found it so weird to encounter UW alumna who assumed everyone considers Madison the center of the academic universe.

"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 01:38:53 PM »

which grad school is so fabulous
Off the top of my head, the below schools are ahead of UW..

Business - UC, Northwestern, Michigan way ahead
Medical - Michigan, Northwestern ahead
Engineering - maybe? But not far ahead of Michigan I don't believe
Law - Northwestern & Michigan certainly well ahead

What's left?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:43:23 PM by Ellenson Superlative »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 01:44:38 PM »

What's left?

Physical therapy - Marquette :)
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »

What's left?

All sorts of PhD programs in agriculture, natural sciences, and the humanities.

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »
I am not sure about the grades thing.  However, if his brother was not at Marquette, do you think Henry goes there?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »
I am not sure about the grades thing.  However, if his brother was not at Marquette, do you think Henry goes there?

Probably not.  And your point?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 01:53:30 PM »
I am not sure about the grades thing.  However, if his brother was not at Marquette, do you think Henry goes there?

I think we are somewhat in consideration with Wojo building a good relationship (more than we were with buzz) but it comes down to another heartbreak for MU losing a top recruit.  But after seeing Wally at madness he is in the very least a fantastic practice player and more deserving of a scholarship than many of the other players I've seen come through here.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 01:57:57 PM »
Exactly.  I don't really see the problem with taking a flyer on an athletic wing player whose development *may* have been hampered by injury, and whose brother is one of the top players in the country in hopes that he comes here.

At worst you have landed a role player who is a great athlete and fills out the end of the bench.

At best you have a diamond in the rough AND his top 10 rated brother.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »
Hey sometimes when you go to the Bar your friend has to the girl who's alright looking just so you can get the hot chick......

Take one for the team.....

Exactly.  I don't really see the problem with taking a flyer on an athletic wing player whose development *may* have been hampered by injury, and whose brother is one of the top players in the country in hopes that he comes here.

At worst you have landed a role player who is a great athlete and fills out the end of the bench.

At best you have a diamond in the rough AND his top 10 rated brother.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »

What's left?

Minnesota is ahead in engineering. I think Michigan and Illinois might be as well.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »

They didn't, at least not anywhere outside of Madison.  But it's probably the Harvard of Madison.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »

All sorts of PhD programs in agriculture, natural sciences, and the humanities.
all of them ahead of the other universities in the Midwest?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »
all of them ahead of the other universities in the Midwest?

I don't know.  I never made that claim.

Look, I am certainly not saying that they are "the Harvard of the Midwest."  I am simply saying that their graduate school drives their reputation more than their undergraduate school does.  It is collectively one of the best graduate schools in the world.  For instance, here are some rankings based on the research produced and similar factors.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html 

#21 in the world.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:49:03 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »
MUSOD>UW Dental School---aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »

I don't know.  I never made that claim.

Look, I am certainly not saying that they are "the Harvard of the Midwest."  I am simply saying that their graduate school drives their reputation more than their undergraduate school does.  It is collectively one of the best graduate schools in the world.  For instance, here are some rankings based on the research produced and similar factors.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html 

#21 in the world.
got it - not trying to argue really... Just interesting how ridiculous that claim is... "Harvard of the Midwest"

JD

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2014, 03:10:04 PM »
JD?

But i'm not tired.

And yes, very different guy, right hoss?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:11:38 PM by JD »
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »

What's left?
UW Applied Security Analysis (MBA) and Real Estate (undergrad) are very well respected.  MU has an undergrad Applied Investment Management program.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2014, 08:12:11 PM »
Do they really believe that or just getting under your skin?

She made the comment with out thinking.  After I gave her grief, her husband was taken aback a little.