[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's going through Buzz and Crean's minds right now?  (Read 38636 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
What's going through Buzz and Crean's minds right now?
« on: October 09, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
They've both failed to attract a recruit like this to our university and Buzz when so far to say he ran the numbers and saw that it wouldn't be possible for us to land a recruit like henry and be successful.  Meanwhile Wojo comes in and knocks it out of the park.  Thoughts on what's going through their minds?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
Re: What's going through Buzz and Crean's minds right now?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 01:13:54 PM »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 01:15:41 PM »
They've both failed to attract a recruit like this to our university and Buzz when so far to say he ran the numbers and saw that it wouldn't be possible for us to land a recruit like henry and be successful.  Meanwhile Wojo comes in and knocks it out of the park.  Thoughts on what's going through their minds?

Did he really say that? If so, wow. Run those #'s on VA Tech, see what they say.

Regarding their thoughts, I'm sure they recognize their inferiority, and that they both held MU back vs. their perception that it was the other way around.

We're entering a new golden age at MU. Neither of them will sniff our success over the next 5 years. Of that I am sure.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 01:18:05 PM »
I'm guessing Crean doesn't probably pat much attention to MU anymore.  Buzz is probably texting Goodman and Parrish bithcing about them screwing with his narrative.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:19:10 PM »
Did he really say that? If so, wow. Run those #'s on VA Tech, see what they say.

Regarding their thoughts, I'm sure they recognize their inferiority, and that they both held MU back vs. their perception that it was the other way around.

We're entering a new golden age at MU. Neither of them will sniff our success over the next 5 years. Of that I am sure.

Ya I think it was on a Gary Parrish article that he explained that in a basketball only league at a catholic school he was less likely to attract top talent or sustain/improve upon the success he'd already achieved.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GOO

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »

Yep, Crean saw MU as limiting him from the next step, when in fact it was the other way around.  But he made a lot of money.  Buzz, had to get out of town the door was opened for him and he was getting pushed.  He made a good move at the right time for himself financially, getting guaranteed money for the better half of a decade.  I think Buzz knew his limits, and the story he has been spinning is just that, spin. And he knows it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:24:24 PM »
Both Crean & Buzz ate their current school's lunch at the negotiating table. They are fine.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »
If I recall the quote was more along the lines of sustained success.  Buzz's (apparent) viewpoint was that continuing the Sweet 16s and Elite 8 appearances was not sustainable at a Catholic school in a new basketball-only league, where recruiting would ultimately suffer.  Personally, I think that was his way of justifying leaving such a great situation for more money, but that's just me.

Crean's departure was never about more money or a new challenge.  It was having the opportunity to coach at one of a few blue bloods in the country.

Call me an optimist, but I feel that (when both saw Henry's announcement) both felt happy and glad for the school - seeing their former team experience success and continue on with a tradition they were a part of.  Today's events should only reinforce was has been previously mentioned by us numerous times before: Marquette is a basketball program, built not by one coach, or two, or three - but rather by a collection of really unique and committed individuals that aim to compete at the highest levels of college basketball.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 01:26:13 PM »

Parrish excerpts:

Quote from: Gary Parrish
He studied how many programs succeed at a high level without some sort of ESPN contract. He estimated whether it was reasonable to expect the next six years at Marquette would duplicate or exceed the previous six. He researched every coach who has been at a high-major program for at least eight seasons to the point where he learned that staying in the same place too long in this era -- especially when you'll be inheriting a new athletic director soon, like he would've been at Marquette -- proves to be a mistake more often than not for most men.

Williams took an honest look at his career from every angle.

He was consumed with collecting the data that led to his decision to leave Marquette.

And, honestly, it wasn't as hard of a decision as most apparently think.

. He instead identified it as the bar set, and then he assembled "facts and data" in an attempt to determine whether it was reasonable to expect to maintain that level of success in a less-attractive Big East while playing league games off of ESPN and on Fox Sports 1. He concluded that it probably wasn't.

Couldn't find a direct comment about top recruits.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
Fook 'em both
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 01:27:38 PM »
Ya I think it was on a Gary Parrish article that he explained that in a basketball only league at a catholic school he was less likely to attract top talent or sustain/improve upon the success he'd already achieved.

Buzz defending his panic and haste as sound analysis is hilarious.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 01:29:04 PM »
Crean did a lot of good for MU. So did Williams. However, it was time for both to move on...and I'm glad they did.

I've had an excellent feeling about Wojo since Day One. And he's done nothing to change that. In fact, he's now exceeding my expectations. Reeling in Ellenson is HUGE.

I love where MU is heading. They have some great, talented people in place. School prez, AD, and hoops coach.

MUfan12

• All American

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
Call me an optimist, but I feel that (when both saw Henry's announcement) both felt happy and glad for the school - seeing their former team experience success and continue on with a tradition they were a part of.  Today's events should only reinforce was has been previously mentioned by us numerous times before: Marquette is a basketball program, built not by one coach, or two, or three - but rather by a collection of really unique and committed individuals that aim to compete at the highest levels of college basketball.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm so incredibly happy with, excited about and proud of Marquette right now!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 01:39:23 PM »
Crean is too worried about his own job to worry about HEllenson.   Buzz doesn't have it on his minute-to-minute schedule to think about MU, so he probably hasn't.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 01:42:30 PM »
In hindsight I kind of like Buzz more now. We've got a better coach because of him. Everything that had occurred over the last year has been pretty much an ideal scenario. I hope for the best for him but I will not miss him at all.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
In hindsight I kind of like Buzz more now. We've got a better coach because of him. Everything that had occurred over the last year has been pretty much an ideal scenario. I hope for the best for him but I will not miss him at all.

That's how I felt about Crean when we got Buzz, and its how I feel about Buzz now with Wojo.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »
Over under on the amount of snide tweets Buzz has gotten today mentioning how the Big East "can't recruit"

Johnny B

• All American

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »
I hope they both felt some pride in their contribution in building MU to the point where we regularly compete for commits like HE.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »
Over under on the amount of snide tweets Buzz has gotten today mentioning how the Big East "can't recruit"

Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

Well based on some of my friends I know that number is at least currently over 3 at the moment.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 02:47:19 PM »
Who cares?  Obviously a big day for MU and I'm happy.  But Wojo hasn't coached one minute in a game.  I trust the right decision was made and I'm curious to see how this team plays.  I just listened to Zach Lowe's podcast with Fran Fraschilla about USA Basketball and the FIBA World Cup.  Franschilla commented that he believes Coach K is a very good coach, but mediocre with X and O's.  That was the first time I had heard that, and was wondering if anybody else felt the same way.  Just because Wojo came from Duke, doesn't equate immediate game management skills.  I hope he's better than Coach K.

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 02:47:42 PM »
Marquette isn't on Buzz's or Crean's radars right now.  Nor should it be.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 02:52:09 PM »
That's a really loaded question...i know alot of people dont like Buzz right about now but I think he is prolly 100% focused on getting VT better and that energizes him.  I am sure he wants nothing but the best for him, he is a good guy and knows MU gave him one hell of an opportunity and will always be greatful for that. 

Crean?  does anyone really know what the fook goes on in that guys head or would anyone want to know?  the guy is bat crap crazy.

Going back to my original point it is a loaded question with two bat crap crazy coaches, Buzz in a good way, Crean not so much

feedback