[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 NHL Thread  (Read 52008 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2014-15 NHL Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2015, 11:16:41 AM »
League would love Hawks-Rangers.

Biggest concern with the Hawks as they are getting the absolute sh!t kicked out of them every single period; only 4 deep at defense, absorbing all those hits and only one day of rest is brutal.

'Hawks/Rangers is probably the best possible matchup the league could have in any given year. Two of the three biggest media markets, both Original Six teams. It would be a commissioner's dream come true.

I am also worried about the 'Hawks defense. Not having a true third pairing Q can rely on is just brutal. Anaheim is very good and as the series goes on, I think their offense will get plenty of chances. If the 'Hawks can take both in Chicago, they'll have a chance at ending it in 5 or 6. But if it's a 7-game series, I just can't see the defense having enough gas in the tank to win that one on the road.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2015, 12:44:34 PM »
Hawks in 6, mostly because I don't want to deal with a game 7 on the road, especially after last year. 

Kane's been quiet the first two games - he's due. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »
unnatural carnal knowledge.

Kane almost had it there at the end.

Depth and hitting are killing the Hawks.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2015, 09:22:32 PM »
Rangers fan here checking in and even though we just went up 4-1 in game 3 the Lightning scare the _ _ _ _ out of me.  The only thing they have going against them is lack of experience.  EVERYTHING is crisp, fast, and relentless.  The Rangers are only going to tie this up because they are more patient and opportunistic (well, plus Lundqvist). 

I'm not sure how much Eastern Conference action y'all have seen but the Lightning seem much more equipped to handle a Western style of play than the Rangers. 

I hope the Rangers advance and i think you should too.  Anyone checking out the Eastern finals?

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
Rangers fan here checking in and even though we just went up 4-1 in game 3 the Lightning scare the _ _ _ _ out of me.  The only thing they have going against them is lack of experience.  EVERYTHING is crisp, fast, and relentless.  The Rangers are only going to tie this up because they are more patient and opportunistic (well, plus Lundqvist).  

I'm not sure how much Eastern Conference action y'all have seen but the Lightning seem much more equipped to handle a Western style of play than the Rangers.  

I hope the Rangers advance and i think you should too.  Anyone checking out the Eastern finals?

I now agree with you. I've been watching the East all along, and I was most concerned with the Rangers because of Lundquist; but, damn, those triplets, the speed and the size of TB (proved that HL bleeds!)...I'd rather the Hawks face the Rangers.  But first the Ducks...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2015, 11:19:51 PM »
Always been a big Bolts and Edmonton (Yea, I know) fan after the hawks. I've always been a fan of how they played.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2015, 08:45:15 AM »
Wow.  5 goals in 5 minutes. From 2 up to 1 down in 37 seconds.  Great move by Q to use the timeout after the first two goals, but they scored 15 seconds later anyway.  Timonen brutal-he just has nothing left.  Open looks missed by both teams in OT, posts and cross bars, great saves.  And, yes, a Hawks win.  Heard last night that this team (Toews and Kane version) has never lost in playoff OT-they showed a montage of all the playoff OT game winnners at the UC between the end of the game and the 1st OT period-great stuff.

Too bad these games aren't televised in Europe.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »
It's been great Lloyd.  The Ducks are one helluva hockey club and the Hawks will be fortunate to advance.  I must say that I was losing faith when they gave up 3 goals in 37 seconds.  The Ducks make very few mistakes and always seem to clog the shooting lanes.  But as I said to my son, when Blackhawk season ends it's a long ways until football.  (Not a Cubs fan at all and my Brewers aren't worth much emotional investment right now.)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »
Heard last night that this team (Toews and Kane version) has never lost in playoff OT-they showed a montage of all the playoff OT game winnners at the UC between the end of the game and the 1st OT period-great stuff.

I'm certain that's not correct. the game 7 loss to the Kings last year Immediqtely comes to mind. My memory is admittedly hazy, but that is the disappointing thud I remember from last season.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2015, 09:00:17 AM »
It's been great Lloyd.  The Ducks are one helluva hockey club and the Hawks will be fortunate to advance.  I must say that I was losing faith when they gave up 3 goals in 37 seconds.  The Ducks make very few mistakes and always seem to clog the shooting lanes.  But as I said to my son, when Blackhawk season ends it's a long ways until football.  (Not a Cubs fan at all and my Brewers aren't worth much emotional investment right now.)

It's funny because right before the three goals they were looking so good. Had taped the game and avoided the score, and was ready to start fast forwarding when they went up 3-1, but holy cow. In the end I still think the Hawks will win because they're the better team, but Anaheim is good and a real tough matchup.

I continue to evangelize the merits of the NHL playoffs to folks who aren't watching - best in all sports, in my opinion. That was a great game last night. Even if you aren't much of a hockey fan, these games are incredible to watch.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2015, 09:06:20 AM »
It's funny because right before the three goals they were looking so good. Had taped the game and avoided the score, and was ready to start fast forwarding when they went up 3-1, but holy cow. In the end I still think the Hawks will win because they're the better team, but Anaheim is good and a real tough matchup.

I continue to evangelize the merits of the NHL playoffs to folks who aren't watching - best in all sports, in my opinion. That was a great game last night. Even if you aren't much of a hockey fan, these games are incredible to watch.

Totally agree.  As my son said, one has to watch intently as 'threats' come frequently even though scoring doesn't.  When you can start to recognize the play unfold off a horrible turnover or a great lead pass from your defenseman you can really appreciate the game.  Or how 'bout a sequence when your guys simply can't get it out of the zone and you know their legs on that shift are going and unless they clear without icing.....

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »
I'm certain that's not correct. the game 7 loss to the Kings last year Immediqtely comes to mind. My memory is admittedly hazy, but that is the disappointing thud I remember from last season.

Good lord, you're right of course.  We go to one playoff game a year, and that was our game.  The mind's abiity to compartmentalize is a wonder.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »

I have the same issue with the baseball season, as my alllegiance is with the Sox, and it ain't  their year.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »
Totally agree.  As my son said, one has to watch intently as 'threats' come frequently even though scoring doesn't.  When you can start to recognize the play unfold off a horrible turnover or a great lead pass from your defenseman you can really appreciate the game.  Or how 'bout a sequence when your guys simply can't get it out of the zone and you know their legs on that shift are going and unless they clear without icing.....

Yes, or the amazing quick turn around from a 3 on 2 one way, thwarted, leading to a break out the other way, and it goes on like that for 3 or 4 rushes

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2015, 11:09:51 PM »
Hawks overtime juice finally runs out. Toews with an amazing goal to send it to overtime, yet the game ends in defeat. Feels like Vancouver 2011.

Really felt tonight would decide the series. Chicago may get game 6, but winning game 7 in Anaheim seems near impossible. Good game and it's been an amazing series. Oh well, here's hoping the Hawks get game 6 and at least make the Ducks earn it.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2015, 07:30:32 AM »
Agreed that it feels that way.  Can never give up on this team, but half expecting a blow-out after that comeback and then rough loss.  And if Q isn't confident enough in any defender other than Timo, he should convert a forward to defense for the balance of the playoffs.  Could not be worse than Timo.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2015, 11:50:34 AM »
Timo is awful. And Com wasn't much better. Was it desperation by Q in playing Kane and toews together?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2015, 11:53:19 AM »
Timo is awful. And Com wasn't much better. Was it desperation by Q in playing Kane and toews together?

I think desperation is an overstatement.  They obviously have played together often, and I think he was looking for a combination that would change things up.  Basketball coaches do the same thing by changing rotations over the course of a seven game series when teams catch on to what they are doing. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »

I think desperation is an overstatement.

I disagree. Q knew a win there was needed, and that's when he puts them together again. Otherwise, the Ducks can aim for that line defensively.

Q pissed Game 3 away by sitting Teuvo and to a lesser extent Vermette, that will be what sticks out if they lose this series IMO.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
I disagree. Q knew a win there was needed, and that's when he puts them together again. Otherwise, the Ducks can aim for that line defensively.

I guess we disagree on the definition of "desperation" then.  Desperation to me means an act of last resort, oftentimes reckless. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »
Agreed that it feels that way.  Can never give up on this team, but half expecting a blow-out after that comeback and then rough loss.  And if Q isn't confident enough in any defender other than Timo, he should convert a forward to defense for the balance of the playoffs.  Could not be worse than Timo.

Yeah...the way they came back, just felt like they had to win that one. This Anaheim team is very good, and in many ways they are the 'Hawks kryptonite. Big and physical, just grind you down. Lots of scoring options and depth, which is murder on a four-man defense.

I realize not everyone can be Duncan Keith, but they need a defense that goes 6 deep. Oduya is likely gone after this year, Kimo is ancient and clearly past his prime, and both Cumiskey and (when healthy) Roszival have their own significant issues. No matter what happens this year, it's Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson next year, and as good as they are, that's not enough. Hope Bowman has a trick or two up his sleeve.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2015, 12:30:57 PM »

I guess we disagree on the definition of "desperation" then.  Desperation to me means an act of last resort, oftentimes reckless. 

Fair enough.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2015, 01:19:39 PM »
. This Anaheim team is very good, and in many ways they are the 'Hawks kryptonite. Big and physical and dirty, just grind you down.

FTFY

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2015, 01:46:27 PM »
FTFY

I don't know...I've heard that a lot, but I think it's just that they play that style. The Hawks are a finesse team. They don't take a lot of penalties, they don't physically punish you, so when they play a team that does push you around, it looks dirty by comparison.

Were any Chicago fans complaining when Hossa held the guy's stick in Game 4 for 3 seconds that gave the 'Hawks enough time for Vermette to score? There will always be some missed calls, but this series isn't down to the refs. It's just two disparate playing styles and when a team plays physical, the Hawks will always look like they're getting abused because they really don't retaliate. Bowman just built his team differently than Anaheim did.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2015, 02:56:30 PM »
I don't know...I've heard that a lot, but I think it's just that they play that style. The Hawks are a finesse team. They don't take a lot of penalties, they don't physically punish you, so when they play a team that does push you around, it looks dirty by comparison.

Were any Chicago fans complaining when Hossa held the guy's stick in Game 4 for 3 seconds that gave the 'Hawks enough time for Vermette to score? There will always be some missed calls, but this series isn't down to the refs. It's just two disparate playing styles and when a team plays physical, the Hawks will always look like they're getting abused because they really don't retaliate. Bowman just built his team differently than Anaheim did.

I'm not one to cry about dirty play and wouldn't even say that its been a major factor in the series, but there is a difference between a stick hold (aka potentially a missed penalty) and throwing an elbow into Keith's head into the boards.  There is a reason Kesler has been universally disliked back to his Canucks days.  Kruger almost lost his mind in Game 4...and then you saw the replay and its cause Kesler headlocked him and smashed his face in the ice.  Corey Perry is a fantastic player, but also a chippy douche.  Ive watched enough hockey to know the difference between a team that gets out and hits you, and one that is dirty (cough cough STL BLUES cough cough), and coached by a tool like Boudreau who tried to have Nathan McKinnon kneecapped when they were getting blown out.

Again, its not effecting the series in a meaningful way, because of the composure, experience, and skill of the Hawks, but to say the Ducks are by the book, just more physical, isn't true at all.  Cause the Hawks have guys that can mix it up even if its not their MO.

feedback