'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Coaches vs. Players 3 point contest.  (Read 19261 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Coaches vs. Players 3 point contest.
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 09:13:55 AM »
Oh I haven't forgotten. I just think Wally will surprise a lot of people. Looking forward to a finale between Bane and the Older Ellenson

My main goal for a dunk contest involving Burton would be that he not get hurt.

Maybe I'm just a sports Scrooge, but I HATE dunk contests and home-run derby. They prove nothing, they have become cliche and the risk isn't worth the reward.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 09:18:19 AM »
No more risk of injury in a dunk contest than any other practice that these guys do.  Wouldn't worry about it, plus we have plenty of boots.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
Wally in the dunk contest slightly over Bane and Diener big time in the 3 point contest.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 09:46:56 AM »
Players will win a close 3-pt contest.
I would expect if the coaches are ahead, they will go suddenly "cold" in the last round.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 10:06:53 AM »
Wojo? Really glad he's here, but as a player and a shooter he isn't in the same league as Diener. Travis played professionally for, what, 8 or 9 years? Wojo averaged like 5 points a game at Duke.

Agreed, Wojo was a gritty defensive, pass first floor general.  However, the coaches have Diener and Nelson, two of the greatest 3 point shooters in the history of their respective schools.  The current team has no one of that stature...yet.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »
Agreed, Wojo was a gritty defensive, pass first floor general.  However, the coaches have Diener and Nelson, two of the greatest 3 point shooters in the history of their respective schools.  The current team has no one of that stature...yet.

I have high hopes that Duane will end up in the conversation by the time his tenure is up

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 10:25:11 AM »
Players will win a close 3-pt contest.
I would expect if the coaches are ahead, they will go suddenly "cold" in the last round.

Ding, ding, ding.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 10:25:28 AM »
What's the definition of players?  I would love to see a 3rd team present...also "players" but in the NBA.  Wes, Novak and ________?  Maybe get Jabari?

It's a fun thought but would never happen.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 10:26:36 AM »
My main goal for a dunk contest involving Burton would be that he not get hurt.

Maybe I'm just a sports Scrooge, but I HATE dunk contests and home-run derby. They prove nothing, they have become cliche and the risk isn't worth the reward.

Unless they're bringing the ATV back out for him to dunk over he'll be fine...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 10:29:23 AM »
Some Brett Nelson highlights in case anybody is interested. He has a super quick release. Also featuring a young, Keith Bogan, Tayshaun Prince and David Lee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI94jEmIA_0

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
Duh...because Deonte was playing too well and that likely would have resulted in us winning the game, and thus lengthening Buzz's time at MU...when he wanted out!   Let's face it, benching your best player in the game for 6:30 of the last 7:00 minutes doesn't make any sense unless viewed through the above lens.

I do think Wally will give Deonte a good run for his money in dunk contest, yet doubt Wally will ever dunk on people in a game the way Deonte can and does.

Reply anyway you'd like, I'll have no further comment, but I just have to say that your first paragraph sounds delusional.  Are you saying that he felt he had to force Marquette to let him go?  Didn't he have a buyout in his contract?  Wouldn't making a sixth straight NCAA Tournament have led to increased interest from other schools in the off season?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »

Keep your eyes on Tyler!!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2014, 10:42:18 AM »
Unless they're bringing the ATV back out for him to dunk over he'll be fine...

I'm 99.9% sure you're right, but I guess I'm just a worrywart!

And if the .1% happens and he does get hurt, I'm the only one who has the right to whine about it - ha!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2014, 10:44:17 AM »
Whats the ATV that everybody has mentioned recently?

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »
Any one have a pic? I can't seem to find one and feel that words will not do it the justice it deserves

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2014, 11:02:09 AM »
Duh...because Deonte was playing too well and that likely would have resulted in us winning the game, and thus lengthening Buzz's time at MU...when he wanted out!   Let's face it, benching your best player in the game for 6:30 of the last 7:00 minutes doesn't make any sense unless viewed through the above lens.

So now you think Buzz lost on purpose so he could leave Marquette earlier?

Cmon...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 11:08:38 AM »

So now you think Buzz lost on purpose so he could leave Marquette earlier?

Cmon...

Of course! It makes perfect sense that buzz would give up his postseason bonuses just to leave early!
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »
Any one have a pic? I can't seem to find one and feel that words will not do it the justice it deserves

A picture wouldn't do it justice.  Gotta have video.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
Career 3-point shooting stats
Brett Nelson – 274/689 .398
Travis Diener – 281/681 .413

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2014, 11:25:10 AM »
Duh...because Deonte was playing too well and that likely would have resulted in us winning the game, and thus lengthening Buzz's time at MU...when he wanted out!   Let's face it, benching your best player in the game for 6:30 of the last 7:00 minutes doesn't make any sense unless viewed through the above lens.

Some more on this.  I actually went back and looked at the play by play.

Burton went out of the Xavier game at the 12:48 mark of the second half after he had missed a lay-up and had a turnover on two of the last three possessions.  At the time Marquette was down by 3.

After he subbed out, Marquette played Xavier pretty evenly, and even grabbed the lead at one point.  He came back in at 7:36 with Marquette down 5.  He was then on the floor until 4:50 when they still were down 5.  He had a lay-up, steal, and turnover during that stretch.

He was out until the 1:15 mark.  During that stretch, Marquette cut the deficit to 3.  He subbed in for Jamil at that point who had just missed two lay-ups that could have cut it to 1.  He played until the :18 mark and they were still down 3.

So he was not benched for "6:30 of the last 7:00" of that game.  As I see it, he was on the floor for almost half of the final 7:36.  Objectively, you were completely wrong here.

He also didn't seem to have much impact on the stretches when he was in the game during the final 7:36.  He went 0-1, with a steal, turnover and zero rebounds.  Subjectively I am not saying it was the right decision.  But let's not pretend that he wasn't out there AND that it would have been a no-brainer win had he been on the floor.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »

Something I never noticed before was that Bad To the Bone was playing during Tanned Tommy's ATV ride. Delusional.

Death on call

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2014, 11:35:30 AM »

Indeed--the video explains it all. I was there that night and couldn't believe what I saw then, and rewatching.  A few minutes ago I'm still laughing at the douchery.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2014, 11:39:55 AM »
Some of TallTitan's best work in the beginning of that video.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2014, 11:46:58 AM »
Something I never noticed before was that Bad To the Bone was playing during Tanned Tommy's ATV ride. Delusional.

Of course, he's bad to the bone.  That's why he's wearing a motorcycle helmet while riding an ATV around in circles indoors on a flat surface.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »
Of course, he's bad to the bone.  That's why he's wearing a motorcycle helmet while riding an ATV around in circles indoors on a flat surface.

...and still almost hits a guy and rolls the thing over.