[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hypothetical: You're A Borderline NBA Player. Do you go to Europe or D League?  (Read 4787 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
I was just reading a short article about Jamil Wilson and the invite by the Phoenix Suns. Article mentioned that the Suns were at the roster limit so simple math dictates that player's in Jamil's shoes would no make the Suns.

This got me thinking, is it better to go to Europe and make the extra money, or go to the D League and have a more direct course to the NBA.

All things considered, if I was right on the cusp I'd give the D League a go. If I was older or farther off the cusp, I'd go to Europe.

Anyone disagree?
We Are Marquette

RJax55

• All American
This assumes you are a borderline player, a guy who has a real chance at being a 12 -15 spot on a NBA roster. If you're looking at making the NBA, the D-league is the route.

In the D-league you have:
* Ability to sign 10-day contracts with NBA teams
* Scouts from all over the league at your games
* Ability to build your network with coaches, scouts and front-office people from across the NBA

Europe is good for guys looking for cash. The pay is much, much better, but most players don't have the flexible contract-wise if/when an opening comes up in the league.

Nukem2

• All American
How many guys get a real NBA gig out of the D-League?  A 10 day cup of coffee is nice, but the player could be giving up some real money and life experiences.

4everwarriors

• All American
Marry money
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brandx

Quality of life - Europe, hands down.

Groin_pull

• All American
Give me Europe. I love that part of the world. The people...the food...the museums...etc.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
My vote would be for a more stable, stimulating life in Europe plus more cash in the jeans

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
Steve Novak has gotten a NBA job out of the D-league.

Jeremy Lin is another...

D-League Website has a laundry list of players that started at this level.

There is also talk of increasing pay for D-league players next year to compete with Europe pay.

Galway Eagle

• All American

Jeremy Lin is another...

There is also talk of increasing pay for D-league players next year to compete with Europe pay.

If they do increase that'd be huge for creating a better NBA minor league to eventually get rid of one and dones
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

If they do increase that'd be huge for creating a better NBA minor league to eventually get rid of one and dones

My thought exactly.

There is very little market in Europe for US high school graduates. So, the NBA would much rather have control over how these guys are coached rather than leaving it up to some unknown guy in Asia.

4everwarriors

• All American
Broads are better lookin' in Europe than in Fort Wayne, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American

Jeremy Lin is another...

Novak spent a short spell in The D-League during his 2nd year as a pro.  Otherwise he has been a mainline NBA guy.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
You go to the D-League.

I am anxious to see where Todd Mayo is drafted here soon? Todd would be a great pickup for someone and can re-enter the NBA draft like PJ Harrison did for the Hornets.

Get in where you fit in and he can fit with some team. I wish him all the best and hope and pray it works out for him.

Todd might fall in what you might call "borderline" NBA player at this stage so I use him as an example if he is not been used before.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
Give me Europe. I love that part of the world. The people...the food...the museums...etc.
You pick Europe if you have no confidence in your abilites and you are settling...imo.

Those are great reasons but if it is strictly 'eyes on the prize' I want to give it my best shot to fulfill my dream type scenario then you pick the Euro route.

It depends on who you are I guess and what kind of player you have or agent and what your dreams and options are.

brandx

You go to the D-League.

I am anxious to see where Todd Mayo is drafted here soon? Todd would be a great pickup for someone and can re-enter the NBA draft like PJ Harrison did for the Hornets.

Get in where you fit in and he can fit with some team. I wish him all the best and hope and pray it works out for him.

Todd might fall in what you might call "borderline" NBA player at this stage so I use him as an example if he is not been used before.

Todd has a long, long way to go to even reach borderline.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American

Ditto.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Europe.  Not even close.

Part of the problem with the hypothetical is a guy assuming he is a borderline NBA player. Lots of kids think they are NBA players (witness the many who leave college early), but very few actually are.  For every example of a D-league player who has gone on to a successful NBA career, you can list dozens who didn't...and who probably wish they'd opted for Europe.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Who pays more?

GGGG

• All American
If I had an NBA body and measurables, but needed to work on my skill-set, I would go D-League.  If I didn't get a shot after a couple of seasons, I would then head over to Europe.  (eg. Vander Blue)

If I had a decent skill set, but simply did not have the measurables to play in the NBA, I would head over to Europe and make a nice chunk of change.  (eg. Tony Miller)

source?

• All American
Who pays more?

DL pays around $12k-$35k. Top division leagues in Europe you can get $100k without necessarily being a superstar. Low level guys start around $65k. "Superstars" can make as much as $7.8m. There is no income tax on the European salaries.

http://sportsagentblog.com/2012/07/30/nba-d-league-vs-european-basketball-why-dont-more-players-go-to-europe/

I've spent time in England, France, Germany, Italy, and Greece. Wonderful people, great food, amazing cultural/historical sites. Sign me up for Europe any day.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:57:39 AM by source? »