[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I'm ridiculously excited to see Matt Carlino play this year  (Read 13827 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: I'm ridiculously excited to see Matt Carlino play this year
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 09:13:36 AM »
Matt is not here to be a role player and Wojo did not take him to be role player. I do find it funny that this is even being debated. People look at Matt's path to MU and assume way too much into it. He had plenty of options to play this year and is here to play an important role. IMO he is going to be the difference between us having a so-so year and surprisingly good year.

Some might know this about Matt, but he was in Time magazine as an 8th grade in regards to schollie offers he had received, including UCLA at the time. From 8th grade until Jr. in high school he and Austin Rivers were two highest rated high school guards in the country. Granted that means little today, but the kid can play ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 09:15:20 AM »
Who said that he was going to be a role player?  I just think the expectations need to be tempered.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 09:17:20 AM »
too bad this isnt 8th grade basketball

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
As to the BYU gripes, first off I would suggest that if true a change of scenery and change of coaches and coaching styles may help. We seem to forget sometimes that these are 19, 20 and 21-year-old young men. They make mistakes and have youthful feelings about themselves and the world. I don't think we should condemn him based on postings from the BYU version of Scoop, anymore than we should condemn some of our transferees who somehow just could not make Marquette work.

Secondly, Carlino is not the second coming of DWade or Butch Lee. I hope he can help us but I am more interested in seeing how Coach Wojo transforms our returning team. We had an offensive problem last year. If you looked at our base starting line-up, on average we got about 20 points a game from our starting five. Our point guard had trouble hitting the urinal in the men's room. Our best players were on the bench and our substitution patterns (if you could call them that) would confound a Nobel Lauriate in Physics. If Matt can help us solve some of this great. But the success of our team in 2014-2015 will come from core changes in the way the team is run.

Finally, let the guy get into practice before we have him walking across Lake Michigan. OK?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 09:28:16 AM »
As to the BYU gripes, first off I would suggest that if true a change of scenery and change of coaches and coaching styles may help. We seem to forget sometimes that these are 19, 20 and 21-year-old young men. They make mistakes and have youthful feelings about themselves and the world. I don't think we should condemn him based on postings from the BYU version of Scoop, anymore than we should condemn some of our transferees who somehow just could not make Marquette work.

Secondly, Carlino is not the second coming of DWade or Butch Lee. I hope he can help us but I am more interested in seeing how Coach Wojo transforms our returning team. We had an offensive problem last year. If you looked at our base starting line-up, on average we got about 20 points a game from our starting five. Our point guard had trouble hitting the urinal in the men's room. Our best players were on the bench and our substitution patterns (if you could call them that) would confound a Nobel Lauriate in Physics. If Matt can help us solve some of this great. But the success of our team in 2014-2015 will come from core changes in the way the team is run.

Finally, let the guy get into practice before we have him walking across Lake Michigan. OK?

Good comment, he is not the second coming but with the lack of scoring last year he might be able to hit a few shots, much better than Jake Thomas.  There are so many questions marks on
this upcoming team, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.  All 10 players will get a chance to play, and really 9 the first month.  Fisher will be nice addition in December as this team will be small but quick.  I think Wojo will play fast, no one really inside to pound the ball to.  So Carlino will get his shots, that is for sure.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 09:51:18 AM »
I dont know how Carlino is going to do or who is going to start but I do know that there is going to be some fun, fast paced, basketball this year that is going to help slashing guys like Jajuan and Deonte on the wing and spot up shooters trailing the play like Carlino and Duane. (Im assuming here) I think Wojo's style suits these guys abilities a lot more and though I dont expect to make the NCAA tourney this year, they have the ability to turn some heads.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:56 AM »
I'm starting to see Carlino a bit like folks saw Trent Lockett. A 5th year graduate who showed great promise on a mediocre team before coming to MU. A guy we hoped would come in and play a lead, visible role. Well, Trent didn't stand out much at all during most of his year here, and there were voices disparaging him. He ended up being acknowledged as a key part of the team that made it to the Elite 8.

Maybe we're building up expectations for Carlino like we did for Lockett. Maybe Carlino won't be as dominate as we'd like. But maybe he'll still be a critical player in this transition season.

Of course, Carlino will be a key guy in a transition season.  However, his situation is different than Lockett's was.  Lockett was clearly the best player on his team the final two years that he played, and was leaving to experience some team success (and to be nearer to his sick mother).  Carlino is leaving BYU because he lost his starting position and experienced reduced playing time due to what the BYU coaching staff considered to be inconsistent play.  Reports say that when Carlino is on, he can be spectacular, and when he isn't on, he can be terrible.  If someone is going to make a highlight reel of such a player by choosing only the spectacular plays, the guy is going to come off like he's an All-American.  My only point in this thread is that to get ridiculously excited based on such a highlight reel is unwise since the reel doesn't show a true cross section of Matt's performance.  To this point in his career, Matt has been a boom or bust kind of player. so I'm not going to be expecting him to be "on" every game, and I won't be among those vilifying him on scoop when he has an off game.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 10:22:43 AM »
The reality is that we need his skill set this year and were fortunate to find a graduate player with immediate eligibility who commands a scholarship for one year.  I'm happy he's here and ready to go for '14-'15.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 11:08:20 AM »
Ryan Amoroso also put up 30 points against South Carolina in the Great Alaskan Shootout, and we all know how that ended up.

Off topic but Ryan Amoroso was the first Marquette recruit I ever went to see play while he was in high school. I lived in Saint Paul at the time and my dad took me to see him play in the state tournament. We both thought that he was going to be the recruit to take Marquette to the next level....whoops.

PS, out of curiosity I looked up his wiki page to see where he was playing now. According to the wiki, Amoroso left because of an argument with TC about online poker? Is that a true story? The wiki didn't have a citation to support it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 11:21:19 AM »
Off topic but Ryan Amoroso was the first Marquette recruit I ever went to see play while he was in high school. I lived in Saint Paul at the time and my dad took me to see him play in the state tournament. We both thought that he was going to be the recruit to take Marquette to the next level....whoops.

PS, out of curiosity I looked up his wiki page to see where he was playing now. According to the wiki, Amoroso left because of an argument with TC about online poker? Is that a true story? The wiki didn't have a citation to support it.

IIRC (I was a student at the time), he was suspended, along with Matt Mortensen, for some sort of gambling. After that punishment was laid down, I think he decided to go elsewhere. I never heard any other specifics.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:24:10 AM by Bleutellenson »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »
I think he is set up to fail. Some of you have lofty expectations for a proven player. He is what he is at this point in his bball career.

"Fail" in whose eyes? A bunch of Internet yahoos like us?

I expect him to play 20+ mpg and to team with Duane and JJJ (and Derrick, for that matter) to give us a major upgrade at both guard spots. Anything beyond that will be a bonus. I don't think those are over-the-top expectations at all.

If his production and contribution are worse than that of last year's guards, yes, I will be disappointed. In other words, I doubt I'll be disappointed.

On a related note ...

Did Wojo actually say he sees Carlino as more of a 2 than a 1? I have seen that mentioned several times but I don't remember seeing an exact Wojo quote. I'm not disputing or debating anything, just looking for info. Thanks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
On a related note ...

Did Wojo actually say he sees Carlino as more of a 2 than a 1? I have seen that mentioned several times but I don't remember seeing an exact Wojo quote. I'm not disputing or debating anything, just looking for info. Thanks.

I have never seen a wojo quote about it. Cracked Sidewalks and Paint Touches floated the idea in different articles but I don't know if that is opinion or based on speaking with Wojo. There was also the interview with Carlino where he said something to the effect of the "there won't be a point guard. There will just be a bunch of guards on the floor." Could be interesting if different people in the same rotation were taking ball up the court.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
... and though I dont expect to make the NCAA tourney this year, they have the ability to turn some heads.

Oh bovine effluent!

I expect us to surprise and shock much of the college basketball world. By March, we'll be a Top 25 team.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
Oh bovine effluent!

I expect us to surprise and shock much of the college basketball world. By March, we'll be a Top 25 team.

I'm in your camp, D.
Have some patience, FFS.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 08:10:13 PM »
"Fail" in whose eyes? A bunch of Internet yahoos like us?

I expect him to play 20+ mpg and to team with Duane and JJJ (and Derrick, for that matter) to give us a major upgrade at both guard spots. Anything beyond that will be a bonus. I don't think those are over-the-top expectations at all.

If his production and contribution are worse than that of last year's guards, yes, I will be disappointed. In other words, I doubt I'll be disappointed.

On a related note ...

Lets’ not forget this is his last chance to display his skills on the college level.  Also he can show how he fits in as a teammate.  I believe he will become a big plus for us this coming year.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2014, 12:07:26 AM »
Except that Wojo sees him as a two.

Well if Carlino isn't running the point primarily, and Derrick is - then that must mean Derrick has improved nicely over the summer.  Hopefully all of the shooting work Derrick put in paid off, because we simply cannot have a repeat performance of last season's production given the minutes played.

And for the record, I really don't believe Derrick is as bad of shooter as his numbers reflected last year and suspect he'll show some improvement this year - will it be enough to be 20+ minute player per game?  Guess, we will see.

Should be interesting to see how the minutes play out between JJJ, Duane, Dawson and Derrick.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »
Except that Wojo sees him as a two.

When Carlino was recruited, I suspect that Wojo already had a good idea, or maybe even knew for certain, that Todd Mayo wouldn't be around come fall.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:12:16 AM by LittleEllenson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 10:28:52 AM »
Derrick has improved nicely over the summer. 

A man doesn't put it the hole 20,000 times in a summer and not feel a bit better about himself.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »
A man doesn't put it the hole 20,000 times in a summer and not feel a bit better about himself.

We still talking about basketball here?

MaymonsPops

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
Wish it was possible to fast forward through this season. Love the way we are set up for 2015-2016, but I have a feeling I'll want to poke my eyes out watching D Wil and Matty Carlino share a back court. The Carlino optimism from the people on here is funny, and can't wait to see what it becomes after he drops 30 in a game early in the year... Only to have him become the goat of this board when he's going 4-21 regularly in games jacking contested jumpers from all over the yard. Can't wait!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
Wish it was possible to fast forward through this season. Love the way we are set up for 2015-2016, but I have a feeling I'll want to poke my eyes out watching D Wil and Matty Carlino share a back court. The Carlino optimism from the people on here is funny, and can't wait to see what it becomes after he drops 30 in a game early in the year... Only to have him become the goat of this board when he's going 4-21 regularly in games jacking contested jumpers from all over the yard. Can't wait!

Thanks Tim.  Can't wait to see Jeonne playing the 2 for the Bucks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »

Ugh. Scoop irony.

Last season, we bitched that our PG couldn't shoot, and wouldn't shoot. This season, we might have a guy who can shoot, but who chooses to shoot too much.

I don't know if I'll be able to handle that.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »
I don't want to fast-forward through this season because the journey and watching the kids get better is very enjoyable to me.  The guys I'm looking forward to watching this year are Taylor, the freshmen and the sophs.  If most things breaks right, we could be an NCAA team this season, but anything good we do this year is gravy.  Really looking forward to our underclassmen re-building the brand.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2014, 04:45:15 PM »
Well if Carlino isn't running the point primarily, and Derrick is - then that must mean Derrick has improved nicely over the summer.  Hopefully all of the shooting work Derrick put in paid off, because we simply cannot have a repeat performance of last season's production given the minutes played.

And for the record, I really don't believe Derrick is as bad of shooter as his numbers reflected last year and suspect he'll show some improvement this year - will it be enough to be 20+ minute player per game?  Guess, we will see.

Should be interesting to see how the minutes play out between JJJ, Duane, Dawson and Derrick.
I continue to believe Wojo's first big challenge is to incorporate Carlino in a fashion where he plays team ball. Hopefully , Wojo can sell him that there is a lot of personal upside for him if he does. If not he has to bench him right away, as players like that can really destroy the team chemistry.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 11:00:39 AM »
Jimmer Fredette 2.0