[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I'm ridiculously excited to see Matt Carlino play this year  (Read 13765 times)

kryza

• Team Captain
I'm ridiculously excited to see Matt Carlino play this year
« on: September 30, 2014, 05:40:07 PM »
I'm sure most of you are aware, but the kid dropped 30 on Portland last year and it's pretty awesome to watch; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqERPFe-pdw

BYU fans still love Carlino (see his one shining moment video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_NP85flPb4) and I for one can't wait to see what he does with a Marquette jersey on. Him along with Burton and Taylor should make for an exciting season!

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: I'm ridiculously excited to see Matt Carlino play this year
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
Just realized that Gabe and Matt would've played eachother last year. Not to mention Matt has played us before in the NCAA tournament. That's kinda cool. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:47:50 PM »
Lefty with a quick release. Should open up the lane a bit

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
Humm, the ridiculously in ridiculously excited might end up having a different meaning than you intended.  People seem unaware that Matt started last year as a starter at BYU and lost his starting position due to inconsistent play.  Here is some BYU fan reaction to Matt's transfer.

"In my opinion coach Rose exhibited more than enough patience with Matt Carlino. Best wishes to Matt, but his play was too inconsistent with maddeningly terrible turnovers interspersed with spectacular plays. It's the tough turnovers that lead to points the other way that hurt the BYU team. Matt lost several games that way in his career and Rose, who tried to coach him out of it by what I saw, finally decided he needed the playmaking with the second unit and a more consistent steady hand with the first unit..."

"If Matty played better he would have kept his job. We loved him and wanted him to succeed but he often disappointed. Really disappointed when he cut and ran. Sadly he has done that all his life so we should not be surprised. If he improved his consistency and game a bit he really could have a break out year but when faced with a challenge he left for greener pastures. At some point he needs to work on the pasture he is already in. Best of luck Matty. Hope it works for you."

"I have followed the career of Carlino since his sophomore year at Highland HS in Gilbert. He played with 2 of my nephews (who, by the way are part of BYU's 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes). They knew him well and he was not well liked by his teammates. His dad was a bone-head who clashed with every coach and every parent on the team. Matt was known as a selfish, opportunistic, and "stats only" player. He transferred to Indiana for his senior year because he was benched in favor of better players. His transfer record from multiple high schools and multiple universities should have been a red flag for coach Rose. ... The kid was trouble from the start as evidenced by his off court relationships with other players and coaching staff. There were times I enjoyed him on the court, but they were few and far between. I wish he no ill will. But he and his overbearing, obnoxious father have graciously spared us another season in Provo. He's a diva, but lacks the talent to back that up. Personally, I hope he does well at Marquette...but don't be surprised if he ends up as a distraction rather than a productive member of his new team. Plus, I predict his dad will be banned from all Marquette practices and games before the season even starts. While I appreciate his modest contributions to BYU hoops, but overall the team is better off without him, ..."

For the most part, these fans don't seem to be holding a grudge, they wish Matt well, but were aware of and ready to list his shortcomings.  Will Matt be a disaster at Marquette?  I highly doubt it and that's not what I'm trying to say.  I am saying that given Matt's history to date, tempered expectations are likely the most realistic expectations.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:56:06 PM by LittleEllenson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »
Was it Big Daddy who posted that he thought Carlino wouldn't even start?  I'm not holding my breath with him.  IMO a rotation player.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 06:58:50 PM »
Humm, the ridiculously in ridiculously excited might end up having a different meaning than you intended.  People seem unaware that Matt started last year as a starter at BYU and lost his starting position due to inconsistent play.  Here is some BYU fan reaction to Matt's transfer.

"In my opinion coach Rose exhibited more than enough patience with Matt Carlino. Best wishes to Matt, but his play was too inconsistent with maddeningly terrible turnovers interspersed with spectacular plays. It's the tough turnovers that lead to points the other way that hurt the BYU team. Matt lost several games that way in his career and Rose, who tried to coach him out of it by what I saw, finally decided he needed the playmaking with the second unit and a more consistent steady hand with the first unit..."

"If Matty played better he would have kept his job. We loved him and wanted him to succeed but he often disappointed. Really disappointed when he cut and ran. Sadly he has done that all his life so we should not be surprised. If he improved his consistency and game a bit he really could have a break out year but when faced with a challenge he left for greener pastures. At some point he needs to work on the pasture he is already in. Best of luck Matty. Hope it works for you."

"I have followed the career of Carlino since his sophomore year at Highland HS in Gilbert. He played with 2 of my nephews (who, by the way are part of BYU's 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes). They knew him well and he was not well liked by his teammates. His dad was a bone-head who clashed with every coach and every parent on the team. Matt was known as a selfish, opportunistic, and "stats only" player. He transferred to Indiana for his senior year because he was benched in favor of better players. His transfer record from multiple high schools and multiple universities should have been a red flag for coach Rose. ... The kid was trouble from the start as evidenced by his off court relationships with other players and coaching staff. There were times I enjoyed him on the court, but they were few and far between. I wish he no ill will. But he and his overbearing, obnoxious father have graciously spared us another season in Provo. He's a diva, but lacks the talent to back that up. Personally, I hope he does well at Marquette...but don't be surprised if he ends up as a distraction rather than a productive member of his new team. Plus, I predict his dad will be banned from all Marquette practices and games before the season even starts. While I appreciate his modest contributions to BYU hoops, but overall the team is better off without him, ..."

For the most part, these fans don't seem to be holding a grudge, they wish Matt well, but were aware of and ready to list his shortcomings.  Will Matt be a disaster at Marquette?  I highly doubt it and that's not what I'm trying to say.  I am saying that given Matt's history to date, tempered expectations are likely the most realistic expectations.

Those quotes make him sound like a poor man's Todd Mayo with Jeronne Maymon's father for his dad.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:00:39 PM by Ellensons Tap »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »
The only thing I take away from this is I really wish Marquette had an MUTV like BYUTV.  Their stuff is ridiculously high quality and they broadcast everything.  Men's volleyball matches, evidently men's basketball games, etc.  The commentators for the volleyball matches both played at a high level and are very knowledgable about the game, too.  Must be nice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »

Nuanced, thoughtful posts.   Perspectives scoopers haven't heard or contemplated. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »
http://www.loyalcougars.com/2014/08/02/byu-football/5528-editorial-on-jake-heaps-matt-carlino-schadenfreude/

On the other hand, still reasoned and well thought out, but not quite as nice.   Matt Carlino was apparently quite the lighting rod in Provo.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »
Thanks, for postin', Mr. Carlino ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »

Probably some truth in here. But this sounds just like many of the posts scoopers have added about Buzz, Crean, Blue, Maymon, Mbakwe, Mayo.....probably about 15% truth and 85% hurt  feelings
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
Matt will start and be a big part of rotation. Take that to the bank.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
I think he is set up to fail. Some of you have lofty expectations for a proven player. He is what he is at this point in his bball career.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »
Those quotes make him sound like a poor man's Todd Mayo with Jeronne Maymon's father for his dad.

Post of the day!

That said, hindsight is 20/20 and having someone depart can leave jilted feelings.

brandx

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 08:51:02 PM »

I tend to feel the same way.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 08:52:14 PM »
Carlino's 15% turnover rate last season was lower than MU regulars like DWil (20%), Toddler (21%) and even the shooter Jake (16%). (Oh, and a Ners bonus - better than Dawson (27%), too.)

PS - Cadougan's best year was as a senior.. all the way down to 26%.

[Carlino's shooting does concern me.]
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »
I'm starting to see Carlino a bit like folks saw Trent Lockett. A 5th year graduate who showed great promise on a mediocre team before coming to MU. A guy we hoped would come in and play a lead, visible role. Well, Trent didn't stand out much at all during most of his year here, and there were voices disparaging him. He ended up being acknowledged as a key part of the team that made it to the Elite 8.

Maybe we're building up expectations for Carlino like we did for Lockett. Maybe Carlino won't be as dominate as we'd like. But maybe he'll still be a critical player in this transition season.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 09:33:58 PM »
Carlino's 15% turnover rate last season was lower than MU regulars like DWil (20%), Toddler (21%) and even the shooter Jake (16%). (Oh, and a Ners bonus - better than Dawson (27%), too.)

Saw that as well, he's a huge upgrade at the PG position. His Assist percentage and steal percentage are also far superior to Wilson. Before last year, Carlino was a decent shooter, high 40s inside the 3. Last year dipped to 41%. I watched him up close at the Bradley center in March. The guy is extremely quick, fast and can get his shot anytime. Sometimes those guys end up taking more shots then they should. His team didn't have anyone else that could match up to Oregon athletically, so he forced a lot of shots. He's raised his offensive efficiency 5 points each of the first 3 years...if he does that again he'll be around 110, solid.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »

Here, here Goose. We need Carlino to deliver and I believe he will.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 07:19:33 AM »
I'm starting to see Carlino a bit like folks saw Trent Lockett. A 5th year graduate who showed great promise on a mediocre team before coming to MU. A guy we hoped would come in and play a lead, visible role. Well, Trent didn't stand out much at all during most of his year here, and there were voices disparaging him. He ended up being acknowledged as a key part of the team that made it to the Elite 8.

Maybe we're building up expectations for Carlino like we did for Lockett. Maybe Carlino won't be as dominate as we'd like. But maybe he'll still be a critical player in this transition season.

These are pretty much my thoughts exactly.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 07:30:53 AM »

I'll take a guy with a 26% turnover rate, like Cadougan, who forces the action, pushes the ball in transition, and isn't afraid to penetrate into the teeth of a defense and create good looks for his teammates (and also has the vision to execute the passes through the passing lanes created by the forced help D on the penetration) over the alternative...who does none of the above and turns the ball over 6% less.

Carlino will be an upgrade over last year for sure, that we can take to the bank.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 08:24:57 AM »
I'll take a guy with a 26% turnover rate, like Cadougan, who forces the action, pushes the ball in transition, and isn't afraid to penetrate into the teeth of a defense and create good looks for his teammates (and also has the vision to execute the passes through the passing lanes created by the forced help D on the penetration) over the alternative...who does none of the above and turns the ball over 6% less.

Carlino will be an upgrade over last year for sure, that we can take to the bank.
Except that Wojo sees him as a two.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »
I'm sure most of you are aware, but the kid dropped 30 on Portland last year and it's pretty awesome to watch; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqERPFe-pdw

BYU fans still love Carlino (see his one shining moment video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_NP85flPb4) and I for one can't wait to see what he does with a Marquette jersey on. Him along with Burton and Taylor should make for an exciting season!

Ryan Amoroso also put up 30 points against South Carolina in the Great Alaskan Shootout, and we all know how that ended up.

I am not saying Carlino won't be an important contributor, but I would temper the expectations just a tad.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:41:59 AM by Bleutellenson »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 08:44:39 AM »
Except that Wojo sees him as a two.

Right, and that is why I mentioned the starting issue.  I almost wonder if he comes off the bench and plays both guard positions.  Duane is probably similar too.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
http://www.loyalcougars.com/2014/08/02/byu-football/5528-editorial-on-jake-heaps-matt-carlino-schadenfreude/

On the other hand, still reasoned and well thought out, but not quite as nice.   Matt Carlino was apparently quite the lighting rod in Provo.   

I was hoping for something different from a site called LoyalCougar   ?-(

they make a good point with this:

(A fifth-year senior transferring to a new team and not wanting to sit the bench is not an entitlement issue, by the way. Would you transfer to a new school if you planned on not starting?)

feedback