[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Malek Harris Update  (Read 8351 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Malek Harris Update
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:43:31 PM »
I highlighted this passage below

Malek Harris, a 6-7 freshman who originally committed to Marquette, is the best recruit Weber's had at Kansas State.

Harris is the best for Weber in his two years at KSU?  Where would he rank for us if he stayed?

Gives some prospective on MU basketball versus everyone else that is a non-blueblood ... in case you forgot.

---------------------------------------------------

College basketball countdown: No. 28 Kansas State

Scott Gleeson,
USA TODAY Sports
6:28 p.m. EDT September 29, 2014

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/09/29/college-basketball-countdown-no-28-kansas-state/16285117/

THE FIRST WORD: After half a decade enduring criticism for piloting an underachieving program at Illinois, coach Bruce Weber is subtly doing the exact opposite in Manhattan.

STARTING FIVE: Previewing the 2014-15 season

For the past two seasons, the Wildcats have overachieved. Following an unexpected first-place Big 12 finish (tied with Kansas) in his first season, Weber guided a depleted and inexperienced Kansas State team to 20 wins last season, which included a trip to the NCAA tournament.

What's Year 3 have in store?

"Hopefully beating Kansas," Weber said with a laugh of the school's arch-rival.

Dethroning the Jayhawks, who have won 10 consecutive Big 12 titles, will be at the top of the list, along with a deep run in the NCAAs. The Wildcats will have a chance at both, despite losing two starters. All-Big 12 guard Marcus Foster returns after a stellar freshman campaign, as does veteran big man Thomas Gipson. And Weber welcomes in a pair of impact transfers in Justin Edwards (Maine) and Brandon Bolden (Georgetown).

here's such a tradition at Kansas State. I think we've been able to re-energize it," Weber said. "My biggest goal is to keep it going and take another step. Do we have the talent and athleticism to make a nice run, go deep in the tournament? You bet. I feel deep down like we'll be really good."

013-14 IN REVIEW: 20-13 overall, 10-8 (fifth in the Big 12), lost in third round of NCAA tournament to Kentucky.

PATH TO THE DANCE: Big 12 at-large bid.

PROJECTED TOURNEY SEED: No. 7 seed.

NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE GRADE: C+. See full schedule here.

The Wildcats will face a relatively tough slate in the Maui Invitational, starting with Purdue. The rest of the schedule isn't incredibly difficult, with a road game at rebuilding Tennessee and home games against Texas A&M and Georgia.

TAR WATCH: Foster (15.5 ppg, 3.2 rpg) had a strong freshman season (15.5 ppg, 3.2 rpg),including a handful of breakout performances — a 34-point showing vs. Texas (Feb. 8) and a 29-point outing vs. Baylor (March 8). Not bad for a guy who drew little recruiting attention. Now the Big 12 player of the year candidate will be on everyone's radar. Weber expects the 6-2 combo guard with a chip on his shoulder to be more mature and take even more strides as a sophomore.

Gipson (11.7 ppg, 6.5 rpg) was a consistent producer last season. The 6-7 senior forward spent the summer recovering from shoulder surgery and should be back to full strength at the start of the season.

Edwards averaged 16.7 points, 5.2 rebounds and 3.4 assists a game at Maine in 2012-13 and figures to be a high-volume scorer in the backcourt right away. The 6-4 junior guard has serious athleticism (46-inch vertical) and an improved long-range jump shot, according to Weber.

X-FACTOR: The point guard position. Nigel Johnson (6-1, sophomore) and Jevon Thomas (6-0, sophomore) shared floor general duties last season. One of them will have to show maturity running the show and controlling the game's tempo without turning it over so that Foster won't be tasked with too many ballhandling duties.

KEY NEWCOMERS: Aside from Gipson, the Wildcats struggled for production in the frontcourt last season. With reinforcements, that shouldn't be an issue. Bolden is a former top-100 recruit who never panned out at Georgetown but Weber expects the 6-11 sophomore forward to add a toughness factor to the team. Malek Harris, a 6-7 freshman who originally committed to Marquette, is the best recruit Weber's had at Kansas State. And 6-11 Stephen Hurt should be ready to take on a big role after averaging 11.5 points at Lipscomb as a freshman before spending a season in junior college. These newcomers, meshed with Gipson and returnee D.J. Johnson (6-9 junior), should give KSU needed depth in the post to compete with any team in the Big 12.

KEY STRENGTH/WEAKNESS: Last season the Wildcats led the Big 12 in scoring defense (65.4 ppg). Offense was another issue (ranking eighth of 12 teams in the Big 12 and 223rd in the nation) and there were plenty of scoring lulls. Unlike last season, though, depth will be an area of strength, which should help on both ends of the floor. That means role players such as Wesley Iwundu (6-7 sophomore) and Nino Williams (6-5 senior) will have to play to their potential. "I think we'll be one of the better defensive teams in the Big 12 and in the country," Weber said. "We have to do what we do well and that's guard people. That's how we'll win close games."

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Malek Harris Update
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
OK, we know the Hillbilly recruited a good class coming in. But…

1) How many of the existing class could he have kept if he stayed?

2) How long would it have been before these guys tired of the Hillbilly and went elsewhere?

Who knows? MOVE ON

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »
OK, we know the Hillbilly recruited a good class coming in. But…

1) How many of the existing class could he have kept if he stayed?

2) How long would it have been before these guys tired of the Hillbilly and went elsewhere?

Who knows? MOVE ON

Malek was never coming to Marquette.  Bert is gone in part because of this.  Malek may have had the most positive influence on this program, well, ever.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »
This was from a Malek to KSU article:

"Harris is a four-star prospect and the 80th-ranked player in the 2014 recruiting class, according to Rivals."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article355561/Highly-rated-basketball-prospect-Malek-Harris-chooses-Kansas-State.html#storylink=cpy

We're shooting for Ellenson, a top 10 player, and we're entertaining the thought about an 80th ranked player?

#pass
#donedeal
SS Marquette

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:05:46 AM »
This was from a Malek to KSU article:

"Harris is a four-star prospect and the 80th-ranked player in the 2014 recruiting class, according to Rivals."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article355561/Highly-rated-basketball-prospect-Malek-Harris-chooses-Kansas-State.html#storylink=cpy

We're shooting for Ellenson, a top 10 player, and we're entertaining the thought about an 80th ranked player?

#pass
#donedeal

It's just an update.......MU certainly it's entertaining the thought of signing MH.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »
He did not play his senior year and still got ranked 80th. He is probably underrated. Also, if Buzz stayed he would have probably ended up at MU, because there would have been scholarships available. However, I am happy with the direction we are going.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 08:32:06 AM »
Threads like this make me feel like my hair is on fire.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »
He did not play his senior year and still got ranked 80th. He is probably underrated. Also, if Buzz stayed he would have probably ended up at MU, because there would have been scholarships available. However, I am happy with the direction we are going.

Again, this is one of the biggest reasons Bert left...because Malek was never, ever stepping foot on Marquette's campus, so Bert took his ball and went home.

And Malek will prove to be overrated, not underrated.

Well played.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »
He missed most of his junior year as well because of suspension again.  Guy can play, but wonder where his mind is at.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »

I guess you missed my point.

KSU took a castaway from MU that was ranked 80th.  That is the highest rated recruit Bruce Weber has gotten to KSU (starting his 3rd year). 

Most of our team and most of Next year's recruits are rated higher.  MH would be the 8th or so highest rated recruit (going strictly by HS ranking) if he came to MU.

Just pointing out the difference between KSU and MU.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »

KSU took a castaway from MU that was ranked 80th.  That is the highest rated recruit Bruce Weber has gotten to KSU (starting his 3rd year). 

Most of our team and most of Next year's recruits are rated higher.  MH would be the 8th or so highest rated recruit (going strictly by HS ranking) if he came to MU.

I think you missed his point, haha.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »
Who cares. He's not at MU!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »
This thread is stupid.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »

Pay the man!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »

Whew.  Thanks. 

For awhile I was really worrying who had a better basketball program....Kansas State or Marquette.  Thanks for clearing that up.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 07:05:05 PM »

Whew.  Thanks. 

For awhile I was really worrying who had a better basketball program....Kansas State or Marquette.  Thanks for clearing that up.

They beat us in a closed door scrimmage, so I think he's wrong here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 07:05:51 PM »

HA!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »

Beasley really fooked up our Tourney seeding, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mug644

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »

Beasley really fooked up our Tourney seeding, aina?

He was really smokin' that day, I heard.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 09:59:51 PM »

I second this motion. Time to talk about what impacts MU. What if's are a waste of time.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 10:59:24 PM »
There were posters here that wanted Bruce Weber hired.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »
There never was a question about Malek's ability to play. It was his character that was a concern.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 08:24:11 AM »

Never meant to ignite a hairy situation or spark a debate.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
He was really smokin' that day, I heard.

Before, during or after the scrimmage?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:21 AM »

Which is exactly why losing to them in a closed door scrimmage hurts seeding.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback