'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: the "how did the Ellenson visit go?" thread  (Read 49751 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: the "how did the Ellenson visit go?" thread
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »
Hope we can land Ellenson.... Talked to a player on the team and they said he is the real deal "One and done real deal"

Thanks for the info from the inside.  Good to see you posting again Nevada!
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »
The more and more I think about Kentucky's roster, the less and less I think Henry will end up there. They have a probable starting lineup of:

An Harrison
Aa Harrison
Poythress
Cauley-Stein
Towns Jr.

That leaves 3 of their top 20 freshmen coming off the bench. Not to mention all the top 20 sophomores who were bench players last season. Maybe some of them will try to make the jump without starting, but I don't think many will. Of the starting 5, I only think the Harrison twins and Towns Jr. will be ready to go pro. I think Cauley-Stein and Poytress will be rare 4 year Wildcats. Throw in the top rated recruiting class that Kentucky is projected to pull in in 2015....Henry's situation would be very crowded.

If Henry is truly a one and done talent (big assumption...along with the other big assumptions I made in the previous paragraph  ;D) I think Marquette is the better situation for him.

As I said on another thread, elite talents don't necessarily think this way. If Henry believes in himself as much as others apparently do, he thinks he will be good enough to start wherever he goes, no matter who already is there. One could argue that if Henry is concerned about the in-house competition at Kentucky, he's not as great as everybody says.

It's not stretching it to say he could be convinced that his best path for 1-and-done (or even 2-and-done) is to practice against similarly outstanding talent every single day. We might like our potential roster at Marquette, but I think most of us would agree that Kentucky almost surely will have more elite, tall, athletic competition on the practice court.

Throw in the fact that Calipari obviously runs a 1-and-done factory - no coach in America can claim to put more players in the NBA after less time in college - and there are plenty of reasons Henry could choose Kentucky over Marquette if 1-and-doneness is an overriding factor.

Notice I said "could." Kentucky doesn't have his brother. Nor does Kentucky have his best friend (apparently Noskowiak). Nor does Kentucky have his mom and dad a relatively short car ride away. Those should be very significant advantages for MU-rah-rah, as no other school can provide them. Not even Kentucky.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:23:36 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »
As I said on another thread, elite talents don't necessarily think this way. If Henry believes in himself as much as others apparently do, he thinks he will be good enough to start wherever he goes, no matter who already is there. One could argue that if Henry is concerned about the in-house competition at Kentucky, he's not as great as everybody says.

It's not stretching it to say he could be convinced that his best path for 1-and-done (or even 2-and-done) is to practice against similarly outstanding talent every single day. We might like our potential roster at Marquette, but I think most of us would agree that Kentucky almost surely will have more elite, tall, athletic competition on the practice court.

Throw in the fact that Calipari obviously runs a 1-and-done factory - no coach in America can claim to put more players in the NBA after less time in college - and there is plenty of reasons Henry could choose Kentucky over Marquette if 1-and-doneness is an overriding factor.

Notice I said "could." Kentucky doesn't have his brother. Nor does Kentucky have his best friend (apparently Noskowiak). Nor does Kentucky have his mom and dad a relatively short car ride away. Those should be very significant advantages for MU-rah-rah, as no other school can provide them. Not even Kentucky.

I believe HE said he would like to play with NN, not that he is my BFF.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2014, 08:38:24 PM »
From Kentucky "insider":

"Coach Calipari is involved with a number of 4’s and 5’s in the 2015 class, including Power Forward Carlton Bragg who is considered to be leaning towards UK. I don’t see Ellenson committing to Kentucky if Bragg is coming, so that remains the biggest obstacle in place. No matter what Bragg does, I think Marquette still is the favorite to land Ellenson, but if Big Blue Madness really “wows” him and he decides to commit soon, I think the Wildcats have put themselves in a position to possibly steal this one."

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2014, 09:10:42 PM »
HE is more likely to be a Warrior than Jay Cutler throwing an interception when playing the Packers.

Wow - Pretty d#mn bullish!    :)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
I believe HE said he would like to play with NN, not that he is my BFF.

OK. That doesn't change the point of my statement.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »
From Kentucky "insider":

"Coach Calipari is involved with a number of 4’s and 5’s in the 2015 class, including Power Forward Carlton Bragg who is considered to be leaning towards UK. I don’t see Ellenson committing to Kentucky if Bragg is coming, so that remains the biggest obstacle in place. No matter what Bragg does, I think Marquette still is the favorite to land Ellenson, but if Big Blue Madness really “wows” him and he decides to commit soon, I think the Wildcats have put themselves in a position to possibly steal this one."

It really depends on what position he sees himself playing. A lot of posters here seem to think he is a 4-5, but I believe he sees himself as a three or maybe even a two. He wants the ability to room the court and pass the ball. That definitely does not sound like a five and it does not sound like a four either.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »
From Kentucky "insider":
"I think Marquette still is the favorite to land Ellenson, but if Big Blue Madness really “wows” him and he decides to commit soon, I think the Wildcats have put themselves in a position to possibly steal this one."

He's not wrong about this.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »
I appreciate everyones insight and opinions on King Henry. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks about this a lot.

I think I'm just super optimistic, and am thinking he commits to us around madness and skips his UK Visit! Happy Tuesday! :)
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »
I appreciate everyones insight and opinions on King Henry. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks about this a lot.

I think I'm just super optimistic, and am thinking he commits to us around madness and skips his UK Visit! Happy Tuesday! :)

Hope you're not holding your breath on this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2014, 09:05:42 AM »
Hope you're not holding your breath on this.

Yeah I'm thinking there's gonna be a whole hat ceremony type thing, the whole nine yards. If I had to guess, it'll happen shortly before the early signing period.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
From Kentucky "insider":

Here's the whole article: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/update-on-henry-ellenson-where-uk-stands/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Update on Henry Ellenson; Where UK Stands
By BrandonRamsey on ©6:40 pm Posted in BB Recruiting, Main | 4 Responses
HenryEllenson

When Coach Calipari extended a scholarship offer to Henry Ellenson back on July 13th I think many in Big Blue Nation had the same reaction as I did, “who?” For whatever reason, the 6’10’’, 230 pound Power Forward, was a relative unknown to me and I was surprised to learn that he was ranked as the #10 overall player in the 247 Composite Rankings. However, after watching his highlight video I quickly realized how good he was and also how badly I wanted UK to get him.

The Wisconsin native has long been considered a heavy Marquette lean. His brother, Wally, will be a junior for the Golden Eagles and Marquette is obviously close to home as well. In the middle of August though, when Ellenson cut his list to just three schools, Kentucky was included along with Marquette and Michigan State. Henry already took his official visits to Michigan State and Marquette, and he will be in Lexington for Big Blue Madness on October 17th.

ellenson

Marquette hosted Henry this past weekend and former Duke Assistant Coach Steve Wojciechowski pulled out all the stops for the talented big man. Milwaukee Bucks rookie and former Blue Devil Jabari Parker and former Marquette star Steve Novak happened to be on campus to see the prized hometown recruit. However, we know that no matter what Wojo and the Golden Eagles did for Ellenson, it will not compare to his experience at Big Blue Madness. Personally, I always like having the final visit with a recruit and hopefully a huge event like BBM leaves enough of an impression to land his services.

Coach Calipari is involved with a number of 4’s and 5’s in the 2015 class, including Power Forward Carlton Bragg who is considered to be leaning towards UK. I don’t see Ellenson committing to Kentucky if Bragg is coming, so that remains the biggest obstacle in place. No matter what Bragg does, I think Marquette still is the favorite to land Ellenson, but if Big Blue Madness really “wows” him and he decides to commit soon, I think the Wildcats have put themselves in a position to possibly steal this one.

Gotta love that UK arrogance....but he's right. Big Blue Madness is unlike anything else in the college basketball world.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2014, 09:28:06 AM »

Oh I agree with that. I would say most recruits would think they could dominate everyone. I hope that Ellenson's experience being a bench player for Team USA would humble him a little bit and help him understand that while he may be great, the Malik Newmans and Jaylen Browns of the world are better.

But the point I was trying to make is that I'm not convinced that HE has a solid offer at Kentucky. With only 1 "open" schollie and Charles Matthews already in tow, UK is dependent on their current stars going pro in order to open up spots for the new recruits. Looking at their roster, I think only 3-5 go pro. Cal is on literally all of the top 15 players. I think he wants to wait til the late signing period to see who he can get. Do you sign a Henry Ellenson if you think you might need that spot for a Malik Newman, Carlton Bragg, or Skal Labissiere later? He already got "burned" by Charles Matthews, a former top 10 recruit who has now fallen to barely top 50.
TAMU

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
Oh I agree with that. I would say most recruits would think they could dominate everyone. I hope that Ellenson's experience being a bench player for Team USA would humble him a little bit and help him understand that while he may be great, the Malik Newmans and Jaylen Browns of the world are better.

But the point I was trying to make is that I'm not convinced that HE has a solid offer at Kentucky. With only 1 "open" schollie and Charles Matthews already in tow, UK is dependent on their current stars going pro in order to open up spots for the new recruits. Looking at their roster, I think only 3-5 go pro. Cal is on literally all of the top 15 players. I think he wants to wait til the late signing period to see who he can get. Do you sign a Henry Ellenson if you think you might need that spot for a Malik Newman, Carlton Bragg, or Skal Labissiere later? He already got "burned" by Charles Matthews, a former top 10 recruit who has now fallen to barely top 50.

He got burned by Charles Matthews? Oh right...I'm sure Calipari cares about what a bunch of "experts" think of a player he signed.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »
Here's the whole article: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/update-on-henry-ellenson-where-uk-stands/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Gotta love that UK arrogance....but he's right. Big Blue Madness is unlike anything else in the college basketball world.

I disagree. There's nothing like a MU game at the Bradley Center. Sneaking in as many beers as you can fit in your winter coat, going straight to the top row where it's encouraged to party, being able to purchase beers once you're out of Busch Light, reentry if you're a cig smoker, and of coarse 3rd street after the games.

Now that is an experience like no other...at least from what I've seen.
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »

Great points, TAMU.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »

Yup. Kentucky fan BB arrogance is only surpassed by the No Dick ND overall fan arrogance. Now that would be a poll. Most arrogant: Ky. BB fans or ND fans? My money would be on ND.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »
Yup. Kentucky fan BB arrogance is only surpassed by the No Dick ND overall fan arrogance. Now that would be a poll. Most arrogant: Ky. BB fans or ND fans? My money would be on ND.

Yep.  I loved being in Lexington in '94 when we beat them to go to the S16.  By 12 points!!!!

ND, hands down.  There is no god in Lexington, and ND is God's team.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »
Wojo's philosophy for only going after the one stud, in this case Henry, seems OK, but the downside with that would be if he decides to go elsewhere, then we are likely too far behind to land another at that position. I guess that just proves how iffy the whole recruiting process is. Sure hope we land him.

Glad to see you acknowledging that the recruiting process is "iffy".
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »
Agreed, UK just provides a pleasant environment for the top-rated players to hang out for a year while they wait for the NBA.  That's nice for some players, but for Ellenson, it might be more desirable to play with his brother where their family can more easily attend games.

And don't forget Kentucky provides top pay, as well.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
He got burned by Charles Matthews? Oh right...I'm sure Calipari cares about what a bunch of "experts" think of a player he signed.

That's why I put "burned" in quotation marks. Any coach should be ecstatic to have a player like Charles Matthews. I have no idea what Cal thinks of him. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him Calipart with Matthews if it meant getting a player like Jaylen Brown instead.
TAMU

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
That's why I put "burned" in quotation marks. Any coach should be ecstatic to have a player like Charles Matthews. I have no idea what Cal thinks of him. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him Calipart with Matthews if it meant getting a player like Jaylen Brown instead.

We were in Matthews top 3 correct? If he did get Calicut I would like to see us put out hat back in the ring.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »
He isn't going to get "Calicut."  Coach Cal doesn't issue offers to whoever might be interested in UK and see what happens.  He offers people he wants.  He's going to land a large majority of them.  It's not like Marquette or Madison or whoever where you offer a lot of kids, some offers may be conditional, and you have fall back plans.  If Cal offers you, comes to your house, gets you in for BBM, and takes your verbal commitment, he wants you.  I don't know why people think that if Henry wanted to commit, there may be a chance he wouldn't.  We're either going to beat out UK and Cal or we're not.  It's not going to be because HE wasn't wanted at UK.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
He isn't going to get "Calicut."  Coach Cal doesn't issue offers to whoever might be interested in UK and see what happens.  He offers people he wants.  He's going to land a large majority of them.  It's not like Marquette or Madison or whoever where you offer a lot of kids, some offers may be conditional, and you have fall back plans.  If Cal offers you, comes to your house, gets you in for BBM, and takes your verbal commitment, he wants you.  I don't know why people think that if Henry wanted to commit, there may be a chance he wouldn't.  We're either going to beat out UK and Cal or we're not.  It's not going to be because HE wasn't wanted at UK.

If you think "Calicutting" has never happened, you are mistaken. Will it happen in this case? Probably not. But it has happened. And yes, if Cal takes your verbal he wants you at the time, but that's assuming he accepts the verbal. Cal intentionally waits on signing some kids so he can get a better idea of who's going pro and which recruits can he land.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »
If you think "Calicutting" has never happened, you are mistaken. Will it happen in this case? Probably not. But it has happened. And yes, if Cal takes your verbal he wants you at the time, but that's assuming he accepts the verbal. Cal intentionally waits on signing some kids so he can get a better idea of who's going pro and which recruits can he land.

I agree with the waiting to see who is going pro, but Cal is a very smart, calculated guy.  I think he has an idea of how many players he may be losing and how to find room for recruits he may want long, long before anybody realizes.