'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: the "how did the Ellenson visit go?" thread  (Read 49887 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: the "how did the Ellenson visit go?" thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
I saw a documentary on ice cream trucks and these guys don't have time to use the latrine so they keep a bucket inside their vehicle.

How you say, Lemon Dreamsicle?
About about a fudgesicle?

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
Hope we can land Ellenson.... Talked to a player on the team and they said he is the real deal "One and done real deal"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »
Hope we can land Ellenson.... Talked to a player on the team and they said he is the real deal "One and done real deal"

A little mock draft tidbits, Sam Decker 11th pick and Frank Kaminsky 23rd pick in 2015, and in 2016 Kevon Looney 18th pick and  Ellenson going 9th so there is some credence to
him being at MU for only one year.  If that is the case, he would have a better chance at MU, as playing time would be easier to get then Kentucky or even MSU.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
A little mock draft tidbits, Sam Decker 11th pick and Frank Kaminsky 23rd pick in 2015, and in 2016 Kevon Looney 18th pick and  Ellenson going 9th so there is some credence to
him being at MU for only one year.  If that is the case, he would have a better chance at MU, as playing time would be easier to get then Kentucky or even MSU.

I don't know about easier, but there is the question of who his teammates are....at Kentucky that could change before he gets there....should be relatively stable at MU.  He should know who'll be feeding him in the post at MU.  He's going to get playing time wherever he goes.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 03:08:16 PM »
Well said, I think the other thing we need to keep in mind is even though we've been conditioned by social media and just regular media, there is no timeline for a "response".  Ellenson might tweet something or he might not, neither scenario probably indicates how he felt.  I am more inclined to think some news will leak from campus.  With Wally on campus and in classes as well as the student body being bigger gossips than Blake Lively, I'd think we'd hear something from them before anything else.

Wojo's philosophy for only going after the one stud, in this case Henry, seems OK, but the downside with that would be if he decides to go elsewhere, then we are likely too far behind to land another at that position. I guess that just proves how iffy the whole recruiting process is. Sure hope we land him.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »
Wojo's philosophy for only going after the one stud, in this case Henry, seems OK, but the downside with that would be if he decides to go elsewhere, then we are likely too far behind to land another at that position. I guess that just proves how iffy the whole recruiting process is. Sure hope we land him.

I agree with your premise, but I don't know that this will be his "forever" policy.  I think this is a case of a once in a lifetime opportunity to land a top 5 kid, at a position of need, with a bunch of other talent around.  The risk reward is that you get Ellenson you are a top 10 team immediately.  If you don't get Ellenson, you have enough talent that you are likely a top 25 team and you have a scholarship for the following year.  Plus I have to think Wojo feels strongly that he can get him.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 03:45:26 PM »

I'm optimistic about our chances with Henry, but if he is in fact a 'one and done' talent and his intentions are to enter the draft after his freshman year, I can't help but worry that Calipari & Kentucky may have a more attractive blueprint.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 03:58:09 PM »
I'm optimistic about our chances with Henry, but if he is in fact a 'one and done' talent and his intentions are to enter the draft after his freshman year, I can't help but worry that Calipari & Kentucky may have a more attractive blueprint.

The more and more I think about Kentucky's roster, the less and less I think Henry will end up there. They have a probable starting lineup of:

An Harrison
Aa Harrison
Poythress
Cauley-Stein
Towns Jr.

That leaves 3 of their top 20 freshmen coming off the bench. Not to mention all the top 20 sophomores who were bench players last season. Maybe some of them will try to make the jump without starting, but I don't think many will. Of the starting 5, I only think the Harrison twins and Towns Jr. will be ready to go pro. I think Cauley-Stein and Poytress will be rare 4 year Wildcats. Throw in the top rated recruiting class that Kentucky is projected to pull in in 2015....Henry's situation would be very crowded.

If Henry is truly a one and done talent (big assumption...along with the other big assumptions I made in the previous paragraph  ;D) I think Marquette is the better situation for him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
While I doubt Henry will be in college for 4 years, I also wonder what his motivation would be to be a "one and done" player. There doesn't appear to be an economic reason for him to go into the NBA after one year, and he's said many times he wants to increase his skill set as much as possible. I think it would come down to where he feels he'll get the best skill development.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 04:29:57 PM »

It depends what you mean by more attractive. I think UK and Calipari get too much credit for the NBA success of their players. They turned UK into the kind of place where top talent is attracted by other means, then that top talent (on average) performed as expected and went on to the NBA, then they claimed that they turned those guys into NBA players. In other words, the value add for Kentucky is not necessarily improved NBA prospects over another high-level basketball school but a certain kind of pro experience for guys who aren't interested in the college experience. If you go to MU (and many other high-level programs at quality universities), you'll still have the opportunity to play high-level basketball and move on to the next level, and you'll also get one year of actual college, with learning, student interaction, dorms, cura personalis, all that. For some players, the UK version is preferred, but I suspect for others the actual college experience is actually more attractive.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 04:35:21 PM »
The more and more I think about Kentucky's roster, the less and less I think Henry will end up there. They have a probable starting lineup of:

An Harrison
Aa Harrison
Poythress
Cauley-Stein
Towns Jr.

That leaves 3 of their top 20 freshmen coming off the bench. Not to mention all the top 20 sophomores who were bench players last season. Maybe some of them will try to make the jump without starting, but I don't think many will. Of the starting 5, I only think the Harrison twins and Towns Jr. will be ready to go pro. I think Cauley-Stein and Poytress will be rare 4 year Wildcats. Throw in the top rated recruiting class that Kentucky is projected to pull in in 2015....Henry's situation would be very crowded.

If Henry is truly a one and done talent (big assumption...along with the other big assumptions I made in the previous paragraph  ;D) I think Marquette is the better situation for him.

So you really think no one leaves early? The Harrison brothers will be staying for their junior year?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »
Visit went well, not likely to be at MM on the 10th, it is Homecoming/ Fall Formal at RL HS that weekend. It was always the plan for HE to visit MSU, MU and KU so do not worry that he is going there.  (I posted this some weeks ago, saying why would you not take the opportunity to do that).  HE is more likely to be a Warrior than Jay Cutler throwing an interception when playing the Packers.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
Visit went well, not likely to be at MM on the 10th, it is Homecoming/ Fall Formal at RL HS that weekend. It was always the plan for HE to visit MSU, MU and KU so do not worry that he is going there.  (I posted this some weeks ago, saying why would you not take the opportunity to do that).  HE is more likely to be a Warrior than Jay Cutler throwing an interception when playing the Packers.

As much saltiness there is attached to the end of the post (that hurt, sir)...this is the reason I wanted to have this thread. Keepin the faith on this one, Big Daddy. Thanks for the heads up.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »

Love me some Cutty but that is a high level of confidence. Thanks BD.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »
So you really think no one leaves early? The Harrison brothers will be staying for their junior year?

That's not what I said. I said the Harrison twins and Towns Jr. will go pro. Everyone else I think stays. Unless someone else has a breakout performance
TAMU

chapman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2014, 05:20:32 PM »
Heard they didn't have rocky road, so he had to settle for chocolate chip.  Doesn't bode well for our chances.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »
It depends what you mean by more attractive. I think UK and Calipari get too much credit for the NBA success of their players. They turned UK into the kind of place where top talent is attracted by other means, then that top talent (on average) performed as expected and went on to the NBA, then they claimed that they turned those guys into NBA players. In other words, the value add for Kentucky is not necessarily improved NBA prospects over another high-level basketball school but a certain kind of pro experience for guys who aren't interested in the college experience. If you go to MU (and many other high-level programs at quality universities), you'll still have the opportunity to play high-level basketball and move on to the next level, and you'll also get one year of actual college, with learning, student interaction, dorms, cura personalis, all that. For some players, the UK version is preferred, but I suspect for others the actual college experience is actually more attractive.

Agreed, UK just provides a pleasant environment for the top-rated players to hang out for a year while they wait for the NBA.  That's nice for some players, but for Ellenson, it might be more desirable to play with his brother where their family can more easily attend games.

brandx

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 05:48:02 PM »
That's not what I said. I said the Harrison twins and Towns Jr. will go pro. Everyone else I think stays. Unless someone else has a breakout performance

I think Cauley-Stein goes as well. Probably would have last year without the injury.

Would also like to hear from Freeport or JayBee regarding one-and-done. I think HE is more likely to be here 2-3 years than just one.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »

I am sure that there will be a couple guys? from Scoop that will be at the RL Fall Formal to report on what Henry is up to. And there will be a couple more guys? monitoring the tweets to see what is going on. I...personally will be programming Keefe's spydrone to be there to report back.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »

I have never been more sure of anything in my life than I now am that HE is coming to Marquette.  Thank you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2014, 06:18:01 PM »
HE is more likely to be a Warrior than Jay Cutler throwing an interception when playing the Packers.

100% stone cold lock then?  Nice!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »
I think Cauley-Stein goes as well. Probably would have last year without the injury.

He certainly has the talent and the body. I just think Towns Jr. will take points and rebounds away from WCS. Also, if WCS starts, it will be at the four which is out of position for him.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »
HE is more likely to be a Warrior than Jay Cutler throwing an interception when playing the Packers.

That's a statement even more confident than Done Deal!
TAMU

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 07:17:51 PM »

I think folks are misreading your post (I did initially).  I think you mean that the twins and Cauley-Stein will leave after the upcoming season, leaving last year's freshmen and this year's incoming class fighting for those spots.  I initially read it that they would leave a year later. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 07:42:15 PM »
Agree with what you got here, except. 
I would guess that there are conversations between MU and other players.  Just keeping it quiet and not cycling players out ever weekend.  If this is the case, then they are doing a really good job of it.

Then it's time to send in the bloodhound, Mike Hunt.
SS Marquette

feedback