[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: the "how did the Ellenson visit go?" thread  (Read 49746 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
the "how did the Ellenson visit go?" thread
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:59:44 AM »
The place to post any updates about how the visit went, including but not limited to photos, twitter feeds, articles and/or reports.

I don't really care who derailed whatever thread, so don't come in and point fingers. This is strictly for information and related conjecture. The onky dalliance i will allow are those debating whether or not he was spotted wearing Sperrys.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: the "how did the Ellenson visit go?" thread
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
The place to post any updates about how the visit went, including but not limited to photos, twitter feeds, articles and/or reports.

I don't really care who derailed whatever thread, so don't come in and point fingers. This is strictly for information and related conjecture. The onky dalliance i will allow are those debating whether or not he was spotted wearing Sperrys.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:05:57 AM »
Twitterwatch2k14: no new updates. He hasn't said his visit went well like he did about Michigan St. Are we doomed forever?

JakeBarnes

• All American

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »

One of the great Call Signs was a Viper Driver with the last name Poynter. Call Sign, "Fynger"

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
Keefe

Good to see you back. Great dinner at Vabene a couple of weeks and we saluted you over cocktails.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »
Keefe

Good to see you back. Great dinner at Vabene a couple of weeks and we saluted you over cocktails.

Cheers, Joe. After dinner Grappas?

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »
Jake, did this go about how you expected?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »
LOL...I actually did Grappa in your honor

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »
Jake, did this go about how you expected?

Pretty much. But lacking the 1-2 posts of actual information

onepost

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
(Thank you for this, but my guess is by the end of page 2 we'll hear about someone's wife)
A couple of things from my perspective:

First and foremost I think we sit in a VERY favorable spot for Henry (not that this is news but I'm optimistic).
One thing that no one has really mentioned is that our coaching staff has literally seen no one else in the Class of 2015 besides Cheatham and Henry.  If you look around and hear about coaching staffs making visit after visit and starting to get in touch with random guys out of the blue, to me that's kinda red flag.  Take Creighton for example (born and raised in Omaha so still keep up with their stuff, but rest assured, have 100% switched allegiances to MU).  They were/are in on fantastic top recruits like Matt McQuaid/Chris Clarke, but even after hosting them both to on-campus visits, they went out and saw other SGs/PG like Jalen Poyser, Noah Blackwell, and Marlon Stewart (the latter of whom they signed after he quickly visited) and have now offered Isaiah Roby, a SF from IL.  McQuaid committed to MSU and Clarke seems to have schools like UCONN and VT in the lead.

Now I understand Creighton currently has more scholarships to fill than us, but the fact that the coaching staff went out and immediately visited and offered guys who play similar positions as a couple of their stud possibilities looks to me like they aren't as confident in their chances.  Feel free to challenge that, I'm more than open to hearing the other side.  But our staff had 2 goals: Haanif and Henry.  Once Haanif committed it was all-in on Henry and he is the only recruit they've gone after.  No Davon Dillard, no one else from all I've read.  He was the very first guy Wojo saw in the contact period and that's it.  So the staff, I would think, also feels they sit in a great spot for Henry's services (and after talking to my manager buddy, that seems to be correct) since they aren't going out and contacting a number of other recruits.  Also, you're dealing with guys who have been told their whole life how awesome they are at bball.  That they're the best ones in the gym.  So I think it does mean something when Henry knows he's option A, B, C, and D here at Marquette to Wojo.  Whereas at UK he's much further down the list of priority and at MSU he's behind Caleb Swanigan since they already have Deyonta Davis.  To me, that has always been a great source of optimism.

Second, and this feels goofy to even have to say, but the fact that Henry didn't immediately come out and say "Had a great visit to Marquette this weekend" on Sunday night is GREAT news to me.  If he were to tweet something basic like that, it'd look like he walked away from his time at MU feeling the same as he did at MSU, and I'd hope that with the Wally connection, Nick, Duane connections, great relationship with Wojo, getting his sister involved with stuff like the ice cream truck, getting to play not only with the team but also with guys like Jabari and Novak, that that wouldn't be the case.  He may come out and say something similar in the coming days so not to tip his hand, but from where I sit, I feel great about our chances.  But when going up against stellar programs nothing is a given.

End of rant.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:48:47 AM by onepostellenson »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »
(Thank you for this, but my guess is by the end of page 2 we'll hear about someone's wife)

First and foremost I think we sit in a VERY favorable spot for Henry (not that this is news but I'm optimistic).
One thing that no one has really mentioned is that our coaching staff has literally seen no one else in the Class of 2015 besides Cheatham and Henry.  If you look around and hear about coaching staffs making visit after visit and starting to get in touch with random guys out of the blue, to me that's kinda red flag.  Take Creighton for example (born and raised in Omaha so still keep up with their stuff, but rest assured, have 100% switched allegiances to MU).  They were/are in on fantastic top recruits like Matt McQuaid/Chris Clarke, but even after hosting them both to on-campus visits, they went out and saw other SGs/PG like Jalen Poyser, Noah Blackwell, and Marlon Stewart (the latter of whom they signed after he quickly visited).  McQuaid committed to MSU and Clarke seems to have schools like UCONN and VT in the lead.

Now I understand Creighton currently has more scholarships to fill than us, Clarke plays SF, but the fact that the coaching staff went out and immediately visited guys who play similar positions as a couple of their stud possibilities looks to me like they aren't as confident in their chances.  Feel free to challenge that, I'm more than open to hearing the other side.  But our staff had 2 goals: Haanif and Henry.  Once Haanif committed it was all-in on Henry and he is the only recruit they've gone after.  No Davon Dillard, no one else from all I've read.  He was the very first guy Wojo saw in the contact period and that's it.  So the staff, I would think, also feels they sit in a great spot for Henry's services (and after talking to my manager buddy, that seems to be correct) since they aren't going out and contacting a number of other recruits.  To me, that has always been a great source of optimism.

Second, and this feels goofy to even have to say, but the fact that Henry didn't immediately come out and say "Had a great visit to Marquette this weekend" on Sunday night is GREAT news to me.  If he were to tweet something basic like that, it'd look like he walked away from his time at MU feeling the same as he did at MSU, and I'd hope that with the Wally connection, Nick, Duane connections, great relationship with Wojo, getting his sister involved with stuff like the ice cream truck, getting to play not only with the team but also with guys like Jabari and Novak, that that wouldn't be the case.  He may come out and say something similar in the coming days so not to tip his hand, but from where I sit, I feel great about our chances.  But when going up against stellar programs nothing is a given.

End of rant.

Well said, I think the other thing we need to keep in mind is even though we've been conditioned by social media and just regular media, there is no timeline for a "response".  Ellenson might tweet something or he might not, neither scenario probably indicates how he felt.  I am more inclined to think some news will leak from campus.  With Wally on campus and in classes as well as the student body being bigger gossips than Blake Lively, I'd think we'd hear something from them before anything else.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »
There was a Tweet about both Jabari Parker and Steve Novak being at the Al over the weekend.  And DuWil tweeted about seeing "The equalizer" with a bunch of the team, Henry and Nick N.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »
There was a Tweet about both Jabari Parker and Steve Novak being at the Al over the weekend.  And DuWil tweeted about seeing "The equalizer" with a bunch of the team, Henry and Nick N.

If anyone can recruit, it's Denzel.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 12:41:22 PM »
If anyone can recruit, it's Denzel.

King Kong ain't got s$%t on Wojo!!

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
*snip*
End of rant.

Agree with what you got here, except. 
I would guess that there are conversations between MU and other players.  Just keeping it quiet and not cycling players out ever weekend.  If this is the case, then they are doing a really good job of it.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
I still feel really good about our chances. If he can make it past Oct. 18 without a commit to UK, I think he is ours.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »
"getting his sister involved in stuff like the ice cream truck..." ?  sorry if i missed something, but that sounds kinda nasty.  i always tried to keep my kids away from that as ya never know who's behind the wheel. :o
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »
"getting his sister involved in stuff like the ice cream truck..." ?  sorry if i missed something, but that sounds kinda nasty.  i always tried to keep my kids away from that as ya never know who's behind the wheel. :o

I saw a documentary on ice cream trucks and these guys don't have time to use the latrine so they keep a bucket inside their vehicle.

How you say, Lemon Dreamsicle?

Death on call

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 01:25:49 PM »
I saw a documentary on ice cream trucks and these guys don't have time to use the latrine so they keep a bucket inside their vehicle.

How you say, Lemon Dreamsicle?
That's some hard hittin' stuff right there. Let me guess Bravo at 3:00 a.m.?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
That's some hard hittin' stuff right there. Let me guess Bravo at 3:00 a.m.?

Actually, it was a local news piece. If they didn't get a Pulitzer for that then I don't know what should. Funnily enough, it was a source of humor in our hangar the next day.

Death on call

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 01:49:50 PM »
Actually, it was a local news piece. If they didn't get a Pulitzer for that then I don't know what should. Funnily enough, it was a source of humor in our hangar the next day.

Good Humor?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »
want a popsicle??
don't...don't don't don't don't

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
Ah, now that makes sense.

feedback