collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Found: The Oldest Bar In Every State - the History's Even Better Than the Booze!  (Read 4227 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
A saw this fun topic this morning.  See link for the list and summary on each place.
I've been to four of the places - Connecticut, Vermont, Washington D.C. & Georgia.
The Uptowner in Milwaukee is the oldest in Wisconsin.
Enjoy.

Found: The Oldest Bar In Every State - the History's Even Better Than the Booze!

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-oldest-bar-in-every-state-in-america-98176755662.html

By Matt Meltzer

Because you love drinking, you love history, and of course, you love the history of drinking, we’ve tracked down the oldest bar, tavern, or pub in each of the 50 states… and Washington, D.C.

Now obviously, tracing bars through time is an admittedly inaccurate science, especially in a country that once banned booze. Some bars opened, closed, and reopened again years later; some burned down and were rebuilt; others moved buildings, changed names, turned into post offices, or stopped serving alcohol altogether. And still others, amazingly, remain the longest, continuous-running, liquor-pouring establishments in their great states, having weathered Prohibition by peddling turkey sandwiches and O’Doul’s.

While records are scarce, debate fierce, and the laughter we received when calling state historical societies very real (not to mention, slightly hurtful. Come on, we’re just asking a question!), in the end these 51 bars can — to the best of our research — lay at least some claim to the title of the state’s oldest watering hole.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
I've been to:
Jean Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop — New Orleans
Neumann’s Bar — North St. Paul
Tavern in Old Salem — Salem
Buffalo Bodega Bar — Deadwood
The Uptowner — Milwaukee

I guess since it's currently closed the Landmark 1850 doesn't make the list

(also props to Nelsen’s Bitters Pub is the oldest continuously operating bar in Wisconsin on Washington Island)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
The White Horse in Newport is definitely worth a visit. We were doing something at the Naval War College and ended up at the White Horse on a night where they had unlimited shots for $5. The next day was brutal.

Death on call

muhoosier260

• All American
The White House in bayview has some distinction....maybe oldest continually operating bar in Wisconsin, something like that. Awesome place.

http://www.historicwhitehousetavern.com/index.html

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
The New Mexico listing is incorrect. The oldest bar in the state is El Farol on Canyon Road in Santa Fe.The building has housed a bar for more than 150 years. El Farol has a great menu, too, by the way. It is a must stop if ever in SFNM.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
One of my favorites is McSorley's, the oldest in New York City (not New York state).  Your choice is either "light" or "dark".  Even the urinals look like they're from the late 1800's/early 1900's also.   

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Even the urinals look like they're from the late 1800's/early 1900's also.   

Hegarty's??

Death on call

Hards Alumni

• All American
One of my favorites is McSorley's, the oldest in New York City (not New York state).  Your choice is either "light" or "dark".  Even the urinals look like they're from the late 1800's/early 1900's also.   

agree, fantastic place.  The wishbones on the lamp over the bar is chilling.

Also, there is no way that the oldest bar in WI opened in 1884.  That is the STUPIDEST thing I have heard all month.

State Street Warrior

• Starter
I've been to:
Jean Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop — New Orleans
Neumann’s Bar — North St. Paul
Tavern in Old Salem — Salem
Buffalo Bodega Bar — Deadwood
The Uptowner — Milwaukee

I guess since it's currently closed the Landmark 1850 doesn't make the list

(also props to Nelsen’s Bitters Pub is the oldest continuously operating bar in Wisconsin on Washington Island)

Landmark 1850 is open again, unless I missed something in the last year.

Benny B

• All American

If your choice is "dark," do you get whacked in the back of the head with a hockey stick?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
If your choice is "dark," do you get whacked in the back of the head with a hockey stick?

McSorley's Old Ale House
http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/home.html

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
McSorley's Old Ale House
http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/home.html

Weak! That's not a proper bar if they only sell ale and no booze!

(not to mention that their brew is made by Pabst, er, I guess that means MillerCoors)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:11:45 PM by William of Lading »

🏀

• All American

(not to mention that their brew is made by Pabst, er, I guess that means MillerCoors)

Er..., Russians...

mu-rara

• All American

Excellent Choice.  Picture of Al on the wall.

Took my Marquette friends there during NIT Final 4 in '95.  One of the guys walks in b*tching about the smell, walks out loving the joint. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
NIT Final 4  

These words do not pair well. Chalk and cheese. Walk of Shame.

Death on call

mu-rara

• All American
These words do not pair well. Chalk and cheese. Walk of Shame.

For what it's worth, the trip to McSorley's was the highlight of the trip.  Drinking with college friends cannot be underestimated.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
For what it's worth, the trip to McSorley's was the highlight of the trip.  Drinking with college friends cannot be underestimated.

It was long train ride back to Connecticut after losing that NIT final.

mu-rara

• All American
It was long train ride back to Connecticut after losing that NIT final.
ditto out to New Jersey.

feedback