[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Historical Mascot Question  (Read 11831 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Historical Mascot Question
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
Man, November can't get here fast enough for this board.  Even I was surprised how quickly this thread went off the rails given that it was mascot/nickname related. 

Great thing about this board, never know exactly what direction threads will derail because this one went a completely different direction than anticipated.

Give Chicos some credit... even though he was the one who initially steered the thread off course, he was the one who righted the ship (no pun intended).

The question is why he took it off course to begin with.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/e/Z8_Y_1w4Lk0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/e/Z8_Y_1w4Lk0</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

anubis266

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 12:01:36 PM »
Thanks Chicos! I hadn't seen that specific article. It's very thorough, and the fact that they didn't mention an actual mascot before the warrior pretty much solidifies that they never had one. Just nicknames.

My understanding is that Hilltoppers has been the across-the-board name from the start, while yes, Golden Avalanche was just used for the football team. Apparently, their helmets were all gold and when they stormed the field, a newspaper reporter claimed it "looked like a golden avalanche".

As for my project, it basically boiled down to this. My grandfather collected hand-carved wooden statues of mascots that were sold in school bookstores between 1948-1952 and I've always liked their look. As a Big East fan, I was hoping to get a local woodcarver to make me a set of the current conference teams, and I wanted to make all of the statues have that vintage feel using depictions of what they would've looked like in the late 40's etc. I found a catalog from the original company that made these things, but it had no pictures, just listings of their items. They sold a Marquette Golden Avalanche statue, I just can't imagine what it was a carving of.

So that's the reasoning behind this question. Thanks for all the help! It took awhile to get there, but I appreciate the responses.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
Oh wow, willie, wow. You go have fun living in your right-wing talk radio bubble that has no grasp on reality.
Now that...is a great defense of CNN and MSNBC. And you have no clue of what radio talk shows I might listen too. But I certainly can guess from your comments about "right wing" what wing you believe in.

And to quote the great Berenger/Barnes, "You talk about reality...I am reality"

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »
Now that...is a great defense of CNN and MSNBC. And you have no clue of what radio talk shows I might listen too. But I certainly can guess from your comments about "right wing" what wing you believe in.

And to quote the great Berenger/Barnes, "You talk about reality...I am reality"

I'll bite...what news media DO you consume? Radio, TV, otherwise?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »
I'll bite...what news media DO you consume? Radio, TV, otherwise?

INFOWARS!!! Wake up sheeple!!!
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 09:47:37 PM »
Those to whom I listen  speak the truth. Those who speak to your convictions spew lies

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 07:39:22 AM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 02:20:27 PM »
Does Marquette have a Mascot? ::)

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 02:25:15 PM »
Now that I think about it, I'd rather have no mascot than that thing with the big pecker on it's face!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 02:31:37 PM »
Now that I think about it, I'd rather have no mascot than that thing with the big pecker on it's face!!

So many things that could be said....so little time....

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 05:09:49 PM »
This yearbook photo from '46 shows that we did actually have a mascot prior to "Chief White Buck" in 1954.  His nickname was "Extremely White Buck".  Not sure I'd want a wood carving of that, though.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 01:54:15 PM by The Love House of Ellenson »