[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: President Lovell Welcome Event  (Read 4975 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
President Lovell Welcome Event
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
I saw a few events listed out here on the East Coast they may be of interest to alums.

http://muconnect.marquette.edu/Page.aspx?pid=533&cid=7&ceid=1393&cerid=0&cdt=10%2f28%2f2014

President Lovell Welcome Event

Tuesday, October 28, 2014, 6:00pm - 7:30pm at New York Athletic Club

THE JOURNEY CONTINUES IN NEW YORK

You are invited to a special event introducing

Dr. Michael R. Lovell
24th president of Marquette University

Tuesday, Oct. 28

6:00 p.m. Reception
6:45 p.m. President's Remarks

New York Athletic Club
Presidents Room, 10th Floor
180 Central Park South
New York

Complimentary hors d'oeuvres and hosted bar (beer, wine and soft drinks) available

Please respond by Tuesday, Oct. 21.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: President Lovell Welcome Event
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »
Yep.  He's got those scheduled all over the country.

I am going to the one in Chicago next week.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 03:47:42 PM »
Maybe just take a rain check, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
I just hope Jen doesn't introduce President Glover.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »
I just hope Jen doesn't introduce President Glover.

+1
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 04:04:32 PM »
Hmm, I don't see one scheduled for Whitefish Bay.  Must be a mistake.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 10:29:42 PM »
Awesome event.  Acoustics were excellent.  ;D

Biggest new takeaways:

1.  President Glover loves Real Chili.
2.  Favorite musical acts:  New Order and The Killers
3.  There are no plans for the new land on Michigan as of yet.

But the most exciting news (IMO): The coalition he has put together to revitalize Avenues West.  Marquette, Harley Davidson, Miller Coors, Potawatomi, and other businesses in the area are devising a plan for housing, grocery stores, entertainment etc.  The goal is to have an area attractive enough that professional-level employees of these  companies move in and are able to walk to work.  If they can pull it off, it could completely transform the neighborhood Marquette calls home.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:15:33 PM by Ellensonchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »

Biggest new takeaways:

3.  There are no plans for the new land on as of yet.

But the most exciting news (IMO): The coalition he has put together to revitalize Avenues West.  Marquette, Harley Davidson, Miller Coors, Potawatomi, and other businesses in the area are devising a plan for housing, grocery stores, entertainment etc.  The goal is to have an area attractive enough that professional-level employees of these  companies move in and are able to walk to work.  If they can pull it off, it could completely transform the neighborhood Marquette calls home.
That's a tall order but would be awesome if even moderately successful.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 05:50:47 AM »

Yes, but if you want to transform a neighborhood, this is how it is done.  Government/city efforts never work are just disguised ways to let campaign donors steal money.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 10:40:53 AM »
One more thing.  Lovell says he wants Marquette to become the top Jesuit university in the U.S.

Watch out, Georgetown!
Have some patience, FFS.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »

I agree.  Those 4 major entities listed have enough resources to make things happen though, I believe.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »
Any cat fights?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 12:43:08 PM »
All they need to do is start a credit union that gives MU grads and professional employees at those companies low rates on loans for homes and businesses in the area.

Is it against the Marquette mission, though, to gentrify that entire neighborhood? Gonna be a lot of needy people that are going to feel like they're getting kicked out.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »

Is it against the Marquette mission, though, to gentrify that entire neighborhood? Gonna be a lot of needy people that are going to feel like they're getting kicked out.

I would imagine that a project like that would have housing available at a variety of price points.  Maybe no Section 8 stuff, but livable entry-level places that people with  decent jobs (which a project like that would bring to the area) could afford.  I don't think the intent is to make it Third Ward - West.  The driving force behind this initiative is Marquette's desire to make the area a safer place, not the desire to knock everything down and put up million-dollar condos.

I failed to mention that another employer that is participating is Aurora Sinai Hospital.

You know who else should get in on this (to the extent that they can) is Marquette High.  The area it is in is even worse, and even though it's an excellent school, I wouldn't be shocked to hear that its location affects some parents' enrollment decisions.
Have some patience, FFS.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 02:14:31 PM »

Biggest new takeaways:

3.  There are no plans for the new land on Michigan as of yet.

Can someone provide some context of 'Avenues West'? What area does this span?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 02:29:44 PM »
Can someone provide some context of 'Avenues West'? What area does this span?

From neighborhood maps I've seen, Avenues West goes from about 10th Street on the east to 35th street on the west, and from The Valley on the South to Juneau on the North. I don't think it means that this group is going to feel restricted by any boundary lines, or that they have to deal with the entire area.  "Avenues West" is just shorthand.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 02:40:46 PM »
From neighborhood maps I've seen, Avenues West goes from about 10th Street on the east to 35th street on the west, and from The Valley on the South to Juneau on the North. I don't think it means that this group is going to feel restricted by any boundary lines, or that they have to deal with the entire area.  "Avenues West" is just shorthand.

If that was an intentional replication of the "Pray" video then well done. If not, then that video has been engraved in your mind that you sub-consciously use the phrasing.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 02:41:22 PM »
All they need to do is start a credit union that gives MU grads and professional employees at those companies low rates on loans for homes and businesses in the area.

Yup, I just hate it when neighborhoods get cleaner, safer, and nicer.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
Yup, I just hate it when neighborhoods get cleaner, safer, and nicer.

Really not that bad of a neighborhood. I dunno, maybe im just used to it from living in Chicago my entire life but I laugh everytime some kid says they feel unsafe at Marquette. Thinking about it now Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they havent lived in a big city but in all honesty the neighborhood isnt bad at all.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
If that was an intentional replication of the "Pray" video then well done. If not, then that video has been engraved in your mind that you sub-consciously use the phrasing.

Haha, no, I actually looked at some maps.

Although you gave me some ideas of how they could update the "Pray" video with some of the coalition members.  Probably too politically incorrect, though.
Have some patience, FFS.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »

There didn't seem to be any negative media attention or negative reaction when MU kicked all the non-MU people out of the YMCA to make it dorm...
Seriously, the change would be so slow and incremental that I can't see any real push back for an undertaking this large.  And, as mentioned, based upon the size of the area, it would hit a lot of different price points so that it ends up being a culturally diverse and economically diverse area. It would be great for people that work downtown as well as these companies.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 07:24:19 AM »
Yes, but if you want to transform a neighborhood, this is how it is done.  Government/city efforts never work are just disguised ways to let campaign donors steal money.

It worked here in New Haven.  Yale has had a program like this for 20 years. 

http://www.yale.edu/hronline/hbuyer/hbuyworks.htm

It helped that simultaneously over the same timeframe, the mayor of New Haven slowly rebuilt/remodeled all the schools in the city and also Yale & the city were rebuilding the empty boarded-up building parts one block at a time.

feedback