'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Which player do you feel will be our biggest surprise player?  Defined as the player who most exceeds expectations for them given their historical MU career to this point.

Steve Taylor
40 (25.2%)
Duane Wilson
32 (20.1%)
Juan Anderson
14 (8.8%)
John Dawson
4 (2.5%)
Derrick Wilson
27 (17%)
JJJ
42 (26.4%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Voting closed: October 02, 2014, 10:35:02 PM

Author Topic: Biggest Surprise Player 2014-2015?  (Read 15586 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Biggest Surprise Player 2014-2015?
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
It could be any of about three guys who were shicecanned by the Hillbilly last year: JJJ, Taylor, Du. Wilson.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »
Or similar to last season, everyone will underachieve (more or less) and we will struggle to break 0.500. 

I still tend to believe last year's poor performance was the result of awful coaching, more than it was actual underachievement from the players at the individual level.  Almost nobody had a defined/predictable role.  There was no method to the madness.

I feel that for as disappointing as last year was, this year's team has a good chance to surprise all of us on the positive (as much as last year's team disappointed to the negative.)  I see a 20 win team, that gets better and really gelling by mid February...and make some noise in Big East tourney...which I think will be enough to get the team in NCAA.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 12:58:18 PM »
It could be any of about three guys who were shicecanned by the Hillbilly last year: JJJ, Taylor, Du. Wilson.

I looked up the word shicecanned on google, wondering if it was just something I had never heard of. Your last post was LITERALLY the only result. I don't think that has ever happened to me before. Well done sir
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »

Damn that Buzz...getting Taylor and Duane hurt and all!!!

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 01:01:53 PM »
I am convinced with proper playing time and rotations JJJ will set the world on fire this year. I like the spirit he brings and I think he creates a lot of things with his anticipation on defense.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »
I hope you're right.   I love pyromaniacs. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 01:23:08 PM »
I looked up the word shicecanned on google, wondering if it was just something I had never heard of. Your last post was LITERALLY the only result. I don't think that has ever happened to me before. Well done sir

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googlewhack

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 05:14:29 PM »
I still tend to believe last year's poor performance was the result of awful coaching, more than it was actual underachievement from the players at the individual level.  Almost nobody had a defined/predictable role.  There was no method to the madness.

I feel that for as disappointing as last year was, this year's team has a good chance to surprise all of us on the positive (as much as last year's team disappointed to the negative.)  I see a 20 win team, that gets better and really gelling by mid February...and make some noise in Big East tourney...which I think will be enough to get the team in NCAA.
Completely agree.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »
Here you go TAMU. Always looking to provide educational tutorials to those involved in collegiate education.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Shice

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »

Damn that Buzz...getting Taylor and Duane hurt and all!!!
Still like the Ostrich with the head in the sand. We could have Duane for the second half but he was forced to redshirt, so Buzz could play his butt boy, the elite one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 05:54:43 PM »
Still like the Ostrich with the head in the sand. We could have Duane for the second half but he was forced to redshirt, so Buzz could play his butt boy, the elite one.

You won't be complaining when Duane is here in four years.
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
Man, you holier than thou guys never quit. If we had him for the second half of last year, we could have won a few more games. Of course, that is speculation, just as your comment is. The point is, your boy Buzz was a douche, which you will never acknowledge. In fact, I'm guessing you have VT's basketball page on you favorites.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »

I'll have what your drinkin'!

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2014, 06:42:09 PM »
Man, you holier than thou guys never quit. If we had him for the second half of last year, we could have won a few more games. Of course, that is speculation, just as your comment is. The point is, your boy Buzz was a douche, which you will never acknowledge. In fact, I'm guessing you have VT's basketball page on you favorites.

Wow.

If Duane had not redshirted, Buzz would still have to play him.  Who knows how many minutes a recovering from injured Duane would have received last year between him, Derrick, and John.  On top of that, what would the difference have been?  A few more wins? Like 3?  So we go to maybe a NIT team???

I'll take the full extra year of Duane Wilson than maybe making the NIT.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2014, 08:09:57 PM »
Wow.

If Duane had not redshirted, Buzz would still have to play him.  Who knows how many minutes a recovering from injured Duane would have received last year between him, Derrick, and John.  On top of that, what would the difference have been?  A few more wins? Like 3?  So we go to maybe a NIT team???

He is a hell of a lot better than the elite one, and would have helped last year, but El Stubborn one was the hold back. But continue to thank Buzz for that bold move, if that is your pleasure.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
Wow.

I thought going in to last season that Duane would be the starting PG.   If he had been healthy ALL YEAR, the overall arc of the year might have been different.   But I completely get why Buzz suggested that he red-shirt.   I also think this, as well as Buzz's suggestions to STjr and McKay that they redshirt, is evidence that Buzz has not checked out on MU until after the season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 10:49:26 PM »
I thought going in to last season that Duane would be the starting PG.   If he had been healthy ALL YEAR, the overall arc of the year might have been different.   But I completely get why Buzz suggested that he red-shirt.   I also think this, as well as Buzz's suggestions to STjr and McKay that they redshirt, is evidence that Buzz has not checked out on MU until after the season.

Buzz checked out roughly early January.  Once he won the power struggle with Larry, but then realized that he wasn't going to get his way on everything he wanted from Cords/Wild - his way of handling it was to essentially pout.  On top of that the first whispers of criticism from our fanbase arrived in Mid December/early January, and that got through his thin skin.  The irony of Buzz was that he preached and preached and preached about toughness and character, yet in the end showed he wasn't very tough (in the way of having a thick skin), nor did he have a lot of character in that at the first sign of adversity, he bailed.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »

And if we hadn't wasted Junior's freshman season, we would have had him last season and would have won even more games. Coach's jobs are to think about what's best for the program long term, not just immediate fixes.

And no, I don't have VT basketball on my favorites. I have no link to the VT program. I bet you do. Gotta check up on your boy. The fact that you are still hung up on him is only feeding his ego.
TAMU

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2014, 06:02:49 AM »
Oh yes he will. 

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2014, 07:31:29 AM »
He is a hell of a lot better than the elite one, and would have helped last year, but El Stubborn one was the hold back. But continue to thank Buzz for that bold move, if that is your pleasure.

Yeah, please find where I have supported Buzz's moves at the PG position from last year.

Is Duane a "hell of a lot better"???  I think so, I would hope so, but I haven't seen him play one second of college bball.  Again, I'll take a whole extra year of Duane Wilson playing point than him playing limited minutes for half a season and maybe making the NIT.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2014, 07:43:42 AM »
Yeah, please find where I have supported Buzz's moves at the PG position from last year.

Is Duane a "hell of a lot better"???  I think so, I would hope so, but I haven't seen him play one second of college bball.  Again, I'll take a whole extra year of Duane Wilson playing point than him playing limited minutes for half a season and maybe making the NIT.
OK. Now we all need to cue up for the argument that Buzz knew best because he saw these guys everyday in practice; also for In Buzz we trust; and the hackneyed argument that Buzz played the best players to win. All tried and true defenses that we all saw how they worked out last year.

In Buzz we trusted.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 07:46:48 AM »
Amazing that the slurpers still defend the stubborn downhome lonesome phony cowboy. Could some of these been regulars at the Blue and Gold Williams mansion?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 08:10:34 AM »
Amazing that the slurpers still defend the stubborn downhome lonesome phony cowboy. Could some of these been regulars at the Blue and Gold Williams mansion?

So in your opinion, was Junior's freshman year well spent after he didn't take a redshirt? Was it worth not having him last season? Because I think many would agree that if we had Junior last year, we might have been a tournament team.

There are many solid criticisms of Buzz. Benching JJJ/Taylor, overusing Derrick, taking Burton out in the Xavier game, the alleged sexual assualts, the McIlvaine interview, the DJ Newbill situation, his alleged refusal to flush his own dookies. Redshirtting Duane is not one of them. I'm gonna be ecstatic that he is suiting up for us in the 17-18 season. I think you will be too, if you look at it objectively. If things shake out with Henry (and he doesn't go pro) that starting lineup will be Noskowiak, Duane, Cohen, Levin, and Henry all as upperclassmen. With Cheathem, Heldt, Flory and whatever 2016 and 2017 kids we scrounge up coming off the bench. That is a final four caliber team right there. Isn't that more important than making the NIT last season?
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 08:51:42 AM »

Buzz didn't force Duane to redshirt.  And honestly, I bet Duane is happy that he redshirted at this point.

And why don't you go take another sabbatical from here and head on over to the VPI boards?  You don't talk about anything else besides Buzz - even in a thread about the 2014-15 team.  You can share all of your wisdom and your obsessions about him there.  I am sure they would appreciate them as much as we do.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:53:30 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »
The poll might of left out the biggest surprise player. I am assuming, like probably most of you, that Cohen is not going to play much this year. I only saw him play once and my opinion was that he needed to add bulk and strength. However, the one pro am I went to this year he showed up late and missed the first quarter. He came in in the second quarter,  started slow and then finished the second quarter with 16 points. I do not think he did much the rest of that game. However, if he fits in and quickly learns Wojo's system he could be the surprise player.

feedback