[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UWM fraternity date rape scandal  (Read 15837 times)

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
UWM fraternity date rape scandal
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »

jficke13

• All American
Re: UWM fraternity date rape scandal
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:26 AM »
MU has one in a hazing scandal. I never really understood fraternities and am not convinced they have anything positive to offer the university community. I guess they do charity work sometimes? Not really sure.

I did see that Wellesley is forcing frats to accept women now, which made me laugh.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wisconsin-college-frat-suspended-over-date-rape-drug-allegations/

Another reason why frats are a fecking joke.

Get off your high horse. One incident at UWM. Could have happened at any party the only reason its a big deal is because ut involves fraternities.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »
MU has one in a hazing scandal. I never really understood fraternities and am not convinced they have anything positive to offer the university community. I guess they do charity work sometimes? Not really sure.

I did see that Wellesley is forcing frats to accept women now, which made me laugh.

I think you misread.  It's Wesleyan here in Middletown, CT.  A fraternity who was already on probation & in a semi-ban phase with the university had a death this month from someone falling out a window.  So the school forbid anyone from joining this fraternity or risk expulsion and also made the women's announcement.
See the article from The Atlantic earlier this year on fraternities.  The largest cause of death from a fraternity was falling out of an upper floor window.  And even more coincidental, the article goes into an earlier situation at Wesleyan on the same fraternity (where the death just happened) about a sexual assault that caused the university to crack down. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:05:32 AM »

So, broads gotta pee standin' up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:15:37 AM »
Other students told WDJT that "roofies," a common date rape drug, has become a significant problem on campus and that the school's police have issued a warning to women, telling them to watch their drinks.

Sounds like a broader problem with UWM
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
I think you misread.  It's Wesleyan here in Middletown, CT.  A fraternity who was already on probation & in a semi-ban phase with the university had a death this month from someone falling out a window.  So the school forbid anyone from joining this fraternity or risk expulsion and also made the women's announcement.
See the article from The Atlantic earlier this year on fraternities.  The largest cause of death from a fraternity was falling out of an upper floor window.  And even more coincidental, the article goes into an earlier situation at Wesleyan on the same fraternity (where the death just happened) about a sexual assault that caused the university to crack down. 

I certainly could have misread my mistake.

My central point remains: I don't see frats being a positive influence on our University.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
I certainly could have misread my mistake.

My central point remains: I don't see frats being a positive influence on our University.

Well you're just gonna have to deal with it cause they just expanded. There's a new fraternity and sorority on campus this year and SigEp cosponsored an event called glow bingo where Lovell showed up to and Greek life as a whole just got funding to do a late night marquette event during innaguration week. So you may not like it but it is growing at an exponential rate at MU.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »
Well you're just gonna have to deal with it cause they just expanded. There's a new fraternity and sorority on campus this year and SigEp cosponsored an event called glow bingo where Lovell showed up to and Greek life as a whole just got funding to do a late night marquette event during innaguration week. So you may not like it but it is growing at an exponential rate at MU.

Easy man, what are you in like every frat on campus? cripes

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 02:08:56 PM »
The kicker of the UWM story?  The president of the frat?  TWENTY FREAKING EIGHT YEARS OLD!

Quite a black eye for UWM on many levels. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 02:13:27 PM »

LOL...this might be the Greekiest paragraph I ever read.

But amuse me...what are the numbers behind this "exponential" growth rate?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 02:14:29 PM »
People are getting blackout drunk and blaming others for their actions.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »

Yeah I'm sure I'll manage to deal with it. I lived on campus for 7 years and barely noticed they existed. I'm pretty sure generations to come will be able to ignore Greek life on Marquette's campus as well... except of course for the victims of hazing or worse forms of abuse; they will have a harder time ignoring Greek life.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 02:46:09 PM »
LOL...this might be the Greekiest paragraph I ever read.

But amuse me...what are the numbers behind this "exponential" growth rate?

Every sorority last spring brought in at least 50 new members which is why they had to bring in a new one. Most of the fraternities had their biggest rush class ever in spring including Sigma Chi who was suspended the semester before. If that doesn't constitute as growth,  along with the MUSG president and vice president both being members of Greek life then you're right. It hasn't grown at all.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
Those aren't numbers.  Those are anecdotes.  And I never said "it hasn't grown at all."  In fact I never made a statement doubting yours.  However I have my doubts that any growth is "exponential."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »
Easy man, what are you in like every frat on campus? cripes

No but who are you to never post on this board and decide to rip on Greek Life as one of your few posts.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »
There's not a lot to be gained by trolling frat people, so I'm just going to duck out on it.

My point is simply that I don't know what Greek life adds to the campus or the university. People can party without Greek letters over the door just as well as they can without. People can go on a service trip or volunteer through (or outside) the university in many ways that don't require Greek letters on the group's t-shirt.

I'm sure Greek life is a positive for many people who participate; I was not one of them. I don't see it's value but its *very* obvious that you do. Enjoy.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »
The kicker of the UWM story?  The president of the frat?  TWENTY FREAKING EIGHT YEARS OLD!

Apparently he's a veteran.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »
No but who are you to never post on this board and decide to rip on Greek Life as one of your few posts.

Haha what does that even mean? I thought the article was something people would be interested in reading considering it happened at UWM and we've had our fair share of conversations / threads on Greek life in general over the past year or so. Also, just because you or someone else post more frequently than others does not mean you have some overarching command in what others choose to say. I've been on this board since 2007 (only made an account in 2009), so don't act like I'm some internet troll who just recently made an account to rile people up.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »
People are getting blackout drunk and blaming others for their actions.

What exactly do you mean by that?
Have some patience, FFS.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »
I don't see it's value but its *very* obvious that you do.

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »

Old School?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
Chitown you freak out on every topic that shows an issue with frats but never actually confront the issue being talked about. The bottom line is between alcohol deaths, the distribution of hard drugs, extreme hazing, sexual assault etc there are problems that need to be addressed.  They might have gotten better than before but as recently as me being a freshman I remember sexual assault problems at certain frats.  

I think instead of just praising greek life on these threads take a step back and think about why people have certain negative opinions of it.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:37:09 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
Chitown you freak out on every topic that shows an issue with frats but never actually confront the issue being talked about. The bottom line is between alcohol deaths, the distribution of hard drugs, extreme hazing, sexual assault etc there are problems that need to be addressed.  They might have gotten better than before but as recently as me being a freshman I remember sexual assault problems at certain frats.  

I think instead of just praising greek life on these threads take a step back and think about why people have certain negative opinions of it.  

Here's my problem. There are so many sexual assult cases outside of Greek life that people don't care about but as soon as it happens to a fraternity the mass media is all over it. They're looking for reasons to put it down

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 05:49:08 PM »
Here's my problem. There are so many sexual assult cases outside of Greek life that people don't care about but as soon as it happens to a fraternity the mass media is all over it. They're looking for reasons to put it down

Indeed that's very true.  But a study on effectiveness of rape prevention courses actually showed that those who pledge fraternities are 3 times more likely to commit sexual assault. This isn't me claiming you did anything or that any of your frat buddies did anything just me saying that the correlation is hard to ignore and so yes the media is going to be harsher.  It's what happens when you align with a visible club or organization.  

http://time.com/3426044/forbes-drunk-women-fraternity-hazing/

http://www.academia.edu/163846/Foubert_J._D._Newberry_J._T._and_Tatum_J._L._2007_._Behavior_differences_seven_months_later_Effects_of_a_rape_prevention_program_on_first-year_men_who_join_fraternities._NASPA_Journal_44_728-749
Maigh Eo for Sam