[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Campus Expansion  (Read 67726 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Campus Expansion
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 02:58:20 PM »
Yup, and the different in pay for Private college grads vs public grads is even bigger disparity.  I get where Hilltopper is going, but I think his comments are more applicable to private schools that don't cut it.  This is why, in my opinion, MU has to do everything they can to justify the expense, not have a race to the bottom.  If you can provide value, if your graduates are successful and have high earning potential, then bright students will pay the cost to attend because the ROI makes sense.  Right now, I'd call MU's ROI a wash, they need to do better and the time is now.  For those private schools that are equally expensive, but not churning out productive graduates, the justification to attend those schools (lower ranked, poor earners, etc) is a reality that future students can't ignore.

Agreed. As competition gets more fierce for students, the University must continue to improve infrastructure as well as academics. Standing still is not an option.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 03:35:08 PM »
Students demand both lower tuition and better facilities/programs/faculty. Kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation

Yup, like many goods and services today.  We've corrupted an entire generation into thinking that stuff should be free or pennies on the dollar.  Good stuff costs real money.  You want a good education, with quality professors and facilities, etc, it costs lots of money.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 03:57:04 PM »
Yup, like many goods and services today.  We've corrupted an entire generation into thinking that stuff should be free or pennies on the dollar.  Good stuff costs real money.  You want a good education, with quality professors and facilities, etc, it costs lots of money.

Sometimes I really appreciate your input on topics. Sometimes I can't stand it.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »
This is as good a topic as any to remember that the universe of students/families that can afford (or are simply willing) to pay tuition that increases at 4-7% a year is dropping to zero in the long run.

MU shouldn't expand.  They should find ways to educate for less or their long term future (and all private schools) is doomed.

He should have said something about increasing the endowment.  It is the only way to support the shiny new things and the students.

I thought that this was going to be a major goal in the near future but haven't heard anything about it.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »
He should have said something about increasing the endowment.  It is the only way to support the shiny new things and the students.

I thought that this was going to be a major goal in the near future but haven't heard anything about it.
I agree it is vital to get the endowment up significantly. My guess is that they will announce a big capital campaign soon.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »
Sometimes I really appreciate your input on topics. Sometimes I can't stand it.

The feeling is mutual, I assure you....that goes for everyone.

There are volumes and volumes of literature on this stuff in B School and in case studies.  The science of consumer behavior.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 06:50:23 PM »
I agree it is vital to get the endowment up significantly. My guess is that they will announce a big capital campaign soon.

They have to.   Probably with a relatively straightforward blueprint for both infrastructure upgrades and long term endowment. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 07:33:51 PM »
Yup, and the difference in pay for Private college grads vs public grads is an even bigger disparity.  I get where Hilltopper is going, but I think his comments are more applicable to private schools that don't cut it. This is why, in my opinion, MU has to do everything they can to justify the expense, not have a race to the bottom.  If you can provide value, if your graduates are successful and have high earning potential, then bright students will pay the cost to attend because the ROI makes sense.  Right now, I'd call MU's ROI a wash, they need to do better and the time is now.  For those private schools that are equally expensive, but not churning out productive graduates, the justification to attend those schools (lower ranked, poor earners, etc) is a reality that future students can't ignore.

Precisely.

Hilltopper is making a political post without making it obvious to all. Sneaky.

For an intelligent, hardworking kid with an interest in a relevant field, opportunities are excellent today. Price tag may appear high, but the value is compelling.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2014, 08:54:04 PM »
If you are green, you are growing. Lovell has set a growth agenda from the get go, but also is locking onto these innovation partnerships around town in order to share costs. According to MU's Financial Statements, MU brought in contributions receivables of $81,498M in 2010 and $83,519M in Fr. Wild's last year. Enter Pilarz and the contributions receivables went down to $78,895M in 2012 and $62,897M in 2013 (and the stock market rocketed up).

How does one make up for the drop-off in contributions when one fails in leadership? Raise tuition, with gross tuition rising from $306,018M in Wild's last year to $337,783M in Pilarz's Year 2. Fact is, tuition control goes with growth by keeping tuition in line by insisting that a sizeable part of endowment and incubation revenue go toward financial aid.  

If anyone still thinks the Pilarz regime's problems were all on Buzz Williams, keep drinking.  Nero was fiddling while Rome was burning.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:56:07 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2014, 09:13:32 PM »
Pillarz was a horrible hire. Hired only because he wears a collar. Glad MU moved beyond that and hired the best qualified individual this time.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »

What was political about his post?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2014, 09:44:11 PM »
If you are green, you are growing. Lovell has set a growth agenda from the get go, but also is locking onto these innovation partnerships around town in order to share costs. According to MU's Financial Statements, MU brought in contributions receivables of $81,498M in 2010 and $83,519M in Fr. Wild's last year. Enter Pilarz and the contributions receivables went down to $78,895M in 2012 and $62,897M in 2013 (and the stock market rocketed up).

How does one make up for the drop-off in contributions when one fails in leadership? Raise tuition, with gross tuition rising from $306,018M in Wild's last year to $337,783M in Pilarz's Year 2. Fact is, tuition control goes with growth by keeping tuition in line by insisting that a sizeable part of endowment and incubation revenue go toward financial aid.  

If anyone still thinks the Pilarz regime's problems were all on Buzz Williams, keep drinking.  Nero was fiddling while Rome was burning.

Wow.  Just wow.  I didn't know any of that.  I'm very thankful that we now have Lovell.  He seems to be the real deal.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2014, 10:00:44 PM »

This is all bad info, IMO, and now we've got GoldenWarrior on the post above believing it. This can happen when a lay person gets a hold of financial statements.

You don't "bring in contributions receivable" in a given year. This is a presentation of contributions receivable in the future at a given point in time. The origin of the contribution varies and these amounts are discounted (and estimated uncollectible accounts are reserved for).

In other words, you have not presented contributions in the given years. Those figures shown something similar, though not as significant (from 2010 to 2013): $57.6MM, $54.0MM, $42.7MM, $43.9MM (yes, an increase in 2012-13).

However, contributions at MU are relatively small compared to the overall operations of the organization. And, they are often driven by specific projects/programs and a select few individuals who decide to generously give a large amount. (Think back to say.. 2008 as an example.. with the law school, engineering, etc... big numbers.) In addition, fundraising success may be visually difficult to see if pulling numbers from financial statements due to accounting rules.

Anyway, I disagree with your summary (not necessarily the message you're trying to send).

---------------
I'd point you to other things such as...
Gross tuition 2010 to 2013... increased 16.8%... BUT, net tuition... just 11.4%.
Over that same period, OPERATING EXPENSES rose 11.4%. (e.g., net tuition and operating expenses have moved in line with each other).

2013 vs. 2012... net tuition up 1.5% while operating expenses rose almost double that. Salaries & bene's up 3.5% in 2012-13 vs. 2011-12.

Let's get more research & grant funding...

Cost increases are real. Be prudent about expenses, but you can't over-squeeze.

Fortunately I think back-to-back NCAA championships will do a lot for the Quette $$$$$$$$$$$$

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »

Nero was probably drinking while Rome was burning.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »
As you point out, there are different ways to report or interpret financial reports...however, Marquette chooses "Contributions Receivable" which is the term I precisely stated without getting into 50 lines of technocratic terms.  Similarly, "gross tuition" represents revenue without the level of discounted revenue (listed separately)...meaning richer students paying full price are paying more than their share of scholarship money, a sign of true financial health of what an institutional n can charge. Thus, these were reported and treated equally all years for comparison purposes.

Feel free to debate KMPG. I think we both agree that MU was trending significantly down in donations, while costs were high, and tuition hikes and staff cuts had to be enacted, interpretations aside.

http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/reports.shtml

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:24:22 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
As you point out, there are different ways to report or interpret financial reports...however, Marquette chooses "Contributions Receivable" which is the term I precisely stated without getting into 50 lines of technocratic terms.  Similarly, "gross tuition" represents revenue without the level of discounted revenue (listed separately)...meaning richer students paying full price are paying more than their share of scholarship money, a sign of true financial health of what an institutional n can charge. Thus, these were reported and treated equally all years for comparison purposes.

Feel free to debate KMPG. I think we both agree that MU was trending significantly down in donations, while costs were high, and tuition hikes and staff cuts had to be enacted, interpretations aside.

http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/reports.shtml

Sigh... to be clear, I'm saying i don't believe what a contribution receivable is. Has nothing to do with the annual report or the auditors.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2014, 11:24:14 PM »
Sigh... to be clear, I'm saying i don't believe what a contribution receivable is. Has nothing to do with the annual report or the auditors.

Regardless of how one looks at the numbers, the new President will be better for fundraising and it is imperative that MU does that.

There endowment right now of $450-460M is absurd for a University of its size and mission…it should be around $1B or larger. 

That is going to be a big challenge for Lovell.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »
Precisely.

For an intelligent, hardworking kid with an interest in a relevant field, opportunities are excellent today. Price tag may appear high, but the value is compelling.

Honestly, don't see anything political about it at all.  I think he's correct in one sense.  Many private schools charge a lot of money but the ROI isn't there.  Those schools are in deep crap which is what I think he was saying.  Where I would disagree with him is that I don't think MU has to be in that boat.  We're a top 80 school today, if the school can get to a top 50 marker, people will pay for the degree.  That's where you and I are aligned.  Not everyone agrees.  I recall Sultan or someone not wanting MU to push for that status, maybe a few others.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 11:44:36 PM »
Honestly, don't see anything political about it at all.  I think he's correct in one sense.  Many private schools charge a lot of money but the ROI isn't there.  Those schools are in deep crap which is what I think he was saying.  Where I would disagree with him is that I don't think MU has to be in that boat.  We're a top 80 school today, if the school can get to a top 50 marker, people will pay for the degree.  That's where you and I are aligned.  Not everyone agrees.  I recall Sultan or someone not wanting MU to push for that status, maybe a few others.

Some of the threads in the Superbar were talking about the rankings. I want MU to get into the top 50, top 25, whatever. But I don't want them to be gaming the system like Northeastern did. Getting improved rankings through "squirmy" methods isn't my preferred approach

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2014, 07:09:59 AM »
Nero was fiddling while Rome was burning.

Actually he wasn't.  See the September 2014 edition of National Geographic.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2014, 08:15:58 AM »
Um, no, I think you are referring to the Y and the Business Building.
+1

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2014, 08:46:52 AM »

I chose between Marquette and UW in 1978.  My Dad thought I was crazy because he had limited $$ to contribute. ( I am the oldest of 6).   I chose Marquette and loved every minute of my overall experience. 

I paid most of my own way and I borrowed the max.  Paid that bill into my mid 30s. Worth every dime I invested.  Overall, the Jesuit experience is incredible.  There is just no way I could pull that off now. 

I encourage every smart kid I know to apply to Marquette and tell them not to look at the retail price, wait until you see what they offer. 
1) With a delta of about $30K (retail) per year, many don't even apply.
2) MU drags their feet with financial aid offers, so that these kids need to commit before MU lets them know where they stand.  I know that in many cases MU is waiting for more highly ranked admits to commit, but still.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »
Some of the threads in the Superbar were talking about the rankings. I want MU to get into the top 50, top 25, whatever. But I don't want them to be gaming the system like Northeastern did. Getting improved rankings through "squirmy" methods isn't my preferred approach

To the "perception is reality" crew gaming the system is what it's all about.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »

The average student debt upon graduation in 1980 was $3,100.  Today it's over $28,000.  I understand why students want "stuff" for cheaper.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2014, 09:11:54 AM »
The average student debt upon graduation in 1980 was $3,100.  Today it's over $28,000.  I understand why students want "stuff" for cheaper.

Students can want whatever they want.

Employers still have expectations for the individuals they're hiring. A 4-year degree from a reputable institution is one of those things.

feedback