[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Campus Expansion  (Read 67723 times)

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
Campus Expansion
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »
Announced today -

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/lovell-announces-marquette-campus-expansion-new-initiatives-b99355025z1-275827401.html

Combining pomp and circumstance with a PowerPoint presentation, Marquette University President Michael Lovell used his inaugural ceremony address Friday to set a dramatic course for the school that includes reaching out to neighbors, forging new partnerships and adding property for future growth.

Near the end of the speech, Lovell announced that Marquette University had purchased about 7 acres in the 800 block of W. Michigan St.

Calling the deal a "once a generation opportunity" for Marquette and Milwaukee, Lovell detailed how the property expands the school's footprint to the east.

"We look forward to working with the campus community in the coming months to develop the best uses for the land," Lovell said during the event at the Al McGuire Center.

Lovell, the first lay president in the Jesuit school's 133-year history, offered a blueprint that tied together many of the diverse strands of his career, as both an engineer and past chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

He announced Marquette will move into the sixth floor of the $22 million Global Water Center in the Fifth Ward, joining other universities and water-related companies at the research facility. Opened in September 2013, the center is where water-related academic research and industry research and development can come together. UWM occupies an entire floor of the building.

Lovell said Marquette is exploring options for a presence at the Innovation Campus in Wauwatosa, the public-private research park he championed while at UWM. Marquette will also launch a joint bioengineering department with the Medical College of Wisconsin, Lovell said.

Lovell revealed several major donations that will drive work in the humanities and in business.

He announced a planned gift to create a future Center for Advancement of the Humanities. The multimillion dollar commitment from an unnamed donor was made by a Marquette alumna who is a research scholar. Lovell said the center will help establish Marquette as a leading humanities institution in the Midwest.

Lovell also revealed a $5 million strategic innovation fund. Among those who donated to the project are the Kern Family Foundation and Donna O'Rourke, whose late husband, Jerry, was a longtime Marquette trustee.

The strategic innovation fund was described as being similar to a venture capital fund, providing seed money to students, faculty and staff to kick-start projects. Proposals will be reviewed in the spring with funding beginning July 1, 2015.

Lovell also announced a neighborhood partnership on safety. Lovell said he and Harley-Davidson CEO Keith Wandell will partner with "neighborhood anchor institutions" in a safety initiative in the Avenues West neighborhood. The aim isn't just to make the neighborhood safer, Lovell said, but to have it become a destination for visitors.

"It's a step in the right direction," said Keith Stanley, executive director of the Avenues West Business Improvement District, which includes the Marquette campus.

"If you talk to any of our businesses — the ones that have been around for a couple decades —things are always getting better," Stanley said. "We see momentum."

Safety is a key concern on the Marquette campus.

Marquette's Department of Public Safety already has texted and emailed five public safety alerts to students, faculty and staff since Aug. 23, the weekend before classes started. Two of the alerts were sent last weekend. The alerts described a total of five robberies, three of them armed.

Legislation signed into law last spring will help clear the way for Marquette to create its own police department with private university officers who have the same powers as City of Milwaukee police to enforce the law, as well as Marquette rules.

To establish the department, Marquette would still need to reach an agreement with Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen. That agreement also would be subject to review by the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission.

MU111

• Starter
Re: Campus Expansion
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:47:34 PM »
I believe that this is the large, mostly cleared site immediately south of Straz Hall, that was made available due to the rebuild of the Marquette Interchange.  Looks like a great opportunity for campus.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »
I believe that this is the large, mostly cleared site immediately south of Straz Hall, that was made available due to the rebuild of the Marquette Interchange.  Looks like a great opportunity for campus.

I'm hoping it's the lot SE of Straz near Butch's.  Much better land.
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
I'm hoping it's the lot SE of Straz near Butch's.  Much better land.

It sounds like it includes that as well.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »
increased enrollment?

MeghanMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
Future home of the field house for soccer and lacrosse!?!?!

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 06:44:53 PM »
Rebirth of the Lanche?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 07:31:48 PM »
This parcel?

(see pic)
SS Marquette

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 07:37:52 PM »

Had me confused for a moment. I think you mean Straz Tower, better known to us older folks as East Hall, the YMCA, etc.

Straz Hall = college of bidness.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 08:04:32 PM »
New basketball only dorms.  Ellenson Hall.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
Had me confused for a moment. I think you mean Straz Tower, better known to us older folks as East Hall, the YMCA, etc.

Um, no, I think you are referring to the Y and the Business Building.
Have some patience, FFS.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »
The Duke of the Midwest, hey?
Goal is National Championship

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »
That's a nice piece of land for Marquette signage.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »
New basketball only dorms.  Ellenson Hall.

You just launched a groundbreaking recruiting tactic.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »

It was still East Hall when I started at Marquette. That's why I got myself confused.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 05:15:04 PM »
It will be a while before they develop the new land on Michigan.  The construction of the new Jes Res near Schroeder (in SHAMU) has begun, and there are plans for a new dorm across 13th from Schroeder (using the land that is currently a big field and the parking lot for the Al.  Anything on the other side of the highway has to be further down the list

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »
Um, no, I think you are referring to the Y and the Business Building.

Umm, no. I don't know what you're actually trying to say, but it's wrong.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 08:28:22 PM »
Umm, no. I don't know what you're actually trying to say, but it's wrong.

You be right, hoss, and she's usually very accurate, very succinct.  Surprising.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 09:46:46 PM »
It will be a while before they develop the new land on Michigan.  The construction of the new Jes Res near Schroeder (in SHAMU) has begun, and there are plans for a new dorm across 13th from Schroeder (using the land that is currently a big field and the parking lot for the Al.  Anything on the other side of the highway has to be further down the list

Actually, east expansion has been a top priority of the Architect and University for a long time. This parcel has been targeted since the Interchange construction began. MU wants another flagship building surrounding the Interchange that will rival Eckstein.

A communications-heavy, but multi-use building were the targets were floated, but finding the namesake donor for such a building hasn't panned out.

Last I heard they want to acquire that whole block and vacant the city road for a larger development. The 13th street dorm has been dead in the water for a awhile now, greenspace is a top priority near dorms for the Architect.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 10:18:21 PM »
You be right, hoss, and she's usually very accurate, very succinct.  Surprising.

Apparently, my joke failed.  My point was before they were East Hall and Straz  Hall they were the Y and the Business Building.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 06:25:52 AM »
Yeah, F*ckin' used to have lunch at the Y.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »
This is as good a topic as any to remember that the universe of students/families that can afford (or are simply willing) to pay tuition that increases at 4-7% a year is dropping to zero in the long run.

MU shouldn't expand.  They should find ways to educate for less or their long term future (and all private schools) is doomed.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »
This is as good a topic as any to remember that the universe of students/families that can afford (or are simply willing) to pay tuition that increases at 4-7% a year is dropping to zero in the long run.

MU shouldn't expand.  They should find ways to educate for less or their long term future (and all private schools) is doomed.

The difference in pay for college graduates vs. non-college graduate is growing as well.

An investment in your own education is compelling if you're intelligent and interested in a worthwhile field of study.  Risk vs. reward remains an obvious great deal for capable individuals.

Unfortunately, more and more will select the govt handouts and cause a real* problem for college grads - high taxes on their well earned pay.

Expand and be great, MU!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
The difference in pay for college graduates vs. non-college graduate is growing as well.

An investment in your own education is compelling if you're intelligent and interested in a worthwhile field of study.  Risk vs. reward remains an obvious great deal for capable individuals.

Unfortunately, more and more will select the govt handouts and cause a real* problem for college grads - high taxes on their well earned pay.

Expand and be great, MU!

Yup, and the difference in pay for Private college grads vs public grads is an even bigger disparity.  I get where Hilltopper is going, but I think his comments are more applicable to private schools that don't cut it. This is why, in my opinion, MU has to do everything they can to justify the expense, not have a race to the bottom.  If you can provide value, if your graduates are successful and have high earning potential, then bright students will pay the cost to attend because the ROI makes sense.  Right now, I'd call MU's ROI a wash, they need to do better and the time is now.  For those private schools that are equally expensive, but not churning out productive graduates, the justification to attend those schools (lower ranked, poor earners, etc) is a reality that future students can't ignore.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:33:17 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 02:48:56 PM »
Students demand both lower tuition and better facilities/programs/faculty. Kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback