'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 12:53:11 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Those who watched Wade at MU  (Read 35300 times)

MUSF

• All American
Re: Those who watched Wade at MU
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2014, 06:48:38 PM »
Like many, I realized he was going to be very good when I watched his performance in Alaska.  I realized he would be truly special when I watched him in person against UW in Madison.

Wade got in early foul trouble and was largely ineffective in the first half.  If I remember correctly, he only scored two or four points in the half.  The Badger fans I was with, and many in the Kohl Center, spent halftime talking about how DWade didn't seem to be anything special.  The second half proved everyone in the building wrong.

There was a stretch in that second half where Wade was absolutely unstoppable.  The Kohl Center went dead silent as the Bucky faithful collectively realized that he was by far the best player on the court that night and that he obviously had the potential to be one of the best players to ever set foot on that court.  MU lost the game and I can't remember how many points Wade finished with (24 or 25?) but everyone left the arena knowing they just watched a special player.  I have never been so happy after an MU loss, because I knew that there were many great moments to come.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »
Wait a minute, all these people are saying that during his red shirt year NBA scouts were in the Old Gym watching Wade play.  Chicos paints a different picture.  Wade wasn't highly recruited, wasn't ranked highly in the recruit rankings, and frankly wouldn't be nearly the player he was without Tom Crean's incredible skill at developing his players.  Wade owes it all to Coach Crean.  Just ask Wade himself, Chicos will tell you.  Wade could not have possibly been as good as you all are saying he was while he was redshirting, he hadn't even had time for Crean to develop him, and he wasn't that good coming into Marquette.

Or is Tom Crean that good that you can give him 2 months with a guy and he goes from 10th best player in IL to 10th best player in college basketball?

Wadesworld, you're distorting terribly.  The facts are, he wasn't highly recruited...one can claim like Robbie the RiverRat that it was because the Big Ten and other power conferences didn't recruit Prop 48's....of course, Robbie the RiverRat was dead wrong to say that as I illustrated a number of examples of Big Ten teams with Prop 48 players.  The facts ALSO are that he wasn't highly ranked by recruiting rankings.  Those are both facts.

Nowhere did I say that Wade got to his perch in life solely because of Crean.  That being said, Crean did recruit him, Crean did land him, and Crean was his coach that pushed him to succeed.

Your hyperbole aside, I just listen to what Dwyane Wade says about his coach the role he played in his life.  I would encourage you to do the same thing. 

Ultimately, I'm glad that Dwyane Wade played for Marquette University and I'm glad our coach at the time landed him so he could do that. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »
As stated, I'm glad he chose to come to MU.  Someone got him here, those of you who hate that person would have missed a tremendous talent that brought a lot of joy to many people then and still does today.

This will hurt some of you....
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/08/17/tweet-of-the-night-dwyane-wade-and-tom-creans-unbreakable-bond/

augoman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »
I watched Wade at the first open team practice in the old gym.  I wasn't aware he was ineligible until later when I got home and spoke to some friends on the phone.  I was crushed as he was clearly the best player on the court.  He was unstoppable in the scrimmage.  Thank God that ODB convinced Crean to offer him.  Thank God Crean listened.  I'm glad that they bonded and that Crean made a great living from a chance.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 10:20:22 PM »
..of course, Robbie the RiverRat was dead wrong to say that as I illustrated a number of examples of Big Ten teams with Prop 48 players. 

Please give these examples again of Big Ten teams with prop 48 or non qualifying players. Maybe rules have changed, but I know for a FACT that Dwyane Wade was not eligible to be a scholarship athlete at any of the "big 6" conference schools out of high school.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »
All I know is that every game no matter opponent was worth the price of admission when the great one was here...always highlight material every single game.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
Please give these examples again of Big Ten teams with prop 48 or non qualifying players. Maybe rules have changed, but I know for a FACT that Dwyane Wade was not eligible to be a scholarship athlete at any of the "big 6" conference schools out of high school.

You sure about that?

;)

Or maybe you define big 6 differently than I do.   I'm going to throw you a little bone here, you do realize that Wade was a partial qualifier, not a non-qualifer...correct?  You may have had them mixed up.

I'll let you respond to my post, maybe you want to clarify it a bit.  For giggles, say you were right (and I do mean giggles for that reason), your implication would be that other C-USA schools could take Wade like Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis or even the next rung down with Charlotte, TCU, Houston, USF, etc all could have recruited him, but didn't...per Wade himself.  Instead his three offers, per Wade, were DePaul, MU and Illinois State.

Get back to me on the FACTS that you know.....a few bread crumbs....you may want to review conference policies from 1985 (the year Prop 48 came out) as well as it's successors (prop 42) through 2004 for each conference and let us know what the policies are for partial qualifiers via conference rules:

Big Ten
Big 8 / 12
Pac 10
SEC
ACC
Big East

As Sesame Street would say, this segment is brought to you by the number 4.  That is your hint, the number 4.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
Lenny, another hint so you don't have to do too much work.  You may want to check policy on partial qualifier limits for a certain large conference in the Great Lakes region.   :P

Another hint...you may want to catch up on why Nebraska was so thrilled to go to a large conference in the Great Lakes region that has no limits on partial qualifiers or non qualifiers, but the Big 12 did (the Big 8 did not, but when Texas joined they forced a conference policy change which greatly reduced the number to 4...Nebraska fans have partially blamed that policy change for their decline in football when they could take as many PQ and NQ's as they wished, which now they can again).

Let me know if you want any more hints....I actually have all the conference policies on one chart from the late 1990's, 2004, 2006.  They are all on the internet with a simple search.   :o

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »
OK, I'm an outlier but I didn't really realize how good he was until 2003, when we made the Final Four.

My argument is the Michael Jordan/Bulls argument. Jordan was always great, but his greatness came not from scoring 70 points against the Celtics, but from pushing and lifting the rest of his team up. Wade reached that point in the 2003 NCAA tournament. His greatest moment -- when I realized how great he was -- was at the Kentucky game when he performed a miracle.

The Tennessee game in the Shootout -- as great as everyone thinks it is -- was not one where he made the team great. Nor did he make our team when we lost to Tulsa in St. Louis in 2002. We had talent in 2003 and Wade was the catalyst that got us someplace really special.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2014, 06:33:44 PM »
Lenny....I will be cordial and nice in my response.

I believe your statement "but I know for a FACT that Dwyane Wade was not eligible to be a scholarship athlete at any of the "big 6" conference schools out of high school" is not accurate and have provided the documentation below.

Assuming the "big 6" are the Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, SEC, Pac 12 and Big East.

In those conferences from 1996 to 2004, these were the following policies by conference on partial qualifiers.  Since Wade was a partial qualifier, I'll leave out the Non Qualifier policies, but I do have those as well.

Note that many of the Big 6 do have policies around partial qualifiers, but none of them exclude the university from taking PQ's.  Some do limit the number to only 2 per year for a men's sport, but nevertheless they can be taken.  The Big Ten and Big East have no such restrictions at all in place and can take as many players as they wish.

ACC Partial Qualifier Policy:

Effective 8/1/96:
Entering freshmen

– (First FT enrollment is ACC institution)
Maximum limit of 4 partial qualifiers per year per institution as determined by the institution may practice and receive aid (no more than 2 in men’s sports, and no more than 2 in women’s sports, with no more than one in any sport). PQ must receive athletic aid.

4-yr transfer
must transfer at least 48S/72Q units with 2.00 GPA and attended 4-yr inst. 3S/4Q as full-time student to be eligible for aid, comp, practice. Any waivers require 6 affirmative votes (excluding involved institution).

Big East Partial Qualifier Policy:

No policy limitations on Partial Qualifiers.  No limitations of any kind.

Big Ten Partial Qualifier Policy:

No policy limitations on Partial Qualifiers.  No limitations of any kind.

Big 12 Partial Qualifier Policy:

Effective 6/96:

Entering freshmen
- No more than 4 partial qualifiers per year as determined by the institution may practice and receive aid (no more than 2 in men's sports, and no more
than 2 in women’s sports, with no more than one in any sport). PQ status must be determined by 8/1 each year.

4-yr transfer
must transfer at least 48S/72Q units with 2.00 GPA , attended 4-yr inst. 3S/4Q as full-time student, and complete 1 yr in residence at Big 12 school for aid, practice, comp. NCAA 4-yr transfer waivers are not applicable.

2-yr transfer:
AA w/48S /2.00 & 3S at JC. 4(non-conf)-2-4 transfer : AA w/48S & 2.00

Pac 10 Partial Qualifier Policy:

Effective 8/1/97:
Entering freshmen fall 97 and thereafter:

No more than 4 partial qualifiers per year as determined by institution may practice and receive aid or compete upon fulfillment of residence requirement. No more than 2 in men’s sports and no more than 2 in women’s sports, with no more than one in any one sport. Counts in academic year of original enrollment or when first reports for practice. All other PQs permanently ineligible for aid, practice, comp. Non-recruited, no athletic aid, no athletic admission, no practice
until 2nd year/no aid until 3rd year.

4-yr transfer (non conference) must meet all NCAA transfer requirements; transfer 48S/72Q degree credits with 2.00;
and attended 4-yr inst. 3S/4Q as full-time student to be eligible for practice, comp, aid. Exceptions available for non-recruited transfers and some
foreign students. No waivers.

SEC Partial Qualifier Policy:

FT Enrollment as Freshman or 4-4 Transfer
– Maximum limit of 4 SA’s classified as PQ or NQ in men’s sports (limit 2 in FB and not more than 1 annually in any other sport). Maximum limit of 4 SA’s classified as PQ or NQ in women’s sports (limit 1 per sport annually). PQ must receive athletic aid. Limits do not apply to LD SA who is otherwise eligible for enrollment.

4-yr transfer
: Transfer at least 48S/72Q units with 2.00 GPA, attended 4-yr inst. 3S/4Q as full-time student; and have at least 2 seasons of competition remaining. 2-year and 4-2-4: Must have AA and 48S/72Q with 2.00 & attend 3S at JC; earn 6 credits of transferable English with 2.00; earn 6 credits of transferable Math with 2.00.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »
Townsend couldn't shoot!

When I think of 2003 especially, I get irritated with Townsend.

I thank him for his contributions and wish him the best but he was OUT of his league for most games.
He had length to appear he could defend but his feet were slow.
He couldn't shoot.
He was never a threat.
He was the weak link in our drive to the Title that year.

My memories of him are always getting beat or stumbling to the floor trying to keep up.
SS Marquette

augoman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2014, 11:37:13 PM »
imagine if ODB stayed and played in Townsend's place.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2014, 05:58:09 AM »
What is the God's honest truth about Wade's recruitment pre Crean? Hasn't it been said that Deane's staff was on him and Crean kind of picked up the pace on getting him here? I've never been clear on that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »
What is the God's honest truth about Wade's recruitment pre Crean? Hasn't it been said that Deane's staff was on him and Crean kind of picked up the pace on getting him here? I've never been clear on that.

I think the answer is in what Wade has said directly about his recruitment.    All kinds of schools "recruit" kids just by cranking out mass letters of interest in their recruiting. At the end of the day, it depends on what the recipient feels is pursuing him.

Akin to a guy saying he is interested in some woman and making overtures to her, yet from her POV she thinks he is just a friend and doesn't recognize his intentions at all.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
I think the answer is in what Wade has said directly about his recruitment.    All kinds of schools "recruit" kids just by cranking out mass letters of interest in their recruiting. At the end of the day, it depends on what the recipient feels is pursuing him.

Akin to a guy saying he is interested in some woman and making overtures to her, yet from her POV she thinks he is just a friend and doesn't recognize his intentions at all.

So, would the statement "I've been thinking about you a lot lately... a whole lot" be construed as too vague or does it get the message across properly?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »
So, would the statement "I've been thinking about you a lot lately... a whole lot" be construed as too vague or does it get the message across properly?

Let's try to keep the discussion on Dwyane Wade and recruiting, and not Chris Hansen and To Catch a Predator.  Oh wait...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
Lenny....I will be cordial and nice in my response.

I believe your statement "but I know for a FACT that Dwyane Wade was not eligible to be a scholarship athlete at any of the "big 6" conference schools out of high school" is not accurate and have provided the documentation below.

Assuming the "big 6" are the Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, SEC, Pac 12 and Big East.

In those conferences from 1996 to 2004, these were the following policies by conference on partial qualifiers.  Since Wade was a partial qualifier, I'll leave out the Non Qualifier policies, but I do have those as well.

Note that many of the Big 6 do have policies around partial qualifiers, but none of them exclude the university from taking PQ's.  Some do limit the number to only 2 per year for a men's sport, but nevertheless they can be taken.  The Big Ten and Big East have no such restrictions at all in place and can take as many players as they wish.

ACC Partial Qualifier Policy:

Effective 8/1/96:
Entering freshmen

– (First FT enrollment is ACC institution)
Maximum limit of 4 partial qualifiers per year per institution as determined by the institution may practice and receive aid (no more than 2 in men’s sports, and no more than 2 in women’s sports, with no more than one in any sport). PQ must receive athletic aid.

4-yr transfer
must transfer at least 48S/72Q units with 2.00 GPA and attended 4-yr inst. 3S/4Q as full-time student to be eligible for aid, comp, practice. Any waivers require 6 affirmative votes (excluding involved institution).

Big East Partial Qualifier Policy:

No policy limitations on Partial Qualifiers.  No limitations of any kind.

Big Ten Partial Qualifier Policy:

No policy limitations on Partial Qualifiers.  No limitations of any kind.

Big 12 Partial Qualifier Policy:

Effective 6/96:

Entering freshmen
- No more than 4 partial qualifiers per year as determined by the institution may practice and receive aid (no more than 2 in men's sports, and no more
than 2 in women’s sports, with no more than one in any sport). PQ status must be determined by 8/1 each year.

4-yr transfer
must transfer at least 48S/72Q units with 2.00 GPA , attended 4-yr inst. 3S/4Q as full-time student, and complete 1 yr in residence at Big 12 school for aid, practice, comp. NCAA 4-yr transfer waivers are not applicable.

2-yr transfer:
AA w/48S /2.00 & 3S at JC. 4(non-conf)-2-4 transfer : AA w/48S & 2.00

Pac 10 Partial Qualifier Policy:

Effective 8/1/97:
Entering freshmen fall 97 and thereafter:

No more than 4 partial qualifiers per year as determined by institution may practice and receive aid or compete upon fulfillment of residence requirement. No more than 2 in men’s sports and no more than 2 in women’s sports, with no more than one in any one sport. Counts in academic year of original enrollment or when first reports for practice. All other PQs permanently ineligible for aid, practice, comp. Non-recruited, no athletic aid, no athletic admission, no practice
until 2nd year/no aid until 3rd year.

4-yr transfer (non conference) must meet all NCAA transfer requirements; transfer 48S/72Q degree credits with 2.00;
and attended 4-yr inst. 3S/4Q as full-time student to be eligible for practice, comp, aid. Exceptions available for non-recruited transfers and some
foreign students. No waivers.

SEC Partial Qualifier Policy:

FT Enrollment as Freshman or 4-4 Transfer
– Maximum limit of 4 SA’s classified as PQ or NQ in men’s sports (limit 2 in FB and not more than 1 annually in any other sport). Maximum limit of 4 SA’s classified as PQ or NQ in women’s sports (limit 1 per sport annually). PQ must receive athletic aid. Limits do not apply to LD SA who is otherwise eligible for enrollment.

4-yr transfer
: Transfer at least 48S/72Q units with 2.00 GPA, attended 4-yr inst. 3S/4Q as full-time student; and have at least 2 seasons of competition remaining. 2-year and 4-2-4: Must have AA and 48S/72Q with 2.00 & attend 3S at JC; earn 6 credits of transferable English with 2.00; earn 6 credits of transferable Math with 2.00.

Thank you for being cordial. Wrong and cordial is much preferred to the wrong and snarky of your previous two posts on the subject. Here is the problem with your analysis:

When Marquette signed Dwyane Wade to a letter of intent in November of 1999 (his senior year in high school) he was NOT a partial qualifier, he was a non qualifier. He had not (a) graduated from high school with his core courses and GPA in order or (b) achieved an acceptable score on his SATs or ACTs. Big 6 schools were not signing non qualifiers to letters of intent in 1999. He could have taken a chance that a big 6 school would have wanted him as a partial qualifier after graduation, but when he hadn't passed the ACT by the summer before his senior year he was off of their radar until at least the spring. Under those circumstances you take what you can get. Our luck.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:40:45 PM by Ellensons Tap »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »

I have never heard Wade talk about Marquette's pursuit, pre Crean. Wasn't one of Deane's assistants the actual guy who targeted him?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »
I have never heard Wade talk about Marquette's pursuit, pre Crean. Wasn't one of Deane's assistants the actual guy who targeted him?

Deane was definitely on Wade. Don't know about any of his assistants. Tim Buckley, an MU assistant under Crean in 1999-2000 was instrumental.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »
Deane's Wiki page says he recruited Wade before he left. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
Thank you for being cordial. Wrong and cordial is much preferred to the wrong and snarky of your previous two posts on the subject. Here is the problem with your analysis:

When Marquette signed Dwyane Wade to a letter of intent in November of 1999 (his senior year in high school) he was NOT a partial qualifier, he was a non qualifier. He had not (a) graduated from high school with his core courses and GPA in order or (b) achieved an acceptable score on his SATs or ACTs. Big 6 schools were not signing non qualifiers to letters of intent in 1999. He could have taken a chance that a big 6 school would have wanted him as a partial qualifier after graduation, but when he hadn't passed the ACT by the summer before his senior year he was off of their radar until at least the spring. Under those circumstances you take what you can get. Our luck.

Happy to be non-snarky, also happy to show you are wrong again.  

If you would have said 4 of the big 6, you would have been correct.  However, you didn't and right in his own backyard is one of the conferences that allowed NQ's without discrimination...the other was the Big East.  Here are the policies for NON QUALIFIERS by Big 6 schools.....needless to say, your comment that "big 6 schools were not signing non qualifiers to letters of intent in 1999" is wrong.  Sorry.  Some were not, but not all Big 6 which was your claim.  Incidentally, though not a Big 6 conference, the Mountain West and the WCC also did not allow NQ's....maybe those two were part of your Big 6?   ;)

The ACC, effective 8/1/96 and good through 7/2004 accepted no NQ's.    

The Big 12, you could accept them, but no aid or practice time with teams.

Pac Ten, Effective 8/1/97:  Entering freshmen fall 97 and thereafter:  NQ is permanently ineligible for comp, practice, or athletic aid. NQ who would be Q based only on core course deficiency may seek waiver through FARC after all NCAA waiver/ appeals exhausted. Non-recruited, no athletic aid, no athletic admission, no practice until 2nd year/no aid until 3rd year.

SEC:  Entering freshmen:  NQ receives No aid, comp, practice at any time unless minimum 2.25 core GPA with 820 SAT/68 SUMACT. May not receive aid, but must count in team financial aid limits. (Equiv. Sports count 0.5 GIA in first year and actual GIA in subsequent years).

BUT, Big East, Big Ten had no such policy on NQ's.

Just to note, outside of the Big 6, the NQ policy that would have accepted Wade without conditions included A-10, Big West, CUSA, Horizon, Missouri Valley as well as many smaller conferences.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »

Jeter a bit, but again the reality is to just listen to Wade.  He got letters from a number of schools which is standard for any kids in the top 250.  I mentioned here last year that I work with a woman who's son was on Gabe York's AAU team.  Her son was getting letters by the truckload from every school under the planet who was "recruiting him".  It's all in how people want to identify recruiting.  According to Wade, it was three schools and he only mentions TC by name. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »
Jeter a bit, but again the reality is to just listen to Wade.  He got letters from a number of schools which is standard for any kids in the top 250.  I mentioned here last year that I work with a woman who's son was on Gabe York's AAU team.  Her son was getting letters by the truckload from every school under the planet who was "recruiting him".  It's all in how people want to identify recruiting.  According to Wade, it was three schools and he only mentions TC by name. 

While I have no knowledge of the Wade situation, I do know that different people/families characterize the whole recruiting process very differently.  I know some people who have received emails, letters, etc. from dozens of DI athletic departments and don't believe that their kids are actually being "recruited" yet.  Noticed?  Yes...and that's a precursor to being recruited...but not recruited yet.  On the other hand, I know some people who, if their kid gets one email or letter requesting a questionnaire, they'll tell everyone who will listen that their kid is being recruited.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2014, 06:46:56 PM »
I saw most of it live as a few of my years crossed over with his.  I personally never saw his NBA career coming.  I didn't think he'd translate into nearly that good of a player.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2014, 10:27:11 PM »
While I have no knowledge of the Wade situation, I do know that different people/families characterize the whole recruiting process very differently.  I know some people who have received emails, letters, etc. from dozens of DI athletic departments and don't believe that their kids are actually being "recruited" yet.  Noticed?  Yes...and that's a precursor to being recruited...but not recruited yet.  On the other hand, I know some people who, if their kid gets one email or letter requesting a questionnaire, they'll tell everyone who will listen that their kid is being recruited.

Agree entirely