[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Those who watched Wade at MU  (Read 35294 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Those who watched Wade at MU
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »
Things that I have never seen before stick in my mind. You often see players let the ball roll up the court to save time. A St. Louis player was doing this and Wade quickly rushed in to steal the ball and scored. I have never seen that before and I have not seen it since.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 11:35:20 AM »
The real shame is had ODB stayed at MU, we probably win the title in 2003.

We lost to Kansas by 33 points...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 11:38:06 AM »
Wait a minute, all these people are saying that during his red shirt year NBA scouts were in the Old Gym watching Wade play.  Chicos paints a different picture.  Wade wasn't highly recruited, wasn't ranked highly in the recruit rankings, and frankly wouldn't be nearly the player he was without Tom Crean's incredible skill at developing his players.  Wade owes it all to Coach Crean.  Just ask Wade himself, Chicos will tell you.  Wade could not have possibly been as good as you all are saying he was while he was redshirting, he hadn't even had time for Crean to develop him, and he wasn't that good coming into Marquette.

Or is Tom Crean that good that you can give him 2 months with a guy and he goes from 10th best player in IL to 10th best player in college basketball?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »
That first tournament against I think Tennessee and Indiana finalized it for me.   Filled the stat sheet and his athleticism was a step above high DI athletes.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 11:41:16 AM »
Wait a minute, all these people are saying that during his red shirt year NBA scouts were in the Old Gym watching Wade play.  Chicos paints a different picture.  Wade wasn't highly recruited, wasn't ranked highly in the recruit rankings, and frankly wouldn't be nearly the player he was without Tom Crean's incredible skill at developing his players.  Wade owes it all to Coach Crean.  Just ask Wade himself, Chicos will tell you.  Wade could not have possibly been as good as you all are saying he was while he was redshirting, he hadn't even had time for Crean to develop him, and he wasn't that good coming into Marquette.

Or is Tom Crean that good that you can give him 2 months with a guy and he goes from 10th best player in IL to 10th best player in college basketball?

You're not allowed to complain about threads going off topic, about certain posters, etc. if you're going to take a great thread and poke the bear like this.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 12:05:13 PM »
The real shame is had ODB stayed at MU, we probably win the title in 2003.

Not so sure on this, to be honest. Townsend and Novak gave that team some sorely needed outside shooting that really balanced out the offense. If ODB had stayed, their minutes would have been limited.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »
We lost to Kansas by 33 points...

Macro, not micro. I didn't say "throw Blankson on the roster for the one game where Kansas smoked us and we would have won." I think he would have been a large enough additional piece to improve the team enough over the season to win the title.

They would have been measurably better with him on the team for a full season. In 01-02, he was the 3rd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder. He probably would have improved his numbers incrementally as well. If they beat #2 UL at home or manage not to blow those stupid games in Dayton or ECU that probably moves them up a seed line.

Maybe they wind up out of UK and KU's bracket and they wind up playing Texas in the National Semifinal and UK for the title. I ultimately think a bad day doomed the guys against Kansas. It's a single elimination tournament, that will happen. But I do believe that he would have been a big enough piece over a full season to have put them over the top.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
Macro, not micro. I didn't say "throw Blankson on the roster for the one game where Kansas smoked us and we would have won." I think he would have been a large enough additional piece to improve the team enough over the season to win the title.

They would have been measurably better with him on the team for a full season. In 01-02, he was the 3rd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder. He probably would have improved his numbers incrementally as well. If they beat #2 UL at home or manage not to blow those stupid games in Dayton or ECU that probably moves them up a seed line.

Maybe they wind up out of UK and KU's bracket and they wind up playing Texas in the National Semifinal and UK for the title. I ultimately think a bad day doomed the guys against Kansas. It's a single elimination tournament, that will happen. But I do believe that he would have been a big enough piece over a full season to have put them over the top.

When you get to the Final Four seed lines make no difference.  I just don't agree with you.  Kansas would've beaten us 100% of the time just based on game planning.  Even off of made baskets Kansas had the ball across half court before the shot clock hit "34" a majority of the time.  Marquette had no chance, and a year with ODB would not have changed that one bit.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »
Not so sure on this, to be honest. Townsend and Novak gave that team some sorely needed outside shooting that really balanced out the offense. If ODB had stayed, their minutes would have been limited.

Novak was a bench player that season anyways. Townsend's minutes would have been limited, true. But the one year they were on the team together, Blankson started ahead of Townsend.

Honestly, I don't think the added depth at the forward position would have hurt. A lineup with Merritt, Jackson, Blankson, Diener and Wade would have been quite formidable on both ends of the court.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 12:35:31 PM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »

Why?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »
Knew Wade was different than past Warriors when he went all pussification by sportin' IU panties.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »
Townsend couldn't shoot!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
I knew Wade was a stud when my kids and I went to see his Richards team play Eddy Curry's Thornwood team in a sectional playoff game.

Wade went for 18 points, 14 rebounds and 6 steals, had a couple amazing moves and one monster dunk.

That Richards won even after Wade fouled out with 2 1/2 minutes left in OT tells you all you need to know about Curry. He had a great game statistically but he wasn't a difference-maker.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »
Was not a believer until I saw him play in Alaska but Bob the barber at East Hall just raved about him pre season to anyone who would listen. The man never did that before in all the years I knew him.

I watched that first game in Alaska and I was a believer
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:35:49 PM by MarquetteDano »

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »
When did you know he'd be a special college player?

When did you know he'd be a special NBA player?

Well like the others I heard some of the chatter that he was the best player on the team during his non-playing year. Then the first few games that he played at home it was clear he was very talented. But in my admittedly imperfect memory, the thing that stands out is the Indiana game at the Great Alaskan Shootout. I was was listening on the radio to the game back at my parent's house, and around halftime we were just playing pathetically. I had to turn off the game to eat dinner or something and when I checked the online box score later I saw we had taken the lead! Later on reading the recaps and box score the story was that he had basically taken the team on his shoulders and willed them to victory. I think at that point I thought that he was going to be a special college player, taking leadership on a team so early in his career against a ranked opponent, rather than just being a very good player on a pretty good team.

Even after his incredible college career, there was great debate among my friends (some of whom were UW alums) about his pro prospects. I think the conventional wisdom was that he would have to be converted to a point guard because he was short for an NBA 2 and couldn't really shoot like an NBA 2, and yet he had never played the point in college. The range of opinion was that he would be a star to that he would get fewer NBA minutes than Tony Bennett (he was our reference point because he went to our high school). Anyways, I think it was within a week or two of his rookie season that every one of us knew that he was going to be a star and position wasn't important because he made things happen wherever he was on the court. And I'll agree with the others that his performance in the playoffs his first year was revealing. It was similar to the IU game his first college season where it seemed to show he was not just a star but a guy who could carry a team during big moments.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »
More wade highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ntRWbqOhM

Wow. Thought I remembered just how badly Kansas beat us but in the final 15 minutes of the first half and the first 5 minutes of the second we were outscored 56-17! Score went from 17-15 to 73-32. If Ol' Roy doesn't call off the dogs they easily beat us by 50.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »
Honestly, I knew he was athletic and he had NBA size at the 2.  I thought his jumper wasn't strong enough to be elite.  He definitely proved me wrong and in his prime, he had an amazing jumper to compliment his slashing ability.  I honestly didn't think he would be as good as he is.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
Townsend couldn't shoot!

He shot 39% from three that year, and seemed to hit a couple shots early in games to get them going.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 02:30:55 PM »
Novak was a bench player that season anyways. Townsend's minutes would have been limited, true. But the one year they were on the team together, Blankson started ahead of Townsend.

Honestly, I don't think the added depth at the forward position would have hurt. A lineup with Merritt, Jackson, Blankson, Diener and Wade would have been quite formidable on both ends of the court.
Novak hit the two threes to beat Missouri in overtime. The little guard from Texas also hit some timely threes, which I think was against Pittsburg. We were lucky to beat Holy Cross and Missouri. Replay the tournament and there is a good chance we do not get to the final four. The tournament can be a crap shoot. Uconn should of lost their fist game this year, but came back to beat St. Joe's in overtime.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2014, 02:49:06 PM »
Great Alaska Shootout.

ODB never should have left. The minutes would have worked themselves out.

Novak would have still had his special impact.

Townsend was awesome.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
I heard about him killing it in practice.  His first year playing I watched him at the Bradley.  It was an early game against some cupcakes.  He had it at the top of the key.  Easy dribbling and did a cross over, exploded down the middle of the lane, jumped, cupped it with his right hand and then dropped the hammer.  It was the change of pace that was super quick and the finish in traffic with authority.

Up to that point I had suffered with the Mike Deane,  jarod lovette, dick Shaw, Brian Wardle, Brian barone, unathletic plays.  This play was another level.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »
i was involved in coaching at the time, and saw him practice a few times while he was sitting...there was no doubt.  that said, i didn't think he'd ever do what he did in the playoffs during his first championship...or what he did over his career.  will be interesting to see if he can surprise again this year, but i'm afraid there isn't enough left in the tank. hope i'm wrong.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2014, 06:43:04 PM »
I remember running around New York City with my new and indulgent wife to get a sports bar to consider putting the MU game on satellite over the objection of the other patrons. There was no way to watch MU games at home back then and I was a Wade junkie.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
I think I knew how good he was going to be for us in Alaska when we played Indiana, and if I'm not mistaken he put in the go ahead bucket in the last minute.  I remember waking up my parents by screaming out loud when he hit the shot (I was only 12).   It was then or his reverse alley oop from Cordell Henry at Depaul.  The game was quite lopsided in our favor, because those 2 loved playing chicago teams.  I just remember that dunk being one of the best plays I'd seen and was super nervous when Wade cut his hand on the rim that it was something more serious.

He proved how special he was going to be that last 1/2 of his rookie year.  He had a Wade like stretch that jettisoned them into the playoffs, and when he finally had the spotlight on him he stepped up like he always did/does.  I think It's his team again this year and could see him putting up 21-23 ppg again.

feedback