[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bilas on Wojo/MU  (Read 20079 times)

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
Re: Bilas on Wojo/MU
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »
Although it's important who is driving the bus, it's more important who the bus driver picks up on his way to the destination.  I think Wojo will be a great bus driver.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
May wish to see them play before getting too jacked. Otherwise we might see a few bipolar events on the blog.

My thinking is controlled anticipation is a substantial part of the fun.  I try to remember Warren Zevon quote “Enjoy Every Sandwich”
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Bilas Article
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2014, 11:55:12 PM »
Really like Wojo's approach.  Gotta give Cords credit in his BBAll coaching hires.

I hope Wojo can take the ball and advance the program like Crean did from deane and like Buzz did from Crean.  I have tremendous confidence that Wojo is gonna elavate us even further.  For those that want to respond that he hasnt coached a game.  Remember just that, that its just a game and its a simple game.  Players play and recruiting is 90% of winning.  Dumb or arrogant basketball coaches always want to take credit for their coaching accumen, good coaches understand winning is done by the players and winning is done by winning in recruiting.  That is why Huggins, mocked Crean by calling him Tommy Naismith.  

(To my point, the reason guys like Huggins, Knight and amny others after huge early success did not win later in their careers is not becuase they became stupid and forgot everything they knew.  It was becuase their recruiting fell off.)

additionally, it is a tremendous pleasure to be able to read an article of this nature and not be immediately bombarded with 15 passive-aggressive posts by a certain banned poster.  hopefully the ban is permanent and we do not have the displeasure of having everything that is good about MU basketball pissed all over by a certain poster, as a feel good post devolves into a back and forth of MU fans and the resident troll who calls himself a fan but finds the need to only focus on the negative or negative possibilities all of the time.  hopefully the mods are reading this and giving it some though.

What we have here is a good ol' fashioned scoop fight.

(i've really just wanted to use that gif lately).
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:57 AM »
I, for one, have to admit not being enamored with the hire.  I had hoped we'd get a big name with experience instead of once again going the top assistant route.  But I couldn't be happier with how WOJO is turning out.  Yes, without coaching a game, but he's not only recruiting better than just about any other Warrior coach since I've been there, he's recruiting as well as almost anyone in the country.  It's also refreshing to hear him speak or read about something he said and actually think it is heartfelt, as opposed to "Bertspeak".

One other thing.....I know Bilas has the Dook connection for the article, but if there's a better analyst out there for college hoops, I can't think of him.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2014, 08:10:56 AM »
Peace in the middle east will come sooner.

Inshallah...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2014, 08:33:30 AM »
I, for one, have to admit not being enamored with the hire.  I had hoped we'd get a big name with experience instead of once again going the top assistant route.  But I couldn't be happier with how WOJO is turning out.  Yes, without coaching a game, but he's not only recruiting better than just about any other Warrior coach since I've been there, he's recruiting as well as almost anyone in the country.  It's also refreshing to hear him speak or read about something he said and actually think it is heartfelt, as opposed to "Bertspeak".

One other thing.....I know Bilas has the Dook connection for the article, but if there's a better analyst out there for college hoops, I can't think of him.

Thanks for the honest admission.

Had Shaka really been the guy, he would have been a no-brainer, but when that didn't happen I was happy to go the top-assistant route. Every other head coach we reportedly considered came with some kind of baggage. Plus, our previous two top-assistant hires turned out to be pretty darn good.

And FWIW, I agree completely about Bilas. He's by far the best college buckets analyst. If he's a 10, I'm not sure who even would be a 9 or 8.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
I'm going to enjoy all of the wojo speak right now.

When he leaves, I'll rip on him and talk about how fake he is.

Am I doing it right?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2014, 10:50:36 AM »
I'm going to enjoy all of the wojo speak right now.

When he leaves, I'll rip on him and talk about how fake he is.

Am I doing it right?

Pay your money........Take your Choice!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2014, 11:13:12 AM »
Wojo comes off as more genuine than Crean, while being more media savvy than Buzz was.

He's doing a great job building his brand so far.

That's really all we know about Wojo.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2014, 02:48:12 PM »
Wojo comes off as more genuine than Crean, while being more media savvy than Buzz was.

He's doing a great job building his brand so far.

That's really all we know about Wojo.

We know he can recruit.  And that is very important. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »
We know he can recruit.  And that is very important. 

That's very true. We know that he's a great relationship builder; winning over our players, former players and recruits alike.