Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Disadvantage of Tower Hall  (Read 28504 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Disadvantage of Tower Hall
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 08:39:40 PM »
Lived in CT, I enjoyed the quiet... and at the end of the hall allowed quiet drinking w/o RA interruption. Wouldn't be so bad for players it's a short walk to Johnston hall.

Wojo's players will all be at the Engineering building, though. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 10:56:29 PM »
Thanks. It was East Hall when I was there. I seem to remember it was pretty outdated and I thought the school was selling it. Did they renovate?

There were major renovations in the early 2000s. It was the nicest dorm on campus when I was there.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 11:37:22 PM »
There were major renovations in the early 2000s. It was the nicest dorm on campus when I was there.

When we did tours through East/Straz, the single rooms were the main attraction. The location with a downstairs gym and barber shop were pluses.

Negatives: distance from most of the campus; cross the bridge; closer to downtown and transients; cafeteria food and social life.
SS Marquette

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 12:30:34 AM »
We just won't tell them that you ever lived there.  Problem solved.
The Freshman live in Carpenter Tower or Mashuda this year.

And the Sophmores in McCabe Hall which is a very nice building newly renovated, and of course the upperclassmen in Humphrey Apartments.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 09:39:03 AM »
When we did tours through East/Straz, the single rooms were the main attraction. The location with a downstairs gym and barber shop were pluses.

Negatives: distance from most of the campus; cross the bridge; closer to downtown and transients; cafeteria food and social life.

It was no fun slogging across that bridge after a snow storm.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »
It was no fun slogging across that bridge after a snow storm.

Crossing that bridge from November until April has to be one of the worst experiences you will have at MU. I will never forget the misery of that trudge as long as I live.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »
Do the Lady Warriors live in the Virgin Vault?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »
I loved Straz when I lived there 2 years ago. Best dorm food on campus. Though that was a cold walk in December and January. 4ever, I think the womens team lives in Carpenter as well, although our names for cobeen have gotten much more vulgar over the years apparently.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 02:32:40 PM »
Lived in East Hall (now Straz) my sophomore year.  That was right after the 2nd round of renovations.  They renovated half of it each year for two years.  My frosh year, their were numerous sprinkler malfunctions (the regular kind not ZFB's sprinkler malfunctions) but that was all ironed out by the time I lived their.  Lived in a very roomy triple.

Highlights:
Best Cafeteria on campus
Private bathrooms
Rec Plex (despite the dead spot on the basketball court near one of the baskets)
Barbershop
I was a Comm major so I got to enjoy the short walks to Johnston Hall
Freeway standing on the bridge everyday with an Aldi's bag

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
Lived in East Hall (now Straz) my sophomore year.  That was right after the 2nd round of renovations.  They renovated half of it each year for two years.  My frosh year, their were numerous sprinkler malfunctions (the regular kind not ZFB's sprinkler malfunctions) but that was all ironed out by the time I lived their.  Lived in a very roomy triple.

When I lived there, it was only doubles and quads. Might explain why your triple was so roomy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 11:35:49 PM »
I am confident that this issue will be resolved by next year.

At least in this article, doesn't sound like Duke basketball players are living in the lap of luxury. 

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2013/02/05/duke-basketballs-rodney-hood-finds-frustration-transfer-travel-restrictions

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 12:06:06 AM »

At least in this article, doesn't sound like Duke basketball players are living in the lap of luxury. 

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2013/02/05/duke-basketballs-rodney-hood-finds-frustration-transfer-travel-restrictions

Restrictions on internet? Probably not.

How many kids these days watch TV? They don't watch it just to watch TV anymore; it's really become "white noise" while they search the net, text friends, watch videos, etc.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 01:16:25 AM »
Restrictions on internet? Probably not.

How many kids these days watch TV? They don't watch it just to watch TV anymore; it's really become "white noise" while they search the net, text friends, watch videos, etc.

I would expect they like to watch a live sporting event or two, which are mostly on tv.   Looks like they are living in the dorms at Duke as Freshmen and Sophomores.  I may be wrong.  I believe at Notre Dame there are no athletic dorms, freshmen and sophomores live amongst their peers.  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--at-notre-dame--campus-life-differs-little-for-student-and-football-star-151519405.html

Stanford...same thing.  http://tusb.stanford.edu/2010/12/our-athletes-are-better-than-yours.html

UCLA...same thing....they don't even charter and have to get into Southwest Airlines planes like the rest of the cattle.   http://blog.admissions.ucla.edu/2012/03/07/ucla-student-athletes/

I'd be curious to see if the policy is changed at MU, as certainly some of the best athletic programs in the country can perform at high levels while integrating students athletes with their peers and still enjoy success.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »
I've never seen the rooms in McCabe or Straz, but all the other dorms are pretty terrible. Don't get me wrong I loved my time in McCormick and Wally Hall, but by no means were they nice dorms. Those other schools where the athletes live with the general population probably have nicer dorms overall...and they definitely have better food.
Bring back FFP!!!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 09:47:57 AM »
At UCLA, I've been told, the basketball playas have single rooms. Not the case during the summer where they roomed with a teammate in a different dorm. BTW, when you're 6' 9" there ain't alotta leg room on Southwest. Even seat guru.com ain't gonna help, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »
I would expect they like to watch a live sporting event or two, which are mostly on tv.   Looks like they are living in the dorms at Duke as Freshmen and Sophomores.  I may be wrong.  I believe at Notre Dame there are no athletic dorms, freshmen and sophomores live amongst their peers.  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--at-notre-dame--campus-life-differs-little-for-student-and-football-star-151519405.html

Stanford...same thing.  http://tusb.stanford.edu/2010/12/our-athletes-are-better-than-yours.html

UCLA...same thing....they don't even charter and have to get into Southwest Airlines planes like the rest of the cattle.   http://blog.admissions.ucla.edu/2012/03/07/ucla-student-athletes/

I'd be curious to see if the policy is changed at MU, as certainly some of the best athletic programs in the country can perform at high levels while integrating students athletes with their peers and still enjoy success.

Having seen the dorms at all of the universities you have listed except for Stanford, I can safely tell you that the "dorms" at these schools are nicer than the Humphery apartments.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »
Having seen the dorms at all of the universities you have listed except for Stanford, I can safely tell you that the "dorms" at these schools are nicer than the Humphery apartments.

Understood, but where I'm coming from is that those schools don't have specialized athletic dorms (technically no one does since 51% of a dorm must be general students) that are taj mahals vs the normal dorm other students stay in.  To me, that's part of the problem when you are putting certain people on a pedestal...sure, many will argue you have to do that to recruit, etc.  My point is that many successful programs prove out that you don't need to do that and it might benefit the student athlete better in the long run having them actually live amongst non student athletes.  Just an opinion.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 08:06:33 PM »
Understood, but where I'm coming from is that those schools don't have specialized athletic dorms (technically no one does since 51% of a dorm must be general students) that are taj mahals vs the normal dorm other students stay in.  To me, that's part of the problem when you are putting certain people on a pedestal...sure, many will argue you have to do that to recruit, etc.  My point is that many successful programs prove out that you don't need to do that and it might benefit the student athlete better in the long run having them actually live amongst non student athletes.  Just an opinion.   

I have nothing against athletes living in the general population - I even like the idea philosophically. But athletes in the revenue producing sports ARE more valuable than the normal student. Great that UCLA, Duke and Stanford have fantastic dormitory facilities for all students. Wish MU did too. We don't. Having our athletes live in crummy dorms because other students do is silly and will hurt our efforts to compete.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2014, 09:25:36 PM »

So because basketball players at UCLA stay in nice dorms, Marquette players should stay in dumpy ones?  Or are you saying Marquette needs a major dorm overhaul?  I'd favor the dorm upgrades that benefit everyone.  Then the value of living among the general student population is a positive and not a negative.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 09:30:55 PM »
I have nothing against athletes living in the general population - I even like the idea philosophically. But athletes in the revenue producing sports ARE more valuable than the normal student. Great that UCLA, Duke and Stanford have fantastic dormitory facilities for all students. Wish MU did too. We don't. Having our athletes live in crummy dorms because other students do is silly and will hurt our efforts to compete.

Has it hurt?  I know that was Buzz's argument, but based on the last two recruiting classes....from a rankings perspective it doesn't seem to.

If we land a top 5 class this year, does that mean we should expect top 3 if we change the policies?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »

So because basketball players at UCLA stay in nice dorms, Marquette players should stay in dumpy ones?  Or are you saying Marquette needs a major dorm overhaul?  I'd favor the dorm upgrades that benefit everyone.  Then the value of living among the general student population is a positive and not a negative.

I'd love to see an upgrade for everyone, my point is it doesn't seem like the current dorms are hurting MU's recruiting efforts both for students or student athletes. Every one of us chose MU, sure the living arrangements were important, but they were way down the list on why I chose to attend MU.  I suspect that is the same for most student athletes.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »
Has it hurt?  I know that was Buzz's argument, but based on the last two recruiting classes....from a rankings perspective it doesn't seem to.

If we land a top 5 class this year, does that mean we should expect top 3 if we change the policies?

Let's get real Chicos.  All things are not equal in recruiting.  Trying to recruit to Milwaukee, WI aint the same as trying to recruit to Westwood and Palo Alto, CA.  Notre Dame?  While, it has the mystique.

Now, Stillwater, Oklahoma?  Hmm.  Not a lot to sell geographically there, so what does Boone Pickens do?  Builds amazing facilities and residences for the athletes.

There is simply zero reason to make recruiting anymore difficult and challenging than it already is.

Where are basketball players at IU housed? 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 05:41:47 AM »
Let's get real Chicos.  All things are not equal in recruiting.  Trying to recruit to Milwaukee, WI aint the same as trying to recruit to Westwood and Palo Alto, CA.  Notre Dame?  While, it has the mystique.

Now, Stillwater, Oklahoma?  Hmm.  Not a lot to sell geographically there, so what does Boone Pickens do?  Builds amazing facilities and residences for the athletes.

There is simply zero reason to make recruiting anymore difficult and challenging than it already is.

Where are basketball players at IU housed? 

Not saying they are equal, but again I'm pointing to the results.  If we land Ellenson and get a top 5 class with the current policy, what does changing the policy do?  Top 3?  Seems to me the current policy didn't hurt us from landing a very good class two years ago, what would have been a good class this last year if not for Buzz leaving and kids opting out, and Wojo landing a very good class.  Have we ever thought that some kids and their families WANT their kids to enjoy the college experience with their peers?  That's one of the big selling points at some of the schools I mentioned.  I could go on with Vanderbilt and many others.

I do not know where student athletes are housed at IU today.  Back when I was there, as freshmen and sophomores they lived in the dorms like everyone else. I don't know if they had roommates, or whatever, but the kid next door could be an Engineering student from DeKalb or a biology student from Stockholm, whatever. That may not be the case anymore.  When I was at KU, football and basketball players lived in on campus apartments.  Calvin Rayford, Dana Stubblefield and Gilbert Brown all lived in the same apartment building I did....it was not that great.  Having said that, KU is building an athletics dorm now for basketball, men's and women's.

I totally get it, I'm just curious what the pay off is since many schools do just fine with this philosophy and MU hasn't been hurt by it if one looks at the results of late.  There are some significant societal benefits to taking that approach.  Plenty of benefits for building nice digs, as well, but also some downside that should be factored in.  In my opinion.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 07:27:41 AM »
http://thebiglead.com/2012/11/14/john-calipari-tours-the-kentucky-basketball-dorm-video/

With the talk of Henry's Kentucky visit, check out the Kentucky basketball suites "dorms". Truly an NBA factory, and one thing that stands out to me is Cal's pitch that the bathroom sinks are made for 7-footers. I'd be jumping to try to wash my hands.

This was posted here a year or so back, so you have already seen it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
Not saying they are equal, but again I'm pointing to the results.  If we land Ellenson and get a top 5 class with the current policy, what does changing the policy do?  Top 3?  Seems to me the current policy didn't hurt us from landing a very good class two years ago, what would have been a good class this last year if not for Buzz leaving and kids opting out, and Wojo landing a very good class.  Have we ever thought that some kids and their families WANT their kids to enjoy the college experience with their peers?  That's one of the big selling points at some of the schools I mentioned.  I could go on with Vanderbilt and many others.

I do not know where student athletes are housed at IU today.  Back when I was there, as freshmen and sophomores they lived in the dorms like everyone else. I don't know if they had roommates, or whatever, but the kid next door could be an Engineering student from DeKalb or a biology student from Stockholm, whatever. That may not be the case anymore.  When I was at KU, football and basketball players lived in on campus apartments.  Calvin Rayford, Dana Stubblefield and Gilbert Brown all lived in the same apartment building I did....it was not that great.  Having said that, KU is building an athletics dorm now for basketball, men's and women's.

I totally get it, I'm just curious what the pay off is since many schools do just fine with this philosophy and MU hasn't been hurt by it if one looks at the results of late.  There are some significant societal benefits to taking that approach.  Plenty of benefits for building nice digs, as well, but also some downside that should be factored in.  In my opinion.

Tear down the Al McGuire Center! Marquette's best players (Thompson, Meminger, Lucas, Ellis, Lee, Wade, etc.) came here when the team practiced at the old gym! Bring back Willie Wampum! Let's be an Independent! That's when we had our greatest success!

C'mon, Chico, just because an ill equipped army wins a few battles it doesn't mean you keep them that way. I know your instincts cause you to look backwards for solutions but thinking that putting our basketball players in really crummy dorms won't hurt us in the long run makes zero sense.