[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Advantage of Being In an NBA Town  (Read 16731 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Advantage of Being In an NBA Town
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2014, 10:02:19 PM »
Retaining players is the least of my Bucks concerns
1) The NBA sets its Cap / Contracts to make it advantageous for guys to stay
2) Ray Allen was pissed when he was traded
3) Sam and Glenn loved it here
4) Ryan Braun, Yovanni, Lucroy and others have signed long terms deals with the Brewers
5) Larry Sanders stayed and it was just 12 months ago that every NBA team would have taken LARRY SANDERS!

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
For the record, I don't think we should replace the Bradley Center floor with blue turf!

Better than red turf

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2014, 10:15:14 PM »
Retaining players is the least of my Bucks concerns
1) The NBA sets its Cap / Contracts to make it advantageous for guys to stay
2) Ray Allen was pissed when he was traded
3) Sam and Glenn loved it here
4) Ryan Braun, Yovanni, Lucroy and others have signed long terms deals with the Brewers
5) Larry Sanders stayed and it was just 12 months ago that every NBA team would have taken LARRY SANDERS!

Milwaukee is a nice city, would live there again.  I'm sure many of the NBA players enjoyed their time in brew city, though as much as they love it I also doubt many are coming back to retire.  Current players, if they have plans on globalizing their brand, are likely not to stay with those teams in those smaller cities.  Though, to your point the new CBA at least gives those teams a fighting chance now.  We'll see how it plays out ultimately.  A Lebron back in Cleveland changes the dynamics for a city like that, but he's also from NE Ohio.  Can a Milwaukee, Ok City, Charlotte, New Orleans, Portland, Indiana, etc retain players for the long haul if they are top 10% talent levels?  Exception or rule? 

I guess the question I would ask, would you foresee a Mike Trout signing with Milwaukee in free agency?  Or LebBron?  Or Stanton?  Etc?  Maybe, but it's hard for me to see it.  NFL a different animal.  I could be wrong...I often am.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2014, 11:35:47 PM »
For the record, I don't think we should replace the Bradley Center floor with blue turf!

You, sir, are simply not a visionary.   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »

One the local schools, University of New Haven built a blue turf field for their DII football team.  Their school colors are light blue & yellow.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »

I guess the question I would ask, would you foresee a Mike Trout signing with Milwaukee in free agency?  Or LebBron?  Or Stanton?  Etc?  Maybe, but it's hard for me to see it.  NFL a different animal.  I could be wrong...I often am.

Baseball is diffrent because there's no cap (which I know you know). I was in school during the CC Sabathia trade and when they tried to sign him after the season. The rumor was that he really liked Milwaukee and wanted to stay, but he couldn't pass up the money that the Yankees dished out. If the Brewers were able to match teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Cubs, etc then yeah I would think that players would sign with them. Especially if they've already played for the team and lived in the city.

NBA is a totally diffrent ballgame. Serious question, have the Bucks ever signed someone to a max deal?
Bring back FFP!!!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 08:29:04 AM »
I think the new owners bring a lot of positive PR to the team and you see excitement slowly start to build.

At least one of the new owners is a meddler. A wannabe Mark Cuban or Jerry Jones who fancies himself the smartest person in the room and likely is when that room is focused on something that isn't running an NBA franchise. Just go back and look at how stupid he was in the run-up to the draft when he said "we're taking either Jabari or Wiggins," and left the GM to play that back to save any chance of leveraging a trade if it was desired.

No, these owners are good for two things only: Keeping the team in Milwaukee and getting a new stadium built. They will meddle and deep-six any chance of the Bucks playing for a title.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
Milwaukee is a nice city, would live there again.  I'm sure many of the NBA players enjoyed their time in brew city, though as much as they love it I also doubt many are coming back to retire.  Current players, if they have plans on globalizing their brand, are likely not to stay with those teams in those smaller cities.  Though, to your point the new CBA at least gives those teams a fighting chance now.  We'll see how it plays out ultimately.  A Lebron back in Cleveland changes the dynamics for a city like that, but he's also from NE Ohio.  Can a Milwaukee, Ok City, Charlotte, New Orleans, Portland, Indiana, etc retain players for the long haul if they are top 10% talent levels?  Exception or rule? 

I guess the question I would ask, would you foresee a Mike Trout signing with Milwaukee in free agency?  Or LebBron?  Or Stanton?  Etc?  Maybe, but it's hard for me to see it.  NFL a different animal.  I could be wrong...I often am.

The Bucks don't need to sign Durant to win.  They need this new core to (a) mature, (b) live up to potential and (c) re-sign with the Bucks.  (c) is the least of my worries. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2014, 10:11:23 AM »
The bulls have helped DePaul so much oh wait...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2014, 10:14:57 AM »

I guess the question I would ask, would you foresee a Mike Trout signing with Milwaukee in free agency?  Or LebBron?  Or Stanton?  Etc?  Maybe, but it's hard for me to see it.  NFL a different animal.  I could be wrong...I often am.

Furthermore, we may not get Mike Trout but the Brewers have signed

Matt Garza
Kyle Lohse
Aramis Ramirez
Trevor Hoffman

When the Brewers have lost a guy to free agency its as much a dollars deal as it is the market.  Grienke / Prince / CC didn't sign elsewhere to leave the city but rather they took the biggest pay day. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:18:42 AM by The Lens »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2014, 10:16:06 AM »
Baseball is diffrent because there's no cap (which I know you know). I was in school during the CC Sabathia trade and when they tried to sign him after the season. The rumor was that he really liked Milwaukee and wanted to stay, but he couldn't pass up the money that the Yankees dished out. If the Brewers were able to match teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Cubs, etc then yeah I would think that players would sign with them. Especially if they've already played for the team and lived in the city.

NBA is a totally diffrent ballgame. Serious question, have the Bucks ever signed someone to a max deal?

Michael Redd.  Good stuff.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »
Michael Redd.  Good stuff.

When Ray wanted to come back, too. Sigh.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2014, 12:24:11 PM »
The bulls have helped DePaul so much oh wait...

I think playing in the same arena as the team is a big part of the connection. Obviously DePaul doesn't get that advantage.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »
I think playing in the same arena as the team is a big part of the connection. Obviously DePaul doesn't get that advantage.

Or playing in the same zip code...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2014, 09:54:16 PM »

There is a luxury tax in baseball, which acts as a soft cap.  The reason I'm not sure I buy your argument is that very few if any go back and retire in Milwaukee when their playing days are done. Nothing is preventing them from doing so.  Personally, I love Milwaukee and could live there again in a heartbeat, but I suspect many players that say they love Milwaukee probably do to an extent (less pressure, less media), but not enough to make it their home. There is a difference in my opinion. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2014, 09:55:07 PM »
The Bucks don't need to sign Durant to win.  They need this new core to (a) mature, (b) live up to potential and (c) re-sign with the Bucks.  (c) is the least of my worries. 

Letter "C" is the key.  Do you think they will?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 10:01:05 PM »
Furthermore, we may not get Mike Trout but the Brewers have signed

Matt Garza
Kyle Lohse
Aramis Ramirez
Trevor Hoffman

When the Brewers have lost a guy to free agency its as much a dollars deal as it is the market.  Grienke / Prince / CC didn't sign elsewhere to leave the city but rather they took the biggest pay day. 

Those guys are good, not great.  Hoffman being signed at age 41? Eh.  Kyle Lohse, 34yr old pitcher when he was signed...back 9 of his career.  Ramirez is good.  Garza...to this day I've never understood the love.  Career .500 pitcher who is .500 again this year.  Don't think he has ever even made an all-star game once in his major league career. 

I'm talking about landing someone that makes you go WOW.  Don't see it happening for any of the Milwaukee sports.  Packers are a different story because of the cap as players have to go where the money is, whether that's GB, Buffalo, Jax, or bigger markets.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »
Milwaukeans don't retire in Milwaukee! 

And I'm sorry our free agents haven't impressed you but the Brewers have pretty much gotten who ever they wanted when the money was there.  Ramirez started in the ASG this season and Lohse and Garza both have helped build one of MLB's top staffs. 

And I have zero worries about Giannis or Parker re-signing.  Zero.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »
Milwaukeans don't retire in Milwaukee! 

And I'm sorry our free agents haven't impressed you but the Brewers have pretty much gotten who ever they wanted when the money was there.  Ramirez started in the ASG this season and Lohse and Garza both have helped build one of MLB's top staffs. 

And I have zero worries about Giannis or Parker re-signing.  Zero.

Plenty of Milwaukeans retire in Milwaukee.  Half of my wife's family did and are buried in the ground up there.

I'm not dissing your free agents, I'm merely going back to the original context about luring great players, a la Reggie White to GB.  Those players you listed are good, not great...in fact I would argue one is average and one was on the final two holes of his career (for the record, I am a HUGE Hoffman fan...he's from the area, went to Savanna High very close, went to Cypress college which I could probably walk to from here).  Hoffman had a very nice year his second to last year, but clearly was done in the second....I'm glad he retired at that point.

It would not surprise me if Parker doesn't resign.  Giannis...eh...he's not that great...yet, which is my overall point.   If he becomes great, I don't think he stays.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »
Chicos, do you realize the last player the Bucks lost to free agency trade whom they wanted to keep was Kareem?

That was 1976.  Since then they have retained everyone they wanted.

And don't bet against Giannis. He will be a legend. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:34:38 AM by The Lens »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »
Chicos, do you realize the last player the Bucks lost to free agency trade whom they wanted to keep was Kareem?

That was 1976.  Since then they have retained everyone they wanted.

And don't bet against Giannis. He will be a legend. 

I know that most of the last 25 years the Bucks have sucked, but if they have been able to retain those sucky players to remain sucky, then they have accomplished something.   :)

I still go back to the original statement, can they LURE a great player to Milwaukee?  I have my doubts.

Giannis may end up being great, he's young and has potential.  Will he stay?  We shall see. 

feedback