[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Advantage of Being In an NBA Town  (Read 16793 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Advantage of Being In an NBA Town
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »
I think this picture tells it all. It is a big plus for MU to be in an NBA town and share an arena. I think Wojo understands this and is using it to our advantage.
https://twitter.com/MarquetteHoops/status/510862879349039104/photo/1

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Advantage of Being In an NBA Town
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »
Whatever strategy Wojo is using its sure as hell working. Its that Wojo Mojo. So long as he isn't doing anything Brent or Calapari shady I am ok with it.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
Just thinking a little about this.... I feel like Milwaukee in particular is a unique NBA town for a school like MU. Since MU and Bucks are two of the 3/4 top attractions in town, it seems natural for them to pair up for events/players to swing by MU's awesome practice facilities.

Even if DePaul got their act together and became perennial top-25, I just don't see the Bulls doing the same kind of thing with them. Same with Detroit & OU/UDM.... etc.

I'm sure I'm missing some but which NBA team plays in a market with a standout BBall program there with a huge commitment to MBB?

LA? Philly? Memphis?

Do they interact much?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »
Just thinking a little about this.... I feel like Milwaukee in particular is a unique NBA town for a school like MU. Since MU and Bucks are two of the 3/4 top attractions in town, it seems natural for them to pair up for events/players to swing by MU's awesome practice facilities.

Even if DePaul got their act together and became perennial top-25, I just don't see the Bulls doing the same kind of thing with them. Same with Detroit & OU/UDM.... etc.

I'm sure I'm missing some but which NBA team plays in a market with a standout BBall program there with a huge commitment to MBB?

LA? Philly? Memphis?

Do they interact much?

No clue if they interact much, but Memphis is a very similar sized market with NBA, major college bball and not much else in the way of major league sports... so I could see that be an analogous type of situation

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »
Let's admit that this is a bit of a unique situation.  Wojo is Jabari's former coach and they appear close.  At the same time, STjr. is Jabari's close friend and HS teammate.  I'd frankly be surprised if Jabari didn't occasionally hang with the guys in Kasten.  They're all 18-21 year old kids.  Now if he wasn't on the local NBA team that wouldn't be possible but let's not suggest that it's routine for NBA guys to hang at the local college.  On the contrary, Jimmy makes somewhat frequent trips to MKE from Chicago when he can.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 02:53:36 PM »
It is kind of a perfect storm as far as Jabari goes. As some may recall, he was at Marq Madness a couple years ago in support of STJr. while on crutches for his foot injury as a senior in high school. Kind of wild he ended up with the Bucks, especially just as Wojo comes to town.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
And the best part about Jabari is that right now, he's just a shiny new toy, but as he gets better, his connection to Wojo will mean that much more.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 03:19:34 PM »
And the best part about Jabari is that right now, he's just a shiny new toy, but as he gets better, his connection to Wojo will mean that much more.

Unfortunately, like every other star, he will probably want to leave Milwaukee as soon as he proves himself.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 03:53:11 PM »
Unfortunately, like every other star, he will probably want to leave Milwaukee as soon as he proves himself.

Most want to leave before they prove themselves.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »
Let's admit that this is a bit of a unique situation.  Wojo is Jabari's former coach and they appear close.  At the same time, STjr. is Jabari's close friend and HS teammate.  I'd frankly be surprised if Jabari didn't occasionally hang with the guys in Kasten.  They're all 18-21 year old kids.  Now if he wasn't on the local NBA team that wouldn't be possible but let's not suggest that it's routine for NBA guys to hang at the local college.  On the contrary, Jimmy makes somewhat frequent trips to MKE from Chicago when he can.

I love it when JFEB comes to town!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 04:31:22 PM »

If the Bucks start winning, players will want to play in Milwaukee. 

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
NBA players stop by Georgetown all the time. And not just alumni. Teams facing the Wizards often use McDonough for some extra practice and Wizards players and DC natives stop by during the summer to play pick up. John Wall and Durant stop by every summer since being in the league. Obviously all the Georgetown Alumni come back all the time as well. Heck I even remember players tweeting photos with your boy Dwayne Wade last year.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »
No clue if they interact much, but Memphis is a very similar sized market with NBA, major college bball and not much else in the way of major league sports... so I could see that be an analogous type of situation
? Except for the major league sports team in Milwaukee.......

Milwaukee Brewers.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 04:50:54 PM »

If the Bucks start winning, players will want to play in Milwaukee. 

chicken and egg thing

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 04:51:29 PM »
? Except for the major league sports team in Milwaukee.......

Milwaukee Brewers.

Oh, I thought they were minor league.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
You were thinking of the Cubs.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »
Gotcha. On 9/15

MKE 6 games over 500......cubs 19 under.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 06:14:49 PM »
Gotcha. On 9/15

MKE 6 games over 500......cubs 19 under.

Was actually pointing out that submarine act by the Brewers known as regression to the mean.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »
I'm not sure what it was like before the Kevin O'Neill era, but during his time, the old gym and even the rec center were frequented by NBA players from Milwaukee and Bucks players, playing pick-up ball with the MU team during the summer.  I'd even occasionally see some other very good pro athletes there playing hoops.  Paul Molitor was there a few times and was an amazing player.  

Hope Wojo can bring back the same approach.  
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 07:01:37 PM »
Was actually pointing out that submarine act by the Brewers known as regression to the mean.
Yeah--got it.
I think you have to be at the top in order to collapse.
As for the cubbies....... Well we all know that story.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 07:06:43 PM »
Well, if we're talking TOP, top. Then the Brewers haven't been there!

Ugh, don't use Cubbies. That's one tradition (amongst too many others) that can get Aids and die.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
Get AIDS and die?

Ok we're done.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 07:17:27 PM »
Get AIDS and die?

Ok we're done.
What are you
Talking about?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
I've seen the Bulls and Knicks at the Al. Granted they had MU players on them at the time. There was always the story about Crowder and Carlos Arroyo getting into it at the Al when the Heat played there.