'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What was Coach K thinking?  (Read 6595 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
What was Coach K thinking?
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »
Derrick Rose shot it like Derrick Wilson's less talented little brother (5%, 1-19 from 3, under 40% overall) in the FIBA World Championships. Yet Coach K stubbornly, egotistically, insanely had him on the roster and insisted on giving him big minutes. Was he trying to throw those games? Maybe there wasn't an established star like Magic Dawsome on the bench to take his minutes, but 5%? Seriously? Dude should turn in his whistle.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: What was Coach K thinking?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
At least it is in its own thread. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »
I'm not sure I'll get to wear my flip flops any more in WI this year. I'm really disappointed with the weather in the past week.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 11:14:20 AM »
Derrick Rose shot it like Derrick Wilson's less talented little brother (5%, 1-19 from 3, under 40% overall) in the FIBA World Championships. Yet Coach K stubbornly, egotistically, insanely had him on the roster and insisted on giving him big minutes. Was he trying to throw those games? Maybe there wasn't an established star like Magic Dawsome on the bench to take his minutes, but 5%? Seriously? Dude should turn in his whistle.

I know you're being hilarious here ... but I'm quite sure that if the only change to the roster had been Derrick Rose being cut and either Derrick or Dawson being added, the U.S. still would have won the tournament.

Easily.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
I know you're being hilarious here ... but I'm quite sure that if the only change to the roster had been Derrick Rose being cut and either Derrick or Dawson being added, the U.S. still would have won the tournament.

Easily.

Thank you for understanding that it was a joke. Hell, Coach K could have given a roster spot to a complete and utter idiot - you know, one of those inferior beings who never balled on the high school varsity - and still won.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »

Yeah, he better not quit his day job!!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »

Derrick Ellenson Rose takes care of the ball and is a game changer on defense.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »
Derrick Ellenson Rose takes care of the ball and is a game changer on defense.

Pay the man, Shirley.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 10:42:04 PM »
Derrick Ellenson Wilson Rose takes care of the ball and is a slasher and game changer on defense.
FIFY
Goal is National Championship

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »

LOL - Still grasping at straws over last season and your flawed analysis and take on Buzz Williams actual coaching/character?

But, I will indulge you.  Pretty sure one Derrick mentioned has an NBA MVP under his belt...perhaps that earns him a little slack.  I didn't get to see the FIBA games but I'm going to guess Rose was guarded everywhere on the floor, and was also breaking people down off the dribble consistently?  The other?  Well, not so much.  Not even a 0.01 Value Add as a Junior.  The key point of course being that you don't need an "established star like Magic Dawsome" to likely see any improvement over 0.00 Value Add in 977 minutes of basketball. But let's face it, to quote you:  "It could have gotten worse.  Much worse."  (With Magic Dawesome running the point.)  Hard to get worse than a 0.00 Value Add, 17-15, and missed NIT.

I know you can do better Lenny.  This thread was beyond cheesy.  Even for you.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »
LOL - Still grasping at straws over last season and your flawed analysis and take on Buzz Williams actual coaching/character?

But, I will indulge you.  Pretty sure one Derrick mentioned has an NBA MVP under his belt...perhaps that earns him a little slack.  I didn't get to see the FIBA games but I'm going to guess Rose was guarded everywhere on the floor, and was also breaking people down off the dribble consistently?  The other?  Well, not so much.  Not even a 0.01 Value Add as a Junior.  The key point of course being that you don't need an "established star like Magic Dawsome" to likely see any improvement over 0.00 Value Add in 977 minutes of basketball. But let's face it, to quote you:  "It could have gotten worse.  Much worse."  (With Magic Dawesome running the point.)  Hard to get worse than a 0.00 Value Add, 17-15, and missed NIT.

Ners.  Don't know you but, It's ok to let stuff go once in a while. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »

Ners, it was a JOKE. For the few humorless folks out there who wouldn't get that I even spelled it out. Step off the ledge. You have WAY too much of your self worth tied up in the Derrick sucks/Dawson's good/Buzz threw games meme. You've taken the pledge to drop the subject several times, but the numerous falls off of that wagon have turned your addiction uglier. What started as a disagreement with a coach's strategy has morphed into "Anyone who doesn't see it my way is an idiot". I don't think that's the guy you want to be.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »

I even had a gif of a lure early in the thread
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »
Ners, it was a JOKE. For the few humorless folks out there who wouldn't get that I even spelled it out. Step off the ledge. You have WAY too much of your self worth tied up in the Derrick sucks/Dawson's good/Buzz threw games meme. You've taken the pledge to drop the subject several times, but the numerous falls off of that wagon have turned your addiction uglier. What started as a disagreement with a coach's strategy has morphed into "Anyone who doesn't see it my way is an idiot". I don't think that's the guy you want to be.

An idiot AND an adversary.  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:55:41 AM by tower-ELLENSON-912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »
The ignore button is pure gold.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »

I even had a gif of a lure early in the thread

Thanks for reminding us.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
  Ners.  Don't know you but, It's ok to let stuff go once in a while. 

I have no problem letting things go...but...I also know the original post wasn't actually a joke...much as Lenny wants to say it was...there are plenty of posts in Lenny's history that illustrate his intention in posting this was far from a joke.  Lenny to this day hasn't been able to be critical of anything pertaining to Buzz.  So now we have a LAME attempt/stretch/reach to try to justify the coaching decision Buzz made last season.

I know the post was intended to elicit a reaction from me...which I was happy to provide.  I personally don't care if the 5-7 guys that battled me all year long on Buzz's coaching decisions/playing time allocation want to induce a reaction out of me.  I have no problem obliging so long as they continue to post idiotic stuff like what was originally posted in this thread.  No surprise to see TAMU, Tower and Wades all chime in on this as those were 3 of the "geniuses" (in addition to Lenny) that all last season that refused to concede the coaching decisions Buzz made were awful...

I guess my position is, for how long do these guys want to continue to carry on with the ridiculousness?  I would have felt all of the egg on their face last season and in the immediate aftermath of Buzz leaving would have been enough for them to "let go."  But instead we find Lenny authoring up this gem of a thread.

Bottom line - Buzz Williams wasn't doing all he could do to win games at MU last season.  He was "gone" as of January 1.  His elaborate contract with VaTech that he negotiated himself (as he doesn't have an agent), isn't exactly something that gets done and worked out in a matter of days.  Yet some just can't fathom that was actually the case and refuse to believe Buzz didn't give a sh$t if MU won games last season.  Didn't care about developing the freshman...because he was G-O-N-E.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »
I have no problem letting things go...but...

hehe