[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Here's A Problem  (Read 15939 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Here's A Problem
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:01:09 AM »
Perception is reality, aina? I've spent the past 3 days walkin' all around The Hills with my navy blue MU hat on the entire time. Didn't matter if I was on Wilshire, Rodeo, Sunset, Beverly, or in the hotel, not once did anybody ax me or comment on my college loyalty. Does Marquette have any left coast name recognition? What's up, y'all?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Archies Bat

• All American
Re: Here's A Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:05:40 AM »
Perception is reality, aina? I've spent the past 3 days walkin' all around The Hills with my navy blue MU hat on the entire time. Didn't matter if I was on Wilshire, Rodeo, Sunset, Beverly, or in the hotel, not once did anybody ax me or comment on my college loyalty. Does Marquette have any left coast name recognition? What's up, y'all?

Maybe it was you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »
Last time I was on the west coast (about a month ago) I had a Marquette shirt on and had a nice conversation with one of the locals about the University and basketball.  It has happened before.  It's not the most well known university in the world, but it is hardly unknown.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »

I got a comment on my MU hoodie yesterday at the Best Buy in Oakdale.  Dude said  "love Marquette".

Last weekend at Hells Kitchen, waiter said thank god your not a Wisconsin fan.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 10:11:52 AM »
Definitely have had people mention it all over Southern Cal.  It is Northern Cal that no one seems to care.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »
I live in SF. Occasionally see an MU cap or t-shirt. College sports aren't huge here. It's Giants, Niners, Warriors, A's, Sharks...in that order. See Cal and Stanford stuff...but not a ton.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »
I live in SF. Occasionally see an MU cap or t-shirt. College sports aren't huge here. It's Giants, Niners, Warriors, A's, Sharks...in that order. See Cal and Stanford stuff...but not a ton.
By occasionally you mean? I can't remember seeing an MU shirt outside the state.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »

This.

College stuff is Cal or Stanford. In San Jose, it's San Jose State and Santa Clara.
Lots of other stuff are alumni wearing their colors or just Jordan/Nike apparel.

FWIW, I saw a early 2000s dark green Toyota Camry in San Jose with a Marquette license plate frame (beaten up). I was stoked I took a picture. smdh
SS Marquette

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »
When I wear MU gear out of state, most who comment say "Go Mizzou!"

cnse70

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 12:12:15 PM »
Plenty of MU love in SoCal.  At least in San Diego.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »
Last weekend I was running in Las Vegas in an MU tank top and a 60ish guy pulled up next to me in a Corvette.

Him: You go to Marquette?
Me:  Yeah!
Him: I went to Notre Dame.
Me:  I'm sorry...
Have some patience, FFS.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »
Maybe people know the name and don't need to ask "is that in Michigan?!". The only time I give a shoutout to someone wearing a shirt is if it's one of my teams, I know there are MU people out there, but probably not that many.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »
The logos that confuse people the most:

Mizzou:

Michigan:

Funny thing is I have never had anyone tell me, "Go Mississippi" or "Go Montana."
SS Marquette

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 01:27:39 PM »
Vegas loves MU. I've gotten comments on my MU gear in 20+ different states.

Was recently at a clothier. Guy goes, "Marquette, yeah! My nephew goes to XXXXX"... don't know what he said but had never heard of it.. I told him he might be confused... "I'm missing how that relates to Marquette" I told him... another case of a gimp thinking of the UP/Michigan.

Would have left the store immediately but the deal I was getting was wonderful. Bought my stuff and told him to get bent.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 01:28:26 PM »
The logos that confuse people the most:

Mizzou:

Michigan:

Funny thing is I have never had anyone tell me, "Go Mississippi" or "Go Montana."

Don't forget this one:

Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
Vegas loves MU. I've gotten comments on my MU gear in 20+ different states.

Was recently at a clothier. Guy goes, "Marquette, yeah! My nephew goes to XXXXX"... don't know what he said but had never heard of it.. I told him he might be confused... "I'm missing how that relates to Marquette" I told him... another case of a gimp thinking of the UP/Michigan.

Would have left the store immediately but the deal I was getting was wonderful. Bought my stuff and told him to get bent.

You're the coolest.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 01:31:18 PM »
Can anyone from Chicago explain to me why when I interviewed all over Chicago after finishing graduate school almost no one said they had heard of Marquette?

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »
Can anyone from Chicago explain to me why when I interviewed all over Chicago after finishing graduate school almost no one said they had heard of Marquette?

You were being interviewed by Ivy Leaguers.

That's why.
SS Marquette

chapman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »
I never get comments in NC.  But I just wear a t-shirt once in a while.  My dad will visit with an eyesore hat, gaudy jacket, take a walk around the neighborhood wearing MU sweatpants...he's able to find someone almost every day.  So I guess the lesson is not to be subtle.  And make sure relatives know to bring other clothing options when they visit after a humiliating defeat to a local school.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
I don't think people recognize the logo...but they sure recognize the name.  Understandable since the logo is a relative newbie.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »
I never get comments in NC.  But I just wear a t-shirt once in a while.  My dad will visit with an eyesore hat, gaudy jacket, take a walk around the neighborhood wearing MU sweatpants...he's able to find someone almost every day.  So I guess the lesson is not to be subtle.  And make sure relatives know to bring other clothing options when they visit after a humiliating defeat to a local school.

I live in Charlotte. Just Friday, I went to Costco and to the grocery store. A woman giving away samples in Costco saw my t-shirt and said, "I love Marquette. One of my best friend's husband went there and all he does is rave about it."

At the Costco register, the check-out guy said, "Marquette had a rough season last year. How you gonna do this year?"

In the parking lot, a guy asked me if Marquette was in Michigan.

At the grocery store, a guy asked me if I went to Marquette and said he had a friend who went there.

So that's 3 out of 4 in just a two-hour span in a land far, far away from Milwaukee.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 02:36:56 PM »
Perception is reality, aina? I've spent the past 3 days walkin' all around The Hills with my navy blue MU hat on the entire time.

Did your sweat stains cover up the logo?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 02:58:13 PM »
I'm a little surprised anyone outside of Michigan or northern Wisconsin would think Marquette, Michigan when someone sees a Marquette shirt. Can't imagine too many people outside the hinterland know where Northern Michigan University is located either. I grew up in Michigan so almost everyone thought I was going to school in the U.P. instead of Milwaukee, even though it's straight across the lake from where I grew up.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

source?

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »
I'm a little surprised anyone outside of Michigan or northern Wisconsin would think Marquette, Michigan when someone sees a Marquette shirt. Can't imagine too many people outside the hinterland know where Northern Michigan University is located either. I grew up in Michigan so almost everyone thought I was going to school in the U.P. instead of Milwaukee, even though it's straight across the lake from where I grew up.

I think it shows up on most weather maps when they do forecasting just because there's nothing else up there.

I've had the MU logo recognized on a hat in Peru and a hoodie in Greece (both times by fellow travelers).Talked college hoops with a UCLA grad for a couple hours on a train from Cusco to Machu Picchu. Sort of a passing "hey, Marquette!" from the guy in Greece.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
I'm a Marquette alum and diehard fan, but I don't generally comment on the shirts of people I see on the street.  While it may be true that there is not much recognition, I don't think that is demonstrated here one way or another.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 03:30:04 PM »

Did anyone say they hadn't heard of Marquette? I would assume no one mentioned anything cause it's implied they have heard of Marquette. If I interview someone from Purdue I don't say, "oh, I've heard of that place! They used to have that basketball coach with the really bad comb-over, right?" It would strike me as odd if someone in a professional Chicago setting has never heard of MU. I think the dental hygentist I last saw was one of the first Chicagoans who hadn't heard of Marquette, and I'm thinking she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer since her boss, my dentist, went to MU for undergrad and dental school and does nothing but blab about it when finding my cavities.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 07:06:34 PM »
Nobody in Beverly Hills is going to talk to a guy wearing a cap

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
I can confirm SoCal is a Marquette friendly area.  Been many times, but most recently Labor Day weekend at LaCosta and got a ton (10+ is my threshold for 'a ton') of shout outs.

Also, I live in KC and though i do get a decent amount of Mizzou comments (place is lousy with Mizzou and KU folks----don't get me started on how much $ i lost in 2003) i get 'ring out ahoya' at the grocery store, people stop to take pictures of our snowman when we put a Jerel McNeal jersey on it, and i also get 'thank God you're not another ND grad' a lot.

I think we have great brand recognition.  Given we are a small(ish) university without a major football team i'd say we're way over achieving.  If you use Xavier as a parallel (similar sized market, Jesuit, small(ish), BBall, etc.) how often does anyone see their brand out and about?  

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »
I get the occasional comment on my Marquette gear by some of the locals down here in Texas. There's actually a nice sized group of alums here in Aggieland.

My sister did the South Africa exchange program last year. I had a few bucks saved up so I went to visit her. While I was there I ran into a family of Villanova fans and a Butler fan. We chatted about the new BEast and lamented over football taking over everything.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »
I was out in LA the week we lost to Washington in the NCAA Tournament and went to the Bucks vs. Clippers game at the Staples Center wearing my Marquette sweatshirt.  While I was walking in some guy stopped me and asked if I'd want to go on the court and meet Steve Novak after the game.  Of course I said yes and met with some MU grads after the game, went on the court, met Marc Jackson (who called the game on TV)...and Steve Novak never showed up.  I also talked to an alum in their gift shop in the Staples Center.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 07:45:18 PM »

hard to see your hat when you're peepin in windows from the shrubs, bro.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
hard to see your hat when you're peepin in windows from the shrubs, bro.

Speaking of peeping in windows in SoCal, I was walking along the boardwalk on Manhattan Beach a couple months ago and one of the basically all-glass houses had an Emmy sitting right on the table along the glass.  Must enjoy the attention.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:58:55 PM by Ellenson's World »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »
Did anyone say they hadn't heard of Marquette? I would assume no one mentioned anything cause it's implied they have heard of Marquette. If I interview someone from Purdue I don't say, "oh, I've heard of that place! They used to have that basketball coach with the really bad comb-over, right?" It would strike me as odd if someone in a professional Chicago setting has never heard of MU. I think the dental hygentist I last saw was one of the first Chicagoans who hadn't heard of Marquette, and I'm thinking she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer since her boss, my dentist, went to MU for undergrad and dental school and does nothing but blab about it when finding my cavities.

Yes, they actually said it... probably happened with about half the companies I interviewed with. One idiot also wanted to hear about "beerfest" (read: SummerFest) in Milwaukee.

Of course, one place I interviewed with in NYC the guy said he was so excited to talk to a Marquette graduate because he was from Al McGuire's hometown, and he wanted to visit Milwaukee one day.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 08:43:14 PM »
Bunch of folk wearin MU stuff up in the twin cities.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 12:14:07 AM »
I'm a Marquette alum and diehard fan, but I don't generally comment on the shirts of people I see on the street.  While it may be true that there is not much recognition, I don't think that is demonstrated here one way or another.

I comment all the time, especially if I believe the person might have a decent sense of humor.

My go-to line is: "Notre Dame (or whichever school is on the shirt)? I guess you couldn't get into Marquette, huh?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 12:34:40 AM »
Yes, they actually said it... probably happened with about half the companies I interviewed with. One idiot also wanted to hear about "beerfest" (read: SummerFest) in Milwaukee.

I would have expected he wanted to hear about Oktoberfest.
SS Marquette

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 07:25:40 AM »
Don't forget this one:

Whenever they see this logo, my kids constantly tell me, "Look Dad, Monsters stole the Marquette letters."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:12:53 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 06:55:51 PM »
If I am not working I am seldom not wearing some type of MU gear. Had a guy at airport in Shanghai comment on my sweatshirt last trip and a woman in gym mention as well. One was alum and the other had daughter going to MU.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »

Ellenson MU newb, go to bed.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2014, 11:05:37 PM »
Speaking of peeping in windows in SoCal, I was walking along the boardwalk on Manhattan Beach a couple months ago and one of the basically all-glass houses had an Emmy sitting right on the table along the glass.  Must enjoy the attention.

Ellenson all-american, you're cool.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »
Bunch of folk wearin MU stuff up in the twin cities.

Ellenson poor grammared pre-teen, go to class.